Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

An Post returning packages from outside the EU-See 1st post

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Reply back after 2nd time sending email to D McRedmond, from Corporate business executive. They are looking for tracking details.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭Touch Fuzzy Get Dizzy

Mine didn't say taric exactly "The customs declaration which was provided electronically was insufficient" when I messaged them is it still worth emailing?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,136 ✭✭✭notahappycamper

Yes, it is worth emailing them. This is an absolute joke. I’ve emailed them and asked them how should the label actually look and I’ve asked the shipper that the item was sent back to, to take a picture of the label that “An Post” refused and I am going to compare them. I want to see exactly why they sent it back. If there is no difference in the label, I’m going to ComReg although they are another useless shower.

Post edited by notahappycamper on

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,045 ✭✭✭silver2020

I think revenue have to issue clear guidelines. They are saying on one hand taric code, description, weight and value must be on ALL packages, but on a standard cn22 form it only says Taric code "if known"

The CN22 form, which is international, has to be updated and state that Taric code and country of origin must be included.

Revenue/AnPost need to give leeway for a few months for goods under €150 and maybe introduce the stricter regime in January.

But its both that are at fault and it very frustrating as its causing huge delays

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,464 ✭✭✭✭blade1

It's hard to say what will do the trick.

If only they gave us a chance to rectify.

6 fortnightly magazines from the UK with cn22 complete sent back and no explanation to me or seller.

1 parcel worth 130 euro sent back which I can only assume is missing the taric code.

1 Amazon parcel that they were looking for vat even though I had paid it at checkout.

I was able to rectify this by getting ioss number off seller and emailing it to them.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,008 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

"As of the 1st of January 2021, all goods items coming into Ireland from Non-EU countries irrespective of cost are required to have electronic data sent to An Post to enable Irish Revenue to assess the goods and apply custom charges where applicable. 

Unfortunately, the sender of your goods has supplied incorrect data and the goods cannot be declared to Irish Revenue for assessment. Your Item has now been returned to sender and you will need to contact your retailer regarding this matter."

So, its not Customs, its An Post making the decision. I have asked them what exactly is missing.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 MrCouperin

It does seem to be An Post alright - FedEx and other couriers seem to be delivering TARIC-less packages fine as usual.

This hasn't been happening to me since the 1st of January, only since July (or actually August). I had 4 parcels from Japan before July, all of which arrived fine without any TARIC codes, and one that arrived in Dublin after the new system came into effect (apparently) that was also delivered fine to me despite the TARIC codes not being there. There's something strange about the story An Post are giving - the spiel they gave you suggests that the TARIC codes were needed as far back as January even for items under the old €22 exemption. My experience suggests otherwise, though.

They're infuriatingly hard to get a straight answer from.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,110 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

An Post had better not make any future corporate lies about how concerned they are about global warming and CO2 how they are doing their part by doing xyz.

I think that's a mistake, and should be July 1st to coincide with no minimum for VAT.

FedEx and the rest of the couriers probably have all this fed into their system at export, which mean they just have to send the customs entry online as soon as it arrives. This is what An Post are trying to implement but don't seem to have told anyone else.

• Advertisement

Done that, hopefully something comes out of it.

My Taobao orders have arrived, way too heavy for FedEx, I wonder if they can hold onto it. They also seem unaware of what's happening here.

• Registered Users Posts: 143 ✭✭labrik

Hi Gregor, I ordered Cindtalks 'Wappingsaw' and 'The Wind strong' about a week later from Dais.  Gibby from Dais has resent it marked as a gift.  So hopefully will get it this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

I wouldn’t bet on it. Mine was marked as a gift and still returned.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭rf4c

I have just received an email from a London sender regarding my missing package.

It was recently returned to them by An Post.

The noticeable feature is that the plastic bag with the "Documents Enclosed" caption was

deliberately removed.

Is this another of the An Post dirty tricks campaign?

Interference with mail is a criminal offence and clearly it's not just my package, but thousands of others.

Perhaps I'll try to get the curiousity of the Gardai as well?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 Johnstaf

According to the sender, my package was rejected by Irish customs. He has refunded the order and says he can no longer post to Ireland. There is no other seller in the world I can buy from. I needed $200 worth of parts to fix an item that cost me €1000. I only bought it because I thought the parts I needed were available.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭innuendo141

It seems that An Post are now in a hole that they are just hoping they can somehow climb their way out of by ignoring emails, messages and making their customer service chat and phone service impossible to access.

I don't have much on at the minute, so I've no problem keeping at them until I get a response. They're basically demanding a VAT charge to be paid, and returning the items to sender once payment is received.

• Advertisement

Does anyone know if there's an ombudsman we can complain to concerning this issue with An Post? Even if there's a rule that there should be a tarric code, if it is missing some provision must be made that the seller or recipient has a chance to address this situation. DAis records who I have had dealings with seem very professional but have no knowledge of a taric code. How are they supposed to know about a specific countries unclear requirements. This is clearly bad customer service for the the recipient. Surely some contact with us would be the best policy. Surely sending goods back without giving us a chance to reslove the situation, especially in the early stages of this new rule, breaks trading standard laws?

An Posts complaint section says

Taking it further

If you have exhausted our complaints procedure and are not happy with the outcome, you can contact:

So ComReg I guess, looking at their site I tgink you've to put in your complaint with An Post first

How to make a complaint to your Service Provider (ECS/PRS)

• You need to make your complaint formally with, and obtain a complaint reference number from, your service provider under their code of practice for complaints handling – for additional details please refer to the menu on the left or click here
    • Service providers are allowed 10 working days to resolve your complaint
    • Where your complaint remains unresolved after 10 working days you may re

Good morning,

I am contacting you in regards to the two items that were returned to sender due to customs declaration errors.

As of the 1st of January 2021, all goods items coming into Ireland from Non-EU countries irrespective of cost are required to have electronic data sent to An Post to enable Irish Revenue to assess the goods and apply custom charges where applicable. 

Unfortunately, the senders of your goods has supplied incorrect data (No Taric Codes on either, item, this is a code used to classify the type of goods sent) and the goods cannot be declared to Irish Revenue for assessment. Your items have now been returned to sender.

It is the sender/retailers responsibilities to become familiar with these new customs processes and should fully submit these details at the time of posting, through their postal service as these details can only be amended by the origin postal service. I would advise that you contact the senders and advise of their error before they attempt to send the items again.

Items being returned are taking a little longer due to the limited availability of flights to certain regions, if this item has not been returned back to the sender in Russia, they will be required to contact their national postal service to initiate an investigation into the whereabouts of the item.

Kind Regards, 

MOD <SNIP> Don't post the names of people please.

Post edited by whiterebel on

I can't find the original email but that was the reply to emailing

david.mcredmond@anpost.ie

garrett.bridgeman@anpost.ie

Not at all, I'm sharing these things around as much as possible since it's being so vague. Really fed up with this, I feel like I'm not getting anywhere like I'm speaking another language.

My friend paid customs on an expensive item and was sent back anyway.

I think we have to go to an ombudsman. Someone on another link even suggested Joe Duffy, too. But An Post won't do anything so external pressure is needed. I'm thinking. And I think we all have to weigh in on this. Thanks again Fuzzy.

• Advertisement

I sent an email to both these lads with all my details earlier this week but no reply. I think a lot of people will cut their losses and move on about any charges paid for returned items though, and I;d say they're hoping the rest follow suit.

Someone else on the thread mentioned it, and after that a friend emailed and I did myself although I mentioned being unable to go on air. I definitely would recommend it hopefully if they see similar email subjects they'll look into it

I think I might send ComReg an email, someone said they're useless too but I'll try anything now.

I've sent an email joe@rte.ie. Joe Duffy. I'm willing to speak.

I've actually rang liveline now. They'll contact me if they need me.

Thanks so much! Feel free to mention anything from my posts here, I've emailed them screenshots on Tuesday but might send on the latest one now.

Google An Post Taric codes. There is a code generator. Input the item and give it to your shipper. https://www.anpost.com/Commerce/Parcel-Solutions/International-Parcels/Find-a-TARIC-Commodity-code

I know we shouldn’t have to do this but it may help as there is no excuses then.

MOD <SNIP> People's names shouldn't be posted No gaurantee they'll get back but hopefully.

Post edited by whiterebel on

I also think we all need to individually report An Post to Comreg over this issue.

I don't think that garuntees it'll arrive sadly, waiting on Buyee to send a photo of the parcel so I can see what was on it

• Advertisement

No reply from liveline. But maybe they've at least contacted An Post for their story which might put heat on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Same thing happening here, I get regular parcels from outside the EU, in the last couple of weeks some are not arriving, it looks like they are just slapping a refused sticker on and returning to sender.

One of my regular suppliers was kind enough to send me a photo of the returned item....

I filled out the online form under postal and got the reply of

"if your communication was in relation to a consumer query or complaint it has NOT been sent to the correct contact. Please contact consumerline@comreg.ie "

Just incase anyone's confused on which to email (I was anyway)

It doesn’t even say why? What was wrong with the package??? Fcuking shower of incompetent muppets.

• Registered Users Posts: 30 hammerheart

That’s not enough to guarantee delivery, according to my chat with them.

So you’re just left guessing. seems they don’t even know themselves what exactly they’re doing, trying to get any information from them is literally impossible. Same old copy and paste messages.

My package had the documents flap ripped off too, apparently...

I think we're going to see a lot of places restrict shipment to Ireland to couriers only. I wouldn't be surprised if a lot will stop posting to Ireland altogether. It's a total embarrassment.

I think it has to be outside of the An Post system to get any move on this. Liveline might be building up research. I implore everyone affected to take it further. And yes, tampering with packages should be brought to Gardai attention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,107 ✭✭✭hi5

Nothing wrong with the package, it even had the full customs details stuck on the back contained a transparent envelope.

Right, I think you should send that to Comreg and make a complaint. Total incompetence on part of An Post. Whoever decided to return it cannot do their job.

• Advertisement

I see a good few sellers on Discogs no longer ship to Ireland, and the guy I bought the charger from (The one I'm currently chasing An Post over) just cut his losses and told me he wasn't shipping to Ireland until the post service gets it's act together.

I'll keep emailing and pestering An Post anyway I can. No way they can bury their head in the sand hear and put all the blame on "delays" when this is clearly and accountability and transparency issue.

It appears “easier” to slap a return to sender sticker on an item than process it for customs…

If they sent it by courier, it's an expensive option but at least it'll get here alright. I'm avoiding An Post completely for non-EU stuff from now on.

I've had a lot of weird things happen to packages over the years. One time, a Christmas card posted from about 10km away in Cork went to Dingle because the address was in Irish. Another time, a pretty expensive set of music books was sent back to America because it was delivered to the wrong house, which was just down the road. Another set of expensive music books was lost, and the replacement was lost too. But this is by far the most annoying thing An Post have ever done to my stuff.

I'm beginning to think there's a bigger agenda here. I don't know what but it a real An Post policy from the top, rather than a few incompetent idiots in the warehouse!

Neither the Customer Services nor the CEO himself are answering emails any more, but keep filling their mail boxes anyway. Keeping records of the complaints matter when the reckoning comes.

If you intend to use Comreg, you must first go though the procedure. I mailed them and asked out straight if I was wasting my time and they told me no I'm not, as long as I go through the procedures. After you go through An Post customer services, your next step is the arbitration, and then the small claims court for monetary losses, and Comreg for the behaviour of An Post, but Comreg only want to know when you've done everything else. This is probably why An Post have taken to ignoring mails - it delays the whole process.

I imported a box of processed foods from a UK supermarket who are used to shipping to expats all over Europe. My package was held from August 9th and since then I have mailed An Post 5 times to ask them what information is missing and what I need to submit to release the package. 5 times they ignored me, and returned the package to the UK yesterday, a new low.

As far as I can see we need to contact

Comreg

Minister Eamon Ryan, Michael Martin and Leo Varadkar.

RTE - Duffy - Tubridy - and any other news / chat shows.

All Radio and TV stations.

All the print and online newspapers, particularly the Irish Times, who recently gave Mcc Redmond "Businessman of the Year" award for his success growing An Post!

Every Irish interest Facebook page / Twitter and Instagram too!

The Press Office of the Irish offices of the EU ireland.representation.ec.europa.eu/news-and-events/press-resources-and-contacts_en

Other EU consumer affairs and ombudmen offices: ireland.representation.ec.europa.eu/contact-european-union/contact-ireland/other-institutions-and-offices_en

If we had any legal muscle here, I'd happpily make a crowd fund contribution to get an injunction against An Post halting their re-export policy and compelling them to co-operate with parcel receivers.

Let's get every gun firing from every vicctim of An Post ASAP

I doubt if any of us would mind observing the TARIC declaration rules if

a) An Post would engage with us and give a clear tutorial and how

b) Learn it themselves

c) Stop lying to us

They charge a handling fee anyway! I thought this would cover communication with customers while paperwork is sorted, even if they time limited the process.

Anyway good luck to all, I'm off to action the above list. Don't leave me alone!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,224 ✭✭✭marklazarcovic

if you think the 3.50 processing fee an post charge is daylight robbery, wait until they tell customs to sort it out themselves, including collection...

I would like to acknowledge receipt of your correspondence to the Commission for Communications Regulation (“ComReg”).

Please be advised that ComReg would not have any remit regarding customs or the forms that are necessary with the delivery of goods.

You may still wish to utilise An Post's complaints process as outlined below.

An Post can be contacted through the following forums:

An Post's online contact form can be viewed on: https://www.anpost.com/Help-Support/Contact-Us

Online enquiry form for missing, delayed or damaged items: https://forms.anpost.ie/enquiry

By Phone: 01 -7057600

By Post:

Customer Services,

General Post Office,

O’Connell Street Lower,

Freepost,

Dublin1

D01F5P2

An Post’s complaints procedures are available on its website: https://www.anpost.com/Customer-Charter/Feedback-Complaints

Please be advised that you must allow 30 calendar days for An Post to respond and provide a resolution to your complaint in accordance with their Code of Practice.

You should be provided with a unique reference number (usually starting with CS or WB) however if you are not provided with this ask the Customer Services Agent to confirm it.

If you are unhappy with the resolution offered by An Post you may then escalate your complaint to the Customer Advocate, who you can contact online at https://www.anpost.com/Help-Support/Customer-Advocate-Form​ or by post at the below address

Customer Advocate,

An Post,

GPO

O’Connell Street Lower

FREEPOST,

Dublin 1

D01 F5P2

A further 30 days must be given to the Customer Advocate to respond to the complaint. In the final response from the Customer Advocate you will be advised that if you remain dissatisfied with the Customer Advocate decision you can contact ComReg for resolution of your dispute in accordance with Section 43(3) of the 2011 Postal Act or of the possibility of seeking redress through court proceedings.

Should you have any other queries or require any other assistance you can call our Consumer Care Team on 01 8049668 or email consumerline@comreg.ie.

• Advertisement

I just got my email back in the post above this

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,324 ✭✭✭el Fenomeno

I've had to 2 packages returned to sender - one from Canada, one from the US.

Both were declared as gifts (confirmed by the sellers).

Why should a TARIC code matter for gifts? Or are they just returning aboslutely everything?

Comreg- a great bunch of incompetent fcukwits. It’s a process break down. How are the recipients meant to know that their item that they have paid for has been returned to sender?

These Taric codes. Some people are saying if the value is under a certain amount they are not needed - is this true??

Does anyone have a sample correctly completed form of something they received recently from outside the EU showing what needs to be done?

Also, who is meant to tell the shipper about these codes? Has a bulletin gone out to every non-EU company that ships to advise of same? Is it up to the recipient to advise???

An Post are saying the initiative is on the sender which is not quite true.

The sender should take care to declare items properly, BUT if they don't An Post should (like every other carrier in Europe) notify the recipient to submit correct information and if necessary put a time limit on it after which either a storage charge is applied and after that an "unreasonable time" then returned to sender.

Part of the problem seems to be that An Post will not employ any extra staff to take account of the extra work due to Idiot Bojo's Brexit.

As for the postal unions protecting workers and working classes, they're too busy licking An Post's Boards bums!

• Advertisement
Advertisement