Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin's "homeless" Roma

Options
  • 15-08-2021 10:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭

I was passing through town on Friday night and outside the GPO there was a soup kitchen going. Of those queuing up, maybe 50 people, a good 80% were Roma gypsies. They've been in this country since the late 90's but in the last 5 or so years their numbers seem to have exploded. They dominate Moore St, they used to have two dozen or so of their men headquartered at an electric box at the corner of Henry and O'Connell St, but since Bewleys went bankrupt their new HQ is right outside it, every afternoon there is upwards of 100 of them hanging around the top of North King St.

What is the deal with them exactly? Studies have shown they have an unemployment rate north of 90%. Most studies you Google claim there are 5000 of them in the country, tbh I'd be surprised if there isn't 5000 of them alone between the Mater Hospital and Gardiner St, they seem to make up a good one in five inner city residents these days. They seem to live either in old shithole houses in this area or in the rundown hostels/ hotels that the state places homeless people in. Is the state paying for their accomadation? Are these people eligible for homeless hubs, which are a fast track to social housing? EU rules state that an EU migrant must have worked for 3 years in another state before becoming eligible for welfare and housing assistance, yet to the layman's eye it would appear some of this lot are getting assistance regardless. Certainly there are plenty of them living in private rentals in the Blanch area, and given how hard it is for somebody with references to acquire a property, one can only assume a Roma family living in a private rental is living there because the council acquired and guaranteed the property/ rent/ damages on their behalf.

If any of these people are getting housing assistance it is a bigger scandal than the vulture fund bulk buys, but one that absolute spoofers like Eoin O'Broin and Rory Hearne won't touch.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,824 ✭✭✭enricoh

We need them to pay our future pensions apparently! In the short term the numerous homeless charities need them to justify their existance.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,034 ✭✭✭Jequ0n

That’s why Sarkozy was a legend …

• Registered Users Posts: 23,656 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

By “the layman’s eye”, I’m guessing you mean yours, by which it sounds you’ve already convinced yourself and you’re not actually interested in what the story might be with them at all.

Have you tried asking them yourself? That’s the only reasonable way you’d find out what their deal is, and either you’ll have your suspicions confirmed, or you’ll find out you’re way off the mark.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

There's a family of them living in a council house round the way from me. Thankfully absolutely everybody who grew up in this area currently lives in affordable rental/ purchased housing a stone's throw from their family and friends, so this is a non issue, eh.

I wouldn't give a cent to any charity assisting this lot. Any housing activist who doesn't call this out is an attention seeking waster who couldn't give a shite about the housing crisis.

A simple, near overnight policy that would release a significant amount of properties to the social and rental market- audit migrants who live in social and subsidised private rental. Any who have a less than consistent work history, get the boat. Re allocate their homes to working families at affordable rates of rent.

Not one of the housing loudmouths could give a toss.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Nigzcurran

There is a large Roma family in a house in castleknock, no idea who’s paying for it but it ain’t cheap that’s for sure

I don’t get you?

I made the point that asking them is the only reasonable way you’ll find out what their deal is, and you’re telling me there’s a family of them living round the way from you. Sure go and ask THEM then what their deal is, or start there and then go to Bewleys or wherever and whenever you see them congregating, and just ask them what their deal is.

It’s unlikely any of them are posting here, so you’re unlikely to get an answer to your question that’ll truly satisfy your curiosity and tell you what their deal is. That’s why I’m saying the only people who can tell you that is the people themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭jay1988

Go away outta that with yer sense 😂 OP just wants someone to confirm that they are indeed all spongers who's lives are being subsidised by his hard earned tax money.

Studies show a 90% plus unemployment rate. So, yes, that would appear to be the general consensus.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,281 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Out of curiosity I suppose, I have tried to engage some of them in conversation over the last 5 years and the main reaction I got was them waving me away speaking in a foreign language, walking away without delay.

and once or twice I got choice bad language via English, which I won’t repeat.

To boot, the only real bad encounter I had was with a Roma woman flogging the “big issue” near easons on o Connell st. She seemed mentally unstable and tried to hit me.

• Advertisement

That's the problem when using Gript for facts. The study was of 30 households in north county Dublin in 2015.

Is it any different now, I would guess that as another poster said you would have to ask them yourself or find a study done since 2015.

Tbh I figured the OP was genuinely curious about what their deal is, but having read their subsequent posts, it appears they started this thread only to have yet another pop at “d’immigrants” 🙄

There’s never enough threads for some of people, they want to be special and start their own thread rather than contribute to the many, many threads that make what turns out to be the same point as every other thread already.

Anyways, in this instance it’s a good thing the new site doesn’t auto-subscribe to threads, and chances are I’ll never see this thread again unless I specifically go looking for it 😂

• Registered Users Posts: 2,754 ✭✭✭downtheroad

One of them caused me to crash my bike last week, about 200 quid worth of damage and I had to get medically checked out. I told her that she has to pay for the bike repairs and her response was "I'm homeless, I have no job, what do you want me to do". Tried calling the Gardai but they had no interest. She then told me she is in accommodation somewhere in Clontarf. I noticed her kids wearing Nike shoes. So there is money there.

I can't fathom why this is allowed to happen. No contribution is made to society whatsoever by this person, but accommodation and a weekly allowance is given to her. What does the country get for this investment, a pat on the back from Brussels?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Roma used to come to Ireland and claim asylum back in the day. When the EU expanded in the early 2000's, only Ireland (and maybe the UK) immediately opened up to unrestricted access.

A load of them arrived in and got a shock that, as they were now EU citizens, previously available benefits or routes to benefits were no longer available. (You cannot claim asylum within the EU if you are already an EU citizen). So they ended up on the M50 roundabout for a few weeks. I think they were given transport back home.

If my memory serves me correctly, around the late 2000's there was an epidemic of Roma children begging around Dublin city centre. There were some policies put in plate to try to control this. One, which was not 100% a response to this issue, but it did provide a strong impetus, was making certain benefits dependent on children being in school.

One of them was murdered after being picked up on the street by a well known Dublin psycho from a family of psychos. Many of them have a terrible life and they have little to no prospects. But there isn't really much you can do for them. There are gangs who fly them in, get them to do their dirty work until they are caught and then fly them back out.

And before anyone **** themselves, obviously not all 100% of every single Roma is doing X or Y or Z

Free movement of people within the EU should not mean free movement of gypsies.

I'd deport every last one back to their home countries. It's their responsibility, not ours.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,032 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

You should have been keeping your eyes on the road instead of trying to check out her arse as you were passing. Then you wouldn't have crashed!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,405 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

They are Romanian citizens and have the right to travel around the EU, The same as Irish travellers.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,024 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

As a nation Ireland is too generous

If you have 90% unemployment rate, that's not acceptable.

You should not be allowed to move to another country to remain unemployed.

If they have lived here and demonstrated no attempt to work or to improve their lives, they should be deported.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭mikethecop

know any roma who are working and paying towards the tax pot ?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

Are they still doing the 'tissues on the seat' begging on the DART? That **** was a pain in the hole.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

I find most here are Bulgarian and Slovakian, a lot of Romanian too.

I don't know any Roma personally so i can't really answer that, do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,131 ✭✭✭mikethecop

Is begging classed as working? If so, many may be paying their taxes on their begging earnings.

What's unsurprising? that I don't know any Roma? I wouldn't have thought so tbh, nice way to dodge the question with a throwaway comment though, I'll make the assumption you don't know any either so. I'd also like to see where this 90% figure comes from too.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

I spend a lot of time in Dublin city centre and there has certainly been an extraordinary jump in numbers.

The gathering in Moore St started during lockdown when there was very few places open and very few people about.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Romanian, Bulgarian, Hungarian, Slovakian mainly. They get short shrift at home so the likes of Ireland is an attractive proposition, generous social supports and soft law enforcement.

• Advertisement

Basically they see Ireland as a soft touch. Another perk of EU membership.

Advertisement