Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I know its not new, but I was looking for an interesting travel programme and stumbled onto Dark Tourist, which is right up my street. I have to force myself to not stay up way past my bedtime on the next episode. For people who want to see the more unusual, less touristed parts of the world

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Watched it on BBC and thought it was just too long and 4 episodes, 6 at most, would have have been less sprawling and a better show. Still watchable but a good few dull moments in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,938 ✭✭✭joeguevara

Funnily enough i started demanding to know if he was a hacker. Actually didn’t get it right what I said. So the email came in to say that it had been accessed in New Jersey. Then 5 minutes it said that the password had been changed. I googled the number and rang it: think he was in the PhilipiNes. When he got through he said that my bank card didn’t match the account. I said just give me back the account. He then said verify the password by the automated thing. Said my password was wrong and he said all he could do was completely delete everything which meant completely new account.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,894 ✭✭✭cdgalwegian

The relentless chaos and unpredictablilty of season 1 made it a good watch, but that can wear thin- so season 2 has tried to spice it up a bit; injecting a bit of narrative into it, with a bit of time-chopping for added intrigue on top of the mysterious background story-line. I don't think it worked that well tbh; it was good overall, but in a tired genre, it looks like it might have to jump the zombie shark for season 3.

Much preferred Kingdom, the Korean zombie series.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,537 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

The LEGO Movie: The Second Part - Just watch the first one again.

23rd August

The Witcher: Nightmare of the Wolf :( Great I've to wait weeks - when will season 2 arrive ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 80,795 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn

Myth & Mogul: John Delorean worth a watch. There's a lot of it taken from the BBC NIRL documentary DeLorean: Back from the Future.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,844 ✭✭✭✭Tom Mann Centuria

Watched Florence Foster Jenkins again, it's worth a watch if you want a bit of gentle humour with a tiny little bit of drama thrown in. Hugh Grant is great as usual these days, Meryl Streep and Simon Helberg also excellent. I was surprised how much I enjoyed it when I first saw it, and it definitely still has feel good charm on repeat viewing.

Oh well, give me an easy life and a peaceful death.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,691 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

Blood Red Sky is well worth a watch.

Stay well clear of...

Hostage House & Trust, two absolute piles of nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,563 ✭✭✭✭peteeeed

Gosford Park

Once

Munich

The Firm (1993)

Primal Fear

Employee of the Month

Miss Potter

Serendipity

The Hitman’s Apprentice

The Island

World Trade Center

Ackley Bridge: Season 3

Sabrina

Chocolat

Cardboard Gangsters

Black Mass

Blitz

RocknRolla

Solomon Kane

Young Guns II

Wild Oats

Tommy (1975)

Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street

Masha and the Bear: Season 4

Chaos

I Missed You: Director’s Cut

Time and Tide

Darwin’s Game: Season 1

added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Yeah the TV thread is quiet but it's a fabulous little show that has received very little promotion from Netflix AFAIK, coupled with minimal buzz. Definitely should have a larger audience, especially for those looking for small scoped shows.

It threads a very successful line of sentimentality and sweetness without ever blowing out your palette. And its treatment of autism doesn't feel exploitative or manipulative either, even if the show centres around Sam's attempts to make sense of the world he doesn't get. Now, that's speaking as someone with zero exposure to that level of autism so maybe I'm off base.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

I like the show a lot. Like you, I have very little experience around autism, but it definitely feels like it's being handled with sensitivity. Feels very authentic.

The Mule (2018) :In dire financial straits and estranged from his family, an ornery old horticulturalist becomes a delivery driver for a Mexican drug cartel.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 4,231 ✭✭✭Hercule Poirot

Watched that He-Man thing, twas grand - I saw some people complaining it was "woke" but I didn't get that vibe from it.

It's grand to pass a bit of time, nothing earth shattering.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,414 ✭✭✭tigger123

People who describe things as woke generally tells you more about the person than the subject matter.

See Piers Morgan as an example.

Creed

Saw III

The Addams Family (1991)

Ferris Bueller's Day Off

Jackass 3

Get Hard

Ghostbusters (2016)

Troy (2004)

Vacation (2015)

Ackley Bridge Seasons 1-3

Boyka: Undisputed

also added

Shiny_Flakes: The Teenage Drug Lord (2021)(German) Max S. reveals how he built a drug empire from his childhood bedroom in this story that inspired the series "How to Sell Drugs Online (Fast).

Pray Away (2021) :Ex-leaders and a survivor of the so-called "conversion therapy" movement speak out about its harm to the LGBTQ+ community and its devastating persistence.

'71 (2014) :A young British soldier who's separated from his unit in Belfast at the height of Northern Ireland's Troubles must survive a night alone in the city

El infierno (2010)(Spanish) :After being deported back to Mexico, a man has no choice but to join the vicious drug cartel that has corrupted his hometown in order to survive.

added

• Registered Users Posts: 8,190 ✭✭✭bottlebrush

• Registered Users Posts: 1,948 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

A Few Good Men (1992) made it to Netflix recently. I've never seen it, but know of that iconic line.

We're on a Sorkin binge the last couple of months (especially with The West Wing) so it's always nice to have more Sorkanisms to enjoy.

A truly great movie. I'm terrible for flicking on my phone during movies, but this kept be enthralled more or less throughout.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,270 ✭✭✭Caquas

Surprised I can't find coverage of this documentary on the Irish media. Parts II and III are heavily focused on Belfast. Tensions were extremely high during the Hunger Strikes. The Delorean plant gave people jobs and hope for a short time but it all ended in failure, except that the car has gained mythological status due to Back to the Future.

It is based on material that Chris Hegedus and P.A. Pennebaker gathered for a documentary on Delorean back in 1980, plus the BBC NI material. Hegedus comments frequently during the documentary, as does Gail Sheehy, who is perceptive about Delorean's psychology (she wrote the huge best-seller, Passages)

Amazing to see the big names in the BBC who cut their teeth in N. Ireland (Jeremy Paxman, Gavin Esler). And Ivan Fallon, the most significant Irish journalist of his generation (but the Irish media hate him because he supported Thatcher).

Delorean's deal with Colin Chapman of Lotus deserved fuller treatment. Chapman's death is very suspicious.

Includes a clip of Dessie O'Malley explaining why the IDA passed on Delorean. In all the superficial hagiography following his recent demise, no-one mentioned that we dodged that bullet because of Dessie's innate scepticism. I suppose the Greens will never revive his nuclear power plant for Carnsore although it would be a lot less intrusive that the windfarms they will get in the Irish Sea 😎

[Spoiler alert:

His acquittal on cocaine charges is not fully explained. The FBI were shown to have entrapped him i.e. he initially thought this was a legitimate business deal and, when he tried to back out, he was threatened).

• Advertisement

Cocaine Cowboys: Season 1:Two childhood friends go from high school dropouts to the most powerful drug kingpins in Miami in this true story of a crime saga.

Cooking with Paris: Season 1 :Paris Hilton can cook…kind of. Check your smoke detector and get ready for this new reality series.

76 – 4th August: When her husband is accused of taking part in an attempted military coup, a pregnant woman’s life takes an emotional turn in this action thriller.

American Masters: Inventing David Geffen :The son of Jewish immigrants, David Geffen emerged from a humble upbringing to become one of the most powerful media personalities in America.

Control Z Season 2 (Spanish)

Car Masters: Rust to Riches (2021) 3 Season 3:The colorful crew at Gotham Garage overhauls an eclectic collection of cars and trucks, trading up to a showstopper they can sell for big bucks

Inspection (2018) (Polish):On a mission from Stalin, a Russian officer sets out to convince Polish soldiers held at POW camps to collaborate with Communist authorities

The Iron Bridge (2019) (Polish):When an accident traps a coal miner underground, his wife and boss, who are having an affair, become wracked with guilt as rescue efforts get underway.

added

Post edited by peteeeed on

Netflix will tell the story of Michael Schumacher this September in a new documentary.

The film chronicles the definitive story of seven-time Formula 1 World Champion, from karting in Kerpen to taking his record seventh championship in 2004. With the permission of his family, the film will include interviews from his wife Corinna, their two children Gina and Mick, and former F1 rivals and peers.

https://vodzilla.co/blog/vod-news/netflix-announces-michael-schumacher-documentary/

City of God: 10 Years Later (2013) (Brazilian Portuguese): A decade after the seminal Brazilian film "City of God," this documentary reunites some of the cast and crew to find out what paths their lives took.

Jutro idziemy do kina (2007) (Polish) :Three high school graduates prepare to start the next chapter of their lives, but the outbreak of World War II may derail their dreams forever.

Of Animals and Men (2019) (Polish): Discover how Antonina and Jan Żabiński courageously risked their lives to save hundreds of Jews by hiding them at the Warsaw Zoo during World War II..

Everything for My Mother (2019) (Polish) :After repeated escapes from an orphanage, an out-of-place teen must endure life in a court-ordered reformatory as she plots a way to find her mother

A Dog's Purpose (2017):A dog explores the meaning of his reincarnated lives through his human owners as he discovers loyalty and love, as well as pain and disappointment...

Jerzy Popieluszko: Messenger of the Truth (2013)(Polish) :This documentary follows the life of Jerzy Popiełuszko, the chaplain of the Solidarity movement, who inspired Poles to stand up to the Communist regime.

Jurek (2014)(Polish): This documentary follows the feats of high-altitude climber Jerzy Kukuczka and his ascent to higher heights before his death in 1989.

Jarocin (2016)(Polish): In the small town of Jarocin, the birth of a unique rock music festival provides an escape amid the social and political tensions of 1980s Poland

Karski (2014)(Polish): Two young filmmakers race against time to produce a docudrama about Jan Karski, a World War II Polish resistance fighter.

added

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,718 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

... but do they have any Polish Shows? 🤔

Vivo – With songs written and performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this animated family musical follows Vivo, a one-of-kind kinkajou (aka a rainforest “honey bear” voiced by Miranda), who must find his way from Havana to Miami in order to deliver a song on behalf of his beloved owner and mentor Andres (Buena Vista Social Club’s Juan de Marcos Gonzáles).

Hit & Run: Season 1 – A man searching for the truth behind his wife’s death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Swarm – A single mother breeds locusts as high-protein food in this horror film, but has trouble getting them to reproduce — until she finds they have a taste for blood.

The Mustang – A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Hit & Run Season 1-A man searching for the truth behind his wife's death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Mustang -A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Oceans 11,12 & 13

The Iron Lady-Margaret Thatcher, the first female prime minister of Britain, navigates a career destined to change the rules of leadership and politics.

added

That's handy, I was only wondering the other day if Ocean's 12 was as bad as I remember; that maybe it's worth another look, having only just watched 11

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,667 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

"Jump the shark" is overused and misapplied most of the time but perfectly describes Ocean's 12. A very talented guy Soderbergh but with a terrible propensity for self-sabotage.

12 is truly terrible (the julia roberts is julia roberts bit ), 13 a little bit better than that

Spaced (2001) Seasons 1&2 :Slacker twentysomething artist Tim and his brooding writer flatmate, Daisy, do everything possible to avoid adulthood in this surreal sitcom

also added

highly highly highly recommended

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,881 ✭✭✭✭GBX

Not sure its been mentioned on here - probably has - but I cant search. But I started watching Inhuman Resources last night with Eric Cantona. Very good so far.

Advertisement