Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

They were hoovering up watches 6 months ago for frankly ludicrous prices (a number of us here benefited). Would say they stocked up and are not taking their profits.

Post edited by Fitz II on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭Cassius99

Thanks for the heads up. Was going to order a couple of rare(ish) bits from the states and Japan. I may wait til they get their act together.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

I've noticed Vodafone have been advertising a 'smart watch for kids' called the Neo. Not that I'd be in the market for something like this but was intrigued enough to look it up on the internet.

Strikes me as a kid monitoring device for 6-9 Y-Os. Buying the actual device is more expensive in ROI than UK €200 v £100 and then you have the monthly connection fee of €10. In the TV ads they show a beaming dad presenting a Neo to his equally delighted son but I imagine the kid will dump it well before the minimum connection contract of 24 months runs out.

Another gimmick for over-anxious parents?

Neo - The smart kids watch | Vodafone Smart Tech

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Unkel, Kostal, Cyrus and a few others have sparked a curiosity in me for a PAM. Now given the last PAM I looked at was discovered (thanks to Fitz 😉) to be a fake 😤

I've taken to just looking at present and am bouncing between the 47mm handwind and in the auto sphere, the ceramic Pam's. On the handwinder front before I saw price... 😮 I was drawn to the Blue Slytech but 40k 😮😮 The dial does seem stunning tho, a very Unkel blue 😂

438 and 441 are very nice, particularly the 438 on a bracelet. I did get to try on a 441 recently and did really strike a chord in me, tho perhaps not so much with regards the strap. It was nice, well made, comfy but I'd want something more than the "plain" strap it comes with.

Something a bit snazzy, like a snakeskin or a Ted Su vintage ammo pouch.

But I'm not buying, I'm really not buying because I'll have to sell more and I like everything I have left 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The ammo pouches are cool. Talk about snazzy, I'm still thinking of getting a blue stingray for the PAM 😁

47mm and hand wound it was for me, it's actually very easy and pleasant to wind the watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

i do like the ceramics i have to say and personally am a fan of that strap :D

one of my colleagues has the 441, looks cool.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,527 ✭✭✭Fitz II

Looked up a PAM441....and I am totally sold, looks deadly.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,644 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

There is something very cool about ceramic watches imo

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,215 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

Definitely looks like a gimmick for over anxious parents. Our kids (boy and girl under 10) had a few things like fitbits, but a baby g or cheap casio is 100 times better. Anything you need to charge regularly, forget about imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

An post tracking is so frustrating... Package left the UK at 2am on Saturday and theres no updates at all from An Post

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

Still early days I’d expect it to be on anpost tracking by tomorrow..

• Registered Users Posts: 585 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

Honestly - reading the thread linked above on An Post returning packages I would not be fancying your chances of having it delivered. They are sending back thousands of packages every day from the UK (and outside of Europe).

Hopefully it gets through, but I have now had 2 packages returned to the sender - one of them being €5 worth of dog poo bags sent from an Amazon seller in the UK!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,426 ✭✭✭✭banie01

Is anyone here following Talking Timepieces on youtube? I came across the guy originally on Instagram. He has some nice pieces and some strong opinions that mirror some of those here.

Here he is, riffing on fakes and taking a hammer to a Fake AP.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,651 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

Anyone expecting An Post to delver something coming from outside the EU probably won't want to read this thread: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058200515/an-post-returning-packages-from-outside-the-eu

I won't be too surprised if something that came from Japan and is now being returned, ends up being a total €135 loss. I hope someone finds a legal angle to have a go at them and does so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭hitemfrank

I had a package coming from China that was marked on the tracking as having cleared customs for about 8 days before it was delivered by An Post. It only entered their system on the day it was delivered, so figured it was going to be sent back.

Guess I was one of the lucky ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Over the last year especially, watches have become a huge part if my life. Starting with my trip to Prague, finding that pilots watch,then a week after getting home, attending the watch talk by Damian Duggan, getting chatting with some great people.

Then in July finding that Dolphin Bell got me chatting with a guy in Australia the past year who is a retired engineer that also repairs watches and has told me time and time again to start repairing myself.

After going to Birmingham to the watch fair, meeting John Bentley I knew I wanted to explore further options regarding getting into watchmaking.

I have watched countless hours worth of watch repair videos on YouTube and have always wondered could I do it myself. Looked into getting some basic tools and old movements to practice on, but without the knowledge the tools wouldn't be of much use to me.

Got the idea to go into town and ask around about how to get started and possibly work with a watchmaker to see if I even have the nack for it before going out and buying loads of tools.

Had a day off from work today and finally made the trip in. My first stop was to Dawson Jewellers, which funny enough, never been inside! Plenty of Rolex to look at! Got chatting with the guy there,who was very friendly and helpful.

Unfortunately as I already knew, there isn't much in the way of training in Ireland, the college in Blanchardstown that I live right beside, closed down. There is a college in Manchester that would be the closest. I asked if it would be possible to work with one of their watchmakers, even on one of my own pieces, the Heuer Stopwatch for example and pay as normal.

Handed me one of their cards and said to send in my CV and go from there.

Before leaving, he mentioned a place along the quays,Dix Jewellery Tools & Equipment [Link] that would give me an idea regarding tools required.

A quick Google search after stepping out showing it closing for lunch, had to get a move on! After making my way to the quays, found a non discript shop front that I must of passed by many a time

Went inside and started talking with the guy, a watchmaker. Supplier of both jewelery and watchmaking tools. As before he mentioned there isn't really much in the way of training anymore in Ireland. I was saying I just wanted to know if it is something I could even do, weither as a hobby or as a job.

He took my details and said he might know someone I could work with for a few weeks. There was also a basic watchmaking tools set for €30 I was tempted but decided to hang on for now. Very happy I finally got around to going in, not sure what will become of it.

And I saved the best for last! I brought along my broken Heuer Stopwatch I picked up in Wicklow. After showing it to the guy at the tools shop..... It's alive!!!

He wouldn't even accept payment! Would need a service, but to see and hear it working for the first time in god knows how long! Yet another chapter in my watch journey!

• Registered Users Posts: 359 ✭✭Ian OB

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Delighted to be the first reviewer in the world to get my hands on this. Its quite large at 44mm but the profile is slim enough so it wears very nicely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

CAB doing a great job again ,Anyone able to name the watches?2nd one I think is a Patek and possibly a Breitling in there as well ?no idea of the models

• Registered Users Posts: 3,368 ✭✭✭Ryath

Patek and Breitling alright quite a few Omega Seamasters and I see at least one Speedy. There's an IWC Pilot a Cartier Tank and a Panerai in there to. Few other high ends too. I'm sure there's a fake or to in the mix. Hopefully the owners spot them.

https://garda.ie/en/about-us/our-departments/office-of-corporate-communications/news-media/jewellery.pdf

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I haven't a rasher's on the jewelry, but a lot of those watches are fake to my eyes. Tags, Breitlings, Omegas. Wouldn't give me a lot of confidence in the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,591 ✭✭✭scwazrh

That’s a good link . Some amount of junk watches on it

Thought I'd share this anecdote. I found it funny.

I have a Fossil Hybrid SmartWatch. I had a minor accident recently and the crystal got smashed. The watch still works but the crystal needs to be replaced. I looked up their repair centres. Scrolling through the list of Repair Centres, I noticed their repair centre in Afghanistan is at:

AFGHANISTAN

Luxe Koncept Les Montres Trading

2nd Floor, 786 Pharmacy Building

Karte Parwan, Wahaj Hospital Street

Kabul- Afghanistan

Meanwhile, their repair centre for Ireland is:

IRELAND

FOSSIL

IRELAND REPAIRS

Rue du Martelberg , BP 80023 MONSWILLER

Saverne Cedex, 67701

France

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭Cyclingtourist

denartha quote:

"Thought I'd share this anecdote. I found it funny."

If you're in Kabul a broken crystal on your watch is probably the least of your concerns.

Fossil is a fashion brand so it's appropriate its service centre for Ireland is in Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,110 ✭✭✭Thirdfox

This is a real headache for myself - I had been using CN22 forms but it seems now that electronic CN23 forms are needed (as in I head down to the post office, and the postal staff has to type in information into the computer, print it and attach it to the package...) I'm so glad this didn't happen earlier in the summer when I sent out around 200 packages - it takes around 4-5 minutes to send one package to the UK now.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,684 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Christ almighty. I got sent a leather watch strap from the UK from a top quality hand making shop. He filled in the CN22 form and all. Watch got intercepted by Irish customs and returned to sender. And for what? Even the guys in the post office were embarrassed by this anal sort of behaviour by Irish customs :-( They said all was grand until a month or so ago and now Irish customs are deploying these sh1t tactics. And it's not like anyone is trying to defraud the revenue here. The item was properly marked and declared and all required forms were filled in.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,430 ✭✭✭micks_address

Yeah last few things I’ve bought from uk I’ve used a courier. It’s fine going the other way. Sent a watch Tuesday to London marked at 200 euro as per value and sailed through to sender with no customs charges their end

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,012 ✭✭✭njburke

Same situation here with a watch from Japan. From looking at the label I think the HS Tariff code is blank and that's the issue I had. Value and description was there, address was perfect.

Postal service from Japan is €22 , FedEx or DHL starts at €50.

Advertisement