Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Formula 1 2021 - General Discussion Thread (Read 1st post rules)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

This totally went past me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LyVFdszywTY

He was streaming on Twitch and was humming a silly song: "Latifi is poo, Rosberg is a cheat." It seems like someone commented in the stream about Latiffi (he reads the comment - "he's in F1, you're in F2") , prompting Dan to say "he's older than me, he paid to get there" and calls the commentor a "moron" and a "f-ing idiot" and then bans him from the stream.

YIKES.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

• Registered Users Posts: 1,972 ✭✭✭Pen Rua

He's now on Instagram saying the split was before his Latiffi incident.

"Hope to work together in the future !", lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

Another report said it was related to a complain from a member of the public.

His racing career has to be done now...surely?

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Cant see him keeping his F2 seat. It was Williams that got him that seat.

He was ridiculously lucky he ever got onto the F2 grid after his Safety Car stunt. But rather than knuckling down he shât everywhere.

He didnt have near enough talent to get away with his mouth. Red Bull even sent him to Asia to get the last few points he needed for his Super Licence. He duly boasted about how easy it would be for him to get the required points, he promptly failed to get the points. Red Bull sent him packing then.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,307 ✭✭✭✭Frank Bullitt

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

It's ok, it was Ricciardo holding up the start/finish straight with a 15 Second Penalty notice.

https://youtu.be/Ilk-Kwod7qg

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Ric has every reason not to like Lando. He's being made look a fool by Lando this year and even causing poepel to question his overall place in the pecking order. One season of this kind of one sided battle would be bad, but two seasons might be very damaging to his career. Even if it is just a failure o adapt to the Mclaren, inability to adapt to a car is a serious limitation in a driver and it means any other team that signs him, takes the risk that he will fail to adapt to their car too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

The appear to get along very well… the tweet being mentioned was quite clearly him joking with Lando

Fair one. I've never seen any antagonism between them. Just the lack of friendliness that was there between Noris and Sainz.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

• Registered Users Posts: 5,628 ✭✭✭Charlie-Bravo

Rule No. 1... Look for the d!ck joke. Can't believe I missed that 🤣

-. . ...- . .-. / --. --- -. -. .- / --. .. ...- . / -.-- --- ..- / ..- .--.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,796 ✭✭✭Hijpo

• Registered Users Posts: 2,667 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

F**k sake! I’ve seen the tweet and even posted about it and not once copped😂😂😂

• Registered Users Posts: 12,169 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Alonso has been getting faster all season, he's 40 years old but at this stage it looks like there's a good chance he'll still be around next year, which is fairly remarkable for this era of F1. Does anyone know if he has a contract with Alpine for next year? Him and Ocon seem to be a good duo.

It's hard to say he and ocon are a good team. At the start of the season. Ocon was fast and Alonso wasn't. Then they switched and Ocon went to shyte and Alonso was in the points. There have been very few races when they were both having decent weekends. They seem to get on, which is rare for Alonso, and there's no sign of Alonso destabilising the team, which is also rare but its early days.

I think alonso signed for 2 years but I presume there are performance clauses in Alonso's contract for next year. And he's probably meeting those clauses. He's getting to grips with the car and I doubt he's as fast as the past, but he's certainly not slow.

Do you think he would have been able to defend against Hamilton for even longer if he had more life in the tires?

Is it fair to say that performance wise you the merc would be streets ahead so it was all Alonso in that instance?

Any car would do better on fresher tyres. That's almost axiomatic.

It was all Alonso... at Hungary which, according to the BBC, the engineers estimated you needed almost a 2 second advantage in order to overtake.

It was a good performance by Alonso, no need to resort to hyperbole. It only weakens the point.

I wasn't referring to any one specific instance anyway. I was referring to his general improvement in quali and race pace.

That reads like you went straight into defense mode. Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to catch you out with anything, i just wondering what you thought about it.

But, like, under what circumstances would a driver not be able to defend more effectively with fresher tyres?

• Advertisement

I don't know how much the age of the tyres would offset the performance of the merc.

For instance if Alonso had tyres what were five laps younger would Hamilton still be favourite to pass him given the performance of the merc.

Maybe I'm not asking the question clearly.

I agree but I don't really get the point of your question. The merc is faster than the Alpine if that's what you're asking. I'd have said that's common knowledge.

I think you were making a round about argument that it was "all Alonso". And I agree alonso did well. I just disagree it was some kind of clear demonstration of anything dramatic.

Nope, not what I was getting at at all. I didn't follow F1 in Alonso's younger days so I'm not going to pretend I know what he's capable of or how close/far he is to his best.

I know the merc is faster than the Alpine. I suppose the point of my question was to see if the logic I had in my head was correct, that's why I asked if it was "fair to say" from my perspective, I wasn't trying to get you to agree with me.

Alonso is on older tires in a lesser car compared to Hamilton in a powerful car on younger tires.

How does he stay in front? Is it all down to him driving extremely well on old tyres. If the Alpine had younger tyres does Alonso hang on longer or is it inevitable that Hamilton passes him even if he had fresher tyres?

I'm not expecting a response to any of those questions. Just trying to convince you that I wasn't being hyperbolic or trying to entrap you into some opinion with some chicanery.

You are being hyperbolic. Or else you're not aware that Hungary is a track that's very hard to overtake. I already said that BBC reported that they needed a delta of near 2 seconds to overtake, you don't seem to acknowledge that point.

It's highly likely that a faster car will overtake a slower car given time. The fact that took time is credit to Alonso, but it's not "all alonso" because its a difficult track to overtake.

Alonso has improved over the season so far. But no single incident is the reason. Drivers can be on different strategies or at different stages of strategy. One can be saving newer tyres while the other is using their older tyres.

Well if he's down on performance and he's down on tyres then there is no advantage and the driver is all that's left, but I forgot to factor in the track itself.

Going by other posters and listening to commentators, yes, I am aware Hungary is a difficult track for over taking. I didn't feel the need to acknowledge the delta point. When you went off on one being fixated on the "all Alonso" wording, the posts afterwards were an attempt to explain why I asked the question and to dispel your accusation of me being hyperbolic and your paranoia of an attempt by me to make a round about argument about a driver I know nothing about.

If it puts your mind an ease I acknowledge the 2 second delta point.

Jeeeez......

As a new comer that reaction would put you off asking anything.

You asked a rhetorical question and struggled to take in any new information about the track... sounds like you're all set. Nothing more to learn about the sport.

AM has launched the appeal against the disqualification. They had 96 hours to do it and have decided to go ahead with the appeal. The rules say they can't do anything to the car, but they want special permission to replace the pump to pump out the remaining fuel that they say is in the tank.

It seems like a simple point but I think they should stick to the rules and not have every decision drawn out over weeks. The red bull appeal after Silverstone has been a bad influence. This appeal will presumably rumble on for another week too. I'd say they should impose the rules and just move on.

Great news for Williams if the appeal is unsuccessful. They will double their points from 4 to 8. Which is a pretty unassailable lead and would most likely guarantee them 8th in constructors.

• Registered Users Posts: 511 ✭✭✭Lawlesz

Your reaction to that poster is totally unnecessary and over the top, he was clearing asking a genuine question, you seemed to take umbrage with it, he tried explaining what he meant more clearly and you continued for three more replies with snarky comments about his original question. Not needed.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,301 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

Thats standard fare here. You'll get used to that posters "style".

The pre-race hot take shtick is always amusing.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Gary Scrod

Does boards have an 'ignore' feature?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement