Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Relaxation of Restrictions, Part XII *Read OP For Mod Warnings*

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,478 ✭✭✭brickster69

I have heard some stupid things during this pandemic but that is the craziest. Pubs as well !

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

But I think restrictions are set to be discussed this month. I recall reading an article about it. And Jeffrey Donaldson said a few weeks ago that the North should move to making masks voluntary. It'll be interesting to see what happens there this month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,604 ✭✭✭Amadan Dubh

I'm going to repost my comment under the article as it still annoyed me that the IT published this ridiculous article which tried to argue that it was the virus not the response that was the problem.

Fluffy, empty, hollow piece. The pandemic is a health crisis for the elderly and vulnerable but a social crisis for the vast majority of the population who are categorically of little risk of needing hospitalisation from covid. It is just wrong the way the author has described the pandemic. Again, another example of someone within the hysterical covid bubble writing about covid and totally getting lost in lofty words and ignorance, failing to appreciate any nuance or context with respect to the pandemic and also the fact that restrictions are the issue for the vats majority of the population, not the virus.

This piece is a toxic attempt at gaslighting and, for me, I have no respect for the words in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,842 ✭✭✭Don't Chute!

It’s the small victories eh Charlie? Keep plugging away champ!

An evil man will burn his own nation to the ground to rule over the ashes - Sun Tzu

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38,157 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

• Registered Users Posts: 4,957 ✭✭✭kirk.

This covid thing is ridiculous

If the vaccines havent sorted it we need to get back to normal

1 year of this shlt is enough

😂😂

It's like going back to the rave scene of the 90's

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭GiftofGab

Received my 2nd dose today. Do you know when I can expect to get my cert for indoor dining?? Guessing I'll receive by email??

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,792 ✭✭✭mightyreds

I got mine by email at half 5 the next morning mine was in an MVC

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

Currently reading:

The Death of Humane Medicine and the Rise of Coercive Healthism (1994) by Petr Skrabanek.

Very good so far. Traces the origins of 'healthist' medical ideology, surveillance and other manifestations of coercive medicine.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

All these people who scream for a continuation of these measures never had a social life in the first place

this is the normal for them and they want it to stay

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

• Registered Users Posts: 17,797 ✭✭✭✭hatrickpatrick

Can I just ask why anyone who's happily had a jab anyway would object to a booster? The hassle would be a pain in the hole, sure, but I'm sensing something deeper than just logistical inconvenience in some of the more earnest posts against it.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,740 ✭✭✭hynesie08

Nothing to do with covid but I was in the cathouse once, it was the pubs birthday and he was handing out 50ml bottles of jack Daniels to all and sundry, then he sang a song called "hibs are bastards" to the tune of 500 miles, then I got stuck under a crowd barrier trying to grab a free hoodie.

One of the best nights of my life.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭crooked cockney villain

Given we already have so much Pfizer we have been jabbing teenagers, will this 700,000 in itself end up as a surplus?

Looks to me like anybody who wants a double jab will have it by early September. Yet there isn't even the slightest hint that nightclubs will open, or even that pubs will start to operate like pubs again (music, standing room, bar service)

I said this from the very start. In April or May 2020, back when every expert said a vaccine was at a minimum three years away, Simon Harris gave an interview to the Sunday Indo, behind a paywall of all things, stating that he believed it was unlikely that pubs would return until most of the population had been vaccinated. As health minister at the time he was more aware than anybody that this meant, at least, 2024 into 2025 according to the most optimistic projections at the time.

That one of the youngest members of the Dail could casually say that social life was probably going to be cancelled for three years, maybe longer, and sure that's life, tells you all you need to know about the man. I doubt he has ever been in a boozer in his life if it wasn't for the leaving do of some FG fossil or whoever.

There has been a certain evil behind much of what we have had foisted upon us. As I'll tell my kids, there was once a year when the government made having fun illegal, from pubs to playgrounds.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

If you're willing to show your barcode to get pints with a roof over your head your part or the problem.

New York about to try the Irish model. Difference is the kids are not allowed indoors

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,839 ✭✭✭mcsean2163

Looking forward to the permanent of restrictions, yesterday would be a good time for it.

However, very dispiriting to see all the complaining here. Hospital workers risked their lives in 2020 when little was known about the virus. The PPE was useless etc but they still went in and bravely did their best. I know one doctor that worked 24 DAYS in a row. They lined up to be the first to get vaccinated. If you think none of them had PTSD....

Anyone here complaining about restrictions and refusing to take the vaccine.... words fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,024 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Oh sure we'll never complain about anything in life ever again because some other people apparently have it worse..... ::eyerollemoji::

What choice do we have? If cases went to three per day we would still be held hostage to this 10 years from now until people finally relented and took the vaccine at a rate of 80- 90%. We tolerate the unknown from these vaccines because it surely can't be worse than what they already put us through for the last 18 months. Unless somebody has a viable plan for taking power and putting these people on trial, mass non compliance really is a non starter, the establishment will not be beaten.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,336 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

I was an essential worker, played my part and "risked my life" on the front line every day of this pandemic. I kept this country going in fact, far more than any work from home IT spoofer.

Am I allowed to complain about the pitiful excuse for governance in this country or is the line set at "23+ days sweating blood in an ICU?"

I assume it’s because we have been told vaccines are our way out of this, get vaccinated and get back to normal. Now only a few months later boosters are being potentially pushed, whilst the majority of us knew they would come I thought they would be a couple of years away. I suppose it just feels like we will all be getting vaccinated every 6 months whilst living under the same type of restrictions we have now, on that basis it’s easy to think, what’s the point?

Mass non-compliance from customers and businesses alike would bring the whole thing to a halt.

Other things you can do include writing to your local TD's and telling them that you do not, and will never consent to this new system. It's their job to serve us, not the other way around.

Sociopathic how the selfish older generation are happy to foist these restrictions onto the younger generations who did nothing but follow the restrictions to protect the older generations even though it was always the case that young people are and have always been at categorically little to no risk of getting seriously ill from covid. It seemed disproportionate to lock all of society down at the beginning but there were no protests. However, now that the older generations are vaccinated, there seems to be a big rush to reopen everything rather than just waiting a few more months to let all adults get vaccinated which is leading to this weird blame game that somehow the younger people are causing restrictions to be eased slowly and the spread of the Indian variant (which is just covid, pretty much the same covid as we've had circulating from the beginning, giving a positive PCR test result but not much else) being a reason to ease reopening. Its ludicrous and I genuinely feel most people have entirely lost the plot with covid but I don't understand how typically reasonable people got so OTT and hysterical about covid? Is it a twitter and Facebook thing where people spend hours each week on these platforms reading nothing but covid stories in their own algorithmic echo chamber?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,766 ✭✭✭growleaves

'Anyone here complaining about restrictions and refusing to take the vaccine.... words fail.'

My impression is that posters here are more concerned about willful use of the QR-code vaccine passport, which is separable from taking a vaccine.

It isn't true that taking vaccines will speed an end to restrictions though. Two things I've learned in the last year: one is that most people are not numerate, and the other is that most people don't know how to negotiate.

You gain concessions by refusal not by jumping through hoops. Even just there recently Macron had to make concessions on France's vaccine passport he didn't want to make because the protests were fiercer than he expected.

The Irish people have no leverage because aren't prepared to say 'No' to anything. So all that's left is to hope that the Government and NPHET get tired of restrictions and eventually drop them.

Yeah, I have to reject the argument that somehow vaccine numbers will lead to us getting rid of all restrictions. Where is the evidence that this will happen? It is not in any government or NPHET press release. It seems to be implied somehow and perhaps makes sense but there is no specific plan from official sources that more vaccines mean an end to all restrictions. Especially when the government is FF and FG, I think it is safer to err on the side of caution and not trust them. As such, I'll believe it when I see it when it comes to vaccines ending the restrictions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 459 ✭✭HerrKapitan

I've had two AZ vaccines. I don't know if I am going to be offered a booster of that. I'm not mixing vaccines. If they are not offering AZ as a booster I'm not getting any more.

Advertisement