Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Kids in coffee shops - yay or nay

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 302 ✭✭Piollaire

Good old fashioned discrimination in a new variant

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

• Registered Users Posts: 706 ✭✭✭SATSUMA

My view (female late 30's) is a coffee shop is no place for kids. Kids cry, get bored, yell and make noise and that's perfectly natural. A coffee shop isn't the place for it. Generally I find them to be a disturbance so if I see kids inside I don't go in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,156 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Kids who create excessive noise in coffee shops are not the problem. It is their indifferent parents that are.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,500 ✭✭✭yagan

I won't go into a coffee shop if there's loud kids already inside, and where possible I favour cafes with upstair seating that buggies can't access.

A blessing of covid is that more cafes that can have expanded their outdoors options and I'd happily wrap up in warm layers to avoid being trapped indoors with parents who treat every space as a romper room for their crotch fruit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,781 ✭✭✭mohawk

It depends hugely on age of the child. And you tailor your visits to suit the child. Most older children can sit still long enough to enjoy a coffee at a leisurely pace but younger children might only manage 15 minutes and that’s fine. Leave before it gets too much for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Our full time nanny just messed up and I bumped into the children this week! Let me tell you, the stress that caused. I'd fire her, but they aren't easy to replacee. Think I'll just pop down to that child free cafe for a laté and see if that soothes my frazzled nerves.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

The arrogance and selfishness on display on this thread is quite something to behold - the expectation that the world has to bend backwards to suit 'ME'!!!!

Really folks, get a grip.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,012 ✭✭✭✭looksee

That would be a really profound / terse / cutting comment if I could work out which side you are criticising?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,448 ✭✭✭Tombo2001

And I have to laugh at the same people who'd be so woke about respecting the rights of this that and the other, cant even show a bit of leeway to children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭ohnohedidnt

I have two you young kids, and if I wanted a quiet cup of coffee without them, I wouldn't go in to a coffee shop full of kids either, if they were being loud. I'd go to one with an upstairs like you suggested.

I also won't go to the queue in supermarkets that's full of old people, because they're generally too slow.

And I won't sit on a bench beside the canal if there's a bunch of teenagers hanging out there, because I can't listen to the sh!t teenagers talk.

But I can't go to any of those places and suggest the other people should move to accommodate me. If I don't like the company, its on me to move on.

That's pretty much my attitude. It's not anti children to not want to be around them, we were all children once but my adult life is many times better than my childhood so I've no great nostalgia for that period of life.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,655 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Society shows leeway to children by giving planning permission for family restaurants.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

This 100%.

As you said the library was up the road, could go there if he needed peace and quiet to read his copy of The Irish Times.

People like that are usually people who don't have/hate children.

Bitter nasty people.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

Op,

I brought my then-4-year-old son into the ladies for a wee in the Kilkenny Shop (a bit highbrow maybe). We had eaten lunch and were about to leave, but the bladders needed to be emptied. As we were leaving the Ladies through the two sets of swing doors, an elderly woman was on the way in. My son actually held one of the doors open for her, to which she stated "that child should not be in here". I was so shocked I could not say a word and just moved on. My next reaction was hurt and upset so I gathered my stuff and left pronto before we had to see her again. My point here is that some people are just going to piss you off for no good reason and life is full of these scenarios. Hand on my heart, I don't see what leg she had to stand on - and so I just had to take it that day. Some days are like that ... Most people are reasonable about other people's kids - in general - and then you meet the likes of that oul bag!

That might be a bit harsh. Some parents literally let their children treat all shared spaces, including coffee shops as an extended romper room and then see nothing wrong with this.

It's not bitter to not enjoy other people's children making any coffee shop feel like a creche. In fact instead of considerate patrons having to go to the library why doesn't the parent take their crotch fruit to where they can expend their excess energy?

Coffee shops are not designated play areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭boardlady

"crotch fruit" 😆 These 'fruits' are literally their parents most treasured things in life. Their reason for being ... 🤷‍♂️

• Registered Users Posts: 3,675 ✭✭✭irelandrover

Every restaurant is a family restaurant unless otherwise stated. Why don't you just stick to adult only places if kids bother you so much.

My kid loves going to a coffeshop for a babycino and a slice of cake. But she has the ability to sit still for about 15 or 20 minutes. So I bring her to a coffeeshop for about 15 or 20 minutes. Its not rocketscience. She learns to behave in public, i get to enjoy a coffee. And i leave before she starts annoying others.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

You have used the term "crotch fruit" twice. It really is an incredibly stupid term. I would rather put up with loud children than an adult who can refer to kids like that.

You and I were both someone's crotch fruit. A conventional phrase for generations is a nation's fruit so it's not inaccurate.

If you take offence at the basic human desire for reproduction then I can't help you. My issue is with parents who expect everyone else to tolerate their lack of discipline over their issue.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 3,444 ✭✭✭evil_seed

I see no problem with what you did OP. It's the other people that are wrong. You seem self aware that you need to mind your kids. It's the parents that don't mind their kids that are the problem in places like this

Are they wrong though?

We have only the OPs version of events and a parent is naturally biased towards their offspring. The fact they have taken this on here shows that they need reassurance against doubts of their own tolerance of their children's behaviour in mixed settings.

An already mindful and considerate parent, or an careless parent wouldn't be seeking feedback.

Noisey kids can be annoying but some old todger sitting reading his paper for an hour over 1 cup of tea or coffee is not exactly who Costa would want either.

They are a business there to make money, not a public service.

If the silence of a person reading distresses you but screaming children in a cafe doesn't then just admit that you have no problem with parents treating every shared space as an extension of their kids creche or romper room.

Cafe's are not romper rooms. Play grounds exist for a specific purpose.

And don't forget old people, we build nursing homes too.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

Costa are building nursing homes?😶

• Registered Users Posts: 3,811 ✭✭✭joe40

I'm not taking offense, I just think crotch fruit is a stupid term. You cannot possibly pretend you did not use the term in a derogatory sense.

Having kids running around a coffee shop is absolutely not on, it's actually dangerous and irresponsible. But there's no suggestion the OP's kids were. If she let the child out of the high chair he wouldn't have been antsy.

So the problem is noise. So what's an acceptable noise level? I've been in coffee shops with my kids and there were noisier adults, should the adults be asked to leave if noise in a coffee shop is unacceptable. What about grinding coffee, is there any place for that in a coffee shop? I think it's ridiculous to go to large chain coffee shop which caters for children expecting children to not be present, and expecting it to be quiet. They sell food and drinks for children, they have high chairs, anybody who goes there expecting no children is not very observant.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,495 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Advertisement