Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

General Chat Thread II

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,610 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Half the problem is that stuff we had before hasnt come back. There is no most thanked posts function, search doesnt work and thousands of old threads havent been migrated over. Mobile users in particular are finding it unusable and they are the majority of users, hence why the site is so quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Yeah. Feels very quiet.

I'm using boards a lot less, too.

I'm really missing the "my forumd" tab - bookmarks is not the same at all.

I haven't been in After Hours once since the revamp. I'd say traffic is very much down, all round.

• Registered Users Posts: 850 ✭✭✭tickingclock

Same as, finding it very hard to find my threads. Didn't post a lot but was on boards on mobile site numerous times daily. Hopefully it gets easier.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

Beetroot, homegrown....in a pickle.

(First time to pickle......hope it turns out OK 😮)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,312 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ That squid on the plate opposite looks like it’s about to do a runner……😂😂😂

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,345 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

That looks like someone are it and returned it to sender!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 3,912 Mod ✭✭✭✭Planet X

A lot of French beans still growing so tried to pickle a few.......

• Administrators Posts: 53,347 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Anyone any recommendations for good books with quick pasta recipes? I'm talking about the sort of stuff you can make in 10 mins for lunch with 3/4/5 ingredients max.

Things like spag alio e olio etc.

Preferably authentic italian stuff!

The Silver Spoon is great recipe book for all things Italian. I picked one up for a euro at a jumble sale a few years ago.

https://food52.com/blog/14067-the-greatest-hits-tips-from-the-silver-spoon-cookbook

• Advertisement

Do you have the full 1500 page version or the quick and easy version?

The Beast! 😋

I just ordered "Silver Spoon Classic" from Amazon which seems to be the cut down version that also has metric measurements. Will let you know what it's like!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

I purchased a little tub of shrimp paste recently. I have never cooked with it before.

Any ideas on how to use it?

I'm a bit put off by the lengthy recipes available online, so I was thinking of making some fried rice. I also have some catsup manis too, which I think might go well with it. Any simple ideas for someone like me who is not much used to cooking South East Asian food?

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,791 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

As soon as I hear shrimp paste I think Nasi Goreng, which literally means fried rice, so I guess I'd agree with your instincts!

I have just now learned a valuable cooking lesson... NEVER put dried chilli flakes into really hot oil. I can barely breathe from the burnt fumes :(

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Decided to try Harvest Day veg delivery. This was the veg haul for this week from the two week tester of Harvest Day. €40 got us this. (Not including the sauces, that's from Mic's Chilli).

Tried to price it as accurately as I could off SuperValu online shopping, and it came to approx €26 there. So it's a fair bit over the odds, though I will say the veg is of a noticably better quality than the supermarket stuff. Whether or not it's worth it for the extra, I don't know.

Leek, tomatoes, spinach, potatoes, peppers, kale, rainbow beets, yellow courgette, carrots, red onions (massive yokes), broccoli and cauliflower.

What I can say is it's interesting and fun (if you're into that kind of thing) planning a meal plan around the various veg you get, plus it's a decent way to shop local (or at least Irish veg as far as I can tell). They do send out a mail (as well as recipe cards in the boxes) as well, which was a nice touch. There may be other veg delivery boxes out there that are worth it.

Going to see if any of the local fruit and veg shops do delivery and maybe see there.

Oh that looks great Dave, well done. Proper locally sourced veg should last longer than the supermarket stuff too. What I do search out for particularly on that front is parsley and garlic. The good stuff is so much better than the regular. I buy via Neighbourfood, as their pick up point is just around the corner from where I live. Nice little stash of Mic's there I see :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I'd love to do something like that, i know of one place in kinsale that does that down here but my palate is very small when it comes to vegetables, gotten a lot better but still no way I'd be able to justify it

• Registered Users Posts: 7,329 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Ah yeah, the partner loves hot sauces (more than I do, if I'm honest, though I'm getting there) so I pick up a batch every now and then for her.

I've not used Neighbourfood, looking into it now, will have to check it out next online market opening time. Cheers.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

Howdy neighbour 👋. I'm the general Kinsale area too. Have you checked out Neighbourfood? It's been closed for the summer but is reopening in the next couple of weeks. It's a really handy way to order just what you want from local producers and you collect it weekly from the OHK Cafe.

We have got the veg deliveries a good few times, they are excellent. Only downside is it can be difficult to plan meals as you don't exactly know what you are getting, and we also usually end up with 1 or 2 items left over at the end that we aren't really sure what to do with.

A food-related topic: How much am I loving the new 'all soft plastic, as long as it's clean, dry and loose' can go in the recycling bin? 😊

If you can't beat it, burn it. At least it's gone then.

Thoughts?

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭sterz

Is shredded ham hock a thing over here? I looked in the usual places but the only thing I could find was shredded ham (which I presume is not quite the same).

• Registered Users Posts: 13,376 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

I've never seen it for sale as a cooked, packaged product in its own right here, but you could totally get a ham hock from the butcher and do it yourself.

You usually have to order ham hock from your butcher. Very rarely do you see it displayed. As for shredded, a few hours in the slow cooker with some cider and herbs. Yum! 😋

• Registered Users Posts: 13,135 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

I used to get one from the deli in dunnes if i ever needed one to shred myself. No clue if they still cook them or not!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,790 ✭✭✭Patsy167

When you're finally allowed to recycle soft plastics...

Umeboshi Paste

So I like sour, and I like unami, and thinking of getting this, probably Clearspring brand, which I love. So, how do you use it? Do you like it? I'm not into sushi, so thinking of just using it on greens like kale or broccoli.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,757 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Obviously, it pairs well with rice but I'd imagine it being good with fish and on fried or poached eggs, too.

You can also buy jars of salted plums in the Asian shops. They're really salty and really sour. I use them to make a sour version of plum sauce to go with duck (still, a lot of sugar in the sauce).

Advertisement