Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel

123457»

Comments

• Administrators Posts: 53,125 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

That happens all the time. Yes. My exams were paid for by an employer, and they paid for study time. Over in the healthcare industry, I'm pretty sure that doctors' training is all paid for on a non-committal basis. This is a lot more commonplace than people might expect.

You should absolutely not be giving away your free time to make profits for some MNC

If you are talking about skills that are specific to a particular employer with no transferrable value then you have a point.

For more general things like masters etc you're talking nonsense. Of course there is a benefit to the individual as well as the employer. The individual doesn't cease to hold a masters degree (or whatever else) when they leave that employer. The individual can use their masters degree to command a better salary or a better job elsewhere.

The individual could even use the skills they acquire to start their own business if they so desire.

Intel paying their employees to upskill with real qualifications (not Intel-specific ones) on company time is an excellent deal for anyone taking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

denartha wrote: »

If people think wearing PPE at work is a pain, you should try Intel's double layer space suit. That you have to put on twice a day and wear for 6 hours at a time.

did everyone have to wear the spacesuits? and what happens when you need to go to the loo? do you have to strip off completely? and put it back on again?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

fryup wrote: »
    did everyone have to wear the spacesuits? and what happens when you need to go to the loo? do you have to strip off completely? and put it back on again?

Yeah. You learn to plan your toilet breaks.

Not everyone had to wear them but most in manufacturing do

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭deravarra

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Yeah. You learn to plan your toilet breaks.

Not everyone had to wear them but most in manufacturing do

Not so nice if you had a dodgy tummy. Having to walk very carefully back to the gownroom from the farthest end of the fab to degown and then find a vacant clean loo would make SAS: Who dares wins look like a walk in the park :D

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

I see they are currently recruiting. Someone I know had an interview this week for a technician role. Does anyone know what their response time is? Are they likely to hear back in a week or two? or will it be longer?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

is it a hole of a place?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

No

Why the incessant negativity if you’ve never worked there? It’s actually a very good place to work. It has its faults, like anywhere, but you’ll be very well treated and very well paid

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭mondeoman72

Any idea how long it takes them to reply to people if their interview was sucessful?

I would expect less than 2 weeks. We made the decisions on the day of the interview and passed them on to recruitment the next day.

What happened then, I don’t know. But it couldn’t take too long. How long have you been waiting? What’s the job?

they/them/theirs

It’s a place to get the head down and make as much as possible before you grow to hate it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

Some parts of it are not for "working". They might be for parking, recreation, eating, etc.

I never grew to hate it. Most of the people I worked with are still there and don’t hate it. I left because I got a better opportunity.

If they came with the right offer I might even go back.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭deravarra

I actually hated some of the people more so than the place itself.

I've actually come to love the place, and despise less of the people now that most of the jerks have either left or have been turfed out.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

They're currently looking to put a second plant in Europe, most likely not in Ireland but in another high cost country - there's supply chains needed for semiconductor plants that make it cheaper to site yourself near one (as they did themselves here siting near-ish to NEC in Ballivor who have since closed); so they'll probably go to France, Germany or Northern Italy. None cheap

This is of zero threat to the Irish ops either.

I heard France or Belgium lately.

I suspect it won’t be France. The labour relations there wouldn’t suit them at all. Belgium would be ideal for me, it’s only down the road from Eindhoven where I’m living.

they/them/theirs

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,053 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Belgiums a legit possibility too, but there is the long term instability of the country to consider!

But basically - these jobs will not go to cheap economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,176 ✭✭✭ongarite

IMEC is in Leuven which is centre of R&D and test bed for most equipment manufacturers. Would make sense to have plant near there.

Germany is most likely IMO due to having automotive FAB plants & Global Foundries in Dresden. All the supply chain and engineering talent needed is close by.

I would have thought Germany was logical too. By TSMC are supposed to be building near Dresden as well, that’s serious competition for talent.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 6,175 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Google Maps satellite data was updated recently, Fab 34 looks like a good size alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭IamMe33

Is it true there's a three second rule for looking at someone in eyes there?

Obviously if this is true it's to prevent lads starting at women.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,269 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

That rings a bell alright but 3 seconds is a long time to be gawking at someone. If you are in a conversation with someone that is a different story obviously.

It is a common sense rule that needn't have been written down anywhere. Staring at people who are passing by is not a comfortable thing to do

No. It isn’t true.

It was taught as a general guidance in a class on sexual harassment. It grew out of that like an urban myth.

Stare at something for 3 a full 3 seconds. It’s longer than you think.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement