Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tokyo 2020: Athletics Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,564 ✭✭✭ahnowbrowncow

The mens 200m semi finals were very interesting, Lyles eased at the line but ended up finishing third with all three athletes running 19.99. Nervous wait for him to see if he qualified with a fastest qualifying time and was lucky enough as the last race was very fast with De Grasse getting a NR.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

No surprise to see Mu get the gold. Not surprised to see Hodgkinson get a medal too but I thought it'd be a bronze. Thought Reekie would get the silver.

Was so focused on the top two that I didn't actually notice Reekie being snuck upon on the line. Rogers finished exactly the same way she did in Doha, lethal sprint! 4th is tough for Reekie but she gave it her all, can't do any more.

• Registered Users Posts: 54,692 ✭✭✭✭walshb

21.53...wow!

• Registered Users, Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,327 Mod ✭✭✭✭yerwanthere123

SAFP kept off the podium by Mboma 😬 Nice bronze for Thomas too. Miller Uibo gave up when she realised she had no chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,642 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Well there you go, not in top form but still medalled after a horrendous start.

This track is wicked fast btw. The lack of a camp in Japan prior to the Olympics has obviously affected lots of the US athletes.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

Mu is phenomenal. Delighted to see Fanbulleh making 200 final too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭YFlyer

Pity it wasn't possible for Warholm to chance the 400 flat. Could reach the final?

He might go and do that, he's always looking for something else to do but I hoped he doesn't.

He has over 20 consecutive wins already. I think he should go after Ed Moses winning streak of 122.

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭Eclectic Econometrics

I got on Erriyon Knighton at 8/1 last night. He might not win me anything but his new odds at 5/2 are only now a truer reflection of his chances. Whatever happens here he will be a monster in Paris.

Could get lured into a Diamond League flat 400m event. Low 44s be on the cards. Imagine if he broke 44?

• Advertisement

Attempting Moses record be something else. Would he be adamant to win heats and semifinals? Remember Michael Johnson losing a meet 400m flat as he was under the weather.

Can see he be selective and race fewer races to get faster times.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

His PB is 44.87 from 2017, when his hurdles PB was 48 something. He's improved by over 2 seconds in the hurdles, so I'd nearly expect him to run mid 43. The European record is 44.33 from 1987. Well overdue a savage revision.

Exactly. I thought he was 45 flat. However, as you said he would take chunks off it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

(Assuming it's clean) that's an absolutely incredible run by Warholm, 3/4 of a second.... Fvck me!

Question Re:shoes etc....

Back in the spring, all. The talk was about shoes, cleats, PEBAX cleats, and fast times. Reading from a far, I expected records to fall especially at the Olympics. What's happened? Was it just hype from the shoe companies, or was there some other factor in play?

His Puma shoes are designed different than than Nike ones. Devral O'Rourke mentioned some collaboration between Puma and Mercedes Benz. Using carbon fibre, I believe.

Warholm is probably physically at his absolute peak now. Maybe he’ll give the more prestigious 400 a shot. He can surely go low 44s…possibly sub 44…

Separately: I think 45.94 is even better than 43.03…

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,146 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Warholm was complaining about Nike shoes today:

While praising Benjamin’s performance in winning a silver medal in 46.17, a time that also broke the previous world record, he said it was wrong that Nike athletes could run in a thick slab of super-responsive Pebax foam in sprint spikes.

“I don’t see why you should put anything beneath a sprinting shoe,” he said. “In middle distance I can understand it because of the cushioning. If you want cushioning, you can put a mattress there. But if you put a trampoline I think it’s bullshit, and I think it takes credibility away from our sport.”

but his shoes are "fine".

Warholm explained he had worked with the Mercedes Formula One team and Puma to develop his own racing spike, but insisted his was very different to the Nike shoe as it was close enough to be compared to previous spikes down the years. “Yes, we have the carbon plate,” said Warholm. “But we have tried to make it as thin as possible. Because that is the way I would like to do it. Of course technology will always be there. But I also want to keep it down to a level where we can compare results because that is important.”

https://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/03/karsten-warholm-slams-super-spikes-as-threat-to-track-and-field-credibility

The sprints have been amazing so far but the longer distances (steeplechase, 5 and 10k) have been pretty average races as spectacles. The women's steeplechase is the one I'm mostly looking forward to tomorrow, hoping for an exciting race. Courtney Frerich said to reporters that she's in the shape of her life and thinks running sub 9 is possible. Whether that's true or not it makes me hopeful we might see a fast time.

Would love Emma Coburn to win the gold but I think it's a stretch, although she should surely get on the podium. Would love Krause to get there too but not sure she's in that kind of shape right now.

WR could go for the women's 400 hurdles also. McLaughlin obviously the heavy favourite for gold, with Muhammad and Bol the other two podium favourites. McLaughlin should win and possibly set the WR as she does, but if she does falter I'd actually tip Bol instead of Muhammad to take the gold. Looking forward to that one too.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,049 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Quick question where are all the GB 400m runners?! They have a long history of good athletes in that length...but not a single entry this year...I see they are in relay though.

Identical women's 400m hurdles. McLaughlin breaks her own WR for gold, Muhammad inside the old world record for silver, and Bol very nearly cracks 52 seconds for bronze. Fabulous race!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,115 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Yeah, Bol now third all-time!

Interesting article in the Guardian where the track designer suggests the track improves performances by 1-2%.

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/2021/aug/03/tokyo-track-designer-reveals-boost-from-new-surface-as-records-fall-at-olympics

43:03 is a ridicules time. Done by the only guy that has ran sub 10; sub 20 and sub 44.

Delighted to see Jessica Hull get a PB and comfortably qualify for the 1500m final. Bar Purrier needing a time qualifier pretty much everything else went to plan.

Felix into another final.

So nervous about what we may get in this steeplechase final, fear we'll have some fallers 😬 Hoping Coburn gets on the podium at least, gold would be phenomenal

Laura Muir qualify in 1500?

Chemutai... what?! Don't think anyone had her near the podium. Some front running from Courtney Frerich to split the field.

What on Earth happened to Coburn? Oh my God just saw she was disqualified. Think she fell into the inside track with a lap to go.

She looked extremely comfortable, saving loads by the looks of things. She'd be my favourite.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,958 ✭✭✭kirk.

KJT Achilles trouble

Not sure why BBC is discussing continuing, it's out of the question

Advertisement