Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hyundai Kona/Ioniq38 battery replacement

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,786 ✭✭✭Old diesel

Ive seen 3 people on IEVOA facebook that have had or need a battery replacement.

Plus there was a Kona on done deal with a replacement battery on it.

I suspect whats happening is that the initial software "fix" for the fires is picking up issues (which was the whole idea of it in first place).

Hopefully replacement batteries will do better

Edit - missed Innrains post :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,085 ✭✭✭innrain

UK Recall
    https://www.check-vehicle-recalls.service.gov.uk/recall-type/vehicle/make/HYUNDAI/model/KONA%20EV/year/2019/recalls

Less details than the US one but the same recommendation to limit the SoC followed by complete replacement.

Should have updated on this.

After having the car with Hyundai Ireland for 2 weeks last time, they said they replaced any problematic battery modules and fault should not reappear.

Famous last words!

Car charged overnight 2 weeks ago and when Dad got to it in the morning same error was back. Unable to start the car - big dead lump on the driveway.
    Car back with Hyundai Ireland since then, apparently having full battery replacement, we're yet to hear of a date when we should see it back.

Loaner car same spec so Dad not too concerned, however does mean that anyone who thinks that their car has been sorted may need to think again.

One month update - still driving loaner Kona. Car with Hyundai Ireland. Updates and info have been s....p....a.....r.....s......e

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,678 Mod ✭✭✭✭slave1

Kona battery replacement already begun in Ireland, takes about three weeks

My stuff for sale on Adverts inc. outdoor furniture, roof box and EDDI

My Active Ads (adverts.ie)

slave1 wrote: »

Not my fathers' experience!

• Advertisement

Began for those that failed or is a open wide campaign? I can't see anything publicly available.

Not my fathers' experience!

Unlucky so, our Kona was three weeks getting replacement

innrain wrote: »
    Began for those that failed or is a open wide campaign? I can't see anything publicly available.

No idea, contact was made, car taken away, car returned, from what they said it was the first replacement in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 6,646 ✭✭✭10-10-20

Unlucky so, our Kona was three weeks getting replacement

Three weeks after a fault specifically, or three weeks after being proactively called in?
    And what was the loaner car? Kona Petrol?

10-10-20 wrote: »
    Three weeks after a fault specifically, or three weeks after being proactively called in?
    And what was the loaner car? Kona Petrol?

Proactively, didn't need loaner as had just bought it so had "spare" car

• Advertisement

Pardon my line of questioning here, but... you were proactively called for a battery replacement and that replacement took three weeks to what, import, prepare and install the battery...? Was there an indication of the reason for the duration?

I'm simply aghast at a duration of three weeks for a modular replacement. This thing, while heavy, isn't like it's not on the workshop manual! Were they so unprepared that they had to wait for a new battery to ship from Korea after checking in your car?? Is three weeks the expected duration for all swaps???

Pardon my line of questioning here, but... you were proactively called for a battery replacement and that replacement took three weeks to what, import, prepare and install the battery...? Was there an indication of the reason for the duration?

I'm simply aghast at a duration of three weeks for a modular replacement. This thing, while heavy, isn't like it's not on the workshop manual! Were they so unprepared that they had to wait for a new battery to ship from Korea after checking in your car?? Is three weeks the expected duration for all swaps???

THIS.....

Leaf battery swops can be done a lot quicker - as in 1 day should do it

Tesla swaps are 7minutes, the real time however is diagnosing the battery needs replacing and then waiting on parts, there is also a lot of testing afterwards

Tesla swaps are 7minutes, the real time however is diagnosing the battery needs replacing and then waiting on parts, there is also a lot of testing afterwards

Very true....

However i thought the poster was saying their car was called in by Hyundai as per recall.

So the swop is already pre planned and youd think the battery would be there waiting for the car.

I thought Hyundai were just going straight for replacement for the latest recall

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

Old diesel wrote: »
    Very true....

However i thought the poster was saying their car was called in by Hyundai as per recall.

So the swop is already pre planned and youd think the battery would be there waiting for the car.

I thought Hyundai were just going straight for replacement for the latest recall

I suspect if this was first one they may have needed UK expert on site and to train up mechanics from other dealerships on how to do this. They are possibly stripping down entire battery into individual cells and replacing every cell and keeping the same wiring and enclosure. As mentioned by someone they then need to charge and discharge the cells and balance and test them. It might be possible to this in a day, but not at your first attempt. These batteries also have coolant piping which may need to be drained and disconnected from every cell. Ideally they would have a pack preprepared from another car, and swap out in a day and have this pack pretested in a central expert site. I know I would prefer they return the car full and fully tested through a few charge discharge cycles so the car re-learns the best estimated range.

I see on FB someone saying their car didn't start and he was notified that a battery replacement will happen. 3 weeks estimated and Kona 211 provided for the period. Maybe they do it in the UK? SK?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,560 ✭✭✭zg3409

555637.jpg

This was posted today to Facebook. From Hyundai Ireland. Posted to an owner.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Smee_Again

I got the same along with instructions on how to limit the battery to 90%.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Was that for an Ioniq or Kona do you know?

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Was that for an Ioniq or Kona do you know?

Kona.

• Advertisement

Hilariously, Enterprise, who are supplying the loaner Kona whilst my father's is sorted (we have it almost two months now) called on Wednesday to schedule a visit out to the house to limit the charge as detailed above.

Would be somewhat impressive/disappointing if the loaner succumbed to same issue!

Anybody know if all of the letters have gone out yet? We still didn't get ours.
    Are all of the Irish vehicles using the LG pack, or were some from that other unaffected manufacturer?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 11,992 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

We bought a 191 Kona 5 weeks ago, we haven't received a letter but our car is already in the garage after the fault appeared last week :/

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cork EV

Got my letter today for a 2020 Ioniq, no offer of compensation that was offered to other european owners.

Cork EV wrote: »
    Got my letter today for a 2020 Ioniq, no offer of compensation that was offered to other european owners.

Have you a link to the European compensation details? I googled it but couldn't find anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Cork EV

It was posted on the forum website

ioniqforum.com

Because i cant post links yet have a look under the ev section and look for battery recall and you will see that hyundai are giving credit on their charge card which is not available in Ireland.

Anybody know if all of the letters have gone out yet? We still didn't get ours.
    Are all of the Irish vehicles using the LG pack, or were some from that other unaffected manufacturer?

Ignore this, mine arrived today.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭BigAl81

Got the letter today. 38kWh Ioniq, full battery replacement!!

The letter said limit charging to 90% for now, and at some as yet undetermined date in the future, the battery will be replaced!

Wonder how range of the new battery will compare and how this might affect resale values!?

Range would be the same surely unless your current battery has degraded some.

I'm curious about the resale value though, I've about 75,000kms on my Kona so I'm fairly happy with a new battery.- I bought the car because I was going to be doing big mileage but now with WFH that will probably not be the case.

I'm curious what others think?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭Irishjg

BigAl81 wrote: »
    Got the letter today. 38kWh Ioniq, full battery replacement!!

The letter said limit charging to 90% for now, and at some as yet undetermined date in the future, the battery will be replaced!

Wonder how range of the new battery will compare and how this might affect resale values!?

It’s a very good question to ask. The battery replacement is costing a huge amount of money. I suspect Hyundai will want those new batteries to be protected. They may hold back some of the availability at the bottom or top end of the battery. So if you charge to 100% it may be only 80% in reality even though the GOM is telling you the car is charged to 100%. Also you may find a tapered charging curve compared to the original battery.

Advertisement