Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

48.ie - Was 7.99/month - 100 GB, all calls, all texts, 10 GB EU data - [Now 10.99]

Comments

• Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 5,725 Mod ✭✭✭✭Quackster

Ten Pin wrote: »
    They'll probably send another mail at end of June saying account is inactive and that any credit will expire after another 3 months (6 months in total since last membership ended). The SIM will still work.
    But will the €7.99 plan still be available is the question.

Their emails seem to indicate that you have to buy another membership within three months of the expiry of your last membership, otherwise you'll no longer be able to avail of the €7.99 plan.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Quackster wrote: »

Their emails seem to indicate that you have to buy another membership within three months of the expiry of your last membership, otherwise you'll no longer be able to avail of the €7.99 plan.

That's what I thought by the way its worded, even though it says 6 months on their T+C.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭Ten Pin

After 3 months...yes

After 6 months...unknown yet

The email after 3 months seems more like a gentle push to buy a membership than a notification of losing legacy plan availability.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

mgn wrote: »
    I got the exact same email today.

Anyone left it longer that 3 months? or were the cut off.

6 days after receiving that email I received this:
    Your account is now inactive due to lack of use. Your 48 service will continue, but any credit you have will expire in 90 days.

Want to activate your account?
    You can make your account active again by activating a new monthly membership. If you need any help, let us know.
    The last time I bought membership was 1st Feb, my sim card is still active and the €7.99 membership is still available for me to buy.

• Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭3d4life

gooner99 wrote: »
    Roaming didn't work for me in the North last week either. What do I need to do?

Whenever I have had this it has been due to my phone using the wrong APN.
    Forcing it to use "48months.liffeytelecom.com" as the APN has fixed it.
    YMMV.

There is some info at

https://community.48.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/How-do-I-set-up-internet-on-my-Android-phone/td-p/30369

but it goes way back so beware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

3d4life wrote: »
    Whenever I have had this it has been due to my phone using the wrong APN.
    Forcing it to use "48months.liffeytelecom.com" as the APN has fixed it.
    YMMV.

There is some info at

https://community.48.ie/t5/Most-Popular-Questions/How-do-I-set-up-internet-on-my-Android-phone/td-p/30369

but it goes way back so beware
    When you change settings in your phone(that's if you have to)send 48 support an email before you travel to tell them you have changed your settings to the correct ones and ask that they look at your account and provide roaming as per their T&Cs

• Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

Was in the north the other day with my two kids both of which have 48, one with an iPhone and one with android. The only network either would connect to was O2-uk 3G or 2G. The O2 4G and all other networks failed to connect - no roaming agreements it would seem. The android phone also had the Tesco APN and wouldn’t data roam at all. Only found the problem and updated it since getting home, but the phone defaults back to Tesco which is annoying. At least it works fine at home but have to remember to manually change it next time he roams.

Anyone got experience with GoMo and 4G roaming in the uk? I was going to change to 48 myself but 3G only roaming on one fairly poor network in the uk isn’t good enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

BigMoose wrote: »
    Was in the north the other day with my two kids both of which have 48, one with an iPhone and one with android. The only network either would connect to was O2-uk 3G or 2G. The O2 4G and all other networks failed to connect - no roaming agreements it would seem. The android phone also had the Tesco APN and wouldn’t data roam at all. Only found the problem and updated it since getting home, but the phone defaults back to Tesco which is annoying. At least it works fine at home but have to remember to manually change it next time he roams.

Anyone got experience with GoMo and 4G roaming in the uk? I was going to change to 48 myself but 3G only roaming on one fairly poor network in the uk isn’t good enough.

Had the same but my settings were the correct ones all the way, I tweeted about it on day one and the answer I got was that I was using the fastest connection possible, which was H+. If it was a €40 or €50 per month price I'd be concerned, but at €7.99 it's a minor complaint. I'd be more concerned about what could happen on the continent, has anyone any experience in Spain or France etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Knockdrinner

ibFoxer wrote: »
    has anyone any experience in Spain or France etc?

I'm in Italy the past week. Best connection I've gotten is 3g in bigger towns and cities. In more remote areas I have e, whatever that means, which is very slow. Just about loads WhatsApp messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,455 ✭✭✭ibFoxer

I'm in Italy the past week. Best connection I've gotten is 3g in bigger towns and cities. In more remote areas I have e, whatever that means, which is very slow. Just about loads WhatsApp messages.

I'm thinking of switching to one of the other simo plans, but I have Gomo and am unimpressed up to now. Will check what 3 and Voda have to offer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭BigMoose

E is 2G "Edge". 2.5G I guess but yes, painfully slow and only really usable for text.

For 7.99, yes, 3G roaming is reasonable but it'd be nice if 48 were honest about what you get. We're paying 10.99 for ours, which 3G roaming still isn't bad but they don't advertise that's the case.

What's wrong with GoMo?

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ReturnOfThe

So ordered sim. Received it . Entered activation code and then when I enter my number to port, it simply says "msisdn already exists" and won't let me go any further. I used to have an account with 48months but that was 2 years ago. Connected to live chat and after about 15 minutes of repeating myself to operator they suggested selecting new number instead and then they would sort out the port..I just ended the chat then in frustration but was wondering if anyone else has the same problem ?

So ordered sim. Received it . Entered activation code and then when I enter my number to port, it simply says "msisdn already exists" and won't let me go any further. I used to have an account with 48months but that was 2 years ago. Connected to live chat and after about 15 minutes of repeating myself to operator they suggested selecting new number instead and then they would sort out the port..I just ended the chat then in frustration but was wondering if anyone else has the same problem ?
    Your old account probably still exists on their system. Either try registering your new account with a different email address or log into your old account and change the email address associated with that account so you can use your main email address with your new account.

Remember, if you have a Gmail address, just use your.name@gmail.com instead of yourname@gmail.com

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭IQO

Left 48.ie as EU roaming was simply non-existent.. best moment was getting a slow 2G connection.

Now moved to Virgin Media with their 12 months for 10 euro offer, let's see how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,162 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

Having a weird problem with 48 where phones sometimes won't ring on the receiving end even though it's ringing on the caller's phone. More annoying than that, the entire phone will freeze up occasionally when there is an incoming call. This freezing is happening on an S10+ and a Google Pixel 4. Think I'll have to switch.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,078 ✭✭✭spakman

Phone freezing wouldn't have anything to do with network.

But if it's not ringing (but is for caller), and there's no issue with the handset itself, it sounds like your number isn't ported across correctly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Just returned from a full outage of the three (which i use for broadband) and 48 networks. Lasted several hours. I mean it happened at night so it was inconvenient more than anything, but still annoying.

Have noticed 48 has started performing really poorly over the last few months. Signal dropping entirely in poor signal areas where previously it would fall back to H+. These drops can last for several minutes and sometimes need a airplane toggle to get the signal going again when back in 4G+ areas. Anybody else noticed a degradation in performance over the last while? I've also noticed the signal dropping in the north where there was pretty solid 4G/H+previously.

I know it's €8 a month but I still need it to work somewhat reliably. I'm tired of the signal dropping randomly for several minutes when I'm texting someone.

• Registered Users Posts: 547 ✭✭✭gerard2210

I left 48.ie because the signal kept dropping. It was great for a few weeks after signing up, and for 8 euro it was great value. Once the signal started dropping, I thought it might be a temporary problem, but it went on for a few weeks, i had to leave, It wasn't worth the hassle.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭Cork981

Yeah I and a few family members had the same issue and ended up leaving. Coverage was dropping is strong coverage areas in the City with strong 4G and 5G coverage. I'm guessing it's related to the Three RAN swap that is taking place. I'm guessing the handoff from legacy Samsung radio to the new Ericsson radios isn't working as well as it should. I don't see the issue Three for some reason though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,864 ✭✭✭Simi

Well whatever they did in their down time seems to have fixed the issue for now. I haven't had a drop out in two days 🤔

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 980 ✭✭✭Kenny Powers

Form 48's trouble shooting guide there is no 4G in the UK or EU I spent weeks on to support trying to get 4G up North they never once mentioned this kept telling me I need a new phone to get 4G. You get wet get you pay for.

- 4G service are not available while in the EU/UK however all other service should be made available to you where roaming areements are in place.

https://community.48.ie/t5/The-Knowledgebase/The-Roaming-Troubleshooting-Guide/ta-p/52179

• Registered Users Posts: 12,083 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I'm trying to pay my car insurance renewal on line.

A verification code is sent to my number to proceed with payment.

No code received even though it says sent.

Ive tried several now and still nothing.

Is this down to 48?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

I think some people had those problems in the past in this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,429 ✭✭✭✭Flinty997

Slowed to a crawl for me today.

Also I think I might be getting missed calls. Any one getting that

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Has anybody else had problems with 48 abroad? Mobile data and even calls not working properly.

Lanzarote with a Pixel 3a. Tried to manually change apn, that didn't work. Kept resetting to some proximus apn. Could receive calls but could not make calls. What a nightmare.

Spain/France same issue this time with a Huawei P20 pro. This time I brought a Vodafone sim which immediately upon topping up.

48 shows that I have the 10GB roaming data but still data refused to work. I had family who are on Three who had no issues.

Quite frankly it sucks that I have to bring backup sim cards just to make calls and use data.

These issues have definitely stopped me from reccomneding 48 to anyone.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭beachhead

Even with the correct roaming/internet settings you have no gaurantee with 48 of a full service abroad. I have been to the UK - I get a very weak G(whether it's 3 or 4)signal and sometimes I can send 3-4 texts before the entire signal drops i.e. nothing- no calls,texts,apps usage.That's how 48 compensate for 7.99 or 10.99 a month.That happens regularly not a one off or occasional,it's regular.Will prob change network when travel opens up again.

• Registered Users Posts: 520 ✭✭✭muffinhead

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭Boo_hoo

Thanks for the link! I will give it a shot but seems like an awful lot of hassle just to get what for everyone else just works. It seems to be against the EU's law that you should be able to use your phone as you would at home when abroad.

I had been advocating hard for 48 because I thought it was a great deal. I personally switched 6 people to the network and now I have to call them up and explain that they are basically useless when travelling outside of Ireland.

Like @beachhead said with travel opening up again I will probably look into a more reliable network.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭Chuck Noland

Heading too Tenerife next week. My normal 7.99 membership won’t allow me data or calls I assume? I had a look at the app but can’t see a roaming bundle? I’ve around 11€ also in my credit balance Will this just be deducted to allow me make calls?

• Advertisement

Tenerife is in the EEA so your membership will work as normal. Only issue is it can be fliddly getting data working as you need a different APN for roaming.

Advertisement