Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

General Chat Thread II

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭igCorcaigh

Hawksmoor... I'm not a big steak fan, but this does look very good. As they are a chain, this is Gary's review of the restaurant in London, Borough.

Worth a try if I make a visit to Dublin?

EDIT: This was probably the wrong thread to post in, but once I heard Hawksmoor, I recalled the name from Boards, and Googled it. It brought me here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,639 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

I’m not a big steak eater either but I’ve heard FX Buckleys is better. When you coming to the real, proper capital? 🫣

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

FX Buckley is better for steaks by a good bit, based on one visit to Hawksmoor Dublin (and two in London) and multiple visits to FXBs (various locations around town).

Here were my thoughts about the visit - and a few posts after are a few other users. Short version: Hawksmoor great for cocktails, atmosphere and sides. Merely good for the steaks (which is why I go to a steakhouse). FXB a good bit better for steaks (and also have very good cocktails and sides, though the cocktails in Hawksmoor were better).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Bought a carton of Squeez apple juice drink (think it was on offer and I assumed it was proper Apple juice)- one of the most vile things I have tasted in a like while. Don’t remember it tasting this bad. Like stale bland watery apples

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,920 ✭✭✭✭Dial Hard

Went to Hawksmoor yesterday for the Tayto & toastie special. Possibly the best sambo in Dublin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,480 ✭✭✭✭road_high

Where is Hawksmoor?

Dame St. Well, I suppose College Green. Former National Bank.

Was over in the Asia Market store over in Ballymount, been ordering from them online for a good few years now, but the store is another level. I could have spent ages there, and I'm glad I ate beforehand as my impulse control would have been on the floor.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,589 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I have had the smallest bit of kitchen progress in my renovation from hell that I've moaned about on here for, oh, two years.

A whole two of the wall cabinets are now properly, permanently installed in their final locations; and have shelves and doors. This is an 80x100 and a 40x100 so quite a lot of space.

A third 60x100 is going to be mounted Immenently, possibly tomorrow or Thursday. The rails to mount the rest of the upper cabinets is in, but I need to do surgery to all of them to handle the extractor, and it hasn't arrived yet.

I no longer need to have crockery/cutlery/implements/pantry items on two open book cases; with the third cupboard there I'll be able to dig out - replace, mostly - the advanced pantry stuff and actually make interesting curries and so on again.

To 'celebrate' I also bought the cheapest kitchen table IKEA have to put the portable induction hob on and give a bit more space to chop veg on - I'd been using the kitchen table.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 2,615 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mystery Egg

We’ve been lucky and only had our kitchen out of action for a couple of weeks max when we renovated. Even then, my anxiety levels went through the roof so I have real respect for people who put up with it for months or longer. You must be tempted to have takeaways every night.

Feel like I barely cook at all anymore so plan to correct that this weekend. At various stages I plan to make:

Short rib bourguignon

Oxtail ramen

Khachapuri

Cheese "biscuits" with sausage (American recipe so cheese scones, basically, and the sausage is basically a homemade McDonald's sausage patty)

Post edited by Dial Hard on

Busy weekend so!

Wrong thread.

Yep! Kind of wish I'd taken Tuesday off too now...

• Advertisement

Question: if I want to recreate a beef stir fry like the type you get from a Chinese takeaway, what cut of beef should I buy?

Like this:

TIA!

My short ribs 😋

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 60,517 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

Cannot wait for the follow up pics, lovely looking pieces

Didn't manage to get a good pic of the finished-finished product, but this was just before the meat was pulled.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,554 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Looks delicious

I thought they were a bit underdone in the first pic 😁

Scrap the cap!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

@Dial Hard did you put the mini pearl onions into the Bourginon? Where did ye source them from if so?

They're just the pickled ones from Tesco. Don't think I've ever seen fresh ones around.

• Administrators Posts: 54,110 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

The ones that come in a jar? Does the cooking kill the pickled taste off a bit, as I always found them to taste pretty harsh?

Yeah, from a jar. Tesco do both sharp and sweet ones, I used the sweet ones. Tbh the bourguignon was so rich it benefitted from the little tang of the onions. Not sure I'd go full short rib again - I think a mix of short rib and stewing beef would be better. It was very indulgent.

Made stock earlier. Asked my partner to keep an eye on it and let it simmer down a little.

... Yeah.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Who did the washing up? :/

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 77,034 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

To be fair, she got it squeaky clean quite easily, somehow. I should probably ask how, other than elbow grease. Maybe actual Elbow Grease, it is out on the counter...

• Advertisement

@Mystery Egg

The Cooking Club.

The wasted soul the Food forum.

I’ve had one of my ideas. Who wants to hear it? 😝

Let's revive The Cooking Club! Go for it Gloom...

Nope, fell at the first hurdle unfortunately. Back to the drawing board …..🙄

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭sammyjo90

Ah cmon you cant do that to us!!

Ok, if you insist. 😉

I was talking to a couple of asylum seekers last week who are staying in a huge direct provision centre near the centre of Dublin.

As a committed Boardsie, I asked them what they had for dinner last night. Chicken wings and mashed potatoes was all they were offered. They said the food is really bad. Cheapest everything.

The idea was to create a Boards Cooking Club where we could take those cheapest ingredients and turn them into something tasty. Dried herbs and spices are cheap as chips if you buy them in bulk. Then we’d turn up outside these provision centres with our gas BBQs and feed them. I think they’d really, really appreciate it

But when you start to plan it out, you are just met with a barrage of red tape at every turn. I hate box tickers! 🤬

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,170 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

My wife was involved in art studios in Cork city some years ago. I don't know how it started but they got to know some direct provision residents. They invited them in to use the little kitchen in the studio to prepare their own food. People were invited to share the food and donations covered the cost of food.

I think in a lot of cases, it's not decent food people miss, it's the ability to cook their own food and share it with friends.

• Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 28,820 Mod ✭✭✭✭oscarBravo

Then we’d turn up outside these provision centres with our gas BBQs and feed them. I think they’d really, really appreciate it

But when you start to plan it out, you are just met with a barrage of red tape at every turn.

Not to mention risking the wrath of right-wingers.

• Advertisement

In fairness and with respect to the intention behind the idea, I'd say the last thing people in DP want to be fed is even more cheap crap, even if cooked by people who know what they're doing. By far the biggest issue that people in DP have with the food arrangements, from my reading, is not being able to prepare, cook and share food from their own cultures, especially around special occasions, holidays etc.

It would need to, essentially, be a private party. Making it a public event, in a public space becomes problematic.

I'm working with a local councillor on this. We have a public park virtually opposite the centre. It would be perfect but I hear what you're saying.

More upper cabinets fitted in the new kitchen in the renovation from hell

I am now down to two IKEA moving boxes full of the bits I don't have space for, and a lot of them aren't particularly regular use items - my swing top bottles for bottled cocktails when having parties, my cocktail shakers, spare wooden chopping boards for serving stuff. Also a few bits of aluminium cookware, as I'm currently on induction so can't use them.

Means I've got my spice grinder, mini food processor, mandoline (although I can't find the different blades), mezzaluna, potato ricer and so on back and to hand. Now to figure out something to actually use all this with.

Poor dishwasher has done two loads a day for the past week washing everything that was in storage.

Just paid €1.75 for a packet of Tayto Salt & Vinegar in my local Centra. I remember when they were 5p. 😳

• Advertisement

Kenwood chef mixer going free if anyone wants it. 😋

Two years ago, I was buying Tayto Bistro (usually more expensive than regular Tayto) in one particular shop in West Waterford for €1.05.

Centra have always been saucy for crisps. Crisps used to have a pretty standard rrp but now the price varies wildly between shops!

Had been getting my sister, who shops in Tesco, to keep me the Tesco square spice/herb jars as she finished them - ended up with a decent pile of them.

This evenings boredom aversion tast was decanting everything I had in odd shape or bigger/awkward spice jars in to them this evening. Loads of correct lids/labels; but label printed the name to stick over the lid on stuff that I only had a "wrong" bottle for.

Now have a consistent size/shape/height to put all the jars in to easy to take out trays; put the refill bags I get from Eurasia away somewhere in the dark and avoid having to figure out by smell/colour what is in the random decade old IKEA spice jars (Ihardig mostly, also a white ceramic one with a wood and rubber lid) with lids that randomly decide not to seal. And there's a significant space saving - the square jars hold more for their footprint and getting rid of the IKEA giants has given me space for many more in the same space.

Also, the Tesco jars don't try to have sprinklers on them meaning they have a fairly sane opening that doesn't get clogged up and refuse to seal like Lidl/Aldi spice jars do.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,175 ✭✭✭Bredabe

Trying to find a chilli sauce for drizzling over grains etc, one of the types I can get off the shelf.

the sweet chilli is too sweet and sriracha doesn't sit well, peri peri is yucky, what do ppl recommend?

"Have you ever wagged your tail so hard you fell over"?-Brod Higgins.

• Advertisement
Advertisement