Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BYD Dolphin

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 642 ✭✭✭kaahooters

Dunno why you haven't got any replies, this seems really Intresting.

I can see a lot of people buying these, espically for a 2nd short hop car.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,831 ✭✭✭dloob

Those range estimates look pretty sus when compared to the battery sizes.

I see they are using the old inaccurate NEDC ratings, so maybe divide by 2 for a more realistic range.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 14,886 Mod ✭✭✭✭AndyBoBandy

€40,000 by the time it gets to Ireland......

The last Chinese vehicles I drove were an LDV van and a Great Wall Ute in New Zealand. 2 of the worst, most uncomfortable and hideous yolks I've ever been or drove. The Great Wall was brand new but felt 20 years old after a few weeks until the gearbox literally fell out of it...

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

Would these pass all the EU regulatory stuff?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 292 ✭✭pjdarcy

Yeah I'd be interested to see the Euro NCAP results for these too

• Registered Users Posts: 5,100 ✭✭✭Grueller

Roughest farmer around here has a great wall steed pick up. He has abused it to a solid height, has 380,000kms on it and it has never missed a beat.

You are not wrong though, it is a serious rough yoke to drive. I wouldn't even wish a spin in it on the mother in law.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,547 ✭✭✭celtic_oz

the first Japanese cars were rust buckets..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭drumm23

looks pretty impressive

I mean, if they have Carplay and will do 200km then they are going to meet an awful lot people's needs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,428 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If it's priced well -and crucially offered by a decent dealer net-work then away you go. .

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

Any idea if theyre being released here ? And what sort of price range ...?

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 2,193 ✭✭✭Miscreant

I don't see this being offered here at anywhere close to "~€15k before grants" as the thread title says. I would imagine it will be low to mid 20s by the time it is actually here and the range claims are all on the old NEDC cycle which tends to grossly overinflate these values (and I know WLTP is not perfect but it is closer to real world).

If there car is only being released in China in 2022, then I would guess the earliest we might see it here could be 2023.

I won't hold my breath waiting for it though.... I might lose consciousness!

@Miscreant I don't see this being offered here at anywhere close to "~€15k before grants" 

you could be right .. really hard to know if they have to make changes for europe, the Australian prices should be out soon which may help

BYD announced today the final prices of the Dolphin, which are 3,000 CNY (over $460) or about 3% lower than in pre-sales.

Four trim levels:

1. 301 km (187 miles) of NEDC range, 30.7 kWh battery, 70 kW motor
    2. 93,800 CNY ($14,500, €12,200) after subsidies
    3. 405 km (252 miles) of NEDC range, 44.9 kWh battery, 70 kW motor:
    4. 103,800 CNY ($16,045) after subsidies
    5. 405 km (252 miles) of NEDC range, 44.9 kWh battery, 70 kW motor:
    6. 108,800 CNY ($16,820) after subsidies
    7. 401 km (252 miles) of NEDC range, 44.9 kWh battery, 130 kW motor:
    8. 121,800 CNY ($18,825) after subsidies.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Interesting to see you get the extra battery capacity for just $82 per kWh. That is cheap.

Ora Cat: Elektroauto aus China im ersten Check | Review | Sitzprobe | 2021 - YouTube

Looks like good competition for the EA1.

These Chinese cars will keep the Europeans honest.

The reviewer is very tall and he fits in this car.

Projected price in Germany is 30k so just over 20k once incentives are subtracted.

Fully Charged review which I was expecting to arrive any day.

I saw a Russian or Ukrainian youtuber complaining about lack of galvanised steel but it wasn't in a language i understand so don't know more.

FullyChargedShow reviewer mentioned Ora Cat is coming to Great Britain and IRELAND.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=14XESFFx46M

• Registered Users Posts: 3,027 ✭✭✭Lantus

An amazing high quality car for the price. The Chinese are so far ahead in ev development. Reviewer noted the Id life release of 2025. Eu needs to invest massively in ev development at twice the speed if it's going to have a hope of it's car marques surviving. I would happily buy this car tomorrow. It ticks all the boxes for a small second car.

• Advertisement

There is going to be another smaller model on the same platform with the 30kWh battery called "Seagull".

It will be citycar/supermini sized with the 70KW motor.

As the Dolphin has 300KM NEDC range this car should have a slightly longer range.

It is projected to sell from 60,000 yuan in China which is about €8200.

These are the cars needed in Europe to push adoption.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Well a lot of people here might be disappointed to hear it will start in the late 20s and go into the 30s in price :(

Here is more,

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 38,421 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gumbo

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Jack lemmon

Looks pretty good for €30k. At least it’s not another crossover/suv EV

• Registered Users Posts: 64,725 ✭✭✭✭unkel

From €28k after the grant for the 61kWh version, considering the grant is dropping by €1500, that would be a €26.5k car now. That makes it the second cheapest EV for sale in Ireland, after the classy FIAT 500, but that's very small with tiny range. And this is the long range version. LiFePO4 blade battery and all.

The cheaper, shorter range version is coming out next year. Will likely be the cheapest EV for sale here

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭Stevie2001

5K cheaper than the MG4 with pretty much the same blade battery pack as the MG4 and Tesla Model 3 SR is a fantastic deal

Only negative I can see is the charge rate is very low, 88kW DC. That battery is good for over 140kW in the MG and Tesla, strange it's throttled so much

Some auto giants are absolutely screwed long term. I really can't see all the Japs, French, Koreans, Yanks and some of the Germans surviving

That BYD blade battery and BYD electric motor must be going into every EV at this stage, soon enough it will be all Chinese parts in EV's and you will just be paying for a badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,550 ✭✭✭✭AMKC
    Ms

Some auto giants are absolutely screwed long term. I really can't see all the Japs, French, Koreans, Yanks and some of the Germans surviving

Really? I disagree. I see all four French surviving and the two Koreans surviving. They have all made great strides in the last few years. The Japs yes OK might be a few casualtys there.

As for the German's Opel are going all electric now so should survive and Mercedes no doubt will but BMW might not. BMW are quite small really compared to VW or Toyota. That's the only German casualty I could possibly see.

As for the Yanks if you mean Ford yes I think they are screwed big time in danger of going the way of SAAB and MG. No one to blame but themselves.

Live long and Prosper

Peace and long life.

Who are the 4 french manufacturers ? Psa , renault _ _ ?

A lot depends on where the profit lies , if its batteries and motors then yup the legacy autos are screwed ..

If its platforms and models , combining everything then they may survive ,

but there'll be a lot of legacy manufacturing to shed too..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

I can see a lot of them merging or just going out of business altogether, will be like the semiconductor industry in the near future, Europe and US will just decide they don't want to do it -- too many resources required, and too much effort

It's too easy to make EV's, its not like making modern diesel and petrol emissions, where you really need expertise to make them reliable and being able to pass Euro 6/7 emission regulations and the cost of entry being high, the Chinese couldn't compete there but with EV's you don't need that expertise, college students could make a perfectly fine EV

• Advertisement

Yeah maybe a few will survive, but big changes are coming, even if they all move to electric, why would I buy an Opel vs a BYD that's 10k cheaper.

The Astra is like 40k+ and inferior everywhere tech wise compared to say an MG4 or BYD Dolphin.

Advertisement