Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Intel

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,907 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

fryup wrote: »
    well that way i could make chips of my own ;)

User name checks out.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 13,856 ✭✭✭✭Zebra3

Brian? wrote: »
    I never understood the people who worked as operators and never took any chance they were offered to get a qualification.

Some would be just knackered after their shifts end for the week.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,382 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

The whole campus in Leixlip must have a whole eco system of jobs supporting the manufacturing either directly in the place such as logicists, HR, finance to contractors such as cleaners, security, canteen let alone the local economy creches etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,510 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

mariaalice wrote: »
    The whole campus in Leixlip must have a whole echo system of jobs supporting the manufacturing either directly in the place such as logicists, HR, finance to contractors such as cleaners, security, canteen let alone the local economy creches etc.

Probably.

I vaguely recall when Dell closed the manufacturing plant in Limerick back in 2009ish, that the amount of people affected from connected services, such as contractors etc was roughly equal to the number of manufacturing staff that were laid off.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

mariaalice wrote: »
    The whole campus in Leixlip must have a whole echo system of jobs supporting the manufacturing either directly in the place such as logicists, HR, finance to contractors such as cleaners, security, canteen let alone the local economy creches etc.

There's a ton of jobs outside of Intel working directly for them from several different industries which wouldn't exist otherwise, on top of their own jobs and contractors.

A relative of mine was dating someone who was a contractor there, sounds like a lot of the jobs pay well.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭deravarra

I never understood the people who worked as operators and never took any chance they were offered to get a qualification.

Neither could I. The very same people moaning and whinging when they were told that they needed a minimum of L6 to migrate to F24 after IFO was closing.

Zebra3 wrote: »
    Some would be just knackered after their shifts end for the week.

There were opportunities for folks to take a work day off to attend college - and get paid while doing it!

No pleasing some people

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

^^^^^^^^^

as was said earlier they were probably knackered after 12hr shifts?? night classes would have been the last thing on their minds

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

^^^^^^^^^

as was said earlier they were probably knackered after 12hr shifts?? night classes would have been the last thing on their minds

The shift patterns were 7 shifts a fortnight when I was there. In ESSM it was only 6 shifts a fortnight. Tiring days alright but plenty of days off to recover and study if one wished. They paid for all of my engineering qualifications back in the day.

^^^^^^^^^

There was more than night classes provided.

Before IFO closed, folks were offered either one or two days (course dependent) at college - not during their days off, but during their work days. So, they would still have the same amount of time off, except for project work. Loads refused. And they were the loudest when moaning about not having a job when IFO ceased operations.

I did night classes. I did them over a three year period. After shift. I was absolutely shattered. But I wasn't expecting something for nothing which a lot of the longer serving "techs" wanted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,514 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

KilOit wrote: »
    Whatever the reason it's great to manufacture very valuable items in ireland. Europe needs to create more items within its borders and stop relying on Asia although the downside is things will get more expensive but automation could offset that

They get more expensive yes, but there is more money kept in the local economy.

🙈🙉🙊

^^^^^^^^^

Night classes? Is this the 1970s???

Distance learning. I did a Masters while working 12 hour shift. Loads of my mates did L7,8 and 9s while working shift. It’s actually ideal to be on shift and do distance learning. 4 days off every 2nd week.

Loads of lads could even do it during work. There were upskilling and L6 courses offered to people without them. I started with a L7 so I was safe, but I never understood people with a leaving cert and a good job turning down the chance to get a qualification that would keep them in a job.

These people were a small minority mind you. Loads of shift people went to college part time.

they/them/theirs

Distance learning. I did a Masters while working 12 hour shift. Loads of my mates did L7,8 and 9s while working shift. It’s actually ideal to be on shift and do distance learning. 4 days off every 2nd week.

Loads of lads could even do it during work. There were upskilling and L6 courses offered to people without them. I started with a L7 so I was safe, but I never understood people with a leaving cert and a good job turning down the chance to get a qualification that would keep them in a job.

These people were a small minority mind you. Loads of shift people went to college part time.

There was and will be a few who will refuse every help you try to give them and then moan afterwards.

Still happening there today!

deravarra wrote: »
    There was and will be a few who will refuse every help you try to give them and then moan afterwards.

Still happening there today!

Luckily it is only a small few. My experience in intel was great. I got to live in the US, learn a huge amount, kept my job when 100s of thousands lost theirs during the last crash and meet some really fantastic people.

I left to go to something, not to get away from intel. 99% of the people I met there were hard working and intelligent. I’d hire them today if they applied.

they/them/theirs

Luckily it is only a small few. My experience in intel was great. I got to live in the US, learn a huge amount, kept my job when 100s of thousands lost theirs during the last crash and meet some really fantastic people.

I left to go to something, not to get away from intel. 99% of the people I met there were hard working and intelligent. I’d hire them today if they applied.

Culture has changed significantly thankfully. Intel's a good employer. There are a whole load of far worse places to be working out there!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

Sounds like they reward those looking to make an effort. In my experience any employer willing to help you upskill will look after you.

It's surprising how many people don't want to have to make an effort to move up because they've been there a few years or don't want anything outside of their routine. People want their 9-5 and don't want to take on extra tasks or restructure or upskill when offered. The few who complained in my job are the ones who performed the worst and ultimately left.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 22,307 CMod ✭✭✭✭Pawwed Rig

Back in the ESSM days there was always a small cohort trying to get a union in and giving out about everything. There was a huge sense of entitlement with some of them. None of them unskilled and all jumped on the (extremely generous) redundancy payments as soon as they were offered.

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Back in the ESSM days there was always a small cohort trying to get a union in and giving out about everything. There was a huge sense of entitlement with some of them. None of them unskilled and all jumped on the (extremely generous) redundancy payments as soon as they were offered.

Good riddance!

Some lingered on for a while and stayed in SECC. When SECC was being shut down, we were offered jobs in the FAB. Some folks wanted "disturbance money"

:pac:

Good riddance!

Some lingered on for a while and stayed in SECC. When SECC was being shut down, we were offered jobs in the FAB. Some folks wanted "disturbance money"

I know a good few lads who started in ESSM that are still there going strong as well though. They've effectively had a job for life, that's absolutely nothing to complain about these days.

My only regret leaving is that I would have had the same security as them. But I'm doing alright anyway.

they/them/theirs

I know a good few lads who started in ESSM that are still there going strong as well though. They've effectively had a job for life, that's absolutely nothing to complain about these days.

My only regret leaving is that I would have had the same security as them. But I'm doing alright anyway.

When did you leave?

I've been there over 20 years and apart from a few, most were grand. Same with GL's.

• Advertisement

Good riddance!

Jaysus I forgot about Secc. I left ESSM somewhere around 2007 and moved to Fab10 then 14 then 24. Did a short stint in Secc at one stage to give a dig out.
    Had some good times and bad times at Intel. In the end it just wasn't that challenging and I got bored so ended up leaving. I was there well over 10 years

When did you leave?

I've been there over 20 years and apart from a few, most were grand. Same with GL's.

September 2018. Moved to ASML in Eindhovne, similar role to shift GL that I was doing in Intel.

they/them/theirs

Pawwed Rig wrote: »
    Jaysus I forgot about Secc. I left ESSM somewhere around 2007 and moved to Fab10 then 14 then 24. Did a short stint in Secc at one stage to give a dig out.
    Had some good times and bad times at Intel. In the end it just wasn't that challenging and I got bored so ended up leaving. I was there well over 10 years

I was in SECC just 12 weeks before they decided to shut it down. Not my fault let me add :)

Went to F14, then F24. Great place tbf. Money is very good

September 2018. Moved to ASML in Eindhovne, similar role to shift GL that I was doing in Intel.

I know someone who moved over there. Not Irish mind you. He's Italian.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

and what was your job?

did it ever occur to you as abnormal that you had to work nights and balance that against your studies (well done) to suit a massively profitable company that was making a load of cash off your learning, which profited that firm, costing it nothing?

I dunno, it kinda seems like they benefitted a lot from this scheme and you did all the work.

4 days off, every second week. Wow! Sign me up at once.

did it ever occur to you as abnormal that you had to work nights and balance that against your studies (well done) to suit a massively profitable company that was making a load of cash off your learning, which profited that firm, costing it nothing?

I dunno, it kinda seems like they benefitted a lot from this scheme and you did all the work.

Not many companies will pay for your education. Intel did that for thousands. There was no obligation for people to stay at Intel, so in many cases, Intel LOST a load of cash and employees benefitted from Intel sponsored education when they went to other companies.

Nothing abnormal with balancing work and education (if you wanted to study)

And 4 days off every second week - this wasn't explained correctly.
    One week you had 3 days off. the next week you had 4 days off. Loads of time off to spend with family and also do some study.

I didn't have to do it, I chose to do it. I could have comfortably stayed as a technician for the next 20 years. I chose to get a Masters for my own career. I didn't do it Intel, I did if for my family.

Then I left, so it seems like I'm the one who really benefitted and not Intel.

3 days off one week, 4 days off the next. Perfect time to study.

they/them/theirs

Not many companies will pay for your education. Intel did that for thousands. There was no obligation for people to stay at Intel, so in many cases, Intel LOST a load of cash and employees benefitted from Intel sponsored education when they went to other companies.

Nothing abnormal with balancing work and education (if you wanted to study)

And 4 days off every second week - this wasn't explained correctly.
    One week you had 3 days off. the next week you had 4 days off. Loads of time off to spend with family and also do some study.

I actually paid for it myself. I went on assignment to Arizona and had the money to spare. They wouldn't fund a Masters for a technician, only a L8 so I had to pay.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

and what was your job?

I was an Equipment Maintenance Technician for most of my time at Intel. Started as an operator, for about 4 months. Then the last 2 years I was a Shift Group Leader, managing 14 Technicians.

they/them/theirs

Advertisement