Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2020 officially saw a record number of $1 billion weather and climate disasters.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Just because I've nothing better to do I went back and looked at the total winter rainfall for 5 long-term and uninterrupted stations over the past 3 climate averaging periods. Not a consistent picture. One station (Casement) is on a definite downward trend while others show an up-down or an up-up. Still not the alleged 6% increase that Met Éireann say we've had.

Crap chart done on my phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

"Where will those people want to come to? Europe".

You say this as if it was a bad thing. Europe is a big continent, it can more than accommodate peoples from other lands.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 22,231 ✭✭✭✭Akrasia

Sorry to break it to you but despite its documentary style, This is Spinal Tap was actually a fictional comedy

in the real world the Met office are not sitting there drooling at the idea of more retweet’s on Twitter as more people die from heat stress

their objective is to warn people that they need to take extraordinary measures in extreme heat so that fewer people will die.

"Sorry to break it to you but despite its documentary style, This is Spinal Tap was actually a fictional comedy"

Jeez, I never knew that...

The idea of things really goes over your head, doesn't it?

New Moon

One of the emerging patterns of climate change is oscillating extremes in both rainfall and drought

if you have a month of drought with a months worth of rain on the last day, then statistically this month has ‘average rainfall’

looking at climate averages is fine in a stable climate, were not in a stable climate anymore

The UK last year had extreme flooding, extreme storms and extreme heat in the same year

https://rmets.onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/joc.7285

it was both hotter and wetter, with extended periods of lower than average rainfall mixed with short duration high intensity rainfall and months where rainfall was way higher than normal (wettest February on record, followed by sunniest Spring on record)

vicious heatwave with 6 consecutive days above 34c, this is projected to become normal summer weather with UK extremes being closer to 40c in the coming decades

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

I didn't say it was a bad thing, not sure how you thought I did either. I said certain politicians will use it to their advantage saying Europe will be overrun. Look at the UK and how segments of their society portray the channel crossings/Syrian refugees or the US Southern border now magnify that 100 times with the rhetoric if this comes to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,328 ✭✭✭Banana Republic 1

Where are you getting this information from, have you a mole on the inside of boards.ie or is this some kind of special conspiracy theorist telepathic abilities.

Maybe just go back under the rock from which you came.

You are a fraud and a troll. The recent 'G'-Gate debacle was enough to confirm that. You sought to make a big deal out of so little in order to smear and cause chaos. And all without you offering any sort of substance.. at all... to this thread.

But by all means, feel free to report this post too. You humourless tattle-tale.

New Moon

Politicians have always took advantage of situations to bolster their popularity and power, so nothing will change in that regard at all.

New Moon

• Advertisement

Firstly I don’t feel the need to explain myself to the likes of you. Secondly you aligned yourself with the conspiracy theorist and holocaust denier David Icke . You convicted yourself there I my opinion.

You have also flip flopped on a number of things, on page 26 you declared to everyone that you where done with this tread and stormed off, in what seemed to me as nothing but an attention seeking exercise only then to promptly returned spewing all sorts. Just a while ago you declared that people should no longer engage with me only to flip flop on this yourself.

Your the one that offers little substance to this, spouting off things like “science caused climate change” who practises science, dolphins!. No humans do therefore by your logic humans caused climate change. Or the other conspiracy, that covid is actually a weapon of war and the scientists who “developed” it are guilty of genocide, a claim that you have not backed up with one shred of evidence.

Stop going off half cocked for goodness sake.

Yep, a pure troll. Amazing how elaborate you become when trying to stir up shite. Makes a change I suppose from your all too often repeated, yet equally all too meaningless one-liners.

You are a fraud.

New Moon

I see the conservation.com, just like The Guardian, take out the begging bowl at the end of every article. Their noble cause needs your support.

But still, it's not about the clicks, apparently.

I particularly chose the long-term averages because they will even out all such months that you describe. That's the whole point of climatology. Yet we have cases where these averages are moving in anything but a clear way, and yet I thought they were saying the signals are clear and unambiguous? Apparently the only way is up and there's no stopping it. Except it's up a bit, down a bit, down another bit, up another bit...I'm feeling sick.

Likewise with the summer droughts. I'm sure back in 1942, when Dublin only got a record of just 0.8 mm in June, or in 1955, when the 0.7 mm July record was set, or the August record of 0.4 mm in 1995, people must have thought this is worrying, our summer rainfall is diminishing, and yet today, despite all the worries of "severe" droughts and browning fields, these records are still standing. Come back to me when we get another 1976 summer heatwave and then I'll sit up and listen.

Apparently the “ moon wobble” affect will come into play by the middle of the next decade.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

It's quite clear now that every single notable weather event that occurs is now being attributed to climate change, if this is the way the "powers that be" want to work this game, then it's high time that the public start demanding a return on their investment.

For starters, alot of the public have taken the line that humans are totally responsible for altering the weather, as many of our governments across many nations are advocating. These governments have levied harsh carbon taxes as "a response" to these unfolding extreme events.

Therefore, I highly encourage any person who has had their property or belongings or health damaged as a direct result of a weather (climate change) event to therefore sue the government for failing to prevent said damage.

The governments, on advice, of well respected scientists are advocating harsh taxes on energy, therefore it is only logical that such taxes redress any person affected by said climate change.

Sure, that would only be fair - right?

Keep receipts of ESB bills, home heating oil top-ups, motor fuel costs, etc... on standby - just in case.

That's a good idea. With an Italian living in the house my heating bill is sky-high during the winter and spring. I should have a good case for at least getting the VAT back on my heating bill because sometimes winter is cold and it shouldn't be anymore.

I watched this excellent video on the 'moon wobble' about a week ago.

And Banana is still a trolling fraud and a liar.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 8,913 ✭✭✭Danno

Apt

Jesus, you’re some man for cherry-picking

there’s a labour shortage over in the UK, you could single handedly save their fruit industry

• Advertisement

Going to address some of the false accusations made by BR1 yesterday.

"you aligned yourself with the conspiracy theorist and holocaust denier David Icke . You convicted yourself there I my opinion"

I did... when exactly? I never 'aligned myself' with David Icke.

"You have also flip flopped on a number of things, on page 26 you declared to everyone that you where done with this tread and stormed off, in what seemed to me as nothing but an attention seeking exercise only then to promptly returned spewing all sorts".

This is what I said:

"I like the new layout but it is near impossible to navigate and use. But it is this thread I can't take anymore. The unbearable stupidity of some on here is truly stomach churning. Climate 'experts' whom, if you asked them the name of the most basic form of cloud, would not be able to tell you without looking it up themselves.

'Storming off'? Feck check: false.

"spouting off things like “science caused climate change”

Where's the lie? and why did stating this fact cause you to become hysterical? Only an idiot would deny the no small role of science on climate change...

oh, wait...

"Or the other conspiracy, that covid is actually a weapon of war and the scientists who “developed” it are guilty of genocide, a claim that you have not backed up with one shred of evidence".

Where did I say that Covid was 'actually a weapon of war'? I don't recall... do remind me.

You have made a number of claims in this post of yours which are actually quite libellous, which is bad enough, but to come from such an eminent Harvard graduate like yourself...

New Moon

Most people know that spinal tap is a pretend band but some people think they are real. Given that you think the UK Met office are drooling over the thought of dead people increasing their social media hits, I thought you might be in the latter category

Some cherry picked data from Met Eireann:

• Highest annual total: 3964.9mm at Ballaghbeama Gap, Co Kerry in 1960
    • Highest hourly total: 52.2mm at Clonroche, Co. Wexford on 27th June 1986
    • Lowest annual total: 356.6mm at Glasnevin, Co Dublin in 1887
    • Longest absolute drought: 3rd April to 10th May 1938 in Limerick

New Moon

There are thousands of ‘notable’ weather events every day across the world. So that isn’t true. What is happening is that the weather events that can be explained by climate change are being linked to climate change

And scientific Studies are showing clear trends in extreme weather events

your idea of suing the government because they imposed carbon taxes is utterly ludicrous. You would be laughed out of court. However, courts are entertaining cases where energy companies are being sued because they successfully lobbied governments to not impose carbon taxes despite knowing that climate change was real at the time

Where did I say the 'UK Met Office are drooling over the though of dead people increasing there social media hits'?

Where did I say that Akrasia?

Show me...

New Moon

New Moon

• Advertisement

That's it? This is what you based your totally false claim on?

Where exactly did I mention the UK Met in that post?

New Moon

Advertisement