Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Do you have to disclose whether you’ve had vaccine?

Options
  • 20-08-2021 3:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭

I’ve had my vaccine but my teenage child has not. When she goes back to school is she obliged to tell the school whether she has had it or not. I’m asking from the point of view that my daughter’s medical history is confidential.

im not looking for a right or wrong moral code on this question, just a Yes or No will suffice.

i can feel an attack coming on here

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,720 ✭✭✭growleaves

You can't ask on a site like this and get an accurate answer because several posters here are basically campaigning, in the most nakedly partisan terms possible, for everyone to take a vaccine.

You will be told by posters here that you must.

You're better off refusing to disclose while also seeking legal advice.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,081 ✭✭✭✭Liam O

What is the school's stance on other vaccines that your daughter has taken? Without in depth knowledge on the subject I imagine you've to get MMR and the likes and they are normally done through school.

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭AustinLostin

No she shouldn't have to disclose in any official sense, and as it stands children can't be excluded from education because of vaccine status. As with anything these days, that guidance can change.

I would imagine the school has some kind of policy on vaccinations.

Are they aware of your daughters vaccine record on childhood vaccinations?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,354 ✭✭✭Damien360

They can ask all they like but you are under no obligation to answer. Legalisation exists to allow pubs ask you for your details via the QR code but there is no such instance for schools. The government is on hols for a few weeks and nothing will come in fast enough for the start of school. The school has an obligation to look after the safety of its staff and pupils but considering all kids were at school before the vaccination program and this was deemed safe, it would be hard to argue that now there is any danger.

For the record, I firmly believe in vaccination, and our family of 2+2 are all vaccinated.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

I understand from what is going on in my company (yes a company not a school, I know).

The School (Company in my case) can request the information as is their right

You can freely give that information or not as is your right.

No matter the answer or lack, it will not impact your child's attendance at school (as things stand)

From a school perspective the information could be useful in them deciding when they are happy to reduce restrictions on the school grounds. Although this will most likely be controlled by the Gov advice of the time.

Hope this is of some help.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It seems that school in September will be the same as last year, masks etc so in that context the question makes no sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,004 ✭✭✭FileNotFound

Schools like work places may be asking for information purposes, not some evil plan hatching, just wondering if they have a lot of vaccinated in classes, being as it would be safer the more vaxxed that are there.

I assume the OP expects the question to come or maybe it has. It has been asked in many work places.

Why would they be asking anything if they are operating the same hygiene regime as last year? Only 8% of the 65% of 16-17 registered are fully vaccinated and they've done about 1/4 of the 12-15s with the first dose.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It doesn't look like it will be an issue (unless there's legislation change). There might be cases where close contacts occur and those vaccinated don't have to isolate themselves, but I'd imagine it will be a voluntary disclosure (i.e. assume unvaccinated and they need to isolate unless they have a vaccination certificate saying otherwise).

I believe college campus are vaccinated only? With remote learning the option if you're not vaccinated.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 2,111 ✭✭✭Ger Roe

Listening to gov statements on the radio over the past two days - college campus will not be 'vaccinated only' and will be operating as normally as possible with physical attendance, depending on individual college physical building constraints with regard to observing public health guidelines. There may however be restricted access to canteen and bar facilities as per current hospitality sector requirements to show proof of vaccination or recent negative test. Basically, they are going to give it a go and see what happens.

Short answer to the OP ... at the moment, there are no changes planned to the operation of secondary schools - no attendance requirement to have proof of vaccination.

She should be barred from attending school until fully vaccinated. Unfortunately however, she won't be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,305 ✭✭✭nibtrix

Just on this point that the "company can request the information as is their right", that may not actually be true. There are a lot of issues regarding GDPR / data processing meaning that companies should not be holding or processing personal medical info for staff.

The Data Protection Commission even says "employees should not be asked to consent to the processing of vaccine data as this consent is not likely to be freely given." - https://www.dataprotection.ie/sites/default/files/uploads/2021-06/Processing%20COVID-19%20Vaccination%20Data%20in%20the%20context%20of%20Employment_0.pdf

• Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,063 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

What's the reasoning behind not advising the school? Is it because your child isn't vaccinated, and you don't want the school to know that?

Why would they even ask? Our fully vaccinated rate of such groups is very low and will stay that way for at least another 6 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Schools can ask, but she is not obliged to provide them with this information and they cannot prevent her from going to school unless they are prepared to make alternative arrangements for her which do not disadvantage her compared to another student.

Schools probably will start asking for the purposes of assessing overall risk and perhaps in relation to contact tracing, but schools can't refuse to educate children based on their vaccination status.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,044 ✭✭✭Hippodrome Song Owl

The issue is that those identified as close contacts do not have to restrict movements if vaccinated, whereas those who are not vaccinated will have to stay at home if deemed to be a close contact. How will that be implemented if the school is not aware of vaccine status?

I don't think they can or should ask generally. But as part of contact tracing and managing a school outbreak they would have to know vaccine status of close contacts to properly implement procedures.

• Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭jmlad2020

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,723 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Which vaccines does that apply, in your opinion?

Eg I was not able to have BCG as a child, because of how I reacted to a pre vaccination test. Should that have disqualified me from all further education?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

I don't really understand this logic. She and others who are unvaccinated who will be the ones at risk. I'd be more concerned if someone attending school wished to get vaccinated but their parents were against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

It's being a bit facetious, but no, that would not disqualify you, and it would put you in the group of people depending on others to get vaccinated for your protection via herd immunity, there's lots of children in this group and they are all getting educated but could have to isolate themselves if there was a "virus I can't get vaccinated for" outbreak if it was a higher risk for them (for example).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,101 ✭✭✭airy fairy

Do you disclose medical conditions that could be helpful to the school when asked, eg asthma, allergy to nuts etc ?

Surely you'd disclose, in the event of close contacts, if your child is or isn't vaccinated?

Although I assume everyone is assumed a close contact until they produce a cert to be allowed stay in school, so it will be fairly clear to others who is and who isn't vaccinated, without having to divulge medical information!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,424 ✭✭✭Real Donald Trump

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

God forbid the other teenagers catch something off her that in young people is usually milder than the winter flu, and that's among the minority who even realise they have it.

I, and wider society, feel sorry for people like you. 18 months in of being lied to, you would think you would develop a bit of cop on. People who don't yearn for the pre Covid world never had a life to begin with.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

At present, it's a bit like the "voluntary contribution" in schools, they can "ask", you are not (yet) legally obliged to answer. There might be an issue, if the school has indoor dining facilities.

They can also make it difficult for you and your child if they do not like your response, and then you might have the expense/hassle of going to court to "resolve" this.

Where do you see the requirement coming from seeing as we have no laws for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,542 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Six weeks ago there was no "law" about requiring vaccinations for indoor dining.

• Advertisement

And there still is no law, it's a regulation, likely temporary, based on an SI.

Advertisement