Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Hyundai Kona/Ioniq38 battery replacement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

Well no replacement, they just did a software update to a newer/second version of the battery monitoring logic and that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭innrain

Interesting. I had to ask they wouldn't give me this information upfront. I already paid and asked the guy "btw what is the story with the battery?" he went and asked someone else who came to me and told about the replacement procedure and all that. Ir your car early 2019?

I have noticed that after the update the car is starting with the same screen on the right hand side and not saving the one I choose. I didn't have time to explore maybe there is a new setting for default screen or something. It is starting with the consumption info screen which I don't use

A mate of mine who has an identical car bought on the same day with me had to get his car booked for the software "recall" and they will not speculate if the battery would need to be replaced. I bet it will be though.

Battery replacement confirmed for him as well. They wouldn't give any date so probably well into next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭Ballylad

After the AA left Kona in garage on 28th dec with “check electrical vehicle system fault”, just found out battery needs replacement, no timeline on when it will be available, replacement electric car will be provided by Hyundai Ireland until fixed.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 oceanfroggie

Sorry to hear. Our HV battery was replaced by Hyundai Ireland in 48hrs, and they provided a replacement BEV while the work was being done. Impressed Hyundai honoured their warranty with this safety recall and global battery replacement programme.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 38 oceanfroggie

Hyundai replaced the entire HV battery pack in our Kona EV last September. It took only 48hrs and they provided a replacement courtesy car for the duration. Got a letter from them early last summer so I followed up with persistent emails and was then was contacted direct by Hyundai Ireland who booked date for the battery replacement via dealer, but I understand the work was done by Hyundai Ireland at their HQ. Hyundai by their actions were an honourable company unlike the dishonest diesel gate fraud that VW screwed us with on our 2.0 TDI's drop in value.

PS: Prior to the letter the car had been back to the dealer 3 times for inspection and battery BMS software updates.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,567 ✭✭✭zg3409

Honourable and good, but for some owners they did not replace battery unlike was originally announced. I for one would not buy a used model that did not have it's battery replaced so those owners are left with an inferior car with no compensation. It sounds like to cut costs they are only replacing certain batteries, hoping, that the others won't go on fire. It's s risk reward decision based on some data we don't have access to, but for those who don't get a new battery it sounds like they are taking the risk, not Hyundai, both in terms of safety and resale value.

I know recalls happen all the time and the risk of death is nearly zero, but still...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,954 ✭✭✭mp3guy

You've hit the nail on the head there, exactly why I offloaded my Kona as soon as I found out they were being picky about replacing the HV battery.

we got this yesterday

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,697 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Got same letter too, new battery ahoy! FYI SOH on 191 64kWh pack was 97% at January Service this year

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

• Advertisement

Mine is at 100% SOH (allegedly) and just reached 55k km also 191 64kWh. The first 45k km rapid charging only. I'm getting 410+ km at 90% on GOM. I wonder if the new battery would do the same.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

Had my battery replaced last week.

My GOM hadn't been teaching 400km on 100% on recent charges which I thought was down to colder weather and my driving style!

But when battery was replaced and garage charged to 100% it was at 410km.

You need to run battery down to below 10% and back up to 100% a few times for the BMS to learn the real capacity of each cell and thus estimate the range accurately. It's unlikely the new battery has been a few flat to full cycles yet, also the range is based on recent trip efficiency and that is probably reset with new battery too. I would not too hung up on range displayed, actual range is very dependant on driving speed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭cunnifferous

Hi planning on buying a second hand 191 Kona. The battery hasn't been replaced. Will it be replaced in future or what is the story?

Just read post #100, they are replacing them for free

Cheers wasn't sure if everyone was definitely getting the recall

No that's not correct. In some cases after saying they would replace it they are now saying a software update is ok. I would be worried buying one not yet replaced as there would be doubt and the battery would not be new like similar cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Is there any way to confirm if a battery swap has been done? thinking of buying a used Kona

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭spakman

I was wondering that myself from the perspective on selling it on.

I didn't get any cert or anything to state that the battery was replaced. Its listed on the invoice alright, but not sure how much weight can be applied to that.

Ask Hyundai Ireland to confirm that the battery was replaced due to recall. That should hold better.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭silver_sky

Is there a label or serial number or such visible on the pack?

My Zoe has a label visible close to the sill on one side of the pack.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Are 38kWh Ioniqs getting their batteries replaced too? For free?

Enquire with Hyundai Ireland, they asked me to check with my local dealer (Kona) and upon inspection they (local dealer) said battery is for replacement

It's in the title of the thread, yes, if they deem it necessary and if it's from the impacted batch. Note these are different from 28kWh ioniq. The 38kWh is liquid cooled and very similar to smaller Kona battery in terms of size, voltage and charging rates.

• Moderators Posts: 12,363 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

Cheers. Just didn't see many recent comments about the Ioniq getting replaced. Good to know.

Just got a call from HY dealer today. I have a new battery waiting for my Kona. Probably next week although I'm hesitant. Nearly 60k km driven and reported SH 100% Would the new battery be as good?. Time will tell.

Hyundai typically report "100% health" as they have a hidden maybe 5% buffer that may or may not be used up.

The new battery will be new. It may or may not charge quicker or slower, depending on how they try protect it, and it will give confidence to future owners that battery has zero miles, and that any possible tiny fire risk has been removed.

Just days from 3 years anniversary and 56.2k km driven I got the battery replacement. I left the car with the dealer yesterday morning and by 5:30 pm was ready to go. Really surprised to see. Had a 211 Kona for the day. I see no big difference in estimated range 460 vs 462km . I think the battery came per-charged as EV notify report no charging yet

I asked for a document to prove the replacement and initially they said it is going to be in the system but then they filled a "Warranty statement" form stating of what they did. I'll do a discharge to about 5% and them a full charge probably over the weekend to measure the capacity.

I just bought a second hand 191 Kona and they seem to be replacing the battery with no quibbles. They told me it will be a month or two before they have it in stock but there was no question of trying software updates or anything.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭al2009

Is there anywhere to check vin number to see if car is affected for this recall?

Advertisement