Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Brexit discussion thread XIV (Please read OP before posting)

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,960 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quin_Dub

Yup just like the Blue Passports thing - They could have had all that stuff all along , but just never bothered.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,959 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Things getting a bit surreal - Johnson to announce the return of Imperial weights and measures and that decimal ones are no longer required or mandatory

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/scales-of-justice-tilt-towards-the-metric-martyr-638vfn655

• Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Crowns on pint glasses but not enough beer to fill them. Brexit in a nutshell

• Registered Users Posts: 28,014 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It does appear there was no reason why Britain could not have a crown (as well as a CE mark), its not entirely clear why it was dropped.

Dropped because it was a trivial thing and of no importance to anyone. The post-Brexit guys have gone full on bonkers....elevating things like flags, blue passports, crowns on glasses and pounds and ounces to ludicrous importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,230 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Imperial weights were never outlawed by the EU. They were just required to use Metric measurements alongside imperial for consumer goods

Where imperial was not used, it was because they were not needed or wanted.

“I’d like a box of 50mg capsules of ibuprofen please”

”we don’t sell them here, I’ll give you some 0.00000395 qrt capsules instead”

• Registered Users Posts: 16,452 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

Is this trying to dumb down the nation?

Everything is manufactured using metric these days, the labels are converted to imperial for the fuddy duddies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

Brexit was in my opinion a vote against the current and perceived future immigration situation in Britain,without that issue it would never happened.So all these stories regarding EU lorry drivers going home and the swathe of other similiar stories regarding other industries experiencing similiar issues with staff np longer around is exactly what a proportion of the Leave voters wanted to happen so to them these headlines are proving Brexit is working and delivering on it promise.Far from admitting its a disaster they will feel its very much a success.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

All you need to know about the UK's attitude to data protection is that the big sell off of medical data meant you had to find out for yourself how to opt-out of the GPDPR.

Not to be confused with the GDPR where opt-in consent is mandatory for sharing to third parties.

• Administrators Posts: 53,335 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

It's just the Tories trying to play to the crowd a bit. Nothing more.

• Advertisement

A lot of truth in that, hence the Brexiteer / Leave voter denial about there being any food shortages. There can hardly be shortages if EU workers (including drivers) were a 'burden' on the country and surplus to requirements.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭KildareP

Ironic. Blames it on the EU "red tape".

Yes, red tape, red tape that the country you base your business out of willingly and voluntarily voted to subject yourselves to.

To paraphrase a certain cohort, "You won, get over it".

• Registered Users Posts: 17,838 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

would you notice anything in an M&S in Dublin?, almost curious to pop into the one in Blackrock. have they had to switch their dairy to Irish?

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,021 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

For quite a while now, the UK pub trade has mostly sourced its glassware from the Czech Republic. Czech manufacturers were happy to manufacture glasses with a crown stamp if asked, but very few purchasers asked because, well, why would you? The reason it largely fell out of use is basically because there was no reason to use it, and nobody cared whether it was used or not.

There are plenty of older glasses still in use that have the crown mark, and any publican who wanted new glasses with the crown mark could have them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

We have a local M&S Food in Santry and since the axe fell there has always been a noticeable number of shelves lacking stock. During the first Lockdown it was positively barren. They hide it well with creative shelving techniques so nothing's fully empty, but much of the fresh meat sections (of which it was often British) lacks quantity and choice. Many of the ready meals are the same, lacking numbers. Now, maybe I just have bad timing and I'm visiting too early / late to see the resting stock - but I don't think so. I've seen what's in the staff's trollies and there's never that much to pack.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,472 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

Whilst I fully understand the thinking behind the latest announcement regarding weights and measures and the crown stamp as it feeds directly into the headlines and feel good factor, like blue passports, that continues to throw crumbs to the masses whilst hiding the disaster happening in front of them I do question whether the government has thought this through (thats not true, I'm not questioning at all, I know they haven't).

Whilst annoucements like this will undoubtedly sell well into Brexitland, it comes on the same week the Frost is demanding that the EU negotiate and, in relation to NI, ease up on the regulations since they are the UK are sure aren't standards the same.

This highlights have quickly and without any real consideration the UK will change regulations and that the EU cannot possibly trust the UK not to make rash changes in the future. In the discussions, what answer can the UK reps give when the reasonable question from the EU side comes as to how to protect the EU when standards change? The UK position seems to be that leave everything as is and only worry about it if something changes.

But in reality, that means that the EU needs to pay constant attention to UK law and UK policies in case anything changes, shifting the responsibility, and risk, from the UK to the EU.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

Well, dumbing down I think is the wrong idea. It is pandering to the dumb.

The RTE programme - Operation Transformation - is about people turning their life around by losing significant excess weight in hope of improving their health and their life. They measure all weights in stones and pounds and not Kilograms. Participants are given weight loss targets in lbs over the coming week, instead of in Kilos. Why not go metric as most people who went to school over the last 40 years learnt through metric measures? Or is it the programme makers who think that the audience and participants are too dumb to be able to understand the metric weights?

As I say - pandering to the dumb.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭Christy42

Weirdly I think we still have only half a metric system. Most people are more familiar in Ireland with body weight in stones even if kilos is used for everything else.

Granted I am not sure what this did? I mean we can still order things in imperial in the EU. I have occasionally ordered using imperial in the butchers. You still get a "quarter pounder" in mcd.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭Glaceon

Ireland has always been a bit of a strange one in that regard. Before 2005 our speed limit signs were imperial but our distance signs were metric. Height and weight are almost all imperial. I don't remember being taught imperial units in school, anything I do remember was metric.

Back on topic, I always felt like Brexit was largely a generational divide and this shift back to imperial units reinforces that in my mind. A country run by the elderly, for the elderly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,539 ✭✭✭20silkcut

I can’t get to grips with kilometres and still think in miles. Most people still quote miles when describing distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭dublin49

I wonder did they factor in all the food packaging that might need to be altered to allow the return to ounces and lbs (would imagine theres billions in play here),or will this be the first real battle between EU current laws on packaging and Boris's bone to the the rabid brexiteers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,579 ✭✭✭roadmaster

Heres a mad taught for M&S instead of worring about brexit paperwork how about they use irish food suppliers

• Registered Users Posts: 24,297 ✭✭✭✭breezy1985

Metric is just simply better. It's absolutely unbelievable to be linking antiquated measurements to patriotism.

I swear we are dealing with a nation of absolute children

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,061 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

In fairness, I've lived here since 2011 and can't recall a single instance of anyone demanding imperial measurements. I'm also quite sure that the EU doesn't decide this. Part of me thinks this is some form of Empire nostalgia but since even Australia won't meekly kowtow to Johnson, this will have to do.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 19,337 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sam Russell

An interesting aside re metric vs imperial.

About 10 years ago, I was getting work done on my house that required significant plumbing. I was advised by various workers on site not to get any plumbing items from B&Q as 'they don't fit'.

I was unaware why until I sourced some items in NI. I was told that 'Ireland is not metric but UK is'. Our plumbing is all imperial while UK (inc NI) is metric. Our pipe size is half inch, three quarter inch, and one inch, while NI is 15 mm, 20 mm and 25 mm. Now the imperial is outside diameter while metric is internal dia. So no wonder there is a problem with fit between them. [I never knew that - the olives used in compression joints are not interchangeable! Hence why B&Q stuff does not fit.]

Now does Johnson intend to rewrite the plumbing standards used in the UK when he reverts to imperial measures?

I can't help thinking this is meant as a distraction from the total failure of Brexit. They can't offer up any 'wins' so they retreat into flags and symbolism. It's truly desperate stuff....as if blue passports, crowns on glasses and pounds & ounces will do anything to improve people's lives.

Britain introduced the Florin (£0.10p) in 1849 as a first step to decimalisation - just over a century before the foundation of the EEC/EC/EU.

The ludicrous thing is that the Brexiteers are trying to spin this as some sort of 'anti-EU' thing, when virtually the entire planet uses metric and decimal, including the Commonwealth countries.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,258 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

There is no battle to be had here; UK can ask for what ever they want on their packaging including random gooblie goop. However; any manufacturer exporting to EU would need to have the relevant metric listed on the packaging which means additional cost and may simply decide it's not worth the hassle (goes in both directions). If it's simply a "possibility" (which is the stated case) of advertising / selling in lbs etc. in the UK I don't give a fig. All it will cause is some pee in the pants goodness for some people and a lot of confusion/ignored by the vast majority of people. It reminds me of Frost comment that "See Brexit is not a failure because all the things the Remoaners said would happen have not happened" yet can't actually point to something positive only that not all the bad stuff happened.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,228 ✭✭✭Breezer

I work in a scientific field that involves weighing people on a reasonably regular basis. The scale gives the weight in kilos. Every single Irish person, of any age, without fail, asks me “What’s that?” Meaning “what’s that in stones and pounds?” And without fail, I answer “I have no idea,” and I punch it into my computer to translate it for them.

I don’t get it. I would get it for older people who learned imperial measurements in school, but how many decades have we been teaching metric now? I’m in my mid thirties and can obviously visualise a pint, and I know a mile is 1.6km. After that, I haven’t a notion what imperial measurements are.

Advertisement