Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Coveney claims to have previously been hacked.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,870 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So **** you if you ask for politicians to have some integrity and to stop doing their business the old way?

It has nothing to do with SF, I have criticised SF for the same kind of arrogance.

Sorry Kermit, NOBODY is irreplaceable, as me Da used to say 'The graveyard is full of the indispensable'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I think Coveney was lying. Most people will think the same.

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

We're still waiting for your previous prediction of the EU throwing us under the bus for the Brits. Your obsession with Brexit is unhealthy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Oh please...

Listen, the man told an initial silly lie, and, after realising how silly it sounded, changed that lie to a different one without realising the uproar involved surrounding "a ministers phone being hacked"

Unless of course Simon's claiming the texts were on a non government provided phone, but then that raises further questions as to why he was conducting government business, on a personal phone.

Same with the other lad who wants proof that FG ministers and TDs were in a Leo Varadkar created, FG WhatsApp group were all using non government phones to partake in it.

Time to stop digging lads.

Coveney and the rest of them would say any oul sh!te to wriggle out of whatever trouble they're in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,426 ✭✭✭maestroamado

What trouble are you talking about... they can and will do as the please as we are all eejits to put up with this stih...

It works because Martin has made himself and FF politically impotent by his own over zealous desire to be Taoiseach.

Do not be surprised if this is overlooked too and wagons are circled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,266 ✭✭✭Oops!

You really would wonder.... What sort of bullshit/or behavour would be enough for people to stand up and say..... "Right, that's it, I've had enough".... We really are a bunch of clowns that let this sort of stuff pass of as the norm with these self serving cronies.... They really are living in a bubble.

Simon didn't lick it off a stone....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

He has to go. We get the politicians we deserve, we need to demand accountability.

Simon Coveney cares deeply about Simon Coveney.

i know that usually pointing east and shouting "But the Brits" is enough to deflect people's attention, but it is really pushing it to try it this time.

Coveney is an arrogant self publicising prick and people are starting to see through this. Varadkar lying about not having any messages in a FoI request isn't helping either.

FG either need to find another stooge like they did with Maria Bailey, or he has to go.

• Advertisement

no politician ever resigns in Ireland, Hogan would still be in place had he stayed in Ireland. He thought he safe in Brussels but people there are accountable...

Its good enough for us as it goes on and on and on and on...

The independents ans SF are saying nothing cozy little setup... and its our fault....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,732 ✭✭✭Floppybits

There will always be those that will blindly follow and make excuses for the political party that they zealousy support, thankfully these people are few are far between. The problem we have a the moment in this country is that the alternative mainly SF is less appealing and there is an apprehension amongst voters to let them into government. I am one of them, I want to see FG and FF consigned to history, I think both parties are corrupt from top to bottom and are no longer interested in what is good for the country but only interested is what is good for themselves and their backers but like I have said I am apprehensive about SF being in government, they haven't really set the world alight in opposition and seem to jump on the latest band wagon that is passing. So for a voter like me who has no party allegiance we are between a rock and a hard place.

I agree with you here Floppybits.

Despite allegations to the contrary I have no particular political allegiances and have voted for FF and FG in the past.

I voted for SF because it represents the only way to break this toxic power swap. The toxicity being particularly apparent now that they have coalesced.

Despite that toxicity, the changes are evident. They may be toxic but they are no longer getting away with it and accountability is being forced on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭CarProblem

This is true - there is a lot of disillusionment. I (and a lot of friends etc) would be economically right of centre. There is absolutely no right of centre party to vote for (IMO). A lot of my friends etc still vote for FG on the basis of the party is seen as not right, but the least left. FG currently benefits from a lot of people thinking there's only more left wing alternatives. An actual right of centre party would do quite well at the minute, I'm not naive. It wouldn't usurp the civial war parties but I definitely think there's 10-15% of the vote up for grabs in that space

I am voting now on the basis of a process of elimination. I simply won't vote for any party in power for the last 25 or so years. Simple as. I also haven't voted for SF yet and don't foresee me doing so in the next 5-10 years. Have I worries about the so called left alternative? Yes, but I'm going to cross parties off the list that I fell have messed up before I cross of those I think will mess up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,594 ✭✭✭Cluedo Monopoly

I agree, we are a very weak and subservient electorate

What are they doing in the Hyacinth House?

Nail on the head. I hate the state of the country under FFG. I'm dreading the state of the country if SF ever get power. There is literally no one for someone like me to vote for. I want a party strict on controlled immigration, tough on crime, to recognize the squeezed middle, not on the "woke" bandwagon, who want the complete separation of state and church. A government who governs, and not a nanny.

Simon is sticking to the hacked story it seems.

Interesting that a lowly (I never heard of him anyhow) FGer David Stanton was able to say yesterday that there was a hacking incident but nobody else seems to have been aware of this serious issue.

Gavan Reilly on Twitter: "Simon Coveney spokesperson says they are constrained from mentioning security specifics, but that Coveney yesterday said he had been hacked “and that is the case”. This suggests last year’s phishing incident, cited by David Stanton yesterday, did involve phone being compromised." / Twitter

If what you are saying is correct we will have a few resignations... I cannot see the current opposition asking for heads... Surely there will be a review but it will go nowhere.

What really put me off SF is this time they never suggested going into Government, they let the other parties do as they please. MaryLou should have put her name forward for Taoiseach, i know she would not have got the support but she would have made the statement SF are serious players...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,201 ✭✭✭Pedro K

Mary Lou McDonald did put her name forward for Taoiseach.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/mary-lou-mcdonald-receives-dail-votes-taoiseach-970855

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,426 ✭✭✭KaneToad

Its always the little things that trip people up. This whole saga is over an insignificant (low paid) job that was bestowed on a FG luvvie.

Positions are bestowed on acolytes all the time in the political world. Ministerial office, seanad appointments, special advisors etc...This is no different.

I thought Cowen had a brass neck to compare it to his situation. But he's got his agenda too. Its a pity the real business of running the country gets overshadowed by grubby politics. But, it's the nature of the beast!

All involved in this debacle are very foolish to not realise what they were doing/facilitating.

• Advertisement

That was not the real vote, SF n ever made a serioius attempt top be in Government as they probably do not really have the people or they think they haven't as the only thing they seem to know anything about is NI and an anti British agenda...

If we use the the vote you mention she would have had to go head to head with MM to see which of them be Taoiseach, that's democratic politics, SF sat back and now we have what we have....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,835 ✭✭✭✭markodaly

It is standard procedure right across the world to not acknowledge state IT security breaches or hacks that have occurred, whether they are successful or not.

Do you honestly think Coveney should come out and say,

"Yes, my iPhone was hacked by x group/country on y date, and they got z data from my phone which compromised xyz policy initiatives by the Irish state"

I know the media love some drama, but a line has to be drawn somewhere.

Foreign affairs and defence matters should not be discussed or revealed on Twitter to satisfy some internet mob.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,687 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Luckily we will be getting the answers to all these questions next week when Coveney has to appear before the Foreign Affairs and Defence Committee yet again to explain himself. Roisin Shorthall now on radio asking did Coveney breach Irelands national security by not reporting his phone was hacked. Her collegaue Gary Gannon is on the Commitee and will be asking Coveney all about this phone hack, what he did about it, who investigated it and what was the result of that investigation. Of course if he never reported it then he is in even more hot water.

So far his excuse that he deletes text messages to prevent phone hacking is either naivety or incompetence for someone who holds a position of responsibility for national security. He has any number of cyber security experts available in the armys intelligence unit and the Gardais Special Branch who could have told him that when a phone is hacked it has software placed upon it that constantly sends data back to the hacker, in real time if they want. Deleting text messages is of little consequence if a phone is hacked, it doesnt make a jot of difference. The fact the Minister of Defence thought that it does just goes to show how incompetent he is when it comes to national security. As things stand right now any number of intelligence agencies could have his phone hacked and there is Simple Simon thinking he is thwarting them by deleting text messages now and again. Intelligence agencies would be laughing their heads off at Simple Simons cybersecurity 101. If we really have someone that stupid dealing with national security then he needs to resign.

His appearance at the Foreign Affairs and Defence Committee next week is going to be very interesting indeed.

Spot on. The handwavers can wave all they want but important questions need answering here.

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭CDarby

I haven't looked at relevant legislation, surrounding a ministers electronic device/s data being breached or even attempted breach of that data (a hack to you and I) but I'd be surprised, extremely surprised actually, that, (especially the sensitive nature of his present and past ministerial roles,), that Simon (or any other minister) wasn't compelled to report the breach, or attempted breach to the Gardai, and also internal govt I.T technical departments.

If any investigative journalist went snooping around, surely this will be uncovered, hell, given the Attorney Generals intervention on getting Leo a pass a few weeks ago, maybe Drew Harris himself will come out and intervene on Coveneys behalf citing a serious data breach concern reported by Coveney and had been dealt with on X date at Y time.....but I wouldn't count on it.

You're replicating Simon's mistakes here markodaly, basically stop digging man. FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,777 ✭✭✭✭kippy

Well there isn't and while not technicilly impossible, a lot of the issues with this type of thing aren't technical.

There are multiple reasons why ALL ministerial correspondance cannot and most likely should not be recorded on a data base.

...and that he was advised to delete texts to guard against hacks. Texts he should have backed up before deleting off his phone.

Simon is in a bind here.

Theres a primary school saying for all of this😅

What wicked webs we weave,when first we practice to deceive

Let the leader of the opposition ask these questions.... that's the problem... Alot of things have gone unnoticed in this current Government...

• Advertisement

If in doubt, make something up that no one has said.............

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement