Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your New WHS Index

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

If playing in a course not your own, how do you submit a score for handicap purposes? Do you need to sign in at the away course or can you just submit on the golf ireland app?Do you need to return the score card to your home course?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭kopkidda

Cheers, and you havent returned your card to home club? And you register your round on app before playing?

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭bamayang

I wouldn’t actually mind anyone who takes either closer to 70 strokes or 140. What would irritate me is someone at the upper end of that scale playing to a 40* handicap but following the YouTube/Instagram mannerisms. E.g. using shot scope on every shot, taking 3+ practise swings, walking over to one side of green with 60* wedge, duffing and then going back for putter…

if your not playing well, at least make an effort to keep the pace.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,784 ✭✭✭gypsy79

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Some score!!

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

• Registered Users Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭Rikand

At least he's not a bandit. no way a bandit goes and shoots a score like that in an open weekday comp. Clearly just a lad who had his day or someone coming down in handicap :)

Also, I love the way Oughterard show the breakdown in countbacks. Back 9, back6, back3. Fantastic transparency!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Handicap of 55, thought limit was 54?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,731 ✭✭✭✭Mantis Toboggan

Perhaps but 60 points is nuts. I don't think anyone should be off 55.

Free Palestine 🇵🇸

55 would be his playing handicap. His actual index would probably have been 50.5 or something

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

Some score from the +3 at 7 under

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭The Big Easy

That's the thing, with the CH and PH it's not just a max of 54, it's 60+

I was getting 21 shots off 19 whereas a PI of 9/10 was still a PH of 9/10. It's not really fair on the lower guys I think. Currently a low guy can't really win a standard stableford unless there is some adverse weather on the day or something and under 40 points has a chance.

With the current scores winning, a 7/8 has to shoot around level par to have a sniff.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,297 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

The higher guys get a chunk taken off with the 95% PH adjustment. So if you have a HI of 40 and assuming a SR of 128, you'd have a CH of 45, but a PH of 43. That was the purpose of the 95% reduction.

The chap with 60 points would have had an index of 54 based on Oughterard's slope rating of 121 off the whites. Looks like a lad with a new handicap, so he can expect to be playing his next comp off an index of around 32.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,099 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

Looking at a neighbouring clubs Captains... 53 points off 20.

I'd say the 50 points in second must have been fairly sick.

Great new system.

Our Captain's was won with a 67 nett off 14. Second and third were nett 71s. I'm sure there are similar stories around the country, but it's only the horror stories that get noticed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

mental stuff

played a medal sunday. strokeplay played to handicap. net 71.

no chance of winning though.

Net 71 would have just about qualified you for the second round of Captains in our place, you would have qualified but you were just making the numbers. The horror stories are just stories around this neck of the woods, unfortunately.

Our winner had Net 63 off 17 on day 1 and managed to get himself out to 19 for day 2. I won't even go into the horror stories of the week in between the two rounds but other clubs got involved, cards were refused to be processed etc etc.... a complete disaster and a disgrace is putting it mildly.

It's great to hear some good news stories of sensible scores, all the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,468 ✭✭✭spacecoyote

Do most clubs not make you play both captains rounds off same handicap?

Our place has had pretty normal scoring for all of the singles events really this year.

Scores in the team events over open week had a few nuts scores though with teams of high handicaps dominating them.

We had 10 players break net par in our medal this weekend with about 120 entrants. 2 net 67s being the best scores in. 41 was the winning score in the singles the day before

• Registered Users Posts: 2,109 ✭✭✭finglashoop

63off 17 and then got his handicap out to 19?

ah stop

• Advertisement

Was there a decent interval between day 1 and day 2? Hard to see how somebody could get from 17 to 19 with a nett 9 under in there. Unless they were in the early stages of getting to their 20 WHS rounds or an even better score than 63 dropped out of their record.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭CONSI

Vice captains at my course was won with a net 63 by a 34 handicapper. I'd have had to shoot gross -1 to win. These handicaps are ruining things. midweek singles and weekend singles regularly won with 45+ points...I cant get to that off 7.6... and one bad hole in a medal means I am out of it

Yes there's a week between round 1 and 2.

Some wizards played up to 8 rounds in between, i.e 2 a day in some cases.

Round 2 was off the blues so that accounted for about 1 of the 2 extra shots but still an amazing achievement all the same.

You're lucky to be in a club where this isn't happening. There are more and more golfers just giving up competitions in our place. This always went on but WHS is like throwing fuel onto the fire.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,859 ✭✭✭✭Seve OB

Amateurs. If they just played 9 holes they would be able to rack up nearly 20 rounds in the week

There were plenty of 9 holes submitted, no fear of that.

There's got to be serious questions asked of the handicap committee in that case. It's blatant handicap manipulation and should result in withdrawal of handicap.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,705 ✭✭✭dan_ep82

When I was playing the members matchplay I found it mental you could go up in handicap throughout the matches.

I started it .1 off going up a shot and inevitably I went up. I knew it was just a bad day and I was close to on form so I put the match off until I was back down to where I was. I actually finished 2 shots lower than when I started from first to last match.

The simple thing would surely be to lock the handicaps in as you sign up until the end of the tournament.

Is there support from the GUI with regard to suspending peoples handicaps for manipulation like this. LIke, what if the committee suspended his handicap, what is to stop him coming at the club with a defamation of character lawsuit. Can the GUI protect the club in this instance or would they ?

Well you'd have to observe due process and invite the member to come before the committee and explain their actions. But somebody who put in eight rounds in one week, which resulted in them gaining back the shots they'd lost would have a very hard time explaining that. I suppose if they did this every week, they might have a case, but somehow I doubt that they would.

It's only defamation if (a) it's published and (b) untrue.

There was a libel case some years ago involving handicap building. It did not go well for the plaintiff.

• Advertisement

In an unrelated matter, can anyone help me with this one ?

A member played a 9 hole qualifying round where he shot level par. The par for the front 9 in Athlone is 37 and he shot 37 gross. (5 pars, 1 eagle, 1 birdie, 1 bogey, 1 dbl)

Using the formula

9 hole score differential = (113 / 9 hole slope rating) * ( 9 hole adjusted gross - 9 hole course rating - (0.5 * PCC))

113/126 * (37 - 36.5 - 0)

0.89 * 0.5 = 0.44

What I'm trying to figure out is why does his differential appear as 5.4 on the system ? he has no manual adjustments applied to his handicap record. He has no adjustments being visibly applied by the system. This is not happening with all members. other members are playing 9 hole comps and their differential is showing correctly. It's just this members (that I know of) that is showing up incorrectly? He shot another score this evening of +1 for the same 9 holes and he has again been awarded a gross differential of 5.4.

We've emailed the GUI about it, but we normally have to wait ages before we get word back from them, I'm hoping someone here might be able to explain it :)

Advertisement