Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona/Ioniq38 battery replacement

Options

Comments

Update - Father's car returned with a new battery yesterday after 100 days @ Hyundai Ireland. Happy enough to have it back.

I imagine that the rental car (EV Kona too) cost must have been €3k+!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,224 ✭✭✭Kramer

100 days! That seems like terrible logistics from Hyundai. Why couldn't they have had the replacement battery ready to go?

It's also likely the Kona you had was on the older, "unsafe" battery for those 100 days 🤔.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,300 ✭✭✭✭ted1

It’s costing the battery supplier money(70%( , not just Hyundai (30%)

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭eclipsechaser

Dropped the Kona off for a service a few days ago. They said the replacement battery is expected in September.

I was surprised to see the car range at 485km today after I charged it last night. Turns out that when they did the software update, it changed the 90% limit back to 100%. You'd think the people doing the service would be putting them to 90% during the service automatically since that was the only piece of advice on the recall letter.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,016 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Our car has received it's replacement battery (last Thursday) and is due back to us this week after a trip to the body shop for some damage sustained in transit. It'll be 7 weeks on Thursday since it 'sat down'.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭willthiswork

I emailed Hyundai asking when I should expect my new battery and got this response today:

We have started receiving batteries into the UK and will be communicating with the Dealer Network from the middle to end of September regarding supply to each dealer for their customers. Your "Selling" and or service nominated Dealer will then start to book customers into their diary from mid-October and throughout 2021. A courtesy EV will be provided whilst the replacement battery is being fitted and the repair will take approximately 2/3 days.

• Registered Users Posts: 64,886 ✭✭✭✭unkel

If they are clever they will give you a courtesy Ioniq 5, that would tempt you to upgrade. Tesla always give you a newer / better loaner car than your own. Smart business.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

I see an a Kona owner on Facebook today saying his recalled battery now will not be replaced, instead he was told a software update would be good enough for the dealer. Naturally owner not happy as he was told it would be replaced in the past. Anyone know similar? It says "in some cases" software will "fix" battery

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

There is no official recall related to the first letter in Ireland. Form oficial POV is not a major defect. I found them in US and UK and posted here at the time. There is one on the EU database but IE is not listed as the country where the recall is active

On some forums people claim that the new software limits the SoC to 90% and displays it as 100%. That can be verified and challenged.

Are they going the Zafira route? Possible but it may backfire badly if another incident occurs.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

It’s an interesting one. I have a feeling we’ll see a few more twists to this story. Will a Kona without a replacement battery lose more value on the market compared to a freshly replaced unit. Does the owner have the right to demand a replacement battery if Hyundai deem it unnecessary but the owner wants it replaced.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭sean72

who is supplying the batteries on the new Konas?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,590 ✭✭✭zg3409

Lg chem replaced by LG chem. I think newer Hyundai EVs are using different supplier for their batteries, as in all new models

• Registered Users Posts: 6,735 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Talking to my local dealer, they said that the battery replacent is due to start this month, but that the logistics are challenging.

The whole replacement takes about 5hrs in total, previous delays may have been around the availability of qualified HV engineers and battery availability.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Irish Kona batteries have been replaced since around March this year so they’ve very much already started

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

They mentioned having only replaced batteries in vehicles which had failed. Maybe there are different replacement programs running?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭spakman

I got a letter months ago saying battery replacements would be happening and they'd be in touch, but I haven't heard anything since.

Ours was recalled and proactively replaced whilst there was no issue, March I think

What way are they prioritising/calling people for replacements I wonder? My car is Jan 2019 so would have thought I'd be done by now if they were doing older first.

That's down to the service-department to work out. As far as I could understand they have been allotted their customer-lists of affected units and number and delivery dates of batteries. From there they'll have to contact customers and work out a schedule while trying to balance availability of the HV engineer, replacement vehicles, COVID and other factors.

If you have a genuine reason for prioritising your replacement, a friendly call to the service-manager would go a long way, I'd expect. Just don't take my slot. ;)

Has anyone else been having trouble with their battery range reducing? I was in Belfast one weekend, charged up at junction 14 and got all the way home to Cork on that charge. Then 2 weeks later I did the same journey and had to recharge in Fermoy! Now the first week I was stuck in All Ireland traffic so I figured my foot was a bit heavier on the second trip. So, the next time I was coming from Dublin I made sure I stayed around the 120 mark but I still had to recharge in Fermoy. Is this a battery issue or a me issue?!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Very warm on the first day, a bit damp and cooler on the days I had to recharge.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,155 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

That's probably the reason you needed an extra charge. You should see the reverse start happening in mid to late spring again.

Rain seems to add about 5% to the consumption. But don't forget about added weight as it usually adds around 0.5kWh per 100kg per 100km. That adds up when you have three adults, etc.

I did a similar journey with a roof-box and rain and with 4 people - while ABRP estimated about 60kWh required for a "standard" car on a dry day, it actually took ~85kW due to the rain and roofbox and weight.

Winter will add up to 30% reduction in Range versus high "Summer", especially if doing short journeys and the inherent EV "departure tax" of high initial battery usage

Oh wow, that's really interesting. When I bought the car I thought I'd have a ~300km range (they said 312 but I figured that was in optimal conditions) but with the 90% limit and random elements I seem to be lucky to get 250km!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,105 ✭✭✭innrain

The Kona was in for the yearly warranty wash today. They have performed a software "recall" and told me that the battery needs to be replaced. The battery will be ordered by Hyundai IE (apparently from Korea) then they will book it for replacement which would take about two days, time for which I would be given a similar Kona. I have a little ODBC thingy I use to communicate with the car and normally a software upgrade would reset the cumulative energy charged/discharged counter. This time it didn't which make me speculate it was a simple validation of the battery. A mate of mine who has an identical car bought on the same day with me had to get his car booked for the software "recall" and they will not speculate if the battery would need to be replaced. I bet it will be though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

I was booked in for an "inspection" of my battery tomorrow, I'm told they will decide then if a replacement is required.

Did you book the inspection or did they contact you?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,956 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Advertisement