Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Gulf stream goes,what's next

• 07-08-2021 8:32am
    Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 2,978 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Reading lately that it appears the gulf stream is decreasing and could be showing signs of stopping.what Would it mean for irish agriculture. This year has had a cold feel to most of this year

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,385 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Cold feel ? No tbh haven't really felt it's been cold for most of the year. I am on the coast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭Lime Tree Farm

I am noticing, for a good few years, that the prevailing wind seems to have changed from SW to NW -

• Registered Users Posts: 18,440 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I’d accept really really cold winters if we got predictable decent summer weather.

the reports also said that while it’s definitely changed they don’t know if it would stop or just slow down a bit and they don’t know if it might happen in 10 or 200 years or if might happen at all.

we can’t get people to focus on what’s happening right hear and now without them denying the science. So asking them to act on something that might happen is lost, no matter how serious.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

yeah, there's a certain cohort who follow the 'nothing is proven until it actually happens' argument, unfortunately.

it's a pernicious twist on the 'absence of evidence is evidence of absence' mistake.

I suppose one problem is humans have a relatively short lifespan, we spend so much time focusing on the here and now it’s hard to make space for thinking about things that might/might not happen in 200 years. I’m certainly guilty of that.

that’s where good governance should step in and have plans for the here and now AND the long term. We haven’t one potential party or combination of parties that could do this.

• Advertisement

You can’t accept one report either. The stopping of the Gulf Stream isn’t standard climate science. I looked this up a few months back. Although I haven’t read this report yet you tend to find with these reports that the headlines are more clickbaitey than the report. It’s certainly not getting colder in Ireland than the past. Winters are warming up.

Yea.

my understanding of current climate change is we here will see more and more wet windy stormy weather with warmer wetter winters cooler wetter summers while also seeing short extremes of both

we wouldn’t see artic style winters until the Gulf Stream weakens significantly or stops and we loose it’s protection

ive seen this report commented on a few places.

The common stance is we need to now take radical action now, major changes to society and how we live our lives to try prevent something that might or might not happen, amd if it might it might be in 20 or 200 years, amd if we take the radical action it might happen anyway.

Its a hard premise to ask people to make radical changes on.

On a side note.

I see more and more people I interact with saying they aren’t listening to anything only local news any more. Finding the wider news both scary and too depressing, or just impossible to comprehend.

Are they right??

Should the small people just live the best short life we have and leave the top level stuff to those elected and paid to deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

I for one look forward to winter ice skating/hockey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,415 ✭✭✭touts

If the gulf stream stops we'll probably end up with a climate like Newfoundland. Not much agriculture in Newfoundland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

Look at a globe and see how far north we are compared to North America. I lived just outside New York for a while. Neighbours had a swimming pool. They also had a snow mobile that they could use on the street in winter. The amount of snow that fell there would destroy Ireland. Now realise that New York is further south than Ireland. Would we enjoy a Newfoundland climate?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭moneyheer

Sure aren't we on the same latitude as Moscow. That woulf give you an ifea of what to expect if it got colder.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,163 ✭✭✭PokeHerKing

Yes I very much would. Better winters than Ireland and similar summers.

With our hurling surely ice hockey would become a GAA sport, it’s where it originated from.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,892 ✭✭✭farawaygrass

Rome is more northern than New York. Couldn’t believe it when I was told that. I kind of assumed New York was much the same latitude as Ireland.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,584 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

There's a lad in the eco village across the road here trying to sell grape vines for €50 each, maybe he's right and all the other experts are wrong. This climate change stuff has me confused. It's a bit like the Dire Straits song with the line 'Two men say they're Jesus, one of 'em must be wrong'.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,603 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

We are actually currently in an "interglacial" for the past 8k years - for most of the last 2.5 million years this part of the world has been in various ice ages. My point being that "climate change" is natural and has been happening since the dawn of time. Having said that human activity is certainly changing the climate in some regions - mostly by deforestation in the likes of Brazil and drainage/destruction of wetlands elsewhere. These areas will see an ongoing rapid deteriation in rainfall patterns, depletion of rivers, more droughts and hotter temps.

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Easten

If the gulf stream stopped then it would make Ireland uninhabitable. One winter would cover the place with cold hard Ice that may not thaw by Mid May. A few years of that and you would have parts completely in Ice all year round.

My own opinion is that a gulf stream shutdown would trigger another Ice age in Northern Europe which could happen over a few decades and not thousands of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,940 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

Kinda right.

There's always been some emergency in every generation on this planet.

Fact is this one has never had it as good.

Imagine if you were alive or (dying) during the Irish famine or sent over the top in the Somme in WW1.

Reading posts on sm of dads going into self inflicted depression from news reports of climate change.

Well buckle up folks now that the pressure has been applied those news reports are going to be a weekly thing.

There's no point putting depression on yourself bar you're using sm to get that message out there about climate change and you know exactly what you're doing.

Anyway all you can do is end your life cos you're a drain on the planet. No I don't mean that in the slightest but that's the message you'll put on yourself if you listen to what is being broadcast now 24/7.

All you can realistically do is live your life well. Do no harm. Reduce your carbon footprint if you want but don't beat yourself up about it. But try to make an effort.

And remember cows are not the enemy. 🤪

The conspiracist in me nearly kinda thinks it's a perfectly planned set of events these past few years and the rationale being to get people focused on a bigger picture.

Someone hit me on the head with a shovel tho if the global new society reckons anyone over seventy is a drain on society and needs to take a pill to help climate change..

But anyway back on topic. It does look like the gulf stream is slowing down a bit.

But it's not the end of the world. It's really not.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 47,998 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

"There's always been some emergency in every generation on this planet."

citation required.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

What do you mean by this exactly? No evidence does not mean there is nothing happening?

Are you looking for things to be fearful of? It's just more of the usual hysteria.

"No evidence does not mean there is nothing happening?"

i don't know if you're questioning this, or stating this?

to be clear, my concern is that if people are waiting till anthropogenic climate change is absolutely irrefutable, it will be a decade (or several) too late to do anything about it. if climate change is real (which i trust the scientists on) but proof is required for action - yes, i'm fearful.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,098 ✭✭✭Markus Antonius

Too late for what? This all sounds too apocalyptic for me

• Registered Users Posts: 13,176 ✭✭✭✭fits

I genuinely cannot think much about it. Did some climate change studies 20 years ago and everything predicted then is happening and more. Ireland not really seeing the effects yet as much as other countries because our climate is so influenced by Atlantic.

We learned about risks of climate change and the theory,melting ice caps could cut the gulf stream off from ireland in national school

With the obvious infersion it would be plunging us into candian style weather (we are at same level on globe as them)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,983 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Good synopsis

There won't be enough social responsibility to take any action, OK ireland will do their usual..ie..take EU rules and add a few of their own and be EU goody goodies while everywhere else will ignore them

Don't know if I'd hit myself on the head with a shovel but I should be glad to be the age I am if the forecasts are true....future is indeed bleak

• Registered Users Posts: 8,691 ✭✭✭893bet

Tax will fix it. And it’s coming.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,521 ✭✭✭20silkcut

Woukd it be more likely that we’d experience a pacific north west British Columbia type climate. We are also roughly at the same latitude as Vancouver. Which is not as harsh a climate as the Newfoundland one . It’s hard to see no matter what happens how the Atlantic will not have a major influence on our weather. It does seem as a poster mentioned above that our weather comes more from the North west these days. The “soft wet day” south west Gulf Stream type weather does seem to occur a lot less. It’s usually cold and windy with belts of showers with a mixture of high pressure bringing fine weather for a few weeks.

Comparisons with Moscow are futile. Moscow is in the centre of a massive continent thousands of miles from any oceanic influence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,629 ✭✭✭The J Stands for Jay

You can probably tell my analysis is based on little more than a glance at a globe. We'll miss the soft wet days, but there's probably too many factors at play for us to make an uneducated guess at what we'll get instead.

Advertisement