Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Who Watches the Watchmen (Our Chit Chat Thread)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Prices have firmed up, I quite like the cellini moon phase and it's a lot more expensive grey now than it was 3 years ago!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,391 ✭✭✭micks_address

Considering my foray into rolex.

If im tempted to stay with my seiko sla043 as my 'dive watch...

my rolex first thought was a 39mm explorer.

but ive also been looking at the datejust41

my goal is to have 2 'good' watches for now - the Seiko and another.. i like the datejust but im thinking the batton markers are close to the batton style of the seiko dial. Potentially selling a speedmaster to help fund. Im in no major rush so what's the chances of getting either from the likes of Weirs in a few months?

Cheers,

Mick

• Registered Users Posts: 64,542 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The last time I was in Weir's, the only Rolex watch in men's sizes that you could actually buy was a DJ. That was almost a year and a half ago though, go in and have a chat. I've been on the waiting list for a fairly modest Rolex ever since, obviously not heard anything. I think there no longer is any waiting list as such. You might very well get lucky though. The process seems random enough. I've heard of people in Ireland getting a sports Rolex just like that while others with substantial purchase history get nothing (worth while)

• Registered Users Posts: 19,547 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

With weirs I think it's literally a case of what's come in that morning i have no confidence in any of their waiting lists or organisation around it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,526 ✭✭✭Fitz II

I got a Datejust 40 in weirs out of the window Jan 2020, I have not seen one since. Lovely looking watch. I think the battons are the way to go, I had the romans and they are a little cluttered. All they have at the moment is ladies up to 36mm and with diamonds etc., very few mens watches. I would say they could get you one in a few months, but you might need to get a tudor or something to show intent.

• Advertisement

Thanks folks regardless of rolex source given the seiko and another watch choice from either the explorer or datejust which way would you go? for variety the black dial of the explorer and numerals gives a nice contrast i think

Explorer does little for me. Too simple, to under the radar. I know there are a lot of fans out there, I just cannot get excited about them. Datejust is the defacto Rolex but got to be fluted bezel and jubilee. Other choices are Explorer II Polar ( I might know where one is coming up), Milgauss and the new 41mm OP. I know you want to keep the seiko as a dive watch, but a Sub makes a lot of sense too, and the fairly flat summer market has prices somewhat stable at the moment....great value too in pre ceramic ones 14060 and the like.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,578 ✭✭✭scwazrh

The datejust pic you have up there is nice but at €12k min for fluted bezel on jubilee, it’s not worth that

Thanks i set on the seiko as my dive option.. would the blue datejust be two much in the same wheelhouse - two blue dials? batton dials?

• Advertisement

Cant wear em both at the same time so really doesnt matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,338 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That's the kind of logic that leads to lots of watches 😁

Yeah i just want a small varied collection (this year)

In last year or so ive had the Aqua Terra, speedmaster, Brosnan Seamaster quartz, Seiko, sinn 556a

Come to think of it i wasnt that enamored with the sinn 556a which a lot of people compare to the rolex explorer. Does the explorer wear bigger?

I could just keep the speedmaster and be done with it... its a fairly nice piece in its own right and ive gone to the bother of servicing it so its like a new watch.

I was assuming new at €12k - Big loss in a year on a Rolex

• Registered Users Posts: 8,686 ✭✭✭893bet

C24 is 30% over market remember…..

You must have forgot that when you priced your VC 😂

No. Not at all. As Banie would testify to…..adverts is also 30 percent over market…

I’ve no doubt Banie would be getting the best possible deal from you and certainly the safest purchase possible

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

I was in Galway town recently and tried this on in Hartmanns (who seemed to not be a Rolex or Omega dealer any more). I was quite taken with it despite not being a huge fan of the modern Submariner. This is definitely different in a slightly not-quite-discernible way. They were looking for €12,000 for it (which ain't gonna happen from me anyway).

Seadweller is a cool watch, the lack of a Cyclops give it a cleaner look very like a preceramic sub 14060. I know a guy selling s preceramic seadweller think it's a 1999 tritium dial one...should be significantly cheaper. Pm me if interested I will pass the contact on.

• Registered Users Posts: 598 ✭✭✭fulladapipes

It's very much like the 14060. It is thicker though due to greater depth rating with thicker crystal and the 16600 has solid end links.

My watch guy in Spain (that sounds good) thinks he has two coming in shortly so I'll see how that pans out, but if it doesn't work I'll give you a shout. And thanks for the offer.

No problem, every new Rolex on the forum give me palpitations of joy. Just love em and love to see people getting them.. For some reason the sea dweller feels like one I missed out on. And it's the last bastion of value too. I am a sucker for the ceramic bezels and while you can lament the shiny look the durability is hard to beat.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Hi All,

Haven't had the chance to post on here much lately, it's been a busy couple of weeks!

I mentioned before that I am waiting on a package via EMS Shipping from Japan since July, another very special Bell! It turns out to have been sent back

Got in touch with An Post, apperantly it has been in Ireland twice and sent back!

Found a post on another watch forum of a similar problem trying to send a package to Ireland from the US. In the post there was a link to An Post page a message regarding Import Customs [Link]

It apparently has something to do with A valid TARIC/Commodity code” (code can be found at [Link]

Have used EMS twice before and had nothing like this happen. Have gotten an email to say it has arrived back at the warehouse in Japan and It is giving me the usual options to select shipping methods, but I'm wondering, given it was them who forgot to put the code on the package, should I have to repay for the post?

Also would I be better just going with FedEx/DHL this time rather than EMS? Last time I used DHL I was met with a large customs fee so started using EMS. Have been waiting since July for this package, really looking to get it home, even if I have to fly to Japan myself and get it!

Thanks for the help

EDIT: There have been other reports of packages getting sent back mentioned on here [Link] Looking like it's something to do with An Post end, might be as well to try sending it via DHL/FedEx

Post edited by IrishPlayer on

Has anyone else noticed how big c24 have become as a seller of watches? I think they only started selling themselves maybe 12-18 months ago?

They have 3.5k of watches in stock!

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭Pablo_Flox

I had this exact same thing happen me this week. A package from the US arrived in Ireland - I heard nothing more and assumed that it was stuck in customs. After 4 days I got onto An Post to ask where it was and they said that customs have sent it back to the US because "the customs declaration which was provided electronically was insufficient."

I then emailed customs to ask what was going on and they said that it being returned was nothing to do with them, and that it was An Post's responsibility to contact me about it to get any missing info. They then referred me back to An Post..

So they are both blaming each other, but it seems like rather than reaching out to people to get the required info An Post are taking the easy way out and just retuning to sender. A very annoying experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 699 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Completely agree, very annoying experience, especially when buying crazy rare vintage watches! Can't exactly walk into a Seiko shop and ask for another Business Bell from 1967! :)

Decided to just go ahead with FedEx this time and completely avoid dealing with An Post. At this point I just want to get it home in one piece!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,692 ✭✭✭Lorddrakul

I recently had a bit of a disaster too.

I had used Parcel Motel quite successfully for a while. I had forgotten to remove it from certain eBay options when it got fecked through Brexit.

Ordered a monogrammed clasp from eBay, secondhand, just a hundred bucks. But then discovered where it was heading!

Contacted Parcel Motel, who promptly did a Pontius Pilate and said all parcels would be returned to sender.

Contacted the seller, apologised and asked if he would send again, at my expense once it had been returned. Nothing.

A week later I get an update from seller via eBay - item status updated - delivered.

Opened a dispute with eBay, told them the story and said all I wanted was seller to confirm they would resend, at my expense, when it was returned.

eBay would not play ball. They said item not delivered, refund given. I doubt the seller will sell it to me again at that price :)

I may need to get someone to snipe it for me.

Fecksticks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

I got the tracking for a new microbrand diver today, hopefully it'll arrive on Monday.

Excited to be the first person to get to see/review it

Advertisement