Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

The holding on to 2FM is a mystery

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

When it was first set up the Minister in charge had said it would pay for itself and that no licence fee increase would occur, by 2012 RTÉ was funding 2FM with the licence fee, they did not think to cut its funding by 25% rather it cut Children's Content, Drama and Comedy.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

2FM with a national broadcasting license, its decent market share etc. could easily be sold - and would probably fetch near €50m.

I'm basing that value on previous radio station sales in Ireland, which were well reported on in the national press (incl FM104, Today FM etc.)

Given 2FM serves absolutely no public service purpose, and it's content is readily available on several other commercial stations - both it, and RTE2 should be sold immediately (with sale proceeds seized by the Government, before Dee Forbes and her mates hand it all out on overly generous severance packages, or new contracts for their cronies).

And if anyone thinks I'm being unfair to RTE with that last comment, then just go and take a look at what happened to the €100m that they got for the sale of the 5 acres in Donnybrook, a couple of years ago.

Thanks,

G.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

The Bourne ultimatem rte2, I'm sure they've had this on many many times, kills a few hours for them I suppose

The Tupe employment legislation would be a major issue for anyone interested in buying 2fm. The same thing happened when RTE tried to sell the RTE guide, a few publishers were interested in buying it but they all ran a mile when they found out that under tupe legislation they'd have to keep all the staff on the same pay and perks.

• Advertisement

It's a consideration alright.

However, in a scenario like this, the option would be either go with the station being sold, or be made redundant.

Not everyone has to go with the sold station, some could be made redundant - say the highest paid.

TUPE doesn't cover pension schemes, so that's one cost that can be cut by a new owner (assuming RTE have a very generous pension scheme). Also, I don't think it guarantees that you'll do the same job, or at the and location.

In fairness, both RTE2 and 2FM are stations that could do well in private ownership, so there'd be a reason to keep a lot of the staff on, if you bought those stations - I would think you'd really just be focused on getting rid of the top earners.

Thanks,

G.

http://www.superannrte.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=5865:rte-briefs-staff&catid=31&Itemid=104

Under the scheme, those with more than ten years service in the organisation will be offered six weeks pay per year of service, plus statutory redundancy, capped at 104 weeks pay.

Those with less than ten years service will receive two weeks pay per year of service plus statutory redundancy.

• 6 weeks per year of service, plus statutory (for those with over 10yrs service) is incredibly generous !

Thanks,

G.

That is the previous scheme, I don't think they have announce the new scheme.

RTÉ were able to move staff to RTÉ GOLD from 2FM when it was rebranded about 4 years ago. And while RTÉ had plans to close RTÉ Gold (darn Broadcasting Act 2009) there was never an attempted to rid RTÉ of any of its former 2FM presenters, from what I can see.

If RTÉ were to sell RTÉ2 and 2fm clearly agreements with the new owner and the staff would be made.

But sure look at how long it took them to transfer ownership of the NSO to the NCH... oh wait they are still trying to do that... the Minister as said it will happen in early 2021 .... hahahahhahahahahahahha it's **** August.

For example Aidan Leonard  is Senior Producer in Charge of RTÉ GOLD ....

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

If there’s a ‘senior producer’, I’m wondering how many ‘regular’ or ‘normal’ producers he has under him????

this is I believe where the real scandal is in RTÉ, and something the secret producer alluded to a few years ago with the infamous Twitter account…… how many levels of senior management, mid-management, junior management, senior producer, mid, junior etc…… department heads, deputies etc…… are there in RTÉ??? And all mostly probably pulling salaries of circa €100k-€150k a year for doing the grand sum of fcuk all!

I’d hazard a guess there’s at least 3-5 levels of various management in each department you’d have to go down before you found anyone that actually did any work..

Anyway, enough of that serious talk……

when is the Late Late show back on? And when will Nathan Carter be on for an appearance either on his own, or for a country music type special????

the country has a Nathan Carter sized hole in its life right now, and the only thing that will solve it is a few huckle bucks here and there, and a twist it in and out and a do it all again……

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Jesus, hope they don't bring back Crystal Swing again...

I mean Nathan Carter is one thing, but God help us all if Crystal Swing return... they're like the 7th circle of hell.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,355 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

The 'Country Special' will have to wait I'm afraid, because the LLS is nothing if not predictable.

1st episode will be an Olympics Special, with all our fantastic athletes appearing. Socially distanced of course.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 15,110 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

Ah yes the Olympic special…..

featuring such quotes as “Pull like a dog”, and “inner city troubled youth”, and Tubridy talking down to an Olympic Champion….

not to mention some input from RTÉ employees who were on the Japanese Jolly about how hard it was out there to keep sanitising their hands, and staying 2m apart……

and then Bernard Dunne.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Don't forget the how did the death of your mother, father... inspire you fight on and be the best and other mind numbing references to suffering and death

In fairness, RTE played a blinder with its Olympics coverage. Peter Collins and Daragh Moloney were great and Jacqui Hurley is very capable and a lovely presenter. I thought it would be a damp squib on account of the time difference, in that we knew the result before we saw the footage. But I have to say I thought it was very well done.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,299 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

Well, provided nobody fails a drugs test between now and the show returning, it will be predictable, for sure. We 'might' have an interview with Kellie's partner (the media was curious not to interview her, unless she didnt' want to be interviewed-which is probable).

Then we'll have past Olympians, but it will more than likely decend into the usual depressing, miserable account of all the Olympians who are no longer with us. Might throw in a special mention for Jimmy Magee. (Not insulting the late Mr Magee. I think he was a great loss to TV. But RTE always find a way to work in the misery angle.)

Then bring on some miserable Irish music act, or the aforementioned Crystal Swing.

All the Studio staff played a blinder, you'd wonder why they send a team to Tokyo?

If I build a good road to nowhere and pay top dollar for said road, there is nothing to suggest that the people involved didn't do a great job, the problem lies with me for getting a road built to nowhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,494 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

"The 'Country Special' will have to wait I'm afraid, because the LLS is nothing if not predictable."

What used to make the LLS great back in the day was that it was entirely unpredictable.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

not a chance would you get 50 million for it now, the days of stations selling for crazy money are on the way out.

and realistically we don't need another private sector national station that would only offer more pop and prattle, it's not as if today fm is setting the world alight.

rte have a couple of stations on saorview and online, formerly on dab, putting one of them on the transmission network would serve everyone better then selling off a vital transmission network for more of the same that 2fm offers, because ultimately the reason people want 2fm to be sold is because it offers more of the same that is already offered.

as for RTE 2, forget about selling it, about the only interest there might be is for an operator to turn it into another transmitter for ITV, which is pointless and already catered to by virgin media anyway, and realistically that is all that would be viable here now.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

• Advertisement

I think the end of the road is talking about Virgin Media Television not its cable network.

Together RTÉ2 and 2fm could potentially get about 50m, based on the sale of Communicorp stations to Bauer earlier in the year. Individually they would be worth much less. Both still have some goodwill that would be worth something to a potential investor, but I image we will only know they appetite for broadcast services when Liberty Global get a buyer for Virgin Media.

In reality RTÉ2 is not much more than VIRGIN MEDIA FOUR.

BTW a question for those who watch and listen to RTÉ (I'd been very on and off). When was the last time you saw or heard a promotion for any of their services excluding RTÉ ONE and Sport on RTÉ2? (and what was it for)

• Registered Users Posts: 29,037 ✭✭✭✭end of the road

for clarity i am talking about virgin media television, they buy in most if not all of their programming from ITV.

ticking a box on a form does not make you of a religion.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Red Silurian

Ah I see, they buy in a lot from ITV but they do produce their own stuff as well... Gogglebox being a prime example, Irelands Got Tallent being another example, albeit not very well done at least they tried lol

• Registered Users Posts: 4,693 ✭✭✭ShamNNspace

And indeed it looks like rte have plans for the great Nathan, being courted if you don't mind, cool as ya like not a bother on them 🤔

• Registered Users Posts: 17,394 ✭✭✭✭fritzelly

Karoake competition on TV - says it all about RTE

• Registered Users Posts: 26,975 ✭✭✭✭Dempo1

You only had to listen to the awful Liveline garbage today to understand why so many question absorbant salaries at RTE and the License Fee. Its presenter earns an estimated €400k PA for a 75 minute gig, 5 days a week, it's just shocking.

I appreciate part of the fee goes beyond RTE but mother of God its output is utterly appalling, notwithstanding the fact its entire new room has been empty for over a month and "So called Contractors gone for weeks on end"

This said, Virgin Media"s home produced tabloidish rubbish is not much better.

Put simply, scrap RTE, scrap the license, allow consumers actual choice and if a digital style license for every household is required, so be it. I'm sick to the teeth of RTE, it's outrageous salaries, it's blatant Nepotism and the complete Shyte it broadcasts.

Is maith an scáthán súil charad.

Nothing happening from an American perspective or a British perspective, thankfully Northern Irish Soldiers who served in Afghanistan were available up there, you imagine that both the American and British Correspondents would be chatting with 3 or 4 of those Soldiers about how the feel as Afghanistan heads into turmoil.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

What was the carry on last night, RTE 1 having a royal love in from half nine,VM1 usually show that vomit

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,988 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Tonight they have Ant & Dec's DNA Journey, it was previously shown in November 2019 on ITV and sponsored by Ancestry.com, perhaps RTE have done their own sponsorship deal with them.

Advertisement