Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dee Forbes banging the RTE TV licence drum again 60m uncollected fee *poll not working - pl ignore*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭drserious4

'RTE faces the prospect of needing to be rescued if its acute funding issues are not addressed, according to a report by independent London-based consultants Mediatique.' Irish Independent.

I suspect when they say 'if its acute funding issues are not addressed' they mean by being handed more money by government, not by actually cutting costs such as the outrageous pay giving to its 'stars.' RTE is an entitled disgrace.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,381 ✭✭✭jmcc

Why is that gobshíte still employed? A few hot days in Summer and he thinks it is "Climate Change". There was a time when RTE reported the news and left the religious propaganda for the religious shows.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 23,641 ✭✭✭✭Elmo

I assume that Garretod is being slightly ott for effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,920 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

It's a little bit more than 'a few hot days in summer' in fairness. Look at what's happening all around the planet.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,377 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

Any other business, which is on the verge of economic collapse, would make serious cuts and cost saving measures.

But not RTE, doing that it seems isn't possible. They just wait until the taxpayers save them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭RabbleRouser2k

7.3 million paid out in the last 8 years... 😲😲😲

Bloody hell. And that's just the cases they've paid out for. Joe Brolly is suing Claire Byrne for defamation as well.

Cripes. It costs nothing to shut up.

It is a big planet with a complex climate. Ireland got a few warm days and the gobshíte apologises for not linking it to "Climate Change". Climate Change has become a cargo-cult religion for imbeciles. Science takes a backseat in all this.

Regards...jmcc

Without making this into a CLIMATE CHANGE discussion. Let take a look at RTÉ, take the news at 6 (6.1) it has been cut, as usual to 6:30, why? Surely RTÉ could if it wanted have a range of "special discussion" taking place from 26 of July to the beginning of September. These could range from Ireland place at the UN security council, Ireland and the EU, Local Government, climate change, political discussions and so on, this would cost RTÉ much.

And the BAI are backing them.

Government creates the Commission on Media while the BAI get independent research on the same. Bizarre waste of money. Meanwhile RTÉ still is in charge of the NSO.

The article quotes RTÉ as saying that of the last decade it has cut, but it didn't cut on imported programming or 2FM. Just Children's TV, News and Current Affairs, Drama, Comedy and so on.

Again, it's a bit more than a few warm days. The planet has been burning, flooding, basically imploding in recent years. The pressure on RTE and Williams has been in progress long before the 'few warm days'.

• Advertisement

The climate is a complex system. (Stuff like the Medieval Warm period, various mini-Ice Ages, the Roman Warm period and other inconvenient issues get written out of history to increase the sense of panic and fear.) RTE is pandering the to the class of imbecile that thinks that Greta Thunberg (remember her?) is some kind of expert. RTE should, among a lot of other things, stick to reporting the news.

Regards...jmcc

RTÉ dismissed its own Audience Council in to examining its reporting on Climate change about 7 years ago. I think one of the members wrote about it, following their successors move to look at the issue.

Williams fobbed everyone off successively. As I say he could have put a Climate Change special on any time after the Six One news starting from last Monday, but as usual RTÉ choose to take a holiday.

The question is how do you report the news. Do you report news of heatwaves with photos of people eating ice cream at the sea side, or do you report details of the number of people killed, the towns that had to be evacuated, the roads that cracked or melted in the heat, the worldwide pattern of events.

I think we're well past the stage of 'a special' now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭SPDUB

That seems odd they would have had such a rule since film contracts in the past allowed 3 showings in 2 years . That would imply only 11 and half months between showings

I think you don't understand, RTÉ are well past actually making programming, and they've just fobbed everyone off, who is interested in this programme. But I suppose a repeat of Reeling in the Years is better than a Climate Change "special". Jon's work is done.

RTÉ did actually report on the floods and those deaths, they also reported on American wildfires across north America.

Yeah I watch the RTE News every night, and saw all the reports.

Their crime was not 'linking it' to climate change.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

Weekend stuff seems to be on a loop, or the VM123 habit of showing it on the other channel later the same week

Where is iseegirls :) AFAIK Harry Potter films were not shown this Christmas, and only some of them the previous Christmas which were repeats of the Halloween airings, I suspect RTÉ planned to show the first 3 at Halloween and finish them at Christmas that year.

To me it seems to be fact that RTÉ will either need to be bailed out or that they will need an increase in public funding.

Now this fact does take into consideration any concerns audiences might have about content and services.

From its content output I believe existentially that RTÉ has never really existed, it has always meandered through.

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/politics/rt%C3%A9-faces-existential-financial-crisis-government-told-1.4637173

• Advertisement

La Nina this year, quite strong I believe too but this won't be mentioned in the media and is a cause of major weather related events.

Facts are this that the NOAA satellite temp data does not support climate change agenda.

Land temp data is too easy to corrupt, the hottest temp recorded was in Africa, I believe some decades ago, I must find the article again, then the WMO decided to have that record removed from the history books so now the record is in Death Valley ? haha yeah.

Met Eireann Kilkenny station was removed some years ago so if there was a record there for instance in 1980 and a record broken in Oak Park for instance, how do we know Kilkenny wouldn't have beated it ? just one of millions and millions of examples all over the world.

He who pays the piper calls the tune but the satellite doesn't lie.

During Ophelia they were trying to make out that some weather station on an island off the south coast recorded the highest gust ever recorded but neglected to mention it wasn't an official met station and only there something like 20 years.

Eamon Ryan wants to spend 2 million of tax payers money to have covid style brainwashing on all media outlets, all day every day called "climate awareness" absolute idiot of a Man! So instead of "stay safe, wash your hands, keep your distance" it will be "take the bike" turn off the heat" and don't eat meat" Muppets!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

That's because we let them away with it - need to turn the heat up on Government TDs big time, let them know that we want reform at RTE, not a licence fee hike to keep feathering their nests.

Thanks,

G.

I think RTE will get their way when it comes to this 'digital tax'.

Licence fee will be scrapped and everyone will get charged via revenue.

predetermined and should just be legislated for at this stage. But RTÉ must reform.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,191 ✭✭✭RandomViewer

They'll set up a new company called Irish Digital, your bandwidth will be reduced to a trickle if you don't pay

Except for the RTÉ Player where only Nationwide will play in full after 30 minutes of the same ad.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,536 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Article says "it has remade itself", well from the outside there is very little if any apparent change... and supporting the concept of PSB is not the same thing as supporting RTE

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

Off course toilet paper like the Irish examiner support rte, those dying newspapers have been lobbying politicians for years to get a slice of any new household media charge

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,430 ✭✭✭garrettod

It's one thing supporting the concept of quality, pumice service broadcasting - I'm in favour of it, myself.....

But its another thing backing an out of control state entity - which is the best way I can describe RTE.

We need a Government with a pair of balls, to deal with it - or A I afraid of being voted out, if they don't start tackling the mess, currently known as RTE.

We don't need two TV channels, with significant commercial programming, much of which can also be viewed on other commercial TV channels. We only need one (keeping in mind that we also have the benefit of TG4) - and we sure as hell don't need the bunch of overpaid gobshites, and their cronies, on or screens every day.

Likewise, we don't need so many radio stations - 2FM being the biggest of those that need to go. Again, take the overpaid djs (or whatever they like to call themselves) out of RTE.

The get rid of the entire management team, they need to be replaced by a new team, who don't come from Donnybrook and surrounding neighbourhoods, and give them clear instruction on what we want going forward.

Then, and only then, is there a chance that RTE might be a public service broadcaster.

Thanks,

G.

Advertisement