Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Arguably already done with Wes Craven's New Nightmare?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,718 ✭✭✭jluv

Watched 4 episodes last night and really looking forward to the other 4 tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

Hi folks just a heads up for all those that watched the first 3 season's of "unforgotten " on netflix, season 4 starts on rte 1 at 10pm tonight.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭Ozymandius2011

"Someone has to die" (Alguien tiene que morir) on Netflix is a drama series depicting the persecution of gay men in Franco's Spain. In the series, the issue comes to the attention of Franco regime when the son of a politician is accused of homosexuality. Other themes in the series include patriarchy and the paranoia of the regime towards "Commies" and former Republicans, and how they had to keep their heads down and sometimes lie about their past in those times. Finished the series last night. Its good. Its in the Spanish language with subtitles.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Someone_Has_to_Die

Another good one is "Saints and Strangers", which is about the Pilgrim Fathers on whose story the U.S. feast of Thanksgiving is based. Its about their lives in Massachussetts and in particular their relations with the Natives.

Post edited by Ozymandius2011 on

• Registered Users Posts: 856 ✭✭✭whatawaster81

Nice one. Have it set to record. I'll wait for a few episodes to start into it. I can't watch things one a week any more.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 23,926 Mod ✭✭✭✭TICKLE_ME_ELMO

Not Netflix but I wasn't sure where else to put it, I watched the first 2 eps of Only Murders in the Building tonight and it seems pretty good. It's on Disney+ for some reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,796 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

Could post in the Disney+ thread in the television forum. 😀 Actually, I think there was a thread.

Yep found it https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058193857/only-murders-in-the-building-hulu-steve-martin-martin-short

Haven't watched it yet, but it's a Hulu series so Star on Disney+ here. Hulu got 3 episodes today but we only got 2.

I know it's Hulu but so is Nine Perfect Strangers and it's on Prime. But anyway.... I'll take myself over to the dedicated thread, thanks.

Yeah strange. Maybe shows that don't have a deal here go to Star by default? I've kinda given up trying to figure out how these streamers work.

It's getting pretty annoying, especially when they've all started acting like normal TV and dropping episodes weekly. If you wanted to be up to date with all the shows you'd need to have about 10 subscriptions these days.

• Advertisement

Yep, reminds me of this

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

The Iron Giant

Mrs Wilson: Season 1

In Time

The Internship

Shot Caller

Countdown: Inspiration4 Mission to Space

Turning Point: 9/11 and the War on Terror: Season 1

Rush Hour

Rush Hour 2

Something’s Gotta Give

Exit Wounds

Clique: Season 1 and 2

Jerry Maguire

Shameless: Season 10

Cemetery Junction

The Guns of Navarone

Brave Animated Series: Season 1

Chicago Fire: Season 1 to 4

Chicago Med: Season 1 to 4

Harold & Kumar: Escape from Guantanamo Bay

Gogglebox: Season 15

How to Be a Cowboy: Season 1

SWAT: Season 3

Old School

HQ Barbers: Season 1

LEGO Marvel Avengers: Climate Conundrum: Season 1

Battlefield Behemoths: A History of the Tank – The World Wars: Season 1

Kid-E-Cats: Season 2

Kuroko’s Basketball: Season 3

Love in a Puff

My Summer Prince

The Bang Bang Club

The Hustle (2019)

Legally Blonde

Legally Blonde 2: Red, White & Blonde

Ella Enchanted

Insidious: Chapter 3

How to Lose a Guy in 10 Days

Gone Girl

The Legend of Hercules

Homefront

Hollywood Homicide

War Dogs

Starsky & Hutch (2004)

The Truman Show

Once Upon a Time in America

Added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

I used to watch him on some UK channel 20+ years ago so yeah, I guess he was a 'thing' if you want to call him that.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭strawdog

Have started to just rotate through them. They rarely produce enough good content to stick with all the time anyway so I just do a month or 2 on one platform and unsubscribe from the others and by the time i rotate back there's a build up of decent stuff. Means not always being up to date but can binge stuff I like

Yeah, i do the same. It does mean you have to avoid spoilers and can't join in conversations as things air, but as you say, a lot of them don't have enough stuff to justify year round subscriptions. People moan a lot about Netflix and their charges but I honestly think it's the only one worth having year round.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,290 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

What's this about The Chronicles of Riddick? 🙃

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Q-Force Season 1 - A gay superspy and his scrappy LGBTQ squad fight to prove themselves to the agency that underestimated them. Today, West Hollywood... tomorrow, the world!

Afterlife of the Party - Cassie lives to party... until she dies in a freak accident. Now this social butterfly needs to right her wrongs on Earth if she wants to earn her wings

Double Jeopardy (1999) - After being framed and serving time for her husband's supposed murder, Libby decides to kill her "late" husband for good.

Added

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,015 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

You mis-spelled "Pitch Black" there. Easy mistake to make, though 😉

("You said it was clear!"

"No, I said it looked clear."

"Ok, what about now?"

<Looks>

"Looks clear")

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

I watched a trailer for that Q Force and it looks like something from the 90s, and a real cognitive dissonance. It's got every crude gay cliche running, aggressively so, but stars gay actors. Critically, it looks deeply unfunny so pass anyway.

Haha I think both films bring something to the table and I always respect any sequel that just swerves off into its own direction - a whole different genre really, going from horror into space opera. Pitch Black was a fantastic B Movie, we're overdue a new space horror.

I love how neither of us are considering "Riddick" here 😁

• Advertisement

I still need to watch Riddick. Might rewatch the first 2 beforehand. May as well see if I can watch Dark Fury as well.

Having a quick look at his films I forgot about Boiler Room and Saving Private Ryan.

I watched Scott Pilgrim. Saw it on release in the cinema. Quirky and over the top at parts though having just read the comics, it does feel a bit rushed at times.

I do like the idea of what CoR was going for, but there's enough going on in it that I can't really escape the feeling it was written as its own thing and had Riddick bolted onto it once PB became successful. (The drop in age rating didn't help, although I will always have time for the "I will kill you with my teacup" scene 😁). I do know what you mean about sequels that do their own thing, though, and I generally agree. There's nothing particularly wrong with Riddick as a sequel, but you feel like you'd rather re-watch Pitch Black instead, so...

I dimly recall watching Dark Fury once. From memory it's pretty decent, but not exactly amazing.

Re: Scott Pilgrim there's an unavoidable rushed feeling towards the end, but a rrally good fanedit called Scott Pilgrim vs The Editor is out there which re-adds all the deleted scenes, which helps a bit.

Must have a look for the deleted scenes. Other than feeling rushed it was pretty loyal to the comic

Riddick tries to what Fysh alludes to; that Chronicles Of Riddick was a separate entity with the Pitch Black world wedged in - so Riddick IMO tried to square away the plot of the former, while creating another round of the latter's cribbing from the Alien(s) template. You really get that sense of a studio pushing for that "more of the same" formula after the failure of the second failure. It wasn't a bad movie, just more than a little messy, with some especially bad acting / dialogue (not what most are looking for but it's especially bad here).

As to Scott Pilgrim, agree about the rushed ending and form what I recall, the deleted scenes do a better job of closing off Knives/Scott/Ramona's plots, right? I seem to vaguely recall it was something like

Scott letting Ramona go, reconciling with Knives rather than running off with the evidently toxic Manic Pixie Dream Girl (segue but funny how one grows. That totally used to be my bag, now I just get deeply irritated by that kind of person lol).

Something like that?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭brevity

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf was good I thought. The animation, voice acting and story was engaging and I hope there is more.

I watched the first episode of Brand New Cherry Flavour someone behind it likes David Lynch & Mulholland Drive :) It was good though. Will try to watch a few more

Funny thing about Diesel and Riddick is he had to choose which franchise he would continue between Riddick, The Fast and the Furious and XXX. He chose Riddick. Though think I mentioned that before here.

Probably because at his core, Diesel is a big 'aul nerd and wanted his own Star Wars. Even started a games company fadó fadó (which a friend of mine worked at as a Level Designer).

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Escape From Butcher Bay 2 is the Riddick sequel I want personally.

Wait, what? FILMS forum??

• Registered Users Posts: 7,651 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

This is a new series from the director of Train to Busan. The creature design is very, I dunno, "generic Western comic book baddie"?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,705 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Riddick is close to being a Pitch Black remake so put a bit of time between them especially if you've watched Kong : Skull Island recently.

Advertisement