Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Great to hear Gerry Thornley back on the show last night. First time in a long time hearing him, for me.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Scotty #

After someone contradicted my earlier comment I happened to be in the car Friday evening and decided to stick OTB on to see if anything had changed.

Low and behold, it's Brian O'Driscoll rabbiting on about some Lion's game he played against South Africa years ago. Even Brian himself sounded bored by it. Thankfully it was the end of the interview but the presenter thanked him for the last HOUR of chat! Seriously, is there nothing more current they could talk about!

Needless to say, I won't be tuning in again any time soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭Felexicon

Scotty # wrote: »
    After someone contradicted my earlier comment I happened to be in the car Friday evening and decided to stick OTB on to see if anything had changed.

Low and behold, it's Brian O'Driscoll rabbiting on about some Lion's game he played against South Africa years ago. Even Brian himself sounded bored by it. Thankfully it was the end of the interview but the presenter thanked him for the last HOUR of chat! Seriously, is there nothing more current they could talk about!

Good man.

Congratulations

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

#thoughtsandprayers

What were they thinking? You'd swear the Lions were about to play South Africa again or something crazy like that.
    Lucky you were able to concentrate enough to stay on road while listening to such nonsense on a sports show the day before the Lions first game.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

#thoughtsandprayers

What were they thinking? You'd swear the Lions were about to play South Africa again or something crazy like that.
    Lucky you were able to concentrate enough to stay on road while listening to such nonsense on a sports show the day before the Lions first game.

OTB descends far too often into this nostalgia. The football show could be looking forward to the championship league final and somehow, inexplicably, they end up talking about Billy Bremner and 1970's Leeds United?

• Advertisement

You proved your point that it's "90 per cent" rugby on OTB by turning on the show once and hearing rugby? I'm not sure your research would stand up to much scrutiny.

If you turn it on again and they are discussing another sport, would that make it 50 per cent rugby?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

OTB descends far too often into this nostalgia. The football show could be looking forward to the championship league final and somehow, inexplicably, they end up talking about Billy Bremner and 1970's Leeds United?

They descend far too often into nostalgia. They cover political issues in a sporting context. Both you don’t like

What is it you actually want them to do? Read out the scores?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,198 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Faugheen wrote: »
    They descend far too often into nostalgia. They cover political issues in a sporting context. Both you don’t like

I dunno, just talk about current sport?

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

That’s what I want.

“Queen of the South 1, Cowdenbeath 2”
    “Raith Rovers and Greenock Morton was postponed”

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Jayesdiem wrote: »
    That’s what I want.

“Queen of the South 1, Cowdenbeath 2”
    “Raith Rovers and Greenock Morton was postponed”

I know you're joking, but I reckon some here thought page 220 on Aertel was just enough sporting information.

Date of fixture, teams, line ups, scores and scorers and time elapsed.

• Advertisement

You proved your point that it's "90 per cent" rugby on OTB by turning on the show once and hearing rugby? I'm not sure your research would stand up to much scrutiny.

If you turn it on again and they are discussing another sport, would that make it 50 per cent rugby?
    I never claimed to prove my point. Do you think I proved my point? It was more opinion than scientific analysis to be honest but I'm sure you know that.

Look, there's obviously a market for people who want to listen to O'Driscoll & Co. extensively review games that were played several years ago. It doesn't do it for me.

I never claimed to prove my point. Do you think I proved my point? It was more opinion than scientific analysis to be honest but I'm sure you know that.

Look, there's obviously a market for people who want to listen to O'Driscoll & Co. extensively review games that were played several years ago. It doesn't do it for me.

Good for you. That's what the off switch is for.

Thanks for the info.
    Not a huge rugby fan, but have to totally disagree with the post that claims it's mostly rugby.
    OTB have three verified twitter accounts, one general @offtheball, one for the morning show @OffTheBallAM, and one for...... you've guessed it, RUGBY!! @offtheballrugby.

"Not mostly Rugby".... are you sure you're listening to the right show?

Thanks for the info.

OTB have three verified twitter accounts, one general @offtheball, one for the morning show @OffTheBallAM, and one for...... you've guessed it, RUGBY!! @offtheballrugby.

"Not mostly Rugby".... are you sure you're listening to the right show?

Another case cracked by inspector Scotty.

I hear they are changing the name of the show to OTRB.

On a serious note, if you think it's all rugby then you need to listen more.

Good for you. That's what the off switch is for.
    Another case cracked by inspector Scotty.
    What's with all the personal digs? It's a discussion about a radio show is all. Calm down.

I'll bow out here! Happy listening.

What's with all the personal digs? It's a discussion about a radio show is all. Calm down.

I'll bow out here! Happy listening.

Nothing personal.

There is a long history in this thread of people barrelling in with very negative and often unfounded takes on the show.

Your take didn't hold much water.

If you have a look through the podcasts then you might find some stuff that you like and it'll save you having to listen to rugby.

I don't like rugby much either, but I'm sure you'll find a lot more than your recent posts suggest.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,884 ✭✭✭Coillte_Bhoy

I know you're joking, but I reckon some here thought page 220 on Aertel was just enough sporting information.

Date of fixture, teams, line ups, scores and scorers and time elapsed.

Ah now 220 was just the index, 221 for Prem League latest, 224 for Scotland if iirc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,990 ✭✭✭Patrick2010

Any idea when the interview with Stephen Kenny is on, just loads of talk about Dermot and Dave now for some reason

• Registered Users Posts: 1,701 ✭✭✭Ahwell

Any idea when the interview with Stephen Kenny is on, just loads of talk about Dermot and Dave now for some reason

8 o'clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭nialler1978

Giles unsure and questioning who England are playing next and then hasn’t a breeze who the Ukraine are managed by and segues straight on to Leeds Utd. This isn’t even barstool talk, it’s embarrassing for the man and anyone listening.

• Advertisement

Quite an interesting interview with Stephen Kenny here.

His knowledge and ability to analyse games is better than I've ever heard any Ireland manager. Very impressive stuff listening to him talk about Portugal here.

Listened to the soccer show for the first time in ages because of the Kenny interview. As interested as I was it was hard to get through it all because of how atrocious the interviewer was. Wanted nothing but a headline.

Listened to the soccer show for the first time in ages because of the Kenny interview. As interested as I was it was hard to get through it all because of how atrocious the interviewer was. Wanted nothing but a headline.

Kenny is not an easy person to interview for many reasons: he leaves loads of dead air with his lengthy pauses, he tends to ramble off topic and sometimes doesn't address the question put to him.

I thought did the interviewer did fine and enjoyed the piece.

Journalist looks for story in interview shocker.

Journalist looks for story in interview shocker.

The funny thing is from the sounds of it, it was Kenny who wanted to break his silence on his health scare in light of the Cristian Eriksen incident. Nathan Murphy mentioned that Kenny had brought it up himself before the interview and was keen to speak about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,359 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Listened to a big chunk of the Saturday show with John Duggan today, he was fine on Today FM but he really isn't cut out as a presenter. Find it an awful struggle to listen to him, I'd usually be a fan of Dan McDonnell who was on too but even found myself struggling to keep interest with him too.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Teletext

Wolves 1 Nothingham Forrset 0

Manchecter United : Luton Town: Score Draw

And this zombie rises from the dead!

I had never listened to Duggan before his move to OTB, but I find his hosting of the Saturday show to be very poor. He just can't seem to control a conversation between multiple participants. He also has an awful habit of failing to direct his question to one person when they are on phone lines and can't read his body language which leads to confusion and multiple guests talking over each other.

His interview with Brian Dooher a few weeks ago when Tyrone withdrew from the Championship was funny. He took it all at face value and asked the most earnest questions and was heaping pity on Tyrone for their plight. Not once did he think that it was a cynical ploy by Tyrone.

On a positive note, Damien Delaney continues to be the best football pundit in the Irish media at the moment. His contributions to OTB are second to none.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,460 ✭✭✭Pauliedragon

What's up with ads on their podcasts? Someone will literally be in the middle of a sentence and it cuts to an ad. At first I thouhgt it was just a glitch but it's being going on for months now. Christ lads wait till a change of topic or at least wait until the sentence is finished. Really annoying.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,791 ✭✭✭BionicRasher

Who is the lad on today’s Sunday paper review. Loves his own voice and keeps talking over the other guest. Also some inappropriate phrase used about a town in west Cork. Needs to think before spouting out stuff really

some good conversation ruined by this fella

Advertisement