Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

Hi Gregor, I ordered Cindtalks 'Wappingsaw' and 'The Wind strong' about a week later from Dais.  Gibby from Dais has resent it marked as a gift.  So hopefully will get it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

I wouldn’t bet on it. Mine was marked as a gift and still returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I have just received an email from a London sender regarding my missing package.

It was recently returned to them by An Post.

The noticeable feature is that the plastic bag with the "Documents Enclosed" caption was

deliberately removed.

Is this another of the An Post dirty tricks campaign?

Interference with mail is a criminal offence and clearly it's not just my package, but thousands of others.

Perhaps I'll try to get the curiousity of the Gardai as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnstaf

According to the sender, my package was rejected by Irish customs. He has refunded the order and says he can no longer post to Ireland. There is no other seller in the world I can buy from. I needed $200 worth of parts to fix an item that cost me €1000. I only bought it because I thought the parts I needed were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

It seems that An Post are now in a hole that they are just hoping they can somehow climb their way out of by ignoring emails, messages and making their customer service chat and phone service impossible to access.

I don't have much on at the minute, so I've no problem keeping at them until I get a response. They're basically demanding a VAT charge to be paid, and returning the items to sender once payment is received.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there's an ombudsman we can complain to concerning this issue with An Post? Even if there's a rule that there should be a tarric code, if it is missing some provision must be made that the seller or recipient has a chance to address this situation. DAis records who I have had dealings with seem very professional but have no knowledge of a taric code. How are they supposed to know about a specific countries unclear requirements. This is clearly bad customer service for the the recipient. Surely some contact with us would be the best policy. Surely sending goods back without giving us a chance to reslove the situation, especially in the early stages of this new rule, breaks trading standard laws?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

An Posts complaint section says

Taking it further

If you have exhausted our complaints procedure and are not happy with the outcome, you can contact:

So ComReg I guess, looking at their site I tgink you've to put in your complaint with An Post first

How to make a complaint to your Service Provider (ECS/PRS)

• You need to make your complaint formally with, and obtain a complaint reference number from, your service provider under their code of practice for complaints handling – for additional details please refer to the menu on the left or click here
    • Service providers are allowed 10 working days to resolve your complaint
    • Where your complaint remains unresolved after 10 working days you may re

Good morning,

I am contacting you in regards to the two items that were returned to sender due to customs declaration errors.

As of the 1st of January 2021, all goods items coming into Ireland from Non-EU countries irrespective of cost are required to have electronic data sent to An Post to enable Irish Revenue to assess the goods and apply custom charges where applicable. 

Unfortunately, the senders of your goods has supplied incorrect data (No Taric Codes on either, item, this is a code used to classify the type of goods sent) and the goods cannot be declared to Irish Revenue for assessment. Your items have now been returned to sender.

It is the sender/retailers responsibilities to become familiar with these new customs processes and should fully submit these details at the time of posting, through their postal service as these details can only be amended by the origin postal service. I would advise that you contact the senders and advise of their error before they attempt to send the items again.

Items being returned are taking a little longer due to the limited availability of flights to certain regions, if this item has not been returned back to the sender in Russia, they will be required to contact their national postal service to initiate an investigation into the whereabouts of the item.

Kind Regards, 

MOD <SNIP> Don't post the names of people please.

Post edited by whiterebel on

I can't find the original email but that was the reply to emailing

david.mcredmond@anpost.ie

garrett.bridgeman@anpost.ie

Not at all, I'm sharing these things around as much as possible since it's being so vague. Really fed up with this, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere like I'm speaking another language.

My friend paid customs on an expensive item and was sent back anyway.

I think we have to go to an ombudsman. Someone on another link even suggested Joe Duffy, too. But An Post won't do anything so external pressure is needed. I'm thinking. And I think we all have to weigh in on this. Thanks again Fuzzy.

• Advertisement

I sent an email to both these lads with all my details earlier this week but no reply. I think a lot of people will cut their losses and move on about any charges paid for returned items though, and I;d say they're hoping the rest follow suit.

Someone else on the thread mentioned it, and after that a friend emailed and I did myself although I mentioned being unable to go on air. I definitely would recommend it hopefully if they see similar email subjects they'll look into it

I think I might send ComReg an email, someone said they're useless too but I'll try anything now.

I've sent an email joe@rte.ie. Joe Duffy. I'm willing to speak.

I've actually rang liveline now. They'll contact me if they need me.

Thanks so much! Feel free to mention anything from my posts here, I've emailed them screenshots on Tuesday but might send on the latest one now.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,091 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Google An Post Taric codes. There is a code generator. Input the item and give it to your shipper. https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel-Solutions/International-Parcels/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

I know we shouldn’t have to do this but it may help as there is no excuses then.

MOD <SNIP> People's names shouldn't be posted No gaurantee they'll get back but hopefully.

Post edited by whiterebel on

I also think we all need to individually report An Post to Comreg over this issue.

I don't think that garuntees it'll arrive sadly, waiting on Buyee to send a photo of the parcel so I can see what was on it

• Advertisement

No reply from liveline. But maybe they've at least contacted An Post for their story which might put heat on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Same thing happening here, I get regular parcels from outside the EU, in the last couple of weeks some are not arriving, it looks like they are just slapping a refused sticker on and returning to sender.

One of my regular suppliers was kind enough to send me a photo of the returned item....

I filled out the online form under postal and got the reply of

"if your communication was in relation to a consumer query or complaint it has NOT been sent to the correct contact. Please contact consumerline@comreg.ie "

Just incase anyone's confused on which to email (I was anyway)

It doesn’t even say why? What was wrong with the package??? Fcuking shower of incompetent muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

That’s not enough to guarantee delivery, according to my chat with them.

So you’re just left guessing. seems they don’t even know themselves what exactly they’re doing, trying to get any information from them is literally impossible. Same old copy and paste messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

My package had the documents flap ripped off too, apparently...

I think we're going to see a lot of places restrict shipment to Ireland to couriers only. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot will stop posting to Ireland altogether. It's a total embarrassment.

I think it has to be outside of the An Post system to get any move on this. Liveline might be building up research. I implore everyone affected to take it further. And yes, tampering with packages should be brought to Gardai attention.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Nothing wrong with the package, it even had the full customs details stuck on the back contained a transparent envelope.

Right, I think you should send that to Comreg and make a complaint. Total incompetence on part of An Post. Whoever decided to return it cannot do their job.

• Advertisement

I see a good few sellers on Discogs no longer ship to Ireland, and the guy I bought the charger from (The one I'm currently chasing An Post over) just cut his losses and told me he wasn't shipping to Ireland until the post service gets it's act together.

I'll keep emailing and pestering An Post anyway I can. No way they can bury their head in the sand hear and put all the blame on "delays" when this is clearly and accountability and transparency issue.

Advertisement