Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Just listened to the paper review from yesterday, thought it was very good. It has been quite poor in recent times particularly with Cliona Foley, Maire Treasa Ní Cheallaigh and Johnny Ward contributing so regularly.

Has Paul Kimmage been given the boot altogether from OTB and the paper review? I know he used drop the odd awkward f bomb but hardly seems reason to axe one of their best and most high profile contributors.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Am I right in saying Joe did commentary on the Premier League game yesterday?

How did he come across doing it? Any sense is this something new he's going to be doing more of going forward or did he step in with Nathan or Stephen were unavailable for some reason or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭Billy Ocean

Can't stand Kimmage personally, for all the good he done helping expose doping he can't cope with his opinion been challenged and comes across as arrogant and a attention seeker. Marie Thersa is an awful dose talking about Covid, studying to be a doctor seems to inflate her ego too.

He can be painful to listen to alright, seems like a tortured soul, deeply unhappy and troubled, a miserable aul f*cker basically but found him to be entertaining on the paper reviews as he pretty much said whatever he wanted which is perhaps why he’s gone MIA. I was wondering more so if he had been given the bullet for some specific reason…must be at least 3 years since he was on. Wouldn’t be much of a fan of his writing style in the sindo.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,317 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

+1

kimmage - Absolutely full of his own self importance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,484 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Post edited by For Forks Sake on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,412 ✭✭✭shockframe

Anything with Maire TNC on means no listen from me anymore. I'd say many are the same and OTB know it full well.

I do like the Sunday review in general though. No real strong opinion on Kimmage even though hes a bit dour.

Some of the guests are very good. Martin,Foley, Hamilton, Mcdonnell, Cunningham. Even Ryle Nugent has been alright. It helps too that Joe Molloy is a decent host.

• Registered Users Posts: 295 ✭✭Astartes

Absolutely love Paul Kimmage. He triggers some people with his personality but his principles and integrity are second to none. Santy is not real.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Yeah was Joe alright. Thought he did a good enough job.

There was a woman doing commentary a couple of weeks ago for West Ham V Spurs. Without wanting to be sexist she was pretty poor. Not sure who she was though

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭southstar

Yeah but he's a bit of a one trick pony ...and full of self regard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

One trick pony???????

Surely you're having a laugh here!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

Two trick pony at most; he can write about cycling and golf At a stretch. His efforts to write articles about GAA are mostly face palm inducing.

examples

1- he gave out about Jim Gavin leaving the journalists waiting 20 mins after Dublin winning an all Ireland. My heart bleeds.

2- he wrote about why Irish people show great sympathy and forgiveness towards Paul McGrath but not cathal McCarron. The basis of that article has to be one of the most numbskulled thing I’ve read.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I listened to the first half of the West ham Liverpool game on my home from a match yesterday.

I didn't think much of Molleys commentary skills, Nathan is much more suited to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

Anyone else have an issue listening to the rugby podcast with Matt Williams on Spotify? Plays for like 2 minutes then silence

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,839 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

If Matt Williams is on it, you're probably better off.

• Registered Users Posts: 178 ✭✭Aurelian

He's a one trick pony on cycling too, I've never heard him give a single insight or bit of analysis on racing.

• Registered Users Posts: 910 ✭✭✭dmakc

That deadspin yank being offended for women by Aaron Rodgers saying there's a witch hunt was a bit stupid.

He was also implying he's the witch, not that a load of witches are chasing after him. Think she interpreted wrong way round too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Richie rolling out the questionable language again last night.

You can sense the disappointment in Joe every time he does it.

Just said D!ckhead but it's a no no on live radio at 7:10 in the evening

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Same. If she is on, I am off. Covid, being a doctor, stay at home people or else......isn't it a sports show?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭robo

The Sunday newspaper review today was very informative - the rugby All Blacks win, Irish women's rugby & Irish racing story by Kimmage were amongst the main stories. I will admit that I thought Kimmage became a parody of himself a few years ago when he was continuously on radio - but I would like to hear him being interviewed about this racing horse story (in todays Indo) But he decided to take a sabbatical from Commincorp in solidarity with the Irish Times journalists when they were barred from their stations.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,715 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

After OTB spending a lot of time and effort outlining how the GAA football championship is not fit for purpose due to the uncompetitive nature of most of the matches, Richie, Joe and Dave are now sneering at people who express an opinion that international football (a competiton where England win their last two games 10 nil and 5 nil) is not fit for purpose due to the uncompetitive nature of most of the matches.

You couldn't make it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

What's this rubbish on now? Where's the sport??

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

It was about Agnes Tirop, an Kenyan athlete and world bronze medallist in the 10,000m who was murdered and the organisation that's been set up in her name.

Very much a sporting story. Like I've said before, do you just want them to go through the scores or something? Very insightful piece for people who are open minded.

Post edited by Faugheen on

Great piece, and as a athletics fan, one I thought they covered really well. This is the kind of stuff I feel has been missing a bit of late from OTB so great to see it being done well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,642 ✭✭✭dr.kenneth noisewater

Anyone else have issues with the OTB podcasts recently? Some stuck buffering, others saying they're 3/4 hours long. On pocketcasts

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

I mentioned there last week I was having an issue with one of the rugby podcasts. Thought it was just that particular one but I have had issues with 3 or 4 since. It will play like 2-3 minutes then just stop. This is on Spotify.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,809 ✭✭✭Did you smash it

I have this issue, on Apple podcasts. I downloaded the goloud thing they are pushing and that was the same issue.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,869 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Yes Iam having a lot of issues with podcasts as well...buffering etc and then going back to the start..also the number of adds is on them is gone crazy recently..

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Yes, can’t listen/download any of them for 24ish hours. I get an error message. Some never get fixed at all. Some don’t get uploaded at all.

• Advertisement

Background mouse clicks make this show completely unlistenable to when it happens. Shockingly loud there. How someone in production isn’t on to this beggars belief. Amateur hour. It’s not just off the ball either although they would be the biggest offenders, Pat Kenny asks some question and no sooner had the interviewee started to answer and all you can hear is a rattle of the €8 the cheap curry’s bargain bin mouse the tight-fisted hungry f*cker has no doubted purchased.

Advertisement