Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Jimbo Slice memorial thread, feat Nate Dogg - The new Off Topic thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,727 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

There’s a guy selling brand new 20kg plates in cork. 20 per plate.
    RFC couriers are brilliant if you need anything delivered. I’ve used them for lots of gym stuff. They charge per kg. Id say delivery wouldn’t be more than 40

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

20 per plate?! That seems insanely cheap.

DylanJM wrote: »
    20 per plate?! That seems insanely cheap.

Sorry!!! 70 per plate.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Sorry!!! 70 per plate.

Ffs dtp

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭as_mo_bhosca

Have you tried customgymequipment.ie? Think cast iron are out of stock still, but 25kg rubber coated are €100 a plate. Worth checking out.

• Advertisement

So this place pretty dead since the update huh?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 20,767 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Yup. My fear is the recent downtime has killed board.ie. Traffic is way down from what I can see.

All the threads I follow are kept alive by the same 3-4 posters. This one is on life support. It would be a shame to lose the forum, but I worry it’s too late.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

I'd also imagine a lot of people are having a tough time finding anything with how poorly laid out the site is now.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 3,032 Mod ✭✭✭✭Black Sheep

It’s pretty **** to use compared to what it used to be alright.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,552 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

The site is píss poor to use on the phone.

The downtime wasn't the problem. The layout is shíte.

• Advertisement

I actually think it’s better to use on the phone.

I just got a new iPhone though so maybe it was my old phone that’s the problem.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 17,497 ✭✭✭✭Mr. CooL ICE

How do you know someone does crossfit got a new iPhone?

They tell you

Well, I've no issue with the downtime. I just find it a poorer user experience now so I tend not to stay as long.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,791 ✭✭✭Patsy167

I’m on holidays. I have access to DBs up to 22.5kg, an adjustable bench and an outside pull up bar station. Been grand so far, using a lot of pauses, long negatives, higher rep sets and just hammering the volume to make up for lack of heavier weights. Certainly feeling the pump.

I’ve kept to a bodybuilding split with a really upper body bias as thought the lower days would be a bit so so. Needn’t have worried, turns out Bulgarian split squats with the 22.5kgs for 8-10 a leg are actually masochistic AF, underestimated them. Did a load of DB RDLs and sissy squats after and could barely walk for about three days after.

I’ve just not trained for a fortnight’s holiday before. But to be honest I just really enjoy training…

• Registered Users Posts: 1,359 ✭✭✭Cill94

Am 1000% not watching that

they/them/theirs

It’s ok. Wasnt graphic at all, honestly.

In more positive news, Tia is the GOAT of CrossFit.

• Advertisement

I have no idea what sort of vortex time disappeared into but I'd have said that was her third title. Jesus.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

She's pretty phenomenal. 7 consecutive podium finishes. Olympian. Commonwealth games gold medal.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,840 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,328 ✭✭✭the baby bull elephant

Just in case anyone hasn't seen, John Meadows passed away yesterday. He was 49 and leaves behind a wife and two young sons. Seemed to be one of the genuinely nicest people in the fitness industry.

RIP.

Blk Box are doing a "live event" that looks like it will be a mixture of sales, fitness competition and education.

The only speaker that stood out to me is Johnny Pain... He of Greyskull LP fame!

I guess someone at Blk Box is a personal fan, because this is quite a niche / left field choice of international guest, to say the least. He's not currently training any prominent athletes, and his online profile is quite limited at the moment. I suspect some personal difficulties n the background, he's alluded to as much himself.

Got a couple of 30kg hex dumbbells delivered from Blk Box last week. Shipping was free, and they came via UPS.

I came home one evening to find the two dumbbells just sitting on my steps, with no box, nothing. They'd obviously just been riding uncovered in the back of the van or whatever. A bit dirty, dusty, and somewhat scuffed up. I sent Blk Box an email and put the ball in their court, because considering how much they cost it's a bit rich. First time I've had 'new' hex dumbbells shipped without a box, the last ones I got were 27.5kg and they were boxed up.

Reminds me of when I got the 45kg slam ball and it was covered in bubble wrap...the lad rocks up at the door with a hand cart and watches as I struggle to pick up the ball. Properly struggle.

Turned out it was the bubble wrap's fault but yeah, was a good look for me!

There's a video going around of the Taliban using an abandoned US army gym in Afghanistan. It's kind of amusing, in that they're making a mess of figuring out what everything does, but also deeply disturbing when you remember what lies down the line for the country.

(I should say, there's no way to verify the video, could be from a different period or somewhere else, but it looks credible enough to me)

• Advertisement

Was the shipping label on the DB itself? Very unlikely that UPS would have accepted something unboxed like that. Possible that the packaging was in such bad shape by the time the driver was delivering that he just removed it when delivering.

Advertisement