Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you concerned about the destruction of the natural world and climate change?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Ok well the disdain you hold for people because of their dietary choices can't be healthy, I suggest you let it go.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They've an ad running with the tagine " Binning is Sinning", Quasi- religious fundamentalists

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Fossil fuel extraction and consumption are the major damaging sectors.

We don’t yet have a technology capable of replacing them.

Taxing them excessively will just collapse government after government as voters aren’t prepared to tear down their society when no alternative exists.

I often wonder will we see whistleblowers coming forward from within the petrochemical sectors as happened when big tobacco was taken into task for knowingly misleading people as to the health dangers of tobacco. I see Shell etc selling “carbon neutral” petrol, something that’s a physical impossibility, extracting, processing and burning petrol is a linear carbon exercise, no part of the system sequesters carbon, it cannot be carbon neutral.

similarly the airline industry cannot be carbon neutral, it has no carbon sequestration associated.

It’s like a doctor shooting a patient for having a sore toe. Yea it solves the problem but it’s madness.

For sure some animal farming practices could definitely improve. But much of what is pushed as widespread is actually rare and often happens in other countries not ireland.

humans evolved as omnivores and continue to be omnivores. The best dietary advice is eating as wide a variety of foods as is possible, it improves your intake and reduces the chances of eating anything to excess. It’s more enjoyable too.

eat well, move on, leave others to choose how they eat.

You keep saying that. Why? Why do you blame Ireland for agricultural carbon emissions for food that is exported to China, but when it comes to China their emissions are also our fault. Why do you also ignore that China is a huge consumer market

also what would be the point on reducing European levels - you are going to blame Europe for Chinese emissions anyway.

unless we ban Chinese products - is that your demand?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

If you go through the thread and look at his comments on the Chinese , Xenophobia to put it mildly

Average Chinese person has lower carbon footprint than Irish citizens.

the whole whataboutery pointing at third world countries is tiresome at best.

Well my point is that there's no point in pointing at China all the time when we do so much business with them.

Do I want to ban Chinese products? Yes, a lot of them if I had my way. The so called free market has a lot to answer for. I think products shouldn't be allowed come onto the market here until they are approved by some kind of board that looks at sustainability. The amount of absolute rubbish we import is just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

You say can "we do anything?" and the answer is "no"

Of course there is. The only ones polluting the planet are corporations. Stop buying their crap and their sales will quickly fall. That right there is a simple statement of intent. It takes 4 litres of water to make 1 litre of Coca Cola. Stop buying that crap. It's bad for you anyway. Spanish farmers can't give away oranges. You can probably buy a ton of Seville oranges for 50 quid. Drink orange juice. It's delicious, healthy and won't turn your kids into hyperactive blimps with acne and rotten teeth. The fossil fuel industry is a harder nut to crack. We all need or seem to need plastic in our lives. And I agree. It's hard to do without products that are convenient. I'm guilty of it myself. But just stop buying crappy products and find an alternative.

There was a time when you would have been called a weirdo for quitting smoking. Simple, lame little habits that just become normal will save you money and accrued wiill save energy. Unplug the effing telly instead of just putting it on standby.

Take all your potato skins, apple butts, banana peels, etc and find a place where there are trees and dump the lot in there. The forest will be howling with gratitude as all the mushrooms move in and take it all apart.

Check out that great documentary Fantastic Fungi.

You don't have to become a tree-hugger who drinks their own urine or dowses their arse with sawdust after crapping on the compost heap. Just stop buying crap and save money.

And have more sex. It's better than watching Netflix.

@ShatterAlan Good outlook ☺️💪

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Orange Juice is healthy? That's a big jump. It has vit C, potassium, etc.... but otherwise it has about as much sugar as coca cola.

Are we gone so far both in terms of GHGs and society being set in its ways, that the only hope is a “technical solution” to help draw down GHGs from the atmosphere.

can’t see society as a whole allowing a tearing down of lifestyles as is being called for by many groups.

Yes people wont vote for anyone promising less, I am certain people would rather carry on as is until war for resources becomes inevitable. Unless some kind of benevolent Green dictatorships take power around the world.

Scary thing is groups like ER would gladly force dictatorships on society.

that in itself shows they are unworthy of any support.

I don't really know how the planet can be saved without some really tough measures being brought in that the people wont like, and that just isn't possible under the current governance in western countries.

But surely you don’t actually beleive dictatorships is the way forward

• Registered Users Posts: 21,517 ✭✭✭✭Tell me how

That is the harsh reality. There is no magic bullet. Western societies have been built on the premise of ever increasing revenue, growth and markets. That is simply unsustainable (for a variety of reasons). Very crudely speaking, there's probably 2 ways to fix this.

1 = A collective adjustment on demands and expectations to account for this (would be challenged by many as being the most hated of all C words (Communism))

2 - Survival of the fittest, expect to see concern over natural resources leading to disparate experiences based on wealth and power and the likely conflict that would come as a consequence of that.

Or maybe someone else can suggest a path from where we are that doesn't involve either of these 2 futures in a significant way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,036 ✭✭✭✭tom1ie

id pretty much agree and say it’ll end up going down the second option route.

unless we invent the replicator from Star Trek first.

Earl grey- hot.

What do you mean by 'ridiculously long way'? Do you mean in terms of population growth, time, GDP?

Some would argue that economic growth has been allowed to advance ridiculously uncontrolled to this point. The Amazon has decreased in size by 20% in the last 50 years.

The rate at which we are consuming natural resources is already unsustainable. Part of the reason that the climate conversation is such an issue is that too many stakeholders consider anything which is likely to run out after their lifetime or professional interest as not being a concern.

Humans don’t have tie tools to deal with this issue. Look at us here. Elected the Green Party into government and what have they done ?? Their leader was asleep in the Dail on a number of occasions, when he had a chance to speak at a critical time he mumbled on about growing lettuce on south facing windows. They are supporting an additional terminal to receive fracked gas, the dirtiest of fuels. They have been a disaster.

next government likely be SF, completely untested in government and their financial proposals at election time are a sort of Harry Potter ish rambling.

Imdividuals making changes is nice but essentially no addition to the overall problem. We need cohesive plans and there are no signs where they might come from.

• Advertisement

We need cohesive plans and there are no signs where they might come from.

That is the point I have made repeatedly, but where are they likely to come from before it becomes a necessity rather than trying to optimise the resources the planet has presented to us.

The last 18 months have shown us just how many people don't want to follow the science, it really makes be very skeptical that anything worth while will be done. But people line up to denigrate Greta for pointing this out.

If you were in a position to influence this, what steps would you introduce to do so?

I'm not at all saying you are wrong, but am interested in the alternatives. We are dealing with a society where people won't give up their car when 50% of journeys are less than a couple of miles and there are buses, trains, bikes available. Do you really think we can get to a place where we tell one of the wealthiest companies on the planet that we don't want a new phone every September but maybe every 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,679 ✭✭✭✭cnocbui

I'm an Australian.

The comment was premised on the fact that the Chinese don't give a sh​it and neither does India. An Indian owned mining company (Adani) just got going in Qld and plans to export 10M tonnes of coal to India a year for the next 3 decades. As for China:

"China's provinces still planning over 100 GW of new coal projects - Greenpeace"

The make noises about becoming CO2 zero by 2050, but I expect to see flying pigs doing mach 2.2 before then.

So if India and China are not joining the party, everyone else on the planet might as well find a comfy chair, put their feet up and light a cigar and blow smoke rings.

Or maybe Australia shouldn't be exporting coal to these places. And we shouldn't be buying Chinese goods. So countries that aren't India and China can do plenty to stop these countries producing so much Co2.

Let's all just go back to neolithic living. After your fifth dead child in a row, you might start to have regrets. Anyone know how much Chinese made stuff is in a modern Hospital? I recently bought a vacuum cleaner made in Germany as I didn't want to buy Chinese. I recently bought a tool from a good German company. When it arrived, it became apparent it was made in China. What make and model of phone do you use, by the way?

Well you keep saying we shouldn't do anything because China, but you still want to buy cheap Chinese goods. I'm just making the point that it's a globalised world and a global problem. We're going back to Neolithic living anyway if we don't change the way we live pretty soon.

Are you real? I just pointed out I have been trying to not buy Chinese goods. It's got nothing to do with concerns over CO2, but it's exactly the same thing you have been calling for ad nauseam.

We are not going back to the neolithic. You seem to be in the nut-job climate catastrophist camp, whose bleatings and chicken littleing are near comic.

OK then we'll carry on with this capitalist consumer psycho behaviour as is and humanity will just be fine

Yeah, yeah, sure we are, and you're in the , eternal sunlit uplands and opportunity on the horizon head in sand camp. Did you see the videos on Twitter from NY last night?

If you had a kid, and every time they were thirsty, they poured a full glass of milk, took a mouthful and poured the rest down the sink, would you tell them to stop if you still had 6 more litres in the fridge, or would you wait until you were down to the last one?

The rate we are using resources is not sustainable, aside from the associated damage harvesting and burning these resources is doing.

• Advertisement
Advertisement