Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dublin's "homeless" Roma

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,309 ✭✭✭whomitconcerns

If we could deport the Irish layabouts also I'd agree.. Don't see why they should get preferential treatment just because they were born here...

If your not willing to work and contribute (assuming you are physically able) then you should be sent of to some magic Island to fend for yourself regardless of where your born. And if you are willing to contribute, then you should be allowed to contribute in any country you want.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

If they can't supoprt themselves in Ireland, we can send them home under EU law. But the bestest boys in Europe would never do that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,148 ✭✭✭mikethecop

i dont believe you bust sure its the internet what can you do,

my point is that Roma gypsys almost exclusively do not work and support themselves through welfare subsistence and crime. the majority via shoplifting expensive products like electronics and booze and money change scams usually in small shops using a sort of swarm tactic. some are involved in Europe wide robbery's from high end jewelry shops. I am aware of small groups of usually men but sometime using children who come to Ireland for a few weeks at a time to steal as much as possible 4 or 5 shops a day , when they get caught a few times and take a few charges they leg it while on bail only to show up in another EU country or return to Ireland with new set of ID papers . Few are actually homeless and most live together in large groups and travel widely around Ireland to commit crimes . he point is they add nothing what so ever to Ireland, they are no economic migrants as there in no intention to contribute to Ireland in anyway just to take what they can and send it back to the clan at home.

this a pattern specific to roma observed over many years and many interactions

thats my point southy

• Registered Users Posts: 6,456 ✭✭✭SouthWesterly

I know it happens but you can't generalise.

The families I know all work, all support themselves and aren't even Romanian.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

But it's not generalisation it's common fact that the absolute majority of Romas do not work nor will they ever , most are involved in criminality ,

There was a case in the media which a woman was charged with stealing and other stuff ,and at the same time she was facing charges in multiple other states,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

Wasn't one abducted and murdered by a group of Irish lads? Marioara Rostas. Place was burned after her killing, so nobody knows what they did to her before shooting her.

It may be the majority but my experience says its not all. That's all I'm saying. Branding them all is nothing but a generalisation and no different to saying everyone in Jobstown is a drug dealer (though that may be true) 😁

ya its not a generalization its more a of statistic really closing in on a fact

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭John_Rambo

I'm guessing this is the biggest crime involving a Roma in Ireland?

It's no different to saying all irish are drunks.

Better to say "some".

• Advertisement

But some is the absolute majority , whats the point in splitting hairs and trying to be pc

I'm not the one arguing the toss. I mentioned my experience and that was all.

My experience seems to be an issue for some people to argue with.

But your experience seems to be quite isolated ,I know several Romanian families living and working here the last 25 + years ,hard working and honest people ,

Roma gypsies and the gangs they operate within are the total opposite , and it's the same across the whole of Europe

• Registered Users Posts: 1,105 ✭✭✭katiek102010

Roma Gypsies are not Romanian people.

The Roma people are not even from the country romania

My experience might be isolated but it's my experience..

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

There is a Roma gypsy woman usually begging around Shop street. She must have been here well over ten years.

Other roma beggars come and go but she remains.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,866 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

I refuse to get worked up about the blatant way SOME/MANY Roma, and many other immigrants operate here. Anyone with half a brain knows they are of little added value to our country as immigrants if they don't contribute but take everything given to them. Government policy seems to be to let everyone in, don't police the immigration rules either for EU or non EU arrivals. The late Peter Sutherland was a huge proponent of building our population by immigration from anywhere. And now his protegee Simon Coveney is Minister for Foreign Affairs. No surprises there.

The pro immigrant brigade have muzzled any comment on anyone who is not born here arriving and living off our largesse. Criminality is the preserve of the Gardai and DPP, but policing immigration appears to be non existent because of the R word. It is all sewn up now, that's why I cannot allow myself to get too exercised about it. Housing crisis my ass, SF and all the other big mouths never mention the amount of housing allocated to all and sundry from far away do they? Or the own door policy for asylum seekers after four months whether their claim is valid or not. Since we have no troop involvement in Afghanistan, wait and see what Coveney will promise to the UN re Afghani refugees. You heard it here first, and of course little old Ireland has to be first up and best in the class.

Sounds to me now that FF are trying to be more SF than SF! Good luck with things changing if the current Triumvirate are booted out in the next election. We are truly cornered.

not even close to what i said .

if you want a comparison statistically Irish people have a problem with drink but the stats show that roma people are much much more likely to be unemployable criminals , that is more accurate

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Oh ok, doubt many of the Turkish ones make it to Moore St however!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

Whether you like em or not any person in the EU can travel to any other EU European country unless they are on bail or have serious criminal charges against em,

I doubt that interpol will bother chasing roma around Europe eg someone who is caught shoplifting when they have to deal with serous crimes like drug dealing , terrorism etc there is no support in Ireland for leaving the EU you can look at any country x per cent of people are criminals,

A large percentage of ransomware attacks are carried out by Russian hackers and no action is taken as long as they only attack non Russian companys

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,131 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

And they all seem to have a very latest version iPhone too around Mountjoy Square.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,449 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was talking to a Romanian guy a while back who was full of warnings about Roma. I got the distinct impression they are disliked even more in Romania than here. He also mentioned that people automatically think of Romanians when talking about Roma which annoys them.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,153 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I don't have any figures to enable me determine that. Perhaps you do 😁

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭Jackben75

why is that? they travel everywhere from everywhere, i think there are about 2 million in the US with Roma ancestry, just for example

What's your actual point we're ,you shared an experience no one has said anything about it , but you well know the majority of Romas do not intergrate and are heavily involved in criminality across the whole of Europe ,

Your doing nothing but split hairs for the sake of it,

You story is one of the only postitve experiences I've ever read on here in 10+ years

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Kaybaykwah

You would need to finish you sentence to have it make sense. All Irish are inebriated with life. There.

They lust for life, which turns them into lushes for life the poor sods.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,437 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

There's quite a few of them living in the North Circular Road between the Mater Hospital and Dorset Street. The 3 storey Georgian building they're living in looks like a crumbling tenement from the late 19th century. I'd love to know who owns these tenement buildings and who's paying them to house the Roma's in there.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭joeysoap

The Roma got one of the best houses in dundalk ( courtesy of our friends ijn the HSE) known as million dollar hotel such is the turnover.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,356 ✭✭✭corner of hells

Give us a bit of evidence that there's a way of fast tracking along the housing list ?

I work in homeless services and have lots of individuals I'd like fast tracked out of homelessness .

Advertisement