Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Climate Change is Normal and Welcome in My Opinion

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,325 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,472 ✭✭✭✭Thelonious Monk

Maybe read about the report published today to get an idea of where we are at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,658 ✭✭✭quokula

Sticking your head in the sand doesn't stop reality from happening.

I for one am delighted that the vast majority of people are sticking their heads in the sand - a welcome consolation for the amount of hysteria that we have to put up with.

Life is too short to believe in a speculative, far-fetched, apocalyptic hypothetical scenario

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,407 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

A lot of the flooding is a result of zero or poor managment of infrastructure, this weeked volunteers cleared 200 bags of rubbish out of a river linking up to the Dodder. If there was flooding in this area last week it would be all blamed on climate change rather than questioning the council in management of infrastructure.

If you take a walk around Dublin City Centre and take a look at the roadside drains you will see the vast majority of them are blocked with debris and are not regularly scheduled for inspection, then surprise surprise there's flooding. Similar could be said about rivers not being dredged as they were in the past as they might disturb an otter and his crew.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And some people have their heads stuck up their arse. So, there ya go. Hundreds of experts who contributed to a peer reviewed scientific report or Markus Antonius who offered a picture of a sleeping Ryan, along with a brain fart. You decide.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

Does he have to be such a condescending pain in the arse ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭dePeatrick

I think we had drier summers years back, and it seemed to be hotter. Not very scientific but…

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

• Registered Users Posts: 2,147 ✭✭✭TonyMaloney

I watched a bit of that documentary you linked to. I laughed when I saw Piers corbyn contribution. Patrick Moore too. Hahaha. You poor sod, you've been taken in by grifters and cranks.

Here's Moore claiming he'd drink a well known pesticide, until the interviewer reveals he has a bottle for him to slug on on the set

And here's Piers corbyn, of all **** people, happily taking large amounts of money to help an apparent investor in astrazeneca

https://youtu.be/u34rnwBnll4

I didn't go any further with it off course, I mean why would you, but I did check out the Wikipedia page.

Many of the other contributors are deliberately mistitled. They were not members of the IPCC. And the few people interviewed that have any credibility at all, complained that they were misrepresented and refute the central thesis of the documentary.

Apart from all that, it's also laughably out of date.

I'll never know because I'll never bother to watch the rest of that shite, but it was shaping up to be one of the worst documentaries I've ever seen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Hottest day on record in Ireland was in 1887 If i recall.

What a load of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭dalyboy

I’d like to ask a question.

if our climate has changed so vastly then why does my mothers raspberries/ strawberries/ apples and blackberries grow and ripen at the exact time of the year every year for the last ……. Wait for it …… 40 years in a row.

id love to hear how the pseudoscience climate change zealots would explain that little reality contradiction

i do remember a famous botanist by the name of David Bellamy asking a similar question and getting fired + cancelled back in the naughties.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,506 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

And for you, that single data point is enough to render the whole Report invalid? Fairly incredible stuff.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,153 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

Here's a list of high temperature records by country

The overwhelming majority were recorded in the last 20 odd years

Ireland's official record from 1887 still stands, but I'm not sure the thermometer in Kilkenny castle that day was of modern standards

She is very modern and has an MP3 player nowadays. Hasn’t played records in a long time.

So you refuse to watch it because it contains people you don't like and you reference Wikipedia - a well known climate change shill website that ironically mis-references that very claim you make that the contributors were misrepresented?

Keep living in that echo chamber...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,563 ✭✭✭Jinglejangle69

Yeah anyway.

The hottest day on record was in 1887.

140 years later were still waiting.

But but the earth is getting warmer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,597 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Lol. Indisputable proof? You think humans stopped emitting CO2 since Covid happened?

what It has shown is blaming individuals for climate change is stupid, what needs to happen is top down regulations to prevent industry from using GHG emitting manufacturing and production technologies, and massive investment in infrastructure to migrate energy systems from fossil fuels

we also need to remove all subsidies given to the fossil fuel sectors and make it uneconomical to extract oil and gas and Coal and Turf because the sustainable alternatives are cheaper

And carbon taxes to and carbon credits to incentivize individuals and companies to reduce emissions

if we had started doing these things a decade ago, we’d have avoided a lot of pain but we are where we are

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭MightyMunster

It might surprise you but the average temperature of the entire world isn't based on the temperature in Kilkenny

• Advertisement

I didn't refuse to watch it. As far as I'm aware I'm the only person in this thread that gave it a go at all.

It's an old shite documentary that uses well known paid charlatans. The director himself is apparently a former "revolutionary communist".

Look man, you've been taken in by a bunch of people that were looking for people just like you. I feel sorry for you.

Global average absolute temperature was about 13c, now it’s 14c

the maximum daily temperature on one day in one location is not that important, that said, it’s going to be surpassed sooner rather than later, will you admit Climate change is real when this happens?

The OP doesn’t need any qualifications to disprove that believers in climate change are deluded.

The only issue is it’s impossible to disprove human caused climate change for the same reason as it’s impossible to disprove the existence of unicorns . (Hint .. they’re only in fantastists imagination)

These same fundamentalist ideologues would fail 1st year secondary school level basic science.

The first thing I learnt in science class was that natural science was based 100% on the scientific method of testing a hypothesis , dependant and independent variables to determine your cause and effect. That is science. It’s the only science that ever has the merit to use the word “science” in a sentence.

NOT ,, scientific consensus, NOT ,, observances,,, NOT ideological BS.

im just waiting for these clowns to start doing rain dances in fields to control the weather next. I hope I get an invite (not likely ,boohoo) , it’d be a major belly laugher.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,584 ✭✭✭MrMusician18

Even if you thought the whole lot of climate change was a load of nonsense, in the Irish context,the goal of energy independence is an extremely worthy one. Corrib gas hasn't long left and kinsale is almost gone so we'd find ourselves at the end of some very long gas pipes.

I remember having a discussion about this with a friend. They weren't convinced about the merits of any of this so I put it to them asking how much they enjoyed paying €100 to fill their car with oil and knowing that at least half that money leaves the State. I put it to them would it not be better if it all stayed here...

No answer.

Wind turbines use up to 60 gallons of oil for lubrication not to mention the diesel trucks you need to build and maintain them. How would you cope with this issue if you close all the oil fields?

Carbon credits have been around for years. In fact there were a number of scandals a few years back in relation to the carbon offset system where companies could offset their climate impact by building/funding "pro-climate" measures as a substitute for paying off the credits.

One company (Total) built millions worth of wind farms in China, claimed that they generated XXMegawatts therefore impact is sufficiently offset. When investigated, it was found that the turbines were never connected to any grid, they were just sitting there doing nothing! (https://theconversation.com/outdated-carbon-credits-from-old-wind-and-solar-farms-are-threatening-climate-change-efforts-151456)

Another company (Gold Standard Foundation) created these water purification straws for African countries claiming that use of the straws would negate the need for the tribal villages to burn fossil fuels to purify their water. When questioned about the straws, the tribes people said that the water tasted like crap so they never used them and continued to burn the fuel to purify their water! (https://ssir.org/articles/entry/thirty_million_dollars_a_little_bit_of_carbon_and_a_lot_of_hot_air)

The measures have been brought in a decade ago, they did absolutely nothing...

You expect us to believe that you, dalyboy, have a better grasp of science than the actual scientists when you haven't yet figured out how to use a comma?

I think I'll stick with the scientists, thanks

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,323 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

Just so you guys know, the OP has run away from a thread in Conspiracy Theories wherein he has claimed that all spaceflight is faked.

Just to give you an idea of the level of science he's at.

You feel sorry for me? I'm not the one crying over a sad melting globe:

Yikes

Yes. I feel sorry for you. I'll leave you alone.

Best of luck out there in the real world

• Advertisement

There are lots and lots of ways to lubricate machines

But even if oil based lubricants were required, how many minutes would those 60 gallons of oil last in an oil fired power station? And even if a sustainable lubricant was a hundred times more expensive, it would be a pittance over the operating lifetime of a wind turbine generating terawatts of useful electricity

And crude oil doesn’t have to be outlawed, we just need to stop using it for fuel, and we need regulations to make refining more sustainable

also, the long term solution is to not use diesel trucks to service those turbines. The trucks can be EV or hydrogen powered

this is why governments need to be involved in transforming the infrastructure and we can’t just call for individuals to change their consumption

you can but an EV and shop locally, and be vegan, but if you vote against action on climate change, you’re doing way more harm than good

Advertisement