Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Coveney claims to have previously been hacked.

Options
  • 01-09-2021 1:16pm
    Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭

This would flow with Zappone thread but the latest claim by Simon Coveney is of absolutely huge import with regard Ireland's national security and diplomacy.

Coveney has claimed that he clears his phone regularly as he has previously been victim of a hack. Now this is vitally important as this man holds 2 of the most security sensitive ministerial posts in Foreign Affairs and Defence...

Yet, the issue that brings this man's security being breached into the public domain? Is his excusing deleting texts, as he regularly "clears" his phone?

It gives the impression he regularly resets his device? In the age of 2FA, SCA and server side retention?

None of this makes sense, in particular any and all ministerial communication should be subject to preservation order and archive. Not the whim of the recipient.

I don't believe him, I think this is a ridiculous hill to stake ones political career on and I do hope that given this man is the arbiter of our state security and intelligence service as well as privy to all our diplomatic Comms.

I would hope that that this is investigated in the full light of day by the Dail Committees with oversight of Defence and FA, and journalists ensure a satisfactory answer is provided to the Who, What, Where and when of this massive breach of our national security.

Post edited by Beasty on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Various authors and insiders will tell you most bugging/hacking of Irish diplomatic staff has traditionally been from British security services. Listening devices inside government buildings/phone tapping, that sort of stuff.

It was endemic in the 70's and 80's. I'm not sure how it is today as it's not written on as much after the northern conflict but with Brexit and Ireland's role in that I don't think it would surprise anyone that diplomats/officials here are hacked/bugged.

In fact I'd be surprised if it's changed that much really.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

We know that.

The issue at hand here IMO is far different tho.

The Minister has claimed he deletes data on a regular basis due to a prior hack. All ministerial Comms must be archived afaik? Further deleting data does not preclude it's leaking from a compromised device, particularly if the device has been exploited via a rootkit or some of the more advanced Israeli software.

The issue is that Minister of Defense and Foreign affairs for a nation with a seat at the UN security council, is claiming to have been hacked and is running his own opsec via a routine deletion.

What data has been compromised? What matters of our defence, our diplomatic communication and data attained via our UN position has been potentially leaked?

Why was a matter of such national import, mentioned in passing as part of evading am FOI request regarding an invite to Zappones party?

• Registered Users Posts: 228 ✭✭mickotoole

• Registered Users Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

Is this a kindof April fools joke... Surely a few heads should roll if this article correct...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

How does he know he was hacked? Is it just his hunch or did he give up his phone to be checked by the Cyber Crime unit in the Gardai to confirm it has been hacked in the past? Did he report it to the Gardai as a crime and whats the status of their investigation? And who do they suspect of doing the hacking?

Theres so many questions for Simon to answer here. He is the Minister of Defence so why isnt he getting to the bottom of who was hacking him, it is a clear national security issue. If he is not taking his phone being hacked seriously then why is he even the Minister of Defence?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,867 ✭✭✭skimpydoo

Yesterday, Coveney claimed he deleted the messages to free up space on his phone. When it was pointed out that this was not an issue, he suddenly claims he was hacked?. Which was it Simple Simon? You needed to free up space? or because you were hacked in the past?

It's neither as Coveney is a sneaky lying bollix.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,499 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I'm in two minds here. On the one hand Coveney is making a needless hash of this whole thing. On the other I think he is the most gifted politician in the Dail who has done great work in DFA particularly over Brexit.

Just sort it out ffs.

It's past sorting out. The only option left is for Coveney to resign.

A story about to break about Minister Coveney and he's trying to get ahead of it?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

He never said he was "hacked" while he was a Minister. So it may not necessarily be a national security issue.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,503 ✭✭✭✭banie01

That this "hack" is "broken" as an effort to distract from the Zappone matter, rather than admit to being corrupt or playing the old game of jobs for the boys(or girls)

He claims to be deleting data on an ongoing basis due to a prior hack 🙄 Seriously this is a matter for the D J2 and the Special Branch.

Our Minister has claimed he was hacked, there is a difference between a phishing attempt and a hack that I'm sure Coveney would be well aware of.

The hacking of an iPhone in anycase is not really a matter for anyone, it takes targeted resources at a state level. Coveney's excuse for losing the messages is unbelievable and given his particular portfolios?

It is very urgent that either the state's security apparatus investigates and reports on the status of the phone, and the circumstances of the prior hack. Or, Coveney recants his claim and resigns.

In either case, deleting communications on the fly as a minister should be a stackable offense!

According to Pearse Doherty it's an offence that he can be charged with.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭rock22

Seems like he is playing the old Bertie Aherne trick ( I don't have a bank account ) so no one can check on his texts

• Registered Users Posts: 40,179 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

what is going on with posts in this thread being deleted?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,238 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

If be surprised if the Brits and Americans didn't have some people on their payroll tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,615 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

He's been a Minister of some description for the last 10 years. Even if he claims it happened before that when did he report this crime to the Gardai and what was the outcome of the investigation? Theres so many unanswered questions, if he was hacked while a MInister and didnt report it to the Special Branch that on its own is a national security issue and certainly a potential resigning matter for the current Minister of Defence who is not taking national security seriously.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,479 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

to add to the fog, if this is correct, he was not hacked:

• Registered Users Posts: 25,420 ✭✭✭✭sligojoek

I was going to say something similar. He was hacked before becoming a minister and has done nothing about improving his security since.

Surely there's a central system that records data from all "official state" devices and backs it up in case of "accidental" deletion. Would have been handy for Martin Callinan and Noreen O Sullivan. They could have proved their innocence.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Simon Coveney is deleting them. His account was hacked a while back

He was in his hole hacked. Its like me telling my teacher that my dog ate my homework.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,107 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭ForestFire

How does deleting text message from known contacts protect you from a hack or phishing from someone else?

• Registered Users Posts: 40 rocjohn

Any government business conducted by phone should be done on a secure government owned phone ,all communications should be downloaded and stored and periodic security checks of those phones carried out.

There is a good reason why a civil servant (member of the permanent government) is always present with a minister ,it prevents corruption and scenarios such as the corrupt appointment of Zappone.The permanent government should have a digital presence as above.

GCHQ monitors everything ,Coveney et al make themselves vulnerable to blackmail etc when they make secret deals off the books unknown to the Irish people but recorded by foreign intelligence services.

• Registered Users Posts: 493 ✭✭BobHopeless

Keep digging Simon.

It doesn't. If Coveney knew his tech he would stop digging.

• Registered Users Posts: 61 ✭✭solasGael

I think of him as a highly skilled politician, whar happened. He keeps digging himself in deeper.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,297 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I don't understand why they don't then just get the senders of the texts to show their conversations, he can only delete his copy, they will still have theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

Does everyone you know report a crime to the Gardai when their phone/Facebook/WhatsApp has been hacked/scammed/imitated?

• Registered Users Posts: 27,223 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,258 ✭✭✭ForestFire

In our company we are constantly doing cyber security training, which includes a nice little test, and have a cyber security hotline, were we have to report even any suspicious activity.

If a company phone or laptop got hacked, then yes we are obliged to report it immediately.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement