Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options
  • 23-06-2021 4:50pm

Here comes the new thread

"Off the Ball is informed at all times by a high level of intelligence, on the part of men who have read good books… Off the Ball 5, RTE 0."- Sunday Independent

“Brilliant” - Broadsheet.ie

“A Radio Revolution” - The Irish Examiner

“Consistently entertaining” - The Sunday Business Post

Be nice, please - Mod
    Post edited by Beasty on
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ish66

I cant fault it, Presenters are good and very well informed.They cover a wide range of sports too. I would say its far better than RTE's output.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,964 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Ish66 wrote: »
    I cant fault it, Presenters are good and very well informed.They cover a wide range of sports too. I would say its far better than RTE's output.
    I'd agree, the toxic side of social media infiltrates this page at times, some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I used to tune in a lot but since March 2020 when they had no content to fill 5 hours a day I tuned out and might rarely catch a bit of the first half hour these days.

I check up the app and see if there are any interviews that might interest me now and then.

Also, I have never seen an OP on an entertainment forum with quotes telling us how great it is - the cynic in me would suggest an agenda at play.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 Donny Patterson

I'd agree, the toxic side of social media infiltrates this page at times, some people aren't happy unless they're complaining.

But the offtheball team do a fair bit of complaining. Recent examples are djokovic, the rainbow stadium in munich issue last night. The booing of taking the knee etc...
    Many people complain on all sides about many issues.
    But if ya agree with the complaint, then perhaps ya just see it as a point well made?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

But the offtheball team do a fair bit of complaining. Recent examples are djokovic, the rainbow stadium in munich issue last night. The booing of taking the knee etc...
    But if ya agree with the complaint, then perhaps ya just see it as a point well made?

Point well made - OTB seem to be full of people who advocate freedom of expression as long as it agrees with their own opinions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,321 ✭✭✭✭Utopia Parkway

I give out about OTB occasionally. Especially their tendency to moralise. But the Gaelic football pod with Andy Moran and Paddy Andrews is actually very good. Good analysis and the lads have a nice chemistry together where they can have a laugh at each others expense as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,710 ✭✭✭Ahwell

the rainbow stadium in munich issue last night. The booing of taking the knee etc...

...and yet again OTB, a mainstream sports program, gets it in the neck for covering the same stories in more or less the same way as all the other mainstream sports media. New thread, same tedious crap.

Maybe complaining wasn't the right word, some people aren't happy unless they're slating other individual's from the comfort of their armchair.

if someone is trying to condone booing of the knee then that says alot about them, if you think it's a token gesture etc. fair enough but booing it is completely uncalled for.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,237 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Ahwell wrote: »
    ...and yet again OTB, a mainstream sports program, gets it in the neck for covering the same stories in more or less the same way as all the other mainstream sports media. New thread, same tedious crap.

OTB is meant to be a sports show. I was in the car listening to their football show the day they were covering the England Hungary game. I think they spent 30 to 35 mins discussing racism and maybe 10mins on the game itself.

• Advertisement

I didn't say that.
    I'm not giving otb anything in the neck.

My point wasn't tedious crap. You're attacking me without reading what I wrote.
    I didn't say otb were correct or not. I was replying to a poster talking about people complaining.

I didn't say that.
    I'm not giving otb anything in the neck.

My point wasn't tedious crap. You're attacking me without reading what I wrote.
    I didn't say otb were correct or not. I was replying to a poster talking about people complaining.

You referred to their coverage "of the rainbow stadium in munich issue last night. The booing of taking the knee"...as complaining. I may be wrong, but that kind of implies that they are adopting positions on these stories that you yourself disagree with.

You referred to their coverage "of the rainbow stadium in munich issue last night. The booing of taking the knee"...as complaining.

But it's a sports show really the place for a long discussion on this? By all means mention it, but really it should be no more than in passing. The topics have been done to death on the the political programmes all day, I can't imagine their hot take is going to add much.

But it's a sports show really the place for a long discussion on this?

I think it is.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

OTB is meant to be a sports show. I was in the car listening to their football show the day they were covering the England Hungary game. I think they spent 30 to 35 mins discussing racism and maybe 10mins on the game itself.

Because the two issues had absolutely zero to do with sport considering they were occurring at a sports tournament?

If they just read out the scores all the time it would be a horrifically boring show.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

Ish66 wrote: »
    They do in their...

Rugby 90% of the time. I gave up listening a long time ago, only so much Woods, O'Gara and O'Driscoll reminiscing that I can stomach.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Because the two issues had absolutely zero to do with sport considering they were occurring at a sports tournament?

If they just read out the scores all the time it would be a horrifically boring show.

The two issues did, quite frankly, have zero to do with sport. I didn't listen to the programme to know how long they went on about the stadium lights but they spent at least 2/3of the allotted time if not longer talking about the knee the night they covered that England game.

Maybe I'm unique, but that was a turn off for me

You referred to their coverage "of the rainbow stadium in munich issue last night. The booing of taking the knee"...as complaining. I may be wrong, but that kind of implies that they are adopting positions on these stories that you yourself disagree with.

Hold on. Read what billyocean said.
    He was commentating on people complaining. And I said the otb crew complain too.
    Whether I agree or disagree doesn't matter to the point I made to the poster billyocean.

Seems billyocean is correct, the otb thread is toxic, from all sides.

The two issues did, quite frankly, have zero to do with sport. I didn't listen to the programme to know how long they went on about the stadium lights but they spent at least 2/3of the allotted time if not longer talking about the knee the night they covered that England game.

Maybe I'm unique, but that was a turn off for me

RTE spent a chunk of their pre-match discussion on UEFA, Germany vs Hungary and the rainbow protest. OTB isn't unique. It's not as if all these topics aren't being extensively covered by all the other mainstream sports outlets.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

But it's a sports show really the place for a long discussion on this? By all means mention it, but really it should be no more than in passing. The topics have been done to death on the the political programmes all day, I can't imagine their hot take is going to add much.

Yes. When that sports show is out close to 50 hours of content per week across it's various platforms and when the topics (kneeling/booing and the Hungary/Munich stadium issue) are very much directly sports related.

In fact I think the place to discuss these items in the context of sport and politics and how they do overlap irrespective of the desire that they don't is within a sports focused environment rather than on a straight political show.

• Advertisement

Yes. When that sports show is out close to 50 hours of content per week across it's various platforms and when the topics (kneeling/booing and the Hungary/Munich stadium issue) are very much directly sports related.

In fact I think the place to discuss these items in the context of sport and politics and how they do overlap irrespective of the desire that they don't is within a sports focused environment rather than on a straight political show.
    I'd agree with that if that it wasn't at the expense of coverage of the actual game.

By all means talk about it, but 2:1 coverage of a <1min protest Vs the actual game of 90 mins, it's a bit much imo.

I'd agree with that if that it wasn't at the expense of coverage of the actual game.

By all means talk about it, but 2:1 coverage of a <1min protest Vs the actual game of 90 mins, it's a bit much imo.

They've the euros podcast which as much as I gather is 100% focused on matters on the field.

They've the euros podcast which as much as I gather is 100% focused on matters on the field.

I'm not into podcasts, just listen occasionally on the radio while driving.

They also have a habit of going down the fai rabbit hole too.

So much for hoping the new thread wouldn't go the same route as the last...I think the toxicity of this thread comes from the fact that nobody seems to come at anything from the middle ground anymore.

When we are interacting online, everything is so black and white and positions so entrenched when the reality is most of the world functions in the grey areas in between.

Not a huge rugby fan, but have to totally disagree with the post that claims it's mostly rugby.

There's an hour-long football show every night of the week and much of the first hour is often football too.

Not a huge rugby fan, but have to totally disagree with the post that claims it's mostly rugby.

There's an hour-long football show every night of the week and much of the first hour is often football too.

Don't think anyone could argue that Soccer, Rugby, GAA, Golf and Horse Racing don't get enough coverage on the show.

Boxing, MMA, Tennis, Athletics, gets decentish coverage but usually only around high profile events. Cycling, motorsport and some others really only get occasional coverage when there is a breaking story. Boxing got much more regular focus when Andy Lee was available on a consistent basis than it did before, or since.

I've thought for a long time that a strategy for them to both cover more sports in depth and to blood new staff would be for to have them specific slots where they cover what is going on in these sports even if only once a week. Hell it could be online or on a podcast to start with if necessary to grow slowly and see what the interest is like.

Cycling is a sport in which there is generally key events happening from March until October every year and given the Irish interest, both historically and modern day would provide that local reference point on most weeks. And it is a sport which has a lot of interest in it, there are several cycling channels on YouTube which bring out several videos a week each of which get ten's of thousands of views. The cycling forum on Boards even is quite busy as another small indicator of the interest.

During an Olympic year for example I'd like to see a weekly slot called 'Olympic Prep' or something which would cover the progress of different athletes from a several months out as they aim to qualify and then go through training and final prep and compete at the Olympics rather than just in the week before they are held. Could focus on a different athlete or sport each week while still touching on how others are progressing.
    Same could be done for World Championships whether it be in athletics or boxing or swimming etc.

And now that I've gone this far, I've also thought there's room to engage more with amateur sport and think a slot on senior club championships with a focus on a high profile team each week could be very interesting.

In my mind, these could be done quite cheaply as it would just need someone with a mic and recording equipment or do it over Zoom and so might be a path for young sports journalists to build some experience in creating such content for a podcast or whatever. Shouldn't need paid contributors because those involved might be glad to get exposure for their sport or just to have the opportunity to put their story out there.

But, were they to do any of that, there'd still be detractors saying 'No one is interested in that' or 'I can't believe they only give athletics 8 minutes a week' or similar. There's a reason they focus on what they focus on and I reckon it's driven by advertiser interest and JNLR figures more than anything else.

So much for hoping the new thread wouldn't go the same route as the last...I think the toxicity of this thread comes from the fact that nobody seems to come at anything from the middle ground anymore.

When we are interacting online, everything is so black and white and positions so entrenched when the reality is most of the world functions in the grey areas in between.

To be fair the show doesn't help itself at times either. They had someone on about the dangers of gambling. This on a programme that carries gambling advertising at every break. They did acknowledge this though, but that they were ok since their ads said that betting should be responsible and carried a message for dunlewey.net :rolleyes:

Talks about mental health regularly, yet sees fit to have a sneering ad about some footballer having a champions League medal, as if they didn't deserve it.

I really don't know why I listen to it.

I really don't know why I listen to it.

Well don't listen to it then....

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Got to listen to most of the show for the first time in a while lady night.

Really good content with I reviews with Jack Regan and Brid Stack.

Football show was excellent with Damien Delaney and Dan McDonnel.

The football pod with Paddy and Andy is excellent. Only 7 shows in and it's a must listen for GAA fans. Think Tommy does an excellent job of presenting the facts and then let's the 2 lads take it on whatever tangent they stumble on.

Don't think anyone could argue that Soccer, Rugby, GAA, Golf and Horse Racing don't get enough coverage on the show.

Boxing, MMA, Tennis, Athletics, gets decentish coverage but usually only around high profile events. Cycling, motorsport and some others really only get occasional coverage when there is a breaking story. Boxing got much more regular focus when Andy Lee was available on a consistent basis than it did before, or since.

I've thought for a long time that a strategy for them to both cover more sports in depth and to blood new staff would be for to have them specific slots where they cover what is going on in these sports even if only once a week. Hell it could be online or on a podcast to start with if necessary to grow slowly and see what the interest is like.

Cycling is a sport in which there is generally key events happening from March until October every year and given the Irish interest, both historically and modern day would provide that local reference point on most weeks. And it is a sport which has a lot of interest in it, there are several cycling channels on YouTube which bring out several videos a week each of which get ten's of thousands of views. The cycling forum on Boards even is quite busy as another small indicator of the interest.

During an Olympic year for example I'd like to see a weekly slot called 'Olympic Prep' or something which would cover the progress of different athletes from a several months out as they aim to qualify and then go through training and final prep and compete at the Olympics rather than just in the week before they are held. Could focus on a different athlete or sport each week while still touching on how others are progressing.
    Same could be done for World Championships whether it be in athletics or boxing or swimming etc.

And now that I've gone this far, I've also thought there's room to engage more with amateur sport and think a slot on senior club championships with a focus on a high profile team each week could be very interesting.

In my mind, these could be done quite cheaply as it would just need someone with a mic and recording equipment or do it over Zoom and so might be a path for young sports journalists to build some experience in creating such content for a podcast or whatever. Shouldn't need paid contributors because those involved might be glad to get exposure for their sport or just to have the opportunity to put their story out there.

But, were they to do any of that, there'd still be detractors saying 'No one is interested in that' or 'I can't believe they only give athletics 8 minutes a week' or similar. There's a reason they focus on what they focus on and I reckon it's driven by advertiser interest and JNLR figures more than anything else.

Some good points in there. As an avid cyclist (just in the door from a spin!) I'd love to see more cycling on the show. GCN does so well, and The Cycling Podcast is also worth checking out if you haven't listened yet.

I wonder has Andy Lee been sidelined since he started working with Tyson Furey. Either way, his contributions were brilliant.

• Advertisement

Some good points in there. As an avid cyclist (just in the door from a spin!) I'd love to see more cycling on the show. GCN does so well, and The Cycling Podcast is also worth checking out if you haven't listened yet.

I wonder has Andy Lee been sidelined since he started working with Tyson Furey. Either way, his contributions were brilliant.

GCN is excellent alright, and their GCN+ is worth the money for the films and documentaries alone. Geo blocked from watching the Tour on it where I am though unfortunately. :mad:

Don't think Andy was sidelined but moreso he stepped away when working with Furey. He was very good but I felt his features needed more time for him to relax in to them. First one I heard he was very static and sounded like he was just reading a list of questions.

Advertisement