Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's "homeless" Roma

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,363 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Show me how to fast track someone up the housing list ?

Large amounts of Roma are living in family hubs , a small number , single males access homeless hostels . To access either , you need to be registered as homeless.

More groupings of Roma are placed in an emergency accommodation called PEA (private emergency accommodation).

Another group are or were being housed in rented accommodation , I think funded by the HSE .

The state tends not to want children whatever their nationality living rough so finds whatever accommodation it can for them , as you are aware most Roma are part of a family unit with children.

How bout telling me how to fast track someone out of homelessness , Ive case managed quite a few homeless over the years so if you know something I don't, let me know ?

I'll explain again , a PEA is private emergency accommodation , it means your local authority can't house you and so places you in accommodation because you are homeless , the accommodation is similar to what you see in the Gardiner Street area of the city , you're still homeless.

A family hub is for , ya know , homeless families , you're going to have a keyworker, project worker , housing officer cause you're still homeless , you must be actively looking for HAP accommodation .

A homeless hostel , self explanatory.

The fourth example , I think may be gone , where the HSE are involved is because of children being vulnerable , at risk.

Please let me know how to fast track someone up the housing list ? As none of these fast track you .

Housing needs are classed in a , variety of ways from with or without priority , medical need , senior citz and so on .

• Registered Users Posts: 9,537 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

That's very interesting, what organisation is this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Wasn't there some single man, living in a luxury council apartment, who had moved here from Canada (may have been a different country) who was whinging in the newspapers that he wasn't allowed use the on site gym because he was in a council rented apartment. He was definitely fast tracked. I don't know how he did it, but he did.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

This whole thing reminds me of the line from Al Pacino in Scarface where he's summing up America to his friend

" this country is one big p***y waiting to get Fcuked "

Ireland is the very same when it comes to welfare scammers with no intention of contributing

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

He's talking about Ireland's utterly enormous charity/ NGO/ Quango sector.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Your post just described how.

You blatantly state that the government rushes to put Roma families with children into housing to avoid the embarassment of seeing children literally sleeping on the streets.

"large amounts in family hubs" aren't family hubs by definition a place people are put while a fast track housing solution is looked for?

The Roma are effectively blackmailing the state into giving them somewhere to live.

The fact an EU citizen can show up with no links to the state and no intent to work, and say put me and my kids in some sort of accommodation, be it a hostel or a hub or, as you yourself say happens, a HSE paid for private rental, put us in one of the above or we will pitch a tent in O'Connell St in the middle of December, kids and all.

I work 50 hours a week trying to get a mortgage deposit together, to pay for this shyt?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Roma travel all over the world they go wherever they can make money just because someone go's to a soup kitchen does not mean they are homeless

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

There has been numerous cases here of people being moved to the top of the housing list many were publised in the media

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

I'm surprised that is all they have - either way, the size of a decent-sized multinational office here.

Under EU regulations, we have no obligation to those who arrive here and do not work - just as the UK didn't have and which was a big part in the Brexit vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,341 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

Why are they entitled to anything at all is the question?

They have come here, have never worked and yet are been given houses and flats, free healthcare and welfare payments.

And some people say this country isn't a soft touch when it comes to playing the system.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

the messed up thing is your very ( sensible ) question today will incur the wrath of the right on brigade who denounce any suggestion that anyone from abroad is here under questionable circumstances

it takes a coordinated well funded campaign to make perfectly sensible views classed as wrong or dangerous

And where are the public voices on it?

Eoin O'Broin and Rory Hearne are all on it when a vulture fund buys up an estate to rent at 2200 per month each.

Where are they when a young couple in Blanch are paying 1800 per month for a three bed and Vasile and Cristina next door are living in an identical house for free or next to free? The young couple got the house after 50 applications and provided references, their neighbours never met their landlord because they have nothing to do with him, the HSE or the council rented the house and have guaranteed the monthly payments and any damages.

O'Broin and Hearne are attention seeking frauds. Either tackle all housing inequality issues or tackle none of them. A vulture fund is no more or less stealing housing opportunities from Irish workers than an unemployed Roma family are.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,847 ✭✭✭Jizique

The homeless charity sector reared up on Keegan: the shelters are not safe, he doesn’t understand the problem, he’s only trying to distract from his own failed policies. Eoin Ó Broin, Sinn Fein’s housing spokesman, called on Keegan to withdraw his comments: in other words, to unsay what he said, to unthink what he thinks, to unbelieve what he genuinely believes, not because it is incorrect but because it is “unacceptable”.

One refrain we hear is "the look after our own crowd don't care about our own either".

I'd somewhat admit to that. I know a lad who lives in emergency accommodation, or he did the other week when my cousin ran into him, and tbh that is too good for him. He's barely worked a day in his life, he's been ran out of every house share he ever lived in because he is weed dependent to the extent he can't pay the piddling HAP contribution he is expected to pay. Frankly anybody as lazy as him doesn't deserve a free tent off the taxpayer, never mind a hostel bed.

Affordable purchase/ social housing hierarchy of allocation should go, in order

• people with genuine disability/ families who require an adapted home for a child with issues
    • working Irish born citizens
    • working people raised in Ireland
    • after this, Irish unemployable types. They have to live somewhere after all

Have you experience of hostels ?

Do you know there's different types?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,678 ✭✭✭Selik

Homeless Hub near us(D6-ish) and missus helped organise an Xmas gift selection for the hub residents, a somewhat recent tradition and fair play nice gesture etc.... anyway turns out 85% of the hub are Roma and we are talking about a capacity of 100 with PP for another 150 I believe.I

t came to light because there was a cultural sensitivity in terms of what presents would work etc - so it had to be spelled out the residents association etc. Crazy situation when you think about it and they are big into their BIG families with lots of babies constantly on the way.... the **** will hit the fan in the next decade no doubt about it.

Nothing against them personally and they seem to cause very little trouble locally compared to the Irish contingent before them (although littering still an issue), but it's just absolutely bizarre that this is happening in some ways, EU residents or not.

NB Above posted on another thread about a month ago but might be of interest to some.

Advertisement