Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Newstalk: Off The Ball

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 908 ✭✭✭Jayesdiem

Turned it straight off, like in six seconds. Im sure it involved her pontificating about Covid rules.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,375 ✭✭✭✭siblers

It was no worse than the Saturday show with John Duggan or listening to Ritchie during the week. OTB is a shadow of its former self

When Duggan asked Pillar Caffrey who’d win the women’s Six Nations, with no hint of irony in his voice, this became very obvious.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭gluppers

This! Those golf Tw*ts are probably off, well playing golf

Like clockwork. What I want to know is, when is Nollaig na Fir?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Mr Burny

Ger Gilroy won’t enjoy eating his piss soaked cornflakes this morning over the Novak outcome !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

I usually have a long drive on Sunday evenings and will turn on the match on Newstalk to help pass the time.

I switched on yesterday.

A woman was effusive in her praise of Kilmallock hurling in particular and Limerick hurling in general on foot of what she believed was a fine victory for that club.

Kilmallock had just gone down 3-20 to 1-12 to Ballygunner of Waterford.

The apparent expert that was on with her didn't seem to be willing to correct the mistake, so they continued to exchange bland clichés over a false premise.

I switched over to some music.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,520 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

Lads ye should be either ashamed, or embarrassed of yourselves with the reaction to hearing women on the radio.

Hope none of you had young daughters on hand to watch the mental breakdown and misogyny when you realised what was happening. Like a scene out of Fr Ted or Killinaskully.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Yep. The lovely girdles are too thick to realise. Always the way. 🙄

Someone said earlier that this is embarrassing for the brand. I would bet both my bollocks that some of the heads in Off The Ball were reading this yesterday and pissing themselves laughing at how triggered everyone got.

There's something embarrassing about this alright, and it isn't the women or the brand.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,724 ✭✭✭DeadHand

No mental breakdown necessary, just a change of station.

My young daughter was on hand, as it happened. She also it found it an unwelcome break from our usual Sunday evening fare.

Radio can be poor, not everything is misogyny.

• Advertisement

Better late than never I suppose. Did you listen to it? It was utter garbage. There is a real “emperor has no clothes” feel about asking Pilar f’ing Caffrey and golfer Gary f’ing Murphy who will win the women’s six nations. I’m primarily a rugby fan myself and I wouldn’t have given much better of an answer than those that they embarrassingly muttered. Any idea who the favourite for this season’s Peruvian tiddlywinks division 1A? I thought not.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭hawley

They really hate Djokovic. He's a right wing icon, tax dodger, should be calling attention to Australia's asylum policy etc. according to the guest

I didn't hear that particular piece but have heard MTNC several times and she is more than capable of holding an interview. I did hear the girl who was on the week before and she did very well and showed a very good grasp both of the topic and the people she was talking to in the amount I heard.

I'd be willing to bet that if we heard the full interview, there'd be some context as to why Caffrey was asked that question rather than it being something out of the blue.

All the time interview hosts ask questions that are a bit out of place or non-sequiturs, it doesn't usually result in people running to a message board to say how they couldn't handle it and needed a safe space.

I’ll give you the context: OTB can’t ask a question about the Ireland men’s national team without equalising that with the same question about the women’s team or else people such as yourself start playing the misogyny card. Because the men’s team are pretty much mainstream, guests can hold a conversation on that topic. The women’s team are no more recognisable than the Jamaican bobsleigh team in our country and I’m sorry but it’s not me who decides that, it’s market forces. It’s therefore not fair to press your agenda on guests when they don’t know the team from Adam. It looks and sounds bad. I’ve been in Twickenham when the England women’s team came on to play AFTER the men’s team. Suddenly an 82,000 crowd became about 2,000. I suppose there were 80,000 misogynists in Twickenham that day, ironically, almost 50% of them female.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,564 ✭✭✭RugbyLover123

What’s the story with there being nearly more female pundits than male for the rugby shows?

also is Johnny Wards contribution to the Saturday show that pivotal that they needed to wire him in from what sounded like a submarine.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

There was an American lady and then some Irish guy, not sure if he was part of the news team as Joe asked him about the Villa - Utd match, but my god....the wankfest they had over hating Djokovic.

American lady said there was a non zero chance of the australians invading the court and dismembering Djokovic. Disgusting comment.

"If Djokovic gets some sleep and gets some practice in, is he your favourite to win the tournament?" Joe questions his guest.

"I would never use that word with Djokovic" she replies. Not resisting any opportunity to get a dig in and to let everyone know she hates Djokovic and his pro choice opinion.

She ends with an impression of Rafa Nadal, quoting him about needing to take the vaccine.

Joe also raised the possibility, albeit while covering his own arse legally, that Djokovic faked his positive covid test.

Once the American anti-choice lady was gone, the boring Irish guy went on a drone about how the Djokovic supporters don't actually support him and are just going against the grain and that it's quite sad they don't have convictions of their own thoughts....he says while parroting populist opinions that will get people to agree with him....he finishes "they won't like that!", as his tone clearly shows it's eating him up inside that Djokovic won his appeal and has been allowed in.

Then the rugby topic comes on, Gerry Thornley knowledgable but the lady hadn't a clue. Answering questions with "yeah...no" is shocking for a pundit. "And what do you hear about goings on at Munster" Joe asks...."Yeah I wouldn't really know anything about that".....great stuff! The constant sound of sucking in air was very annoying also.

And for gods sake, can people phoning in not get a headset rather than being on a national radio station with horrible sound quality?

Look out for the sharp intakes of breath by Niamh Briggs too. Very annoying.

A take that's so wide of the mark it is nearly, but not quite, impressive.

A couple of things. 1 the mens team being more successful has nothing to do with whether or not the womens should be discussed. 2 Since when is asking someone a question 'pressing your guest'? 3 Stop creating a strawman so that you can get your rocks off thinking you've beaten the sh*t out of it, the only reference to misogyny here was to do with the content put on this thread over the last 36 hours by people who couldn't handle that women were on the radio. 4 It's laughable to talk about market forces when one gender has literally had decades more and millions more poured in to it than the other. they'll probably never be equal in the truest sense, but if womens sport stands any chance of being successful, it needs coverage to allow it to nurture and flourish. Should all AIL clubs stop making efforts to grow the sport because they are much less well supported than the provinces? Should the League of Ireland be disbanded because it pales in to insignificance compared to European leagues? The idea that market forces dictate something when 50% of the market is a particular gender is just all sorts of idiotic.

• Advertisement

Double yawn. Your answer is all kinds of sh1t soup, a Frankenstein reply with all your best bits sewn crudely together into some grotesque incoherent mess. I might give a more specific response some other time, or if I can be @rsed to pick it apart. It would be so facile, it’s barely worth it.

Bit much from the fella whose vocabulary extends to 'woke'.

I figured you'd struggle so I numbered the points specifically to help you.

Take your time, a good nights sleep will probably help get your head around it.

Bit much from the fella whose vocabulary extends to 'triggered'.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,443 ✭✭✭RINO87

.... wasn't last Sunday's (Jan 2nd) show presented by "the wimmin" as well? Why no outcry then?

Thread was quiet for months and it only took the wimmin for the creatures to emerge from under their rocks! Hope ye are all ok lads. Hugs.

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭Dr Fred

Aw! And I thought you’d be happy with a nice opportunity for a bit of virtue signalling !

• Advertisement

Advertisement