Advertisement
How to add spoiler tags, edit posts, add images etc. How to - a user's guide to the new version of Boards
Mods please check the Moderators Group for an important update on Mod tools. If you do not have access to the group, please PM Niamh. Thanks!

Netflix Recommendations Thread 3.0

Comments

• Watched that He-Man thing, twas grand - I saw some people complaining it was "woke" but I didn't get that vibe from it.

It's grand to pass a bit of time, nothing earth shattering.

• Advertisement

• Cocaine Cowboys: Season 1:Two childhood friends go from high school dropouts to the most powerful drug kingpins in Miami in this true story of a crime saga.

Cooking with Paris: Season 1 :Paris Hilton can cook…kind of. Check your smoke detector and get ready for this new reality series.

76 – 4th August: When her husband is accused of taking part in an attempted military coup, a pregnant woman’s life takes an emotional turn in this action thriller.

American Masters: Inventing David Geffen :The son of Jewish immigrants, David Geffen emerged from a humble upbringing to become one of the most powerful media personalities in America.

Control Z Season 2 (Spanish)

Car Masters: Rust to Riches (2021) 3 Season 3:The colorful crew at Gotham Garage overhauls an eclectic collection of cars and trucks, trading up to a showstopper they can sell for big bucks

Inspection (2018) (Polish):On a mission from Stalin, a Russian officer sets out to convince Polish soldiers held at POW camps to collaborate with Communist authorities

The Iron Bridge (2019) (Polish):When an accident traps a coal miner underground, his wife and boss, who are having an affair, become wracked with guilt as rescue efforts get underway.

added

Post edited by peteeeed on

• City of God: 10 Years Later (2013) (Brazilian Portuguese): A decade after the seminal Brazilian film "City of God," this documentary reunites some of the cast and crew to find out what paths their lives took.

Jutro idziemy do kina (2007) (Polish) :Three high school graduates prepare to start the next chapter of their lives, but the outbreak of World War II may derail their dreams forever.

Of Animals and Men (2019) (Polish): Discover how Antonina and Jan Żabiński courageously risked their lives to save hundreds of Jews by hiding them at the Warsaw Zoo during World War II..

Everything for My Mother (2019) (Polish) :After repeated escapes from an orphanage, an out-of-place teen must endure life in a court-ordered reformatory as she plots a way to find her mother

A Dog's Purpose (2017):A dog explores the meaning of his reincarnated lives through his human owners as he discovers loyalty and love, as well as pain and disappointment...

Jerzy Popieluszko: Messenger of the Truth (2013)(Polish) :This documentary follows the life of Jerzy Popiełuszko, the chaplain of the Solidarity movement, who inspired Poles to stand up to the Communist regime.

Jurek (2014)(Polish): This documentary follows the feats of high-altitude climber Jerzy Kukuczka and his ascent to higher heights before his death in 1989.

Jarocin (2016)(Polish): In the small town of Jarocin, the birth of a unique rock music festival provides an escape amid the social and political tensions of 1980s Poland

Karski (2014)(Polish): Two young filmmakers race against time to produce a docudrama about Jan Karski, a World War II Polish resistance fighter.

added

• Advertisement

• Vivo – With songs written and performed by Lin-Manuel Miranda, this animated family musical follows Vivo, a one-of-kind kinkajou (aka a rainforest “honey bear” voiced by Miranda), who must find his way from Havana to Miami in order to deliver a song on behalf of his beloved owner and mentor Andres (Buena Vista Social Club’s Juan de Marcos Gonzáles).

Hit & Run: Season 1 – A man searching for the truth behind his wife’s death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Swarm – A single mother breeds locusts as high-protein food in this horror film, but has trouble getting them to reproduce — until she finds they have a taste for blood.

The Mustang – A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Hit & Run Season 1-A man searching for the truth behind his wife's death becomes caught up in a dangerous web of secrets and intrigue stretching from New York to Tel Aviv.

The Mustang -A hardened criminal participates in a prison rehabilitation program with horses while trying to mend the relationship with his daughter.

Oceans 11,12 & 13

The Iron Lady-Margaret Thatcher, the first female prime minister of Britain, navigates a career destined to change the rules of leadership and politics.

added

• That's handy, I was only wondering the other day if Ocean's 12 was as bad as I remember; that maybe it's worth another look, having only just watched 11

• "Jump the shark" is overused and misapplied most of the time but perfectly describes Ocean's 12. A very talented guy Soderbergh but with a terrible propensity for self-sabotage.

• 12 is truly terrible (the julia roberts is julia roberts bit ), 13 a little bit better than that

• Not sure its been mentioned on here - probably has - but I cant search. But I started watching Inhuman Resources last night with Eric Cantona. Very good so far.

• Yeah I only have vague memories of it but those are of a sense of hubris coming off the screen. As well as the aforementioned Julia Roberts moment being just too meta by half.

• Watched "Blood Red Sky" and "'71" this week and would recommend both. Kudos to BRS for a interesting new(?) take on the vampire genre, and to '71 for covering a lot of Troubles ground in a relatively short movie.

(Interesting to see Cpl Burgin such a long way from Peleliu 😁)

• Advertisement

• Think I'll give The Swarm a go over the weekend. Good "creature features" are hard to come by.

• The Oceans series overall isn't really great anyway, like the original version of the first movie from 1960 it got by on household names at the time mostly but it does surpass that so a worthy remake but hardly a classic by any stretch. Twelve isn't a significant drop off just more of the same really and taking the p1ss out of itself was actually a distraction to me to help to ease the predictability might have found it a problem if the movie was to be taken seriously but I felt it wasn't, Thirteen is the worst by far of not even Pacino could save. Eight is a slight improvement, totally pointless now but a slight improvement, Bullock just not believable in the role but again not to be taken seriously and getting by on household names.

• Ah Ocean’s Eleven 2001 is bloody fantastic. That and Out of Sight (and maybe even Magic Mike) are peak Soderbergh cool - effortlessly slick and stylish in his utterly distinctive way.

12 is horrid, mind you. 13 was a solid cover version of the first, but 11 is just one of the most entertaining Hollywood heist movies (although a notch below the likes of The Red Circle or Rififi in the heist movie canon).

• Yeah, it's rare you can say something's swaggering style was entirely the point, as opposed to simply a shallow surface layer. As you say Johnny, effortlessly cool.

I would bat for Logan Lucky, even if Soderbergh lamp-shaded his own conceit when a character inside the story remarked about "Ocean's 7-Eleven"

• I watched Ocean's 12 recently enough and didn't hate it as much as I remembered hating it upon first viewing. The Julia Roberts things is actually excecuted well, Bruce Willis is a fun cameo, it just raises way too many questions about why the other characters don't look like their respective actors. It's nowhere near as good as 11 and it as clever as it thinks but the cast are all so effortlessly charming. It does feel very much like they all just wanted a trip to Europe.

• Paddington (2014):Rescued from a train station, Paddington Bear finds a haven with a London family -- until a taxidermist decides to add Paddington to her collection.

added

• A couple of good films just dropped. The firm(Tom cruise one) and the island

• I watched a dogs purpose with my two dogs beside me. I was not emotionally okay while watching it, hits you hard in the feels

• This Could Go Anywhere

6 episodes of a 3 week trip around New Zealand with ex New Zealand cricketer Brendan McCullum and ex England cricketer Phil Tufnell playing golf.

It really is an enjoyable watch. They do a lot of other activities, not just golf, but it really shows just how picturesque New Zealand is. Their friendship blossoms throughout the episodes as they chat about the ups and downs of cricket and life in general, mixed in with a nice mix of laughter.

Well worth the watch.

• Advertisement

• Really enjoyed Shiny Flakes. Very similar to How to sell Drugs online-fast. Presuming it’s a true story, but in any case filmed in a documentary style based on the story of a young German Guy who inadvertently became of the biggest drug dealers in the country. The pesentatuon, sales experience and the distribution process through the postal system was the atteaction for him rather than ego and all of the usual trapping. Its not gripping but very good.

Also watched Cocaine Cowboys which is an excellent documentary series chronicling the lives of Miami’s biggest drug dealers from the age of 20 up. It starts off as a bit of a Robin Hood story but then becomes clear that the lives of the two gentleman wasn’t friar Tuck and Little John but does give a fascinating insight into the characters in the court case, the connections between law enforcement and the conspirators and above all the human interests. Was an absolute nuts story but liked the Netflix interpretation.

Advertisement