Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020: Athletics Thread

• 28-07-2021 9:14pm
    Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Think this deserves a thread of it's own!

Very excited for this, hopefully we'll see some terrific races. What are ye looking forward to most? For me I love all distances from 800m up to the marathon. Wouldn't have much of an interest personally in the field or sprint events, but I'll be keeping an eye on them all the same.

Here's a list of every athlete entered in every event which I'll be printing off to try and keep track of everything.

The Olympics website also have this start list package for Friday which is incredibly handy, some amount of information in it. I've been critical of the Olympics website previously but to be fair to them their athletics section seems pretty bang on, definitely one to bookmark!

In terms of previews, Let's Run have already started releasing their daily articles, starting yesterday with the Women's 5k and Men's 10k. Worth a read, even if they always fish for an American angle they're still pretty comprehensive. Track and Field News have also released their event top ten predictions also, starting with the women's side today.

Let's hope for a good games!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I'm not into athletics normally, but during the likes of the Olympics I'll get sucked into absolutely anything, so marking this thread for a follow!

• Registered Users Posts: 467 ✭✭Dave1711

Here as an expert critic with my couch to 5k badges.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

Can't wait!

Useful link below to AI website with the schedule for Irish athletes competing each day from Friday, and local times for each event:

https://www.athleticsireland.ie/news/toyko-olympics-athletics-preview/?fbclid=IwAR0w37mZmM_LfY9MtiHc94qdymg18zbBnbpI_fvix-NtQHkpx6nzYCrq2oM

• Registered Users Posts: 3,988 ✭✭✭Cosmo Kramer

From an Irish perspective I hope people who only follow athletics at the Olympics will appreciate that, while we have sent a large athletes team this time around, almost all are well down the rankings in their event and in many cases, have done well just to qualify.

A couple of finals is the best we could hope for here, we have no realistic medal chances in athletics barring something weird happening relating to Covid with large numbers of other competitors having to withdraw.

Really looking forward to following them all the same and it should be a really interesting week in general also outside of the Irish interest.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,837 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Looking forward to the following:

Womens 200, Mens 200

Mens and womens 1500

Womens 800, Mu is something special.

For the first time that i can remember the men's 100 is not the main event!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,811 ✭✭✭deisedude

Very disappointing to see Sam Kendricks out of the pole vault with COVID. He would have been a contender for Gold

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

How was the entire Australian team caught up in it as well? All but two of them are now released from needing to isolate.

You shouldn't be mixing with another team right now, and you probably shouldn't be having your entire team in the same place at the same time either. It sucks for the people taking part in this Olympics missing out on the village atmosphere and seeing other events which they would get otherwise, but some simple precautions can prevent your entire team being booted out.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,363 ✭✭✭Hamachi

Yes. Agree with this. Our best chance of reaching the Olympic final is Thomas Barr in the men’s 400m hurdles. Having said that, the event is ultra competitive and he may need to set a new national record just to make top 8.

I also have a good feeling about Ciara Mageean in the women’s 1500m. She seems to be rounding into form at the right time and has the experience of negotiating rounds in global championships. It also helps that several ‘sure thing’ finalists including Gudaf Tsegay and Shelby Houlihan will not be competing in the 1500m for various reasons. If Ciara can get into the final, you never know what might happen. Top 6 isn’t out of the question.

My gut tells me that Sarah Healy might also surprise a few people in the 1500m. I feel like she is ready to drop a few seconds from her PB. In my opinion, she should be targeting the semi-finals. I’d love for Mark English to do well in the men’s 800m, but can’t see him progressing beyond the heats. Hope that he proves me wrong.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

Ciara hasn't been in any kind of form since last Summer and hasn't come remotely close to her own PB this year, so on current form I'd be deeply shocked if she makes the final or indeed challenges for top 6.

Thomas Barr is probably our best shot at making a final but likely won't be anywhere near the medals. I wouldn't rule out Sarah Healy making the semi's in the 1500.

Nadia Power is in a tough heat of a very tough event, will struggle to get out of the heats imo.

Ciara Mageean ran 4:02:48 finishing fifth in Monaco on July 9th. That’s only two seconds outside her PB. I’m sure she is timing her peak for Tokyo. I wouldn’t be surprised to see her nail a sub-4 there. Most crucially in Monaco, she beat athletes like Esther Guerrero from Spain and Cory McGee / Heather McLean from the US who will be knocking on the door of the final. I feel like you’re underestimating her.

Agree on Nadia Power. She hasn’t a hope. Sarah Healy is far more likely to do some damage in the 1500m.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 439 ✭✭paddythere

What time is the mens 10,000m final on at anybody? (Irish time)

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,255 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Events I'm looking forward to -

Women's 100m, 400m H and marathon. Then the Women's 800m and 1,500m due to Irish interests.

Men's 200m, 400 mH, 800m, 1,500m, 5k and marathon.

Green jersey on but then substitute it for a European jersey when it suits. Will be cheering particularly for Jakob, Katir, Kerr and Muir. And Warholm(if Barr doesn't get through).

Outside of Europe I like McSweyn too and would really enjoy seeing one of the American rookies do something amazing like Cole Hocker in 1500 or Isaiah Jewett in the 800. Seeing Mu on the Olympic stage I think could be one of the standouts of the T&F. Then there's the unpredictable entity of Joseph Fanbulleh in the men's 200. He's an American athlete (I think) but representing Liberia. He has an almost unmatched top end speed but his start kills him every time so still very raw at 19 years old.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

Can't wait for it to get started, won't sleep for a weejlk.

Barr should have just enough to get to the final, Mcgeehan too,she should be spot on with v little hard racing. Healy could step up and show us all that she is going to be the athlete we hoped she'd be 3/4yrs ago.

There's an Irish woman that I won't mention that I think might suprise us all, she seems to be the forgotton one and she likes it that way, had a big Q a good while now , been quietly pottering away getting the hay in the barn , ready for the big day ,

I hope the rest put in decent pb ish performances, but can't see any get too far.

Are you the poster who last year was trying to convince me that Ciara could medal at World/Olympic level? Don't feel I'm underestimating her at all, just going by her results. She had a great Summer last year but her form then fell off a cliff, and then exacerbated by the death of Jerry Kiernan.

Yes Monaco was a step forward, but I'll need a bit more evidence to determine if she's back to her best and in any kind of PB form. I personally don't think she's in PB shape and the SF's is her ceiling here, but hopefully I'm totally wrong and you're right.

Nadia Power is in a very tough heat, which she's unlikely to get out of, but I actually think Cléirigh-Buttner has a shot.

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭What.Now

Already a faller in the first heat!

Easy peasy stuff for Girma there, Miura looked fantastic in second place though. And a national record to boot, can't say I've ever taken any notice of him before.

Bedrani way back in 8:20, that's surely him out now. Something of a shock.

Wow, Bett and Bor both out of steeplechase! Entirely their own fault, left it all far too late and got out kicked by unheralded opposition. Fair play for Raitanen and Phelut for seizing their chances.

Nadia way off in 7th place unfortunately, but was always going to be a tough ask. She might be disappointed to be so far off her PB though.

Defending world champion Nakaayi could be out in 4th place, has to wait and see.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,831 ✭✭✭✭Strazdas

Our three 800m runners were pretty poor it has to be said (but having said that, expectations would have been very low so it's cool).

I think Shanahan was the best of the three given her youth and inexperience.

• Advertisement

Nice easy qualification for Barr.

Yeah. Disappointing performances in the 800m. No point in sugar coating it.

Thomas Barr looked solid. Unfortunately, he has drawn an absolute stinker of a semi final. He’s in the same race as Karsten Warholm, Rai Benjamin, and Yasmani Copello. Hopefully, he can latch on to them and get dragged into the final via a small q.

Incredibly fast times in the women’s 100m first round. The Jamaicans looked imperious; the Americans much less so. From a European perspective, Alja Del Ponte from Switzerland looked good running a new national record of 10:91. Alexandra Burghardt from Germany also looks to be in good form.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

• Registered Users Posts: 7,861 ✭✭✭Christy42

4 golds or the team isn't let back into the country.

Seriously though I think a lot of people don't see just how many people they beat to get there. Since most don't see qualifying competitions (and to be fair there is a lot of them across all sports so I doubt any but an enthusiastic journalist has seen them all) they just see how they perform vs the very, very best instead of the normal international field where they did well and qualified.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,043 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

Grrr.

Womens 5k heats going on at the moment, but only choices on the BBC site are football or rugby 7s because the only deal available to any broadcasters is to have a max of 2 live streams or we have to pay for a Discovery subscription. Hopefully they put the athletics on after the football has finished.

The TV/ online coverage during London 2012 spoiled us.

• Registered Users Posts: 933 ✭✭✭jamule

McColgan wat d fook, out the back and dying on her arse.she got a bad bump possilbly spiked.

• Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭ultrawoman

So sad for Eilish😓

That's a shock for McColgan, she was a lock for the final.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,492 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Gosh - we're really spoilt for choice, with RTE 2 showing the Athletics, BBC and Eurosport 1 and 2. You should move back. 😁

Hassan looking very strong, and is definitely going to make it a great final. I'm sorry for McColgan, but it looked like after a bit of pushing and jostling in the pack, she lost her concentration. Hopefully not injured. She still has the 10,000, right?

• Advertisement

This mixed relay is such a strange event. I like it though!

Ireland finished 4th there, hopefully enough to get into the final with a fastest loser spot.

Advertisement