Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Bartkowiak (2021) (Polish) After his brother dies in a car crash, a disgraced MMA fighter takes over the family nightclub -- and soon learns his sibling's death wasn't an accident

The Snitch Cartel: Origins (2021) Season 1(Spanish): Over four decades, two brothers in Cali juggle family duties, multiple romances and illegal businesses, transforming from poor kids to cocaine kingpins

Tattoo Redo (2021) Season 1:Bad tattoos walk in. Great tattoos walk out. Top artists transform tattoo disasters into stunning cover-ups, with designs chosen by clients' loved ones

Fantastic Fungi (2019) Delve into the magical world of fungi, from mushrooms that clear oil spills to underground fungal networks that help trees communicate.

added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Anyone else have any issues with Netflix. Woke up yesterday morning to see emails that someone in New Jersey had accessed my account. Changed my email. Netflix were beyond incompetent. Couldn’t give me access back and simply offered to delete my profile and told me to start again. Also refused to talk to me as I couldn’t tell them my password.

Transformers: War for Cybertron: Kingdom (2021) Chapter 1: The frantic race to locate the Allspark first culminates on a strange planet as the future comes crashing through to the present day.

Resort to Love (2021):Reeling from a broken heart and career meltdown, a singer takes a gig at a swanky island resort -- where her ex-fiancé happens to be getting married..

added

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

That sounds dodgy. Organisations like that should never ask for your password. Are you sure it was an actual notification from Netflix and not a spoof?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 342 ✭✭Buttros

Happened to me a few years ago. Spoke to a Netflix rep. Basically reset my account and lost all viewing history. Was a pain in the.....

But was up and running again quickly at least.

Myth & Mogul: John DeLorean (2021) :In the automotive world, John DeLorean rose from engineer to executive to icon. But under the hood of his self-created legend lies darkness and deceit

The Last Mercenary (2021) (French)

A legendary secret agent-turned-mercenary comes out of hiding to save the son he's never met. Learning how to be a dad may be his toughest mission yet

Outer Banks (2021) Seasons 2:On an island of haves and have-nots, teen John B enlists his three best friends to hunt for a legendary treasure linked to his father's disappearance.

Rurouni Kenshin: The Beginning (2021) (Japanese) :Before he was a protector, Kenshin was a fearsome assassin known as Battosai. But when he meets the gentle Tomoe Yukishiro, his story begins to change.

added

Updated august list

1st August

The Hitman’s Apprentice

The Island

Gosford park

World Trade Center

Ackley Bridge: Season 3

Solomon Kane

Young Guns II

Wild Oats

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Masha and the Bear: Season 4

Chaos

I Missed You: Director’s Cut

Time and Tide

Darwin’s Game: Season 1

2nd August

The Mule

3rd August

Pray Away: The directorial debut of Kristine Stolakis, this documentary takes viewers inside the “pray the gay away” movement, specifically Exodus International, the largest conversion therapy organisation in the world. Formed in the 1970s by five men struggling with their sexuality, the organisation has since been disavowed by several leaders who have come out as LGBTQ. Pray Away chronicles that movement’s rise to power, persistent influence and the harm it causes, featuring interviews with the former leaders and a survivor seeking healing and acceptance from trauma.

Shiny Flakes: The Teenage Drug Lord :Max S. reveals how he built a drug empire from his childhood bedroom in this story that inspired the Netflix series How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast).

Ije: The Journey

4th August

Cocaine Cowboys: Season 1 :Two childhood friends go from high school dropouts to the most powerful drug kingpins in Miami in this true story of a crime saga.

Cooking with Paris: Season 1:Paris Hilton can cook…kind of. Check your smoke detector and get ready for this new reality series.

76 :When her husband is accused of taking part in an attempted military coup, a pregnant woman’s life takes an emotional turn in this action thriller.

The Iron Bridge

Inspekcja

Control Z: Season 2

Aftermath

Inventing David Geffen

Car Masters: Rust to Riches: Season 3

7th August

Vivo :With songs written and performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this animated family musical follows Vivo, a one-of-kind kinkajou (aka a rainforest “honey bear” voiced by Miranda), who must find his way from Havana to Miami in order to deliver a song on behalf of his beloved owner and mentor Andres (Buena Vista Social Club’s Juan de Marcos Gonzáles).

Hit & Run: Season 1:A man searching for the truth behind his wife’s death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Swarm :A single mother breeds locusts as high-protein food in this horror film, but has trouble getting them to reproduce — until she finds they have a taste for blood.

The Mustang :A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Navarasa: Volume 1 :From amusement to awe, the nine human emotions of Indian aesthetic theory are explored in this anthology series.

7th August

Takizawa Kabuki Zero 2020: The Movie

8th August

Vendetta

9th August

Shaman King: Season 1 :The fate of the world hangs in the balance as Medium Yoh Asakura joins the epic Shaman Fight, competing with other shamans in a bid to become the all-powerful Shaman King, while facing an opponent bent on disaster.

10th August

Untold: Malice at the Palace: Key figures from an infamous 2004 incident between players and fans at an NBA game in Michigan discuss the fight, its fallout and its lasting legacy.

Phil Wang: Philly Philly Wang Wang :Phil Wang tackles getting older, dating again, unusual foods and other things that have been on his mind in this special filmed at the London Palladium

Gabby’s Dollhouse: Season 2 :Cute cats, quirky crafts and colorful magic! Join kitty enthusiast Gabby and her sidekick Pandy Paws as they team up for a series of animated adventures.

I Need Romance: Season 1

11th August

The Kissing Booth 3 :It’s the summer before Elle heads to college, and she’s facing the hardest decision of her life: whether to move across the country with her dreamy boyfriend Noah or fulfil her lifelong promise to go to college with her BFF Lee. Whose heart will Elle break as The Kissing Booth trilogy comes to an end?

Bake Squad: Season 1 :Expert bakers elevate desserts with next-level ideas and epic execution. Now the battle is on to win over clients in need of special sweets in Netflix’s latest baking competition series, presented by Milk Bar’s Christina Tosi.

La Diosa del Asfalto

12th August

Riverdale: Season 5, Part 2 :The CW’s teen drama finally makes its return for the second half of its fifth season.

Alrawabi School for Girls: Season 1 :This youthful drama is created by Jordanian director Tima Shomali and Shirin Kamal and tells the story of how a bullied girl gets revenge on her bullies, only to find out that no one is all bad, and no one is all good, including herself.

Lokillo: Nothing’s the Same:Through songs and puns, comedian Lokillo Florez hilariously reviews how Latin Americans have adjusted to a new world where no-hugging policies prevail.

Monster Hunter: Legends of the Guild :In a world where humans and fearsome monsters live in an uneasy balance, young hunter Aiden fights to save his village from destruction by a dragon.

Don’t Let Go

Riverdale: Season 5, Episode 11

13th August

Beckett :While vacationing in Greece, Beckett (John David Washington) becomes the target of a manhunt after a devastating accident. Forced to run for his life and desperate to get across the country to the American embassy to clear his name, tensions escalate as the authorities close in, political unrest mounts, and Beckett falls even deeper into a dangerous web of conspiracy. Co-starring Alicia Vikander.

Brand New Cherry Flavor: A filmmaker heads to Hollywood in the early ’90s to make her movie but tumbles down a hallucinatory rabbit hole of sex, magic, revenge — and kittens.

Fast & Furious: Spy Racers: Season 5 :Netflix’s animated spin-of from the action film franchise continues to follow teen driver Tony Toretto and his thrill-seeking friends after they’re recruited by a government agency.

Gone for Good: Season 1 :Ten years after losing two loved ones, a man is plunged into another dizzying mystery when his girlfriend vanishes in this thriller based on Harlan Coben’s novel.

The Kingdom: Season 1

Valeria: Season 2

15th August

Downton Abbey seasons 1-6

I Give It a Year

Flying Monkeys

Grace: The Possession

16th August

The LEGO Movie: The Second Part 

American Girl: Lea to the Rescue

Bride of Chucky

Mr Peabody & Sherman

17th August

Keeping up with the Kardashians: Season 5 

The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills: Season 5

Toot-Toot Cory Carson: Season 5

Untold: Deal with the Devil

The Hole

18th August

The Defeated: Season 1:In 1946 Berlin, an American cop searches for his missing brother while helping a novice German policewoman fight the violent crimes engulfing the city.

Black Island :The dark secrets of a seemingly peaceful island threaten to swallow up an orphaned student when he grows close to a mysterious new teacher.

Out of My League :Tired of swiping through the dating scene with her besties in tow, a charming yet awkward woman with a rare genetic disorder sets her sights on love.

Memories of a Murderer: The Nilsen Tapes:Britain’s most notorious serial killer, Dennis Nilsen, confessed to killing 15 people in 1983. Over a five-year period, he picked up vulnerable young men, lured them back to his home and strangled them, before disposing of their bodies under the floorboards.

The Secret Diary of an Exchange Student :looking to shake things up, two best friends embark on a life-changing adventure abroad as exchange students. But can they stay out of trouble?

19th August

Riverdale: Season 5, Episode 12

Sweet Girl :A devastated husband (Jason Momoa) vows to bring justice to the people responsible for his wife’s death while protecting the only family he has left, his daughter (Isabela Merced).

The Chair: Season 1: The Chair follows Dr. Ji-Yoon Kim (Sandra Oh) as she navigates her new role as the Chair of the English department at prestigious Pembroke University. Ji-Yoon is faced with a unique set of challenges as the first woman to chair the department, and as one of the few staff members of color at the university. Starring Sandra Oh, Jay Duplass, Holland Taylor and Bob Balaban.

The Loud House Movie :Scotland’s about to get a whole lot louder. Join the Louds as they head to Scotland for an animated family adventure filled with castles, bagpipes, kilts… and a dragon.

Comedy Premium League: Season 1, Part 1:Four teams comprising 16 of India’s funniest entertainers engage in battles of wit and wisecracks in hopes of being crowned the ultimate comedy champs. Episodes 1 to 4 arrive together.

23rd August

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf :This origins story takes place before Netflix’s main The Witcher series (starring Henry Cavill as Geralt) and follows his mentor, Vesemir – a swashbuckling young witcher who escaped a life of poverty to slay monsters for coin. But when a strange new monster begins terrorising a politically-fraught kingdom, Vesemir finds himself on a frightening adventure that forces him to confront the demons of his past.

24th August

Untold: Caitlyn Jenner

25th August

Clickbait: Season 1 :When family man Nick Brewer is abducted in a crime with a sinister online twist, those closest to him race to uncover who is behind it and why.

Open Your Eyes: Season 1 :After a tragic accident, an amnesiac teen tries to rebuild her life at a memory disorders centre but becomes suspicious of her unconventional treatment.

Post Mortem: Season 1 :She’s back from the dead and has a newfound thirst for blood. Meanwhile, her family’s funeral parlour desperately needs more business… This Norwegian vampire comedy-drama is directed by Harald Zwart and penned by up-and-coming writer Petter Holmsen.

Suffragette :Inspirational and hugely moving, this is a historical drama that feels urgently present.

Bob Ross: Happy Accidents, Betrayal & Greed :Bob Ross brought joy to millions as the world’s most famous art instructor. But a battle for his business empire cast a shadow over his happy trees. Director Joshua Rofé charts Ross’ story in this new documentary.

The River Runner

26th August

Family Reunion: Part 4 :Family matters bring the McKellans closer together as new relationships, unexpected obstacles and a milestone birthday lead to major life lessons.

Riverdale: Season 5, Episode 13

27th August

He’s All That :An influencer specializing in makeovers bets she can transform an unpopular classmate into prom king in this remake of the teen classic She’s All That.

31st August

Sparking Joy with Marie Kondo: Season 1

Untold: Crimes & Penalties

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Post Mortem: Season 1 :She’s back from the dead and has a newfound thirst for blood. Meanwhile, her family’s funeral parlour desperately needs more business… This Norwegian vampire comedy-drama is directed by Harald Zwart and penned by up-and-coming writer Petter Holmsen.

Sounds like a less procedural, soap-opera version of CW's iZombie; by the looks of this trailer the humour will very Scandana...dry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

We just finished s4 of Atypical, it really is a gem of a show and doesn't seem like it gets the credit it deserves.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Sugarlumps

That's what makes it great, flying under the radar.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I know its not new, but I was looking for an interesting travel programme and stumbled onto Dark Tourist, which is right up my street. I have to force myself to not stay up way past my bedtime on the next episode. For people who want to see the more unusual, less touristed parts of the world

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched it on BBC and thought it was just too long and 4 episodes, 6 at most, would have have been less sprawling and a better show. Still watchable but a good few dull moments in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,099 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Funnily enough i started demanding to know if he was a hacker. Actually didn’t get it right what I said. So the email came in to say that it had been accessed in New Jersey. Then 5 minutes it said that the password had been changed. I googled the number and rang it: think he was in the PhilipiNes. When he got through he said that my bank card didn’t match the account. I said just give me back the account. He then said verify the password by the automated thing. Said my password was wrong and he said all he could do was completely delete everything which meant completely new account.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,966 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The relentless chaos and unpredictablilty of season 1 made it a good watch, but that can wear thin- so season 2 has tried to spice it up a bit; injecting a bit of narrative into it, with a bit of time-chopping for added intrigue on top of the mysterious background story-line. I don't think it worked that well tbh; it was good overall, but in a tired genre, it looks like it might have to jump the zombie shark for season 3.

Much preferred Kingdom, the Korean zombie series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,471 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The LEGO Movie: The Second Part - Just watch the first one again.

23rd August

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf :( Great I've to wait weeks - when will season 2 arrive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,416 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Myth & Mogul: John Delorean worth a watch. There's a lot of it taken from the BBC NIRL documentary DeLorean: Back from the Future.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,068 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched Florence Foster Jenkins again, it's worth a watch if you want a bit of gentle humour with a tiny little bit of drama thrown in. Hugh Grant is great as usual these days, Meryl Streep and Simon Helberg also excellent. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it when I first saw it, and it definitely still has feel good charm on repeat viewing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,787 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Blood Red Sky is well worth a watch.

Stay well clear of...

Hostage House & Trust, two absolute piles of nonsense.

Gosford Park

Once

Munich

The Firm (1993)

Primal Fear

Employee of the Month

Miss Potter

Serendipity

The Hitman’s Apprentice

The Island

World Trade Center

Ackley Bridge: Season 3

Sabrina

Chocolat

Cardboard Gangsters

Black Mass

Blitz

RocknRolla

Solomon Kane

Young Guns II

Wild Oats

Tommy (1975)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Masha and the Bear: Season 4

Chaos

I Missed You: Director’s Cut

Time and Tide

Darwin’s Game: Season 1

added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 36,711 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah the TV thread is quiet but it's a fabulous little show that has received very little promotion from Netflix AFAIK, coupled with minimal buzz. Definitely should have a larger audience, especially for those looking for small scoped shows.

It threads a very successful line of sentimentality and sweetness without ever blowing out your palette. And its treatment of autism doesn't feel exploitative or manipulative either, even if the show centres around Sam's attempts to make sense of the world he doesn't get. Now, that's speaking as someone with zero exposure to that level of autism so maybe I'm off base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

I like the show a lot. Like you, I have very little experience around autism, but it definitely feels like it's being handled with sensitivity. Feels very authentic.

The Mule (2018) :In dire financial straits and estranged from his family, an ornery old horticulturalist becomes a delivery driver for a Mexican drug cartel.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched that He-Man thing, twas grand - I saw some people complaining it was "woke" but I didn't get that vibe from it.

It's grand to pass a bit of time, nothing earth shattering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,521 ✭✭✭tigger123

People who describe things as woke generally tells you more about the person than the subject matter.

See Piers Morgan as an example.

Creed

Saw III

The Addams Family (1991)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Jackass 3

Get Hard

Ghostbusters (2016)

Troy (2004)

Vacation (2015)

Ackley Bridge Seasons 1-3

Boyka: Undisputed

also added

Shiny_Flakes: The Teenage Drug Lord (2021)(German) Max S. reveals how he built a drug empire from his childhood bedroom in this story that inspired the series "How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast).

Pray Away (2021) :Ex-leaders and a survivor of the so-called "conversion therapy" movement speak out about its harm to the LGBTQ+ community and its devastating persistence.

'71 (2014) :A young British soldier who's separated from his unit in Belfast at the height of Northern Ireland's Troubles must survive a night alone in the city

El infierno (2010)(Spanish) :After being deported back to Mexico, a man has no choice but to join the vicious drug cartel that has corrupted his hometown in order to survive.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,195 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,007 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A Few Good Men (1992) made it to Netflix recently. I've never seen it, but know of that iconic line.

We're on a Sorkin binge the last couple of months (especially with The West Wing) so it's always nice to have more Sorkanisms to enjoy.

A truly great movie. I'm terrible for flicking on my phone during movies, but this kept be enthralled more or less throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭Caquas

Surprised I can't find coverage of this documentary on the Irish media. Parts II and III are heavily focused on Belfast. Tensions were extremely high during the Hunger Strikes. The Delorean plant gave people jobs and hope for a short time but it all ended in failure, except that the car has gained mythological status due to Back to the Future.

It is based on material that Chris Hegedus and P.A. Pennebaker gathered for a documentary on Delorean back in 1980, plus the BBC NI material. Hegedus comments frequently during the documentary, as does Gail Sheehy, who is perceptive about Delorean's psychology (she wrote the huge best-seller, Passages)

Amazing to see the big names in the BBC who cut their teeth in N. Ireland (Jeremy Paxman, Gavin Esler). And Ivan Fallon, the most significant Irish journalist of his generation (but the Irish media hate him because he supported Thatcher).

Delorean's deal with Colin Chapman of Lotus deserved fuller treatment. Chapman's death is very suspicious.

Includes a clip of Dessie O'Malley explaining why the IDA passed on Delorean. In all the superficial hagiography following his recent demise, no-one mentioned that we dodged that bullet because of Dessie's innate scepticism. I suppose the Greens will never revive his nuclear power plant for Carnsore although it would be a lot less intrusive that the windfarms they will get in the Irish Sea 😎

[Spoiler alert:

His acquittal on cocaine charges is not fully explained. The FBI were shown to have entrapped him i.e. he initially thought this was a legitimate business deal and, when he tried to back out, he was threatened).

• Advertisement

Cocaine Cowboys: Season 1:Two childhood friends go from high school dropouts to the most powerful drug kingpins in Miami in this true story of a crime saga.

Cooking with Paris: Season 1 :Paris Hilton can cook…kind of. Check your smoke detector and get ready for this new reality series.

76 – 4th August: When her husband is accused of taking part in an attempted military coup, a pregnant woman’s life takes an emotional turn in this action thriller.

American Masters: Inventing David Geffen :The son of Jewish immigrants, David Geffen emerged from a humble upbringing to become one of the most powerful media personalities in America.

Control Z Season 2 (Spanish)

Car Masters: Rust to Riches (2021) 3 Season 3:The colorful crew at Gotham Garage overhauls an eclectic collection of cars and trucks, trading up to a showstopper they can sell for big bucks

Inspection (2018) (Polish):On a mission from Stalin, a Russian officer sets out to convince Polish soldiers held at POW camps to collaborate with Communist authorities

The Iron Bridge (2019) (Polish):When an accident traps a coal miner underground, his wife and boss, who are having an affair, become wracked with guilt as rescue efforts get underway.

added

Post edited by peteeeed on

Netflix will tell the story of Michael Schumacher this September in a new documentary.

The film chronicles the definitive story of seven-time Formula 1 World Champion, from karting in Kerpen to taking his record seventh championship in 2004. With the permission of his family, the film will include interviews from his wife Corinna, their two children Gina and Mick, and former F1 rivals and peers.

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/netflix-announces-michael-schumacher-documentary/

City of God: 10 Years Later (2013) (Brazilian Portuguese): A decade after the seminal Brazilian film "City of God," this documentary reunites some of the cast and crew to find out what paths their lives took.

Jutro idziemy do kina (2007) (Polish) :Three high school graduates prepare to start the next chapter of their lives, but the outbreak of World War II may derail their dreams forever.

Of Animals and Men (2019) (Polish): Discover how Antonina and Jan Żabiński courageously risked their lives to save hundreds of Jews by hiding them at the Warsaw Zoo during World War II..

Everything for My Mother (2019) (Polish) :After repeated escapes from an orphanage, an out-of-place teen must endure life in a court-ordered reformatory as she plots a way to find her mother

A Dog's Purpose (2017):A dog explores the meaning of his reincarnated lives through his human owners as he discovers loyalty and love, as well as pain and disappointment...

Jerzy Popieluszko: Messenger of the Truth (2013)(Polish) :This documentary follows the life of Jerzy Popiełuszko, the chaplain of the Solidarity movement, who inspired Poles to stand up to the Communist regime.

Jurek (2014)(Polish): This documentary follows the feats of high-altitude climber Jerzy Kukuczka and his ascent to higher heights before his death in 1989.

Jarocin (2016)(Polish): In the small town of Jarocin, the birth of a unique rock music festival provides an escape amid the social and political tensions of 1980s Poland

Karski (2014)(Polish): Two young filmmakers race against time to produce a docudrama about Jan Karski, a World War II Polish resistance fighter.

added

... but do they have any Polish Shows? 🤔

Vivo – With songs written and performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this animated family musical follows Vivo, a one-of-kind kinkajou (aka a rainforest “honey bear” voiced by Miranda), who must find his way from Havana to Miami in order to deliver a song on behalf of his beloved owner and mentor Andres (Buena Vista Social Club’s Juan de Marcos Gonzáles).

Hit & Run: Season 1 – A man searching for the truth behind his wife’s death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Swarm – A single mother breeds locusts as high-protein food in this horror film, but has trouble getting them to reproduce — until she finds they have a taste for blood.

The Mustang – A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Hit & Run Season 1-A man searching for the truth behind his wife's death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Mustang -A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Oceans 11,12 & 13

The Iron Lady-Margaret Thatcher, the first female prime minister of Britain, navigates a career destined to change the rules of leadership and politics.

added

That's handy, I was only wondering the other day if Ocean's 12 was as bad as I remember; that maybe it's worth another look, having only just watched 11

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"Jump the shark" is overused and misapplied most of the time but perfectly describes Ocean's 12. A very talented guy Soderbergh but with a terrible propensity for self-sabotage.

12 is truly terrible (the julia roberts is julia roberts bit ), 13 a little bit better than that

Spaced (2001) Seasons 1&2 :Slacker twentysomething artist Tim and his brooding writer flatmate, Daisy, do everything possible to avoid adulthood in this surreal sitcom

also added

highly highly highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,015 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure its been mentioned on here - probably has - but I cant search. But I started watching Inhuman Resources last night with Eric Cantona. Very good so far.

Yeah I only have vague memories of it but those are of a sense of hubris coming off the screen. As well as the aforementioned Julia Roberts moment being just too meta by half.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,688 ✭✭✭storker

Watched "Blood Red Sky" and "'71" this week and would recommend both. Kudos to BRS for a interesting new(?) take on the vampire genre, and to '71 for covering a lot of Troubles ground in a relatively short movie.

(Interesting to see Cpl Burgin such a long way from Peleliu 😁)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,000 ✭✭✭Mr Crispy

Think I'll give The Swarm a go over the weekend. Good "creature features" are hard to come by.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,386 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

The Oceans series overall isn't really great anyway, like the original version of the first movie from 1960 it got by on household names at the time mostly but it does surpass that so a worthy remake but hardly a classic by any stretch. Twelve isn't a significant drop off just more of the same really and taking the p1ss out of itself was actually a distraction to me to help to ease the predictability might have found it a problem if the movie was to be taken seriously but I felt it wasn't, Thirteen is the worst by far of not even Pacino could save. Eight is a slight improvement, totally pointless now but a slight improvement, Bullock just not believable in the role but again not to be taken seriously and getting by on household names.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,717 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Ah Ocean’s Eleven 2001 is bloody fantastic. That and Out of Sight (and maybe even Magic Mike) are peak Soderbergh cool - effortlessly slick and stylish in his utterly distinctive way.

12 is horrid, mind you. 13 was a solid cover version of the first, but 11 is just one of the most entertaining Hollywood heist movies (although a notch below the likes of The Red Circle or Rififi in the heist movie canon).

Yeah, it's rare you can say something's swaggering style was entirely the point, as opposed to simply a shallow surface layer. As you say Johnny, effortlessly cool.

I would bat for Logan Lucky, even if Soderbergh lamp-shaded his own conceit when a character inside the story remarked about "Ocean's 7-Eleven"

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I watched Ocean's 12 recently enough and didn't hate it as much as I remembered hating it upon first viewing. The Julia Roberts things is actually excecuted well, Bruce Willis is a fun cameo, it just raises way too many questions about why the other characters don't look like their respective actors. It's nowhere near as good as 11 and it as clever as it thinks but the cast are all so effortlessly charming. It does feel very much like they all just wanted a trip to Europe.

Paddington (2014):Rescued from a train station, Paddington Bear finds a haven with a London family -- until a taxidermist decides to add Paddington to her collection.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭ratoath25

A couple of good films just dropped. The firm(Tom cruise one) and the island

• Advertisement
Advertisement