Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autumn 2021 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Hairypoppins

Valentia kerry at 26 already! Impressive!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,522 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

Perhaps even more impressive, the midday observation today for Valentia is currently on par with that of 5 September 1991 which is its warmest September day on record and hit a max of 28.4C (highest in Ireland for September since 1906) which is unlikely to be beaten today but it comes after a significantly cooler night than 1991 too.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

Oak Park 24c is impressive too.

In high summer Valentia often peaks early. Would be nice to break 2016 26.5c so that today would be the hottest September day in 30 years. Should do that at least. If we get between 28.4 and 29.1c the hottest September day in 115 years!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

AWS is 26.3c here in Durrow - the mercury is typically higher , so a decent chance 26.5c has been equalled here. As its only 1pm, there is time for this to go higher.

Today feels like the summer/autumn equivalent of 11 March 2013, below freezing and snow showers from the east with -16 uppers.

A day out of season.

• Advertisement

27c Valentia. String of 25c stations.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

27c in Valentia at 1300

24c in Sligo

• Registered Users Posts: 1,979 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

27 degrees already reported at Valentia at 1pm. Very impressive

A bit off topic but the Irish soccer team won't welcome the heat this eve. Most aren't that fit, on the peripheries of clubs, 3rd game in 6 days!

AWS hit a balmy 26.9c a few minutes ago here in Durrow. The mercury reading will be interesting later. Will take a look once the heat drops back off a bit later this afternoon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭Billcarson

Was thinking the same. It certainly won't help them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,070 ✭✭✭✭Oscar Bravo

Valentia 28 degrees at 2pm :)

28 degrees at Valentia. That is incredible.........could they hit 30 in september!!

Durrow AWS 27.6c a few minutes ago!

Shannon Apt has also equalled its September max temp record with 1991 at 26.1C.

Presumably 3pm or maybe 4pm would be warmest tone of day this time of year, July heatwave temps seemed to peak more around 5-6pm but would be earlier during September I am sure. 3pm readings could be interesting

I would say inland Kerry around Killarney would be very warm today

AWS in Durrow at 27.9c at 3pm

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,728 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

If only we had this current setup last week of July or first week of August, we would definitely have broken 30 or 31C with the current setup.

23C here in Meath which is probably the max we will see here due to the onshore east wind. Still today is warmer across the country than anything we saw during August.

If we get lucky we could see low twenties again next week if the high pressure is in the right position but again it is most likely to have an easterly wind and this will become cooler as we head towards mid September.

We may get more warmth tomorrow in the northern half of the country but i'm not sure these temperatures will be reached.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dazler97

26c in omagh now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Dazler97

26c in omagh now

I'm going very off topic here but Sryan, if you get the time, anytime in the future i'd love to hear a synopsis of September 1947. It followed 2 bad summers, 1946 and 1947. And of course followed 'that' winter.

The agri sector was very important then and it being the centenary of Black 47 in the famine, there were genuine fears of another famine. So lads and lassies in their teens were sent down the country from Dublin to help save the harvest. As it turned out sunburn was a problem! Some romances ocurred etc that were followed up on.

The people down the country were very happy for the enthusiastic help. Those who came down generally tied smaller sheaves of wheat which became know as vollunteer sheaves.

Oh my lord, the stats don't end today. The Dooks climate station in Kerry has achieved 28.6C, highest September temperature in Ireland since 1906!!!

We probably have until 4pm for any more increases.

Bit of a drop off in some stations at 3pm. Still above expected with lot of over 27C reporting. And the Dooks record!

Convection down over the Kerry peninsulas where Dooks is, so just nabbed that 28.6c there just in the nick of time.

Glengarrif 28.1c

I'd say they'll be fine ,there is no heat today in Dublin and by 8pm dis evening it could actually be feeling quite cool at the aviva with that onshore wind,I'm a little disappointed with the temperatures today here in west Dublin, I was expecting at least 25 but only 22 atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,890 ✭✭✭pauldry

27c at Sligo Airport

Must be another September record.

Jee hottest September day in 115 years folks

• Registered Users Posts: 6,785 ✭✭✭sporina

savage day here in Cork City

blue skies and was 26°C here earlier - dare I say its even too hot for me - but I will take it no prob - wow Sept 7th

• Advertisement

23 degrees here in Dublin, beautiful day

Advertisement