Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Quite an interesting interview with Stephen Kenny here.

His knowledge and ability to analyse games is better than I've ever heard any Ireland manager. Very impressive stuff listening to him talk about Portugal here.

Listened to the soccer show for the first time in ages because of the Kenny interview. As interested as I was it was hard to get through it all because of how atrocious the interviewer was. Wanted nothing but a headline.

Listened to the soccer show for the first time in ages because of the Kenny interview. As interested as I was it was hard to get through it all because of how atrocious the interviewer was. Wanted nothing but a headline.

Kenny is not an easy person to interview for many reasons: he leaves loads of dead air with his lengthy pauses, he tends to ramble off topic and sometimes doesn't address the question put to him.

I thought did the interviewer did fine and enjoyed the piece.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Journalist looks for story in interview shocker.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Journalist looks for story in interview shocker.

The funny thing is from the sounds of it, it was Kenny who wanted to break his silence on his health scare in light of the Cristian Eriksen incident. Nathan Murphy mentioned that Kenny had brought it up himself before the interview and was keen to speak about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,600 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Listened to a big chunk of the Saturday show with John Duggan today, he was fine on Today FM but he really isn't cut out as a presenter. Find it an awful struggle to listen to him, I'd usually be a fan of Dan McDonnell who was on too but even found myself struggling to keep interest with him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Teletext

Wolves 1 Nothingham Forrset 0

Manchecter United : Luton Town: Score Draw

And this zombie rises from the dead!

I had never listened to Duggan before his move to OTB, but I find his hosting of the Saturday show to be very poor. He just can't seem to control a conversation between multiple participants. He also has an awful habit of failing to direct his question to one person when they are on phone lines and can't read his body language which leads to confusion and multiple guests talking over each other.

His interview with Brian Dooher a few weeks ago when Tyrone withdrew from the Championship was funny. He took it all at face value and asked the most earnest questions and was heaping pity on Tyrone for their plight. Not once did he think that it was a cynical ploy by Tyrone.

On a positive note, Damien Delaney continues to be the best football pundit in the Irish media at the moment. His contributions to OTB are second to none.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,984 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What's up with ads on their podcasts? Someone will literally be in the middle of a sentence and it cuts to an ad. At first I thouhgt it was just a glitch but it's being going on for months now. Christ lads wait till a change of topic or at least wait until the sentence is finished. Really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,820 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Who is the lad on today’s Sunday paper review. Loves his own voice and keeps talking over the other guest. Also some inappropriate phrase used about a town in west Cork. Needs to think before spouting out stuff really

some good conversation ruined by this fella

Johnny Ward. He said Glengarriff was in the arsehole of West Cork. Probably not the best choice of words, but hardly the end of the world. I think he just meant in the back of beyonds.

The rest of his contributions were quite good and insightful and wasn't afraid to have a pop at Brolly, when a lot of others in the media would be afraid to.

I only heard one interruption and that was down to him being in the studio and Timmy McCarthy on a slightly delayed link.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

Is that the same Johnny Ward that does be on RTEs Game On?

I can't stand him if he is, very thick rural accent and not very clear speaking. Like his tongue is too big for his mouth!

Just comes across as the lad always talking about bookies odds etc.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 352 ✭✭bossdrum

Calling anywhere the arsehole of an area is not just a bad choice of words.

This Johnny Ward guy seems like a bit of a fool, thankfully I've given up listening to newstalk so I've never heard of him before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Timmy McCarthy going on that it was a “tragedy” for Michelle smith that she is not celebrated in Ireland.

Sounds like you are in a great position to make a comment on the matter in that case.

• Advertisement

Funny, that's what I took away from the segment rather than Johnny's slip of the tongue. Sounds like Timmy would have gotten on with Jimmy Magee.

With regard to his accent - it's a rural Galway accent and he doesn't try to hide like many others on the radio.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

id be more confused by him referring to it as the arsehole of cork, it’s a fierce busy and popular spot, very well known. Odd comment.

was that his first gig on the Sunday papers? Seemed far too excited and enthusiastic, trying to impress with all his research. Painful listening to him. Other fella wasn’t much better with his long winded lament for Michelle Smith and the way she was dropped like a hot snot by the Irish public for that small doping issue.

He probably meant it as "the back arse of nowhere" kinda way?

I never heard of a place being referred to as the arsehole of X. That saying would make it sound like it's the worst dump in Cork.

Jesus that Pat Nevin lad is an awful dose. Asked about the tackle on Harvey Elliot at the Liverpool match and said he didn't think it was even a foul. It's almost turning into Talksport at this stage with the silly opinions.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,328 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I wouldn’t call it a silly opinion. It’s not actually a tackle from behind I don’t believe according to the rules of the game. The definition of the tackle from behind is that Elliot would have to had being between struijk and the ball. He wasn’t.

• Advertisement

He's been on the paper review a few times before.

I think it's pretty clear it was a slip of tongue and he just meant the middle of nowhere because Glengarriff is beautiful and very busy spot, as you say.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

Car crash stuff at the start of the programme today.

One thing that wasn't brought up was equal pay for male and female international players . Why is it seen as mandatory for soccer players, but not even raised in the context of rugby?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Because things happen in steps/phases no?

If advocates for the practice immediately said it should happen for both, would there not be claims that one side was only doing it because of the other and not paying attention to specifically how it would work for them?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭UpTheSlashers

My point is that the usual suspects aren't even calling for equal pay in rugby, but said it was outrageous that it didn't happen in soccer until this year.

The FAI has been a shambles of an organisation and has been it able to make it happen. The IRFU have no plans for equality but the rugby bros are still held up as the bastions of morality.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭Lost Ormond

Because its quite different in each sport? FAI dont employ any of the internationals and they pay the players for international call ups only which isnt case in rugby

I always enjoyed Keith Andrews punditry and RTE stuff but he is really not selling or defending the Kenny project here, tough ask in fairness but he is talking through his hoop.

Thought it was a very good interview. One of the last things he said was telling - it's obvious he can only say so much and can never reveal his true thoughts on certain issues. He made very good sense on most issues but didn't give a proper explanation of why Ireland persisted with playing out from the back against Luxembourg when they copped very early that all they had to do was push us into one corner with a very high press when we didn't have a plan B. Given Andrews contacted OTB and suggested doing the interview, it was very clearly PR, but he didn't hide that and it's good to see some transparency in the current set-up. With contract renewals coming down the track, it's very much about winning the PR battle and football fans over at this stage if they want another campaign.

Will John Giles ever be cut from Newstalk? I happened to be listening on Thursday and he's painful to listen to.

"back in those days Nathan..."

"It was different back then Nathan"

He went on about Roger Hunt and was saying Liverpool fans used to call him Lord Roger (was actually Sir Roger).

Then they went on about some lad that played in the 1965 'cup final' who broke a collar bone but played on and of course as expected...."did you ever have a painful injury in your time John where you played on through it?"

Joe Molloy is a super presenter. Brilliant voice, excellent speech and gets his point across well.

Great that he is young so we hopefully have 20+ years of him involved in sports radio.

When Nathan is on I hate how much time they spend blabbering about non sports stuff. One of the days himself and the other chaps spent far too much time talking about shopping via click and collect. They treat it too much like a podcast...some sports podcasts I listen to go into that general life stuff too but they should stop it on the radio.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

I can't be the only one who still likes Giles. The stuff you seem to not like is the stuff I like. It's only 30 mins a week so isn't gratuitous.

I do think the presenters are helping him a bit more than they used to but he is 80 so that's to be expected.

He did get them out of hole during Covid too with his various best of teams.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,174 ✭✭✭Xander10

He still is the best reader of a game.

He does tend to repeat himself a bit,all part of the aging process, but happy to have him on to listen to over most other pundits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,254 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

Just wondering how the Kenny fanboys on OTB are managing to contain their excitement over the huge wins over Qatar and Azerbaijan with the fact that the naughty anti vaxxer scored 5 goals in those games?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,254 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

The best reader of the game?

Liverpool got 96 and 99 points in the league in consecutive seasons but Giles didn't rate them cos they didn't have a "creative midfielder" like himself.

He was hyping up Curtis Jones the last week saying he's a real good player (he is a good player in fairness) but he was saying he's what Liverpool needs because he knows when to speed up or slow down the tempo. Giles seemed to think he was a deep lying playmaker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

The day that we no longer have Jonny Giles on the airwaves will be a very dark day indeed.

I happened to be listening to one of his "best of" teams where he was selecting Evertons best ever team. He just focused on players from decades ago. Sure, maybe Everton were a top team back then but he didn't even bring the likes of Leighton Baines, Lineker or even a teenage sensation Wayne Rooney into the conversation.

https://www.toffeeweb.com/season/19-20/comment/talkingpoints/39574.html

It feels like they have Giles on out of nostalgia/loyalty more so than anything else. There's so many good contributors/pundits out there and Giles isn't one of them, which is fair enough considering his age.

Yeah they have him purely because he's a legend and they don't want to cut him because he's been cut from everything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,646 ✭✭✭RINO87

This is exactly it tho. It's a nostalgia piece, and it's great to have him. It's a view on football from a different era, one that we don't hear much anymore. Take it "on its merits" it's not supposed to be a hard hitting analysis of modern football...It's a chance to hear a legend of the game give his opinion and tell a few stories, and i love it.

Theres a whole hour dedicated to modern football analysis every night, and there's a reason why John has his own timeslot and is rarely featured on the football show.

I hope he never stops!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,861 ✭✭✭roadmaster

I have to say i taught yesterdays OTB AM was good entertainment for a monday morning with the two lads and the Leinster secretary

Just listened to the paper review from yesterday, thought it was very good. It has been quite poor in recent times particularly with Cliona Foley, Maire Treasa Ní Cheallaigh and Johnny Ward contributing so regularly.

Has Paul Kimmage been given the boot altogether from OTB and the paper review? I know he used drop the odd awkward f bomb but hardly seems reason to axe one of their best and most high profile contributors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,972 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Am I right in saying Joe did commentary on the Premier League game yesterday?

How did he come across doing it? Any sense is this something new he's going to be doing more of going forward or did he step in with Nathan or Stephen were unavailable for some reason or something?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,139 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Can't stand Kimmage personally, for all the good he done helping expose doping he can't cope with his opinion been challenged and comes across as arrogant and a attention seeker. Marie Thersa is an awful dose talking about Covid, studying to be a doctor seems to inflate her ego too.

He can be painful to listen to alright, seems like a tortured soul, deeply unhappy and troubled, a miserable aul f*cker basically but found him to be entertaining on the paper reviews as he pretty much said whatever he wanted which is perhaps why he’s gone MIA. I was wondering more so if he had been given the bullet for some specific reason…must be at least 3 years since he was on. Wouldn’t be much of a fan of his writing style in the sindo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,854 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

+1

kimmage - Absolutely full of his own self importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,656 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Post edited by For Forks Sake on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭shockframe

Anything with Maire TNC on means no listen from me anymore. I'd say many are the same and OTB know it full well.

I do like the Sunday review in general though. No real strong opinion on Kimmage even though hes a bit dour.

Some of the guests are very good. Martin,Foley, Hamilton, Mcdonnell, Cunningham. Even Ryle Nugent has been alright. It helps too that Joe Molloy is a decent host.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 335 ✭✭Astartes

Absolutely love Paul Kimmage. He triggers some people with his personality but his principles and integrity are second to none. Santy is not real.

Yeah was Joe alright. Thought he did a good enough job.

There was a woman doing commentary a couple of weeks ago for West Ham V Spurs. Without wanting to be sexist she was pretty poor. Not sure who she was though

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Yeah but he's a bit of a one trick pony ...and full of self regard

• Advertisement
Advertisement