Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

F1 2021 Round 11: Hungaroring

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Would Stroll still be in F1 if it wasn't for his father? I honestly don't think so

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,547 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

He wouldn't have gotten into F1 in the first place if he weren't a pay driver (whoever his sponsor is). And he wouldn't have gotten past his first year if he weren't a pay driver. But he has improved into an average driver who is having a very poor season this year.

There were those who were willing to say he's a top end driver when he was outperforming Vettel in the first few races. But they haven't needed to resort to that kind of guff since Vettel's performances have picked up. He's probably going to be in f1 for as long as his dad owns the team.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭quokula

This line really jumped out at me from Autosport's report on the Vettel disqualification (where the team still believe there is a litre of fuel in the car but just haven't been able to extract it)

teams can't take things apart – they can't even remove the engine cover. All they can do is put the car on stands of differing heights and tip it back and forwards in an effort to dislodge some fuel.

The rules are the rules, but what a completely arbitrary and nonsensical requirement to have. Stuff like this really makes the sport look very silly at times.

Interestingly the engineers at Aston Martin who would normally handle this task were already gone from the circuit before they knew there was an investigation as the red flag delays meant they were late for their flight home, so the investigation was conducted without them, which also seems pretty crazy.

The team are still adamant that the fuel is in there as all the measurement devices say it is, and it's simply a failure of the pump to extract it, but the FIA haven't allowed them to try another pump to get it out.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭quokula

He certainly wouldn't have lasted as long as he has, but with the experience under his belt he's matured into quite a good driver, probably in the top 50% on the grid at this stage. He's got one of the top drivers of the last decade as his team-mate and he hasn't been completely outclassed. Performed well relative to Perez last year too, who is also a first rate driver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭chicorytip

You comment "after what he did to Max". Come on! It was a racing incident. How can anybody claim he intended to injure an opponent. It was just unfortunate Max ended up in the barriers. Christian Horner, with his comments in the aftermath, comes out of all this looking like a fool. Even yesterday he kind of hinted - in a jocose fashion - that Bottas, with the tacit approval of Toto, might have deliberately caused the crash in order to ruin Red Bull's race.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,268 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Posts like this ruin discussion forums. Find anywhere in any of my posts where I claimed Hamilton intended to injure any of his opponents, ever. Why did you even bother quoting my post if you're just going to type some unrelated nonsense? I seem to remember Hamilton getting penalty for that "racing incident"? Did Max get one as well? I can't quite remember.... Only one person here looking like a fool.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,249 ✭✭✭✭flazio

Seriously? In the thread for the Hungarian Grand Prix we're back to that poxy little shunt in Silverstone. F*** sake.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

That's a real pot calling the kettle black kind of comment after this one by you shortly beforehand:

quokula11:25 amH

amilton is a compulsive liar, all he's done is said he "might" have long covid to the British media who have lapped it up. No doctor has diagnosed him with anything and he was happily bouncing around after winning the previous race by putting his competitor in hospital. Long covid doesn't suddenly appear 9 months later, coincidentally on a day when you performed poorly and had to do a bit of work for once.

He's just milking it and making excuses, maybe since covid impacts your sense of taste and smell it also impacts your ability to identify a dry track that was blatantly obvious to every other driver on the grid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,186 ✭✭✭McFly85

Horner did nothing of the sort - with yesterday he basically said thats racing and they’ve been incredibly unlucky. He did question(rightly IMO) the rules around engine replacements in the budget cap era when you get penalised for being a car that was crashed into.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Horner's reaction hasn't covered himself in glory, but you are chatting sh*te here again. He never said anything of the sort.

That's worse than the one or two who implied that Bottas actually crashed on purpose.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

That Bottas got a 5 place grid penalty would lead to tons of discussion I assume?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 282 ✭✭patsman07

Interesting to see Alonso's post race interviews-states in one here that Hamilton always complains...

"He always complains" - Fernando Alonso on Lewis Hamilton | #HungarianGP - YouTube

& that holding Hamilton up was also to help Max! Surprised he'd admit to that even if it was a personal motivation.

"It was important for MAX so I tried my best"-Fernando Alonso - YouTube

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,400 ✭✭✭sk8board

After silverstone, it was almost a given that the next GP would be underwhelming, especially a track like this being so difficult to pass - but wow, what a difference a damp track makes.

so many subplots going on across the order too, once the race settled down, all the way down to Schumacher and Verstappen. Ocon and vettel were separated by 1sec for about 55 laps and almost none of it was shown!

ditto for Russell, he defended against Riccardo and Verstappen within drs for the whole race and none of it was shown.

I’ve been rooting for Russell to get points for years, so at least now I can move on with my life :D

how long is 3 weeks …

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,292 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

Ridiculous that they are having a break.

We want more!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,161 ✭✭✭chicorytip

In a discussion forum you expect contributors to have differing opinions. I think Hamilton should not have been penalised. That was the consensus in the paddock among drivers, ex-drivers and team principals (excluding Red Bull). I would question the competence and qualifications of some of the stewards who adjudicate on these matters. Emmanuel Pirro and Tom Kristiensen have never even sat in an F1 car let alone raced. Derek Warwick, fair enough. At least he's been there,done that. Masi,also,is not a true racing guy unlike his predecessor.

Some more nonsense here trying to discredit those involved.

Emmanuel Pirro spent three seasons in F1 starting 40 grand prix, for starters.

Tom Kristensen has more than enough experience in motor racing to be able to contribute to calls like this, and is one of the best racers of all time outside of F1.

As for Masi not being a 'racing guy', what exactly is this based on? Masi was involved in racing when he was still in school.

What makes Whiting more of a 'true racing guy' than Masi, considering their backgrounds are equally similar?

That post was just a load of word vomit and quite frankly is complete and utter sh*te.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,929 ✭✭✭kksaints

Pirro was in F1 for 2 and a half seasons late 80s and early 90s.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,491 ✭✭✭Harika

Kristensen just tested F1 ...

Anyway, an apex is an apex wherever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

This would be my opinion also, every time I read this forum I start wanting Hamilton to win, its really quite pathetic the hatred some posters here have for him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

I was pleasantly surprised yesterday to discover that the race was being streamed live on the Sky Sports app. I'm abroad at the moment and didn't have anywhere to watch it. Im glad I got to see a great race! I really hope Vettel doesn't get DQd as he really did a great race. Fair play Icon and Sainz. And well done to Alpha Tauri for robbing that fastest lap point from Mercedes. It could count in the constructors' at the end.

I hate Lewis, but I have to say fair play to him for recovering something from the race after a fairly strange decision not to put before the start. On the long COVID issue, I did wonder yesterday if there was a bit of putting it on on the podium as those champagne bottles aren't that heavy and you'd think he'd celebrate Ocon's victory. He seemed well enough to run around and skip over barriers in Silverstone, but maybe at his age he is feeling it more after the adrenalin peaks. This break could sing in good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Coulthard called the leniency of the penalty as controversial IIRC

Webber said it was a soft penalty.

A lot of the current drivers won't say much controversial in these situations unless they are directly involved and lose out. I think if Leclerc or Lando were the ones taken to hospital they and their teams bosses would take a very different view

Also, Jenson Button said

"It's a difficult one," said Button, who raced in 306 Grands Prix. "Lewis was almost alongside him but that for me was not the most important part - it's that Max left enough room.

"But at that speed, it's very difficult on the inside to get around that corner.

"At the speed he was going, Lewis had to back out of it.

Mercedes' Lewis Hamilton argues Max Verstappen was too aggressive during the wheel-to-wheel battle in the opening stages of the British Grand Prix.

"He's misjudged the apex, which is completely fair enough because he's coming in at such a speed from an angle that he never has before. He has missed the apex, there wasn't enough room for two cars."

Button, who also competed in 17 British GPs, added: "It is unusual to put the nose in that corner. Normally you are ahead if you're going to make a move into that corner. That's just always been the way for me."

While marginal, Button said he understood the 10-second penalty for Hamilton.

"It's a difficult one to have a definitive answer on who was wrong," he stated. "I get the penalty for Lewis, because he was put someone in the wall.

"I think the awareness of Max Verstappen is fantastic, what he can do with the car, and I think that is beyond everyone else. I think that is the struggle when you're racing him."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,553 ✭✭✭murphyebass

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,029 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Fair enough question. If an opponent is judged to have caused an accident in which an engine is damaged then that damage should be allowed to be repaired. I don't think anyone would disagree with that.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 725 ✭✭✭tigerboon

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,298 ✭✭✭Widdensushi

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,505 ✭✭✭Killinator

Mr Le Mans? What would he know about racing....😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

gotta love when this doozy gets rolled out just because other people dont have the same appetite to sh1te on another person every single day,what's the point of it though?to get people to stop debating or giving their opinion so you can have a nice little anti-Hamilton echo chamber?

As a "fANboY" of the sport and not any particular team or driver i find it weird as fcuk!

I just don’t like hypocrites and whingers. Does it not bother you when he shunts Max off the track and then 2 weeks later he’s crying on the radio about Alonso making dangerous moves in corners when Alonso’s defence was perfectly legitimate? It’s just one example.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 235 ✭✭Ultimate Gowlbag

But they all do it,they all cry and moan at the top of every single sport to get any kind of edge...do i like it? No!!

Am I going to jump on a bandwagon against one driver because his messages get aired more than anyone elses on his home broadcaster station...also No!!

Who is a hypocrite and a whinger?

I’ve made it very clear in the past that Hamilton is a thoroughly unlikeable person but people here still find ways to actually make up sh*t about him. And the same people who like to sh*t on Hamilton on a weekly basis say nothing. Take the moron who said he was making up feeling ill and that it was all for show. All of those who despise Hamilton completely silent on it because they, as was previously pointed out, want this anti-Hamilton echo chamber where anybody who disagrees is dismissed as a ‘fanboy’ and all the sheep throw in likes and lols.

Who exactly is a hypocrite and whinger now? How do you feel about the one poster who is constantly allowed to get away with spouting complete and utter lies based on pure hatred for someone? You have been completely silent on that yet you think arbitrary nonsense like what Hamilton says on the radio is more important.

There is an unhealthy hatred for him on here and as was said earlier, it’s hard to believe any of them a fully-grown adults.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,916 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

It's also amazing how Mercedes, who have the choice of any driver on the grid, have stuck with Lewis for so long if he is so unlikeable, whinger etc. People seem to forget all the moaning from all the other great drivers over the years.

"By being a racing driver means you are racing with other people. And if you no longer go for a gap that exists, you are no longer a racing driver because we are competing, we are competing to win." Ayrton Senna.

I find him very unlikeable but I acknowledge that he's a good driver. I dislike him but I can't just go along with any old criticism of him. I don't like defending him but I can't watch people suggest nonsense like the idea that he knew he would likely put Max in hospital in Silverstone or he's making up long Covid - he's not a doctor and people make medical pronouncements all the time. I have a friend who calls every cold he gets the flu. And some people call headaches a migraine.

When I heard Lewis say he might have long covid, I didn't get furious and make up story around it. I just presumed he was talking as a lay person, like everyone else who isn't an expert.

He's not a likeable guy. There's plenty in reality to dislike about him so couldn't we just keep the criticism of him based in reality?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 739 ✭✭✭barryribs

Exactly this. One of the greatest drivers of all time, just extremely unlikeable and compounded by the british media worshipping him at every available opportunity.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,205 ✭✭✭cruizer101

Mercedes dominance over the past number of years also hasn't helped. People like to see competition and when one team dominates with no others in reasonable contention it will lead to dislike towards that team and Hamilton is a fundamental part of Mercedes. People like the underdog and he hasn't been an underdog in a long time.

• Advertisement

Definitely agree with this - this season RB have emerged as a genuine contender to Mercedes, and the last 2 races have brought a lot of frustration out on people who want a good title fight. Everyone I know who watches looks forward every race to Max v Lewis, and the last 2 races that's been taken away from us by Merc errors.

If the same thing happened last season, there wouldn't have been nearly the same amount of vitriol, because it wouldn't have mattered in the grand scheme of things.

People claim to want to see competition but also want to see Red Bull and Max win every race this season. That’s perfectly normal to want them to break the Mercedes dominance but I would hazard a guess that most people would be very happy with a Max 1, Hamilton 2 every race.

Thats not a competitive season, it’s a dominant one.

I want to see max win each individual race because i think Mercedes has a track record of identifying and solving problems so they will get back on track and win plenty of races this season. They looked better in Silverstone and Hungary than they looked in previous races so they might have closed the gap or taken the lead again. I also think Red bull has less good reliability than Mercedes.

So for both of those reasons, I think Max needs to win lots of races as Mercedes will almost certainly win lots too. I wan to see max win the championship this year, but i want it to be competitive.

I want Max to win the Drivers championship so I guess that’s true, I would like to see him win every race, but I don’t expect that to happen - so each race I’m hoping that there’s a good battle between the two at least - if nothing else, it’s interesting to see Hamilton in a position he’s not used to.

so it’s incredibly annoying when that’s out the window from lap 1!

That I can agree with you. I think it’s normal to want (even if unintentionally) a certain driver to win every race.

I just want Gasly to win all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,010 ✭✭✭PsychoPete

Wasn't it only 2 years ago when one of the ferraris hit one of the mercs and Hamilton said something a long the lines of a ten second penalty isn't fair but I don't really have a problem with Hamiltons complaining as all the drivers do it whether they are right or wrong. He does take it a bit far tho. Hopefully we are in for a good battle between Max and Lewis for the rest of the season

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,868 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭zom

Schumacher was a master of dirty tricks and now Lewis takes after him...

Yeah he's a hypocrit which isn't unique amongst f1 drivers. I don't necessarily think that's a bad thing in a sportsman. It's not a likeable trait in a person but that kind of unconscious double-think is really useful to a top end sports person. The other side of it is that he might be fully aware of his hypocrisy and just treat it as total war on his opponents (get the fans against them, prejudice the stewarts, the FIA and anyone else who might listen). I don't claim to know which one it is and it doesn't really matter. It's just sport, not real life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,812 ✭✭✭Captain_Crash

I think most drivers would think this. Ham has been vocal on a number of occasions in the past about the severity of penalties. Now that he’s benefitted from it he’s being quiet about it but I don’t think that’s any different to any other driver on the grid. Same can be said for red flags, which he’s hugely benefitted from twice this season already but again, I’d guess all drivers think the same in private.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,790 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

France 2018. Vettel got a 5 second penalty for hitting Bottas. Lewis complained saying if you take a guy out you shouldn't be allowed to finish ahead of him.

Two weeks after that Kimi got a 10 second penalty for hitting Lewis. The below was a comment from Toto about the penaltys

---------‐------------------------------------------------‐-----------------------------------------

"I think there is consistency on the penalties," said Mercedes' team principal. "They are what they are and there's a certain arsenal of penalties the stewards have available - a five-second penalty, a 10-second penalty or a drive-through and then they look at the precedents.

"What we need to discuss among all of us is if certain incidents occur and they have a massive outcome in terms of what's happening maybe around the race win and what the consequences would be, that's a different story.

----‐---------------------------------------------‐-----------------------------------------

This is true also but at the same time everyone is in it to win so can you really blame Lewis and Mercedes

Jesus relax a bit will you. I never said he punted Max on purpose and I never said he was faking long COVID. If I haven’t called out the people posting that nonsense it’s because they are morons and are best ignored. Doesn’t detract from the fact the he is a whiny hypocrite.

Never said you did, but you will ignore those who do.

It’s your prerogative but it’s a fact that every race there is sh*t made up about him, and nobody who actively dislikes Hamilton will say a word while some (not necessarily you) will instead call those who do call it out ‘fanboys’.

It’s extremely irritating trying to have any conversation here without other bitching and moaning about Hamilton giving out on the radio when everyone else does the same thing. The same people laugh when Kimi does it, for example.

Well to be honest, the first mention of it in this thread was when Hamilton was crying on the radio during the race, multiple people commented on it spontaneously, maybe if he didn't do that so often it wouldn't be such a frequent topic of discussion?

Kimi getting angry on the radio for usually a good reason, and Hamilton whining because the guy in front of him is defending too hard is an apples and oranges comparison and if you think it's the same you're biased (you seem to be a bit)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭Hijpo

Kimi is hilarious though, he can go from calm to anger and back to calm in 0.8 seconds

• Advertisement
Advertisement