Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Wales is like Ireland should/could have been

• 10-08-2021 12:47pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

Just returned from a trip to Wales in the UK. Lovely place. Took the ferry over to Holyhead. Some things I noticed about Wales:

1. All the public amenities seem to be loads better than in Ireland. For example I could easily reach quite remote rural areas with a regularly scheduled bus service. In Ireland youd be lucky to have a bus eireann once a day in the most remote regions. I only had to take a Taxi once, and that was because I was negligent and late for the last bus to town. No big deal. As someone who doesn't drive, public transportation in much of Rural Ireland is virtually unusable.
    2. All the people in the region I went to (around Caernarfon) spoke the indigenous language. All of them. In the pub, the language was Welsh. In the streets the language was welsh. The young children , the teens and the elderly all spoke Welsh with each other. You'd be hard pressed to find a similar situation with Irish; only in the remotest corners such as Inishmore Island or Donegal would you hear so much Irish and even then you will often hear them speak English to each other. The Welsh language was so pervasive that people often even addressed me in Welsh, not knowing that I was a foreigner who doesn't speak it. Never has anybody addressed me in Irish in Ireland. Never ever.
    3. A pint is only 2 pounds sterling. Where in ireland can you get a pint in the pub for (calculated) 2,30 euros? Nowhere.
    4. Scenery and sights were lovely, but Ireland also has lovely scenery to be fair.
    5. I'd say that despite all this Irish rural people are slightly nicer to strangers than Welsh people. But that's just a small sacrifice for the better points 1 to 3.

So what do you think is better, Wales or Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 925 ✭✭✭JPup

On the language thing, the English were much harsher on the Irish and Scots than the Welsh from about 1500 onwards because the Welsh had more or less stopped rebelling by then.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭Sy Kick

Ireland invaded Wales about 1600 years ago. Luckily it had no lasting influence on them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 803 ✭✭✭machaseh

I have the idea that the Welsh just accepted English rule, provided that they could maintain their own language and culture.

The Irish tried to fight English rule, but it was a useless battle, as there are simply more English than there are Irish. So how could they have ever beaten the English without a strong ally? Impossible. That's why the Irish mostly lost their language .

My own country, the Netherlands, succesfully fought off the British invaders so that is why we weren't colonized by them. But we are with many more people than the Irish are. Read this failed invasion attempt for example. The Brits all succumbed to a malaria epidemic, and then we slaughtered the rest of them with ease.

Walcheren Campaign - Wikipedia

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

Nothing in the UK is worth aiming for. I wonder how long it will take before Ireland will finally realise this. 100 years and counting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

Given how much Wales will lose from the EU due to Brexit (subsidies from the EU were around 680 million sterling per year, UK government replacing them with 375million/year if that much: https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-wales-54374532 ) I'd say voting for Brexit like the Welsh did, will have a huge deleterious affect on the things you've highlighted from 1-3. It might be nice now, and they've clearly done a much better job with the indigenous language, which the Welsh fought hard for.

• Advertisement

I wonder how much negative impact Brexit will have 5 - 10 years down the line.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,823 ✭✭✭✭Igotadose

A lot and all of it negative. So I guess visit Wales now and enjoy it. It's a shame really that Ireland can't do the same quality job of teaching the language that Wales did. I attribute that, to the education system in the UK being that much better than the one in Ireland. As many years as students are required to study Irish in school, you'd think the language would be better accepted with better penetration into daily life, but it isn't.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭bigar

You seem to ignore that at the time of the Campaign Walcheren and the rest of the Kingdom of Holland was controlled by Napoleonic France. The English were trying to fight them, not "The Netherlands", which did not exist yet. In a way, you are proud about the fact that your country was not liberated at the time. Luckily they succeeded 4 years later after Napoleon's defeat at Waterloo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,995 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

I think you are exaggerating (2) quite a bit.

I have been in Wales a couple of times and never heard Welsh being spoken, yet you heard everyone speaking it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,943 ✭✭✭indioblack

An interesting piece of history - yet your link makes no mention of attempted colonisation. Just another one of those barmy European wars. Britain did participate in another invasion of the Netherlands - in 1944.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,817 ✭✭✭✭28064212

There's so many things wrong with that post, it's hard to know where to start, but the most glaring one is that Ireland had a far higher population than the Netherlands in 1809. The UK's "failure" to colonise The Netherlands (not that they ever seriously attempted it) had nothing to do with population, and everything to do with geography and political realities

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

Depends on where in Wales you are. In Cardiff, it's not really spoken. But go to Caernarfon and everybody speaks it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,547 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Pints are quite a bit more than £2 in Caernarfon.

Wales is broke and completely reliant on subsidies (which are going down) and the Barnett Formula.

I am having trouble finding sources on the population of the Netherlands and that of Ireland in the 19th century.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭iffandonlyif

Lol, ‘Nothing’! Nationalist dogma at its most laughable.

No. I was there last week and I paid 2 pound sterling for a pint there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,105 ✭✭✭✭listermint

OP was in a westherspoons and thought it wa great and saw the odd few Welsh speakers around the town and was amazed ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I spent a lot of time in Wales when I was younger. I haven't been back much in 20 years but if it's anything like I remember then no, I do not envy the Welsh in the slightest. I'd like to see the north, I was supposed to go last year until that inevitably got cancelled, but the towns in the valleys of the south are like the worst of the midlands here on steroids.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Lol. England’s little bitch that no one in the Home Nations and Ireland take seriously

whinging about price of booze in a pub ? Their pubs are crap, one should be paid to attend their bars. Pubs are for commoners by the way.

Why would bus eireann run at a loss in order to serve towns where there are more sheep than people ? If private coaches don’t see it worth while , why should the State ? Few towns and villages outside of Kerry are too far away from a motorway or good regional road

Nah the pints in the wetherspoons went as low as 1,50 quid.

The cheapest in a normal pub was 2 quid.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,661 ✭✭✭quokula

double post

Because there are people who don't drive due to medical reasons perhaps? I am one of them. And I am sure many elderly live in rural Irish towns, who can no longer drive.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

Being part of the 6th largest ecomomies in the world helps with infrastructure and resources. Not really comparing like for like judging Ireland (34th largest by GDP) with any part of UK. An auld genocide also didn't help with our language.

-Funk

In the Wetherspoons by any chance? There is one and its easily the nastiest pub in the town.

That'd be dearer than the cheapest pints in the one here (€1.95). The normal bars were all over £3 when I was last there and pubs are not in the habit of getting cheaper. Its a tourist trap, it has no need to be cheap.

Well I was in north wales. I do not know anything about South wales. So maybe that region is indeed shite. No idea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,916 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

I like Wales but Isn't it the size of Leinster or something? It's geographically smaller and thus easier to manage might explain?

Yes it's very small, about the size of my country the Netherlands.

edit: Wow I didnt know this at all but apparently it s about half the size?!!

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

Pretty sure, the elderly can and do find neighbours and family members to give them a lift if that stuck , or are they too mean to spend the money on petrol (the car owner that is )

It be rare for most parts of Ireland where they have to go beyond 32 km to find a doctor or clinic . Most rural towns have a doctor knocking around the region .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,159 ✭✭✭Royale with Cheese

I've heard the north is nice alright, but sounds like you went to some nice touristy areas. The majority of the population lives in the south, the welsh language is far less pervasive down there too. There are no proper cities in the north and the only one in the entire country really is Cardiff which at 400k people isn't huge, quite a lot of graduates looking for the kind of professional jobs you only get in bigger cities end up in Manchester or London.

I looked into driving to Caernarfon from Cardiff last year too and the roughly 275km trip takes over 4 hours as there is no motorway linking the south and the north.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭SteM

Indeed. We have spent quite a bit of time in south west Wales over the last few summers visiting my wife's extended family and heard Polish being spoken more then Welsh. Must depend on the area you're visiting.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭WrenBoy

Ireland.

I believe northern wales is the most Welsh speaking area, and I believe that the big cities like Cardiff have virtually zero Welsh speakers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

They are better at Rugby in Wales as well...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,478 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

The amount of natural forest compared to here you see from trains passing through makes me sad, same in England though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭dotsman

I can imagine courtesy of English subsidies, that they would have better public services.

With regards the language, I would consider it a bad thing if we didn't speak English. But anyway, just for the record, only 20-30% of welsh people can speak some welsh (different sources), 16% claim to speak it daily, ~14% can speak, read and write welsh and I don't know what small percentage use it as their primary language. Also, those figures are heavily skewed towards primary school children.

According to wales online, the average price of a pint in wales is £3.60, which is about €4.30, so not that much cheaper.

Looking past at the last few decades, Ireland is on a much better trajectory than Wales. On that basis, I would turn it around and say that Wales could/should follow Ireland's lead.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

The big difference is that the number of people in Wales who claim to be able to speak Welsh (30%) is considerably less than the number of Irish people who claim to be able to speak Irish (50%), but many of those Welsh speakers have Welsh as their native language and use it on a daily basis.

It makes logical sense that using a language on a regular basis is one of the key ways of driving adoption.

The typical response here is that "It's the way Irish is taught!", and while this is true, it's probably a bit too simplistic. My experience of learning Irish is that you go from learning the basics of the language in Junior Primary, to basic reading comprehension in Senior Primary, then into actual reading comprehension in secondary school. All with very little practical use of the language.

Every successful language course in the world concentrates on practical usage of the language before getting into the complexities, the spelling, tenses, verbs etc. We try to teach Irish in the same way that we teach English, but that doesn't work because practically none of us enter school with a single word of Irish. In order to drive retention of the language it needs to be in active use. This is why we all remember snippets of the Irish phrases that were used every day in school ("An bhfuil cead agam dul go dti an leithreas mas e do thoil e"), and not a whole lot else.

Examination is also a mess. Remember the Aurals? A mixture of accents from all over Ireland. Imagine a non-English speaker doing an English Aural exam with accents from Kerry, Bangladesh, Yorkshire and Derry. A native English speaker would struggle with that. It's batshit crazy when you think about it.

How we make this better, I don't really know. But I know driving wider use of the language seems like a no-brainer. Perhaps all the way through school conversational Irish should be at the centre. At the beginning of primary school it's a topic of its own, but over time it gets expanded so that a certain percentage of the day is taught in Irish, and by the time you get to secondary school, at least 2 hours of the day are taught in Irish.

We know that languages are learned better when they're learned earlier, perhaps it should be in at the deep end and from junior infants your day is entirely bilingual, so within 3-4 years it is completely and utterly natural and normal. There would be no stigma with the kids then. They wouldn't see talking to each other in Irish to be stupid, something that only losers do.

You could trial this in schools in various small towns (< 5k people) around the country, along with reliefs/grants for businesses that make an effort to operate as Gaeilge, public events conducted entirely in Irish, open education for adults to polish up and encourage them to use the language daily, etc etc.

I'm using duolingo at the moment to bring my Irish back up as the kids are learning it in school, and while I'm finding it immensely helpful, the lack of opportunities to actually use it day-to-day is really glaring.

Imagine being a subject and having a queen in 2021 lol.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,268 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

I take it you didn't go anywhere near Rhyl, OP?

The father-in-law used to work for Irish Ferries and got us a free trip over so we made a cheap holiday of it with the kids about 10 years ago. The deprivation was palpable. Honestly felt like being on-set for the Welsh re-make of Shameless.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,067 ✭✭✭Notmything

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,211 ✭✭✭✭Suckit

Regarding the Public Amenities, Wales is about a fifth the size of Ireland (and not the whole island of Ireland).

• Advertisement

We have a king, not a queen. And support for the Monarchy is, I believe, around 75% or so.

If we want to get rid of them, we can do so before they have the opportunity to say their full name including all titles out loud.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,161 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

An interesting thing about Wales is that it is probably the most atheist region in Britain or Ireland. There is no Church of England there and they have no actual official religion.

It's a bit puzzling that they are so integrated with England, given that they are a Celtic nation and have their own language. That may change in future though : if Scotland and NI were to leave the union, they could well be tempted to leave themselves.

So what ? Wales is the subject of the thread, still funny having a monarch rule you in this day and age.

Oh sorry about that, you're right yeah.

Still, I don't see the difference between a ceremonial president like mickey d, and a ceremonial queen. Neither do shayte in the grand scheme of things.

A small independence movement, Plaid Cymru, does exist there. But it's only very recently since brexit that they are gaining any sort of meaningful traction.

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Fritzbox

There is no official religion in Ireland either, nor does the Church of England have much of a profile as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,515 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

I'll wager most of that 50% are either schoolchildren or adults with an inflated opinion of their own ability. Being able to parrot a few random words and stock sentences learnt by rote is hardly 'speaking a language'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Parts of Pembrokeshire and Carmarthenshire in the south west have long been traditionally English speaking.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Landsker_Line

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,487 ✭✭✭✭Alun

There's no Church of Wales, true, but there's quite a strong Methodist presence.

Like Ireland, the Anglican official church was disestablished, they changed the name though; and it really isn't that heavily adhered to.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_in_Wales

• Advertisement
Advertisement