Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Wales is like Ireland should/could have been

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

They don't know they don't speak Irish well, after bumbling through it for the guts of 20 years in school and never speaking it again? Give the general population the tiniest bit of credit - it's not a nation of simpletons. It's not Japanese, they hear it on the radio and on television all the time.

Most people are very up front about it if they can't speak more than a few words or understand very basic sentences in Irish. People are likely just being generous to themselves in the census responses, not genuinely deluded to the point of thinking they speak Irish like a Spaniard speaks Spanish.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,684 ✭✭✭FatherTed

Ah Wales.... The Connacht of England

• Registered Users Posts: 3,442 ✭✭✭Buddy Bubs

Biggest case of grass being greener on the other side (of the sea) I've seen in a while. You were in gaeltacht equivalent of north Wales and heard Welsh being spoken. Wages are low so pints are cheap. You won't get same standard of pub as ireland though. Or standard of drink. The Welsh are and always will be very aligned to England. Anywhere near the border you will find huge amount of Welsh that think they are English and want to be English. Not a hope you'd find that in Ireland.

Like iteland, Wales has lovely countryside and scenic areas. But go into most of the towns, they are crumbling. I've been in north Wales and South Wales quite a bit, always thought it looked extremely run down. In fairness though, rural Irish towns are catching up.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,733 ✭✭✭Duckworth_Luas

I think this thread is the worst trolling in Boards history.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,936 ✭✭✭indioblack

Mao didn't want an empire, he wanted revolution and a unified China - and to be the boss. He claimed to be an anti-imperialist. The origin of British imperialism was different to Mao's political ideology. You can make a connection between the British and Ireland and Mao - it would be more useful to make the comparison between Mao and Stalin.

If Hitler got his ideas from the British - that turned out well didn't it. He seemed to have lost that subtlety you mentioned.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,711 ✭✭✭Sawduck

If Wales can escape from control of the Royal family if would be a great place to live in, its possible they could be free within the next 100 years

Could you not pick something more attractive like France or somewhere op?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

That sounds a lot like irish people, with the omission of the conviction "sure everyone loves the irish ".

• Registered Users Posts: 171 ✭✭FoFo1254122

No the Irish are on the majority quiet, harmless souls, some are loud and boisterous but the Welsh love themselves. They make corkonians look reserved.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,611 ✭✭✭Nermal

Can't see the thread title without thinking of Alan Partridge proclaiming Wings to be the band the Beatles could have been.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

That has got to be one of the most ignorant posts on boards and that is saying something. North Wales is beautiful and there was a lot of Irish emigration to North Wales, Wrexham has a sizable Irish community, Parts of north Wales are a lot poorer than Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,388 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Have you ever, in your history of posting on Boards, had anything vaguely positive to say about Ireland or Irish people?

You’ve lived in the US for years, right? Why do you continue frequenting a predominantly Irish forum when your posting history is replete with spiteful, inaccurate jabs about Irish people?

Surely you can find something more productive to do with your time..

• Registered Users Posts: 2,573 ✭✭✭Northernlily

Ireland is way more modern than Wales. My defining memory of North Wales in particular was that it was like stepping back 40 years into some kind of 1970s time warp

Although I do think the progress we made infrastructure wise is slowing down.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,487 ✭✭✭Montage of Feck

Wales is in steep decline, their industries are dead and dying, that was even before Brexit, with massive societal issues such as generational unemployment and addiction rampant even in rural areas.

🙈🙉🙊

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

I'm from North Wales, OP is right, from Caernarfon down to maybe Machynlleth the welsh language is used a LOT, The county of Gwynedd is very VERY pro wales/welsh language, bordering on flat out racism.

I used to do a mad job back home, went to visit a publican in Criccieth, he was from Manchester and bought his dream little pub, of course he checked the books before buying and it was thriving, the second he bought it custom just died, nobody went there purely because he was English.

I'm 100% Welsh but only speak very very basic Welsh, there's parts of Gwynedd/Mid Wales where people wouldnt talk to me because i can't speak Welsh with them

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

• Registered Users Posts: 12,356 ✭✭✭✭mariaalice

Ruthin is a bit different it's a well-off place. There is some chi chi, well of, fashionable bits of north Wales that have a significant amount of English living there or English who have second homes in the area I don't think they are the sort of places the OP is talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,908 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Yeah, bit of a kip to be honest, nothing seems to ever go on there and best part of it is probably the road out

Never been myself but have relatives who live there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭TonyD79

Im from Dublin and have been living just outside Cardiff for the last 5 years and would have to say the total opposite applies to number one. The train service make the Dart seem like a luxury. By an large its privately run public transport and quite pricey compared to home.There are of course things they do better but by and large the standard of living is below Ireland.

• Advertisement

I totally agree with all of OP sentiments. Welsh is pretty much omnipresent in a lot of areas of north Wales, and eg Anglesey is equivalent to a Gaeltacht area in Ireland, as is the mountainous area of Snowdonia. Throughout Wales you will hear instances of Welsh being spoken, including in the capital, Cardiff, much more so than Ireland. I find the Welsh a little more insular than Irish folk, but if you make the effort to enthuse about local culture, language etc, you will make good friends easily. Like the Scots, and indeed all Celts, they can have a quirky wry sense of humour, which can make encounters interesting. Wales is a wonderful place for a holiday with so much to see and do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭cashback

Ruthin definitely seemed one of the nicer towns i've been to in Wales. Very close to beautiful countryside too.

You hear Irish spoken pretty frequently in Gaeltacht contexts here. Where the ferry arrives in North Wales is equivalent to a Gaeltacht. Where you left from, Dublin, is the complete opposite end of the scale - a large anglophone city in the middle of an area that has been a centre of anglophone Ireland for centuries.

If you went from Cardiff to Connemara you’d have a similar experience in terms of spoken language.

Parts of Wales, especially the former mining areas in the south are very much post industrial and lacking in investment for a long time, but it has some very spectacular areas especially in the north too.

The OP’s comparison is a bit deluded, but I’m also a bit disappointed to see all the Wales bashing too. It’s very much a place that we should have a lot more sense of connection with and one that shares many parallels in cultural, linguistic and historical experiences and also managed to maintain an identity, despite no physical separation from and often very unpleasant interaction with England over the centuries.

There are lessons to be learned about how the Gaelic languages have been preserved and survive. Wales definitely has had a positive experience in recent decades with modern teaching of Welsh, and I think there has been a sharing of that experience in both directions.

Bear in mind too that the main streaming of Welsh language in schools there only dates from 1988 with it becoming a compulsory subject in 1999.

Welsh Language Medium education also has had a lot of two way discussions with the Gaelscoil and Gaelcholáiste movements here. They haven’t just co-existed in parallel without any interaction or discussion.

There’s also plenty of interaction for example between TG4, S4C and BBC Alba and between cultural organisations, academics etc etc and has been for a long time.

I think you also have to realise Irish language education has changed a lot since I suspect most of the people commenting were in school. In a lot of contexts it’s more fun, more conversational and also the Irish language medium schools have taken off in a big way in the last 20 years.

I’ve a niece in gaelscoil and her experience of Irish is TOTALLY different to mine back in the 80s and early 90s in primary school. She’s having fun with it and it’s just absorbing.

That’s as much about differences in time as place. Language learning and teaching has moved on.

Post edited by [Deleted User] on

• Registered Users Posts: 590 ✭✭✭MSVforever

As a foreigner I prefer Ireland over Wales big time. Yes, Wales is nice to visit and there is great scenery but I find their cities/towns (especially Cardiff) quite depressing.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,661 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Wales has the M4 motorway to London. Most of the rest isn't even dual carriage way.

The east of the country has been swallowed up by England and the English. It's an Bhreatain Bheag. Little Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,355 ✭✭✭Fionn1952

While I have some pleasant memories in rural parts of Wales, if I never visit Wrexham again, it'll be too soon. One of the most depressing kips I've ever been to.

I don't think Wales has much for Ireland to aspire towards, no.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

As I pointed out before on the thread, IMO the geography of Wales is a major factor in the country being much more Anglicised than, say, Scotland.

Wales shares a very long land border with England, the parts of Wales close to that border - places like Newport and Wrexham - are so Anglicised you would think you are still in England. Indeed the Welsh county of Monmouthshire was annexed by England in the 15th Century and only "returned" to Wales in 1972.

Because the central two thirds of Wales is very mountainous and sparsely populated Wales has very poor North-south connectivity and the populated South and North Welsh coasts are much closer linked into England than to each other.

But the fact that the Welsh language has seen a very successful revival since the 1960s/70s is something Ireland should study.

The area along the Scottish border with England is every bit and more pro union as the Welsh England border area in Wales

Referring to the Scottish Borders

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,560 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Yes, indeed that may be, but if you look at the geography of Scotland compared to Wales, apart from being much larger in size, the border with England is short compared to the rest of the country and the urbanized, populated Central Belt of Scotland is a good bit North of the border.

Geography definitely plays a major role in why Wales was subjugated and anglicised by England much earlier and far more thoroughly than Scotland.

• Advertisement

That is correct, Scotland ( important population areas ) are far more self sufficient, Wales relies on England nearly everywhere

Advertisement