Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin Airport Bus Service Changes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭soundman45

But these 2 routes are identical as far as Blackrock, passenger numbers beyond that point would be light even at the best of times.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

I'm really hoping the aircoach Greystones route goes back to 24/7 service in the next month or so. Aerlingus changed my flight from 10:29am to 6:40am and there's no public transport options to get from South Dublin to the airport at the moment at that time. Seems a bit crazy as flights are running early in the morning.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

That's not quite true about no public transport from "south Dublin" - the Aircoach 700 from Leopardstown serving Sandyford and Stillorgan has departures at 04:00 and 04:30 that arrive at the Airport for 04:55 and 05:25.

• Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭newbie18892

Those departure times definitely don't give enough time in the airport before a 6:40am flight considering we're supposed to be there 2 hours in advance of flight times (not even including the extra time for Covid checks they recommend)

An 04:55 arrival for a local bus within Dublin for an 06:40 short haul departure would always have been sufficient.

The only reason the airport wanted people there 2 hours beforehand was to get you to spend money there.

90 minutes was always my cut off.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭john boye

I arrived at the airport at 450am for a 7am flight from T2 last Friday morning and it was far too early. Even arriving at 530 would have left a lot of time twiddling your thumbs as many outlets don't seem to be opening as early as they did pre-pandemic (though it's still advisable to give yourself at least 90 minutes just in case).

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 11,582 Mod ✭✭✭✭devnull

DoDublin now openly advertising Aircoach on their front page and now Aircoach are also selling DoDublin tours on their website.

Might seem strange Aircoach and Dublin Bus linking up but in reality at present, they are not really competitors.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Am I right in saying that the 702/703 only stops at Cardiff Lane coming from the airport? Looking at hotel options for a quick aircoach to the airport and I'm lost. You can book Airport -> Cardiff Lane but not the other way round, but they do offer a return ticket. Very odd.

The return ticket takes into account Samuel Beckett Bridge as the place to catch the bus from to the airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

It also allows them to mismanage the security queues and then blame customers for not allowing for that :-#

• Advertisement

Thats correct as the bus returing to the airport picks up on the quays opposite cardiff lane, in the evening times buses were often stuck on macken st and cardiff lane for an hour or more so the route was altered and after the ballsbridge it goes via mount st, westland row, tara st onto north quays.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭p_haugh

Just to note that their map for routes 702/703 is inaccurate on their website, it currently shows the northbound services for both routes going via the toll bridge, with the Samuel Beckett stop seemingly located right beside the 3arena stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,729 ✭✭✭ebbsy

Got to the airport at 7.00am for the 9.45am to Newcastle on Tuesday, no real delays getting through.

Used the blue car park for the first time. It was convenient and cheap.

Newcastle airport has a metro attached to it, very useful. £5 to travel within all the zones is good value for the day.

Slightly improved Aircoach 700 service from 7th November as services continue to slowly be ramped up.

This sees the addition of a service at 23.55 from Dublin Airport and a 3.30am from Leopardstown (previous earliest was 4am since services resumed).

Anybody any idea what passenger numbers are like on the 700/702/703 Aircoach services since they resumed.

Aircoach are increasing the number of services on the Cork route from 5th December.

On a Monday, Friday, Saturday and Sunday there will be 15 services in each direction (was 13) and on Tuesdays, Wednesdays, and Thursdays there will be 12 services in each direction (previously 10). Full details on the timetables page of Aircoach.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,282 ✭✭✭D.L.R.

The Aircoach Dalkey/Killiney service (703) is absolutely awful since they dropped the east link route in favour of a long and uncomfortable route through town. It used to take 45 mins now it takes 1h15 or more. No reduction in fare to match reduction in speed of course!

Those living along the Dart line are quicker getting the Dart into Tara St and transferring to the Dublin Express service outside the Custom House, for a faster and less vomit inducing journey. Unlike some of the other baffling routes, Dublin Express actually utilises the rail connection. Imagine that!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,297 ✭✭✭dublinman1990

That is an odd decision for the 703. Why would Aircoach reroute it through town while it adds an extra 30 minutes at minimum to the route's journey time? Do any of the Dublin Express routes run through O'Connell Street to get to or from the Airport or would they use the port tunnel?

I'd see that Aircoach have put up newer bus pole flags at their stops. I had a look at the new design on Darren Hall's Flickr photostream. The colour of the new flags look nice. However I thought the trend of private bus operators having their own bus poles here would soon become a thing of the past with services being integrated on one bus pole at each stop. Is that process going to become the norm from the NTA soon?

I would have thought that the reason for the route taken would be fairly obvious.

It's a commercial coach service and they need bums on seats to make it pay.

The revised route takes them past a lot more hotels which means more people potentially using it.

It also maintains the service through Ballsbridge since the the main city centre route (route 700) was re-routed along Leeson Street in both directions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,710 ✭✭✭crushproof

I've taken the 703 3 times since summer. However the other day I took the DART from Dun Laoghaire and then the Dublin Express. Low and behold it was faster than the 703. The route the Aircoach now takes is absolutely ridiculous and I've never seen anyone be picked up along the new route through town. It just gets bogged down in traffic, I will say it is slightly better than the Macken Street farce which took 2 hours once!

A real degradation of the service and no wonder the last time I was it there was only 2 other passengers.

Dublin Express uses the tunnel yes. No intermediate stops, about 20-25 mins.

Will never use Aircoach again!

Lost the DL market in the process though.

The whole point of the original route was as a DL-DUB express service. There's now zero point using this service anywhere south of Ballsbridge.

Dart + Dublin Express is faster, more comfortable AND cheaper. No brainer.

• Registered Users Posts: 927 ✭✭✭d51984

Theres talk of a new route to Clontarf via R132 / Clarehall and Donaghmede starting up early next year.

Its a disgrace Joe!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,785 ✭✭✭thomasj

The new N8 from Blanchardstown to Clongriffin via the Airport should also be up and running sometime next year hopefully. Will be interesting to see how the two fair.

Just coming back to the 703 for a second.

I'd imagine the route for it changed to go through the CC after the Airlinks were cancelled during the end of August because of Covid. It may be the big reason why going past most of the hotels in town to try & bring out to the airport.

The 747 from Heuston Station to the Airport used to go past Westmoreland Street & O'Connell Street right up until Covid hit it & the 757 in 2020.

As soon as Airlink was cancelled by Dublin Bus at the end of August; Aircoach just took the opportunity along with Dublin Express to take over getting a lot of the passengers at those stops since Airlink was scrapped.

No they changed the 703 well before Covid, at least 3-4 years ago.

As I posted above, the change was to replace the 700 through Ballsbridge when it was switched to serving Leeson Street in both directions.

Then drop the price accordingly for the slower, inferior service.

• Advertisement

RTÉ News has just reported that a crash has occurred between a truck & a number of cars & buses on the T1 departures road at Dublin Airport.

The truck collided into a number of vehicles at the time. The truck eventually stopped near the Circle K Garage at Dublin Airport. One taxi driver had to be cut out from his car with help from emergency services. It appears the truck driver had suffered a medical emergency while driving the truck.

The departure road and main exit road at Dublin Airport are now closed at this time. Diversions are in place for the rest of the night.

What a frightening incident. I hope the truck driver recovers from that horrible ordeal.

Does anyone know what buses were involved in the collision?

Advertisement