Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Looks like very little to no rain here either for a least another week according the models.

How anyone can say that today is 'cool' needs their head or bloods seen to in my opinion. 19c here at the moment and it feels warm and humid as hell, even in that poor attempt of a breeze.

New Moon

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Still raining here in Meath and feeling almost cold. 14C and a miserable wet evening. The traditional Irish Atlantic summer is back. Just a few hours ago it was still warm and humid, very different feel now in just a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,266 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

raining a lot of today in North Dublin but still warm with it

• Registered Users Posts: 5,789 ✭✭✭appledrop

Well flooding in NCD made the rte news.

Mad how torrential it was.

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭J Cheevor Loophole

Lurker here, wondering about the heavy rain. Is (or was it) just confined to North Dublin / coastal areas ?

Thanks in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,707 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Very heavy rain in Meath today, close to 30mm fell in a few hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Donegal Ken

A good potential across Atlantic coastal counties tonight. Risk of flooding in places also.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,779 ✭✭✭sporina

I was on Cape Clear on Sunday and twas so hot that the nail varnish on my toes melted (i kid you not)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

We only had 6mm in my area (rathkenny) yesterday, up to 7.6mm now after a couple of overnight showers, dry at the moment

• Registered Users Posts: 887 ✭✭✭alentejo

I miss the good weather. Back to dodging showers and ultimately getting wet while cycling

• Advertisement

Horrible day here in Meath, cool, blustery and very wet, may as well be mid October. Most people with their winter coats back on to avoid the downpours.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,727 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

Lovely weather today, not too warm, thunderstorms and some rain/hail.

The rain is needed where I am as it has been a drought, missed all the rain before today.

Biblical rain now at Dunshaughlin, gutters overflowing, cool only 13C and no thunder.

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭Glossy1

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

Definite north south split in meath today regarding the weather, 1 shower here produced 0.5mm earlier, breezy, sunny and dry since, while athboy, trim, dunshauglin, ashbourne seem to be getting the showers

Should be an improvement in the weather and a respite from the rain over the weekend and on Monday with temperatures recovering to near normal values. Looks like turning very unsettled again from Tuesday/Wednesday next week. Sunday will probably be a good opportunity to cut the gardens while the weather is dry.

Normal for the end of July is temperatures around 17/18C to 21C.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,876 ✭✭✭pauldry

What about the new normal?

Q - have any of ye noticed pigeons behaving differently during the hot weather? I had to break 3 times while driving those days.. twas like they had a death wise... slow to move - 3 near misses.. I wonder if the weather was affecting them?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Dublin airport 16c at 2.30pm. Dropped to 10.9c at 3pm.

Rain heavy in Ulster was forecast yesterday

Malin Head 2mm (Ulster)

Markree Castle 35mm (Connaught)

Sligo 32mm (Connaught)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭OldRio

We had very heavy rainfall yesterday in Leitrim. Heating went on for a while last night. Huge difference from last week

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,814 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

I have often found as the food becomes more plentiful during the summer months especially during harvest that pigeons often get very heavy and preoccupied with collecting as much grain and other foodstuffs off the roads, could be the heat also no doubt bearing in mind that road surfaces would have reached well over 40C recently and have noticed the birds in general became much quieter and inclined to take to cover more during the hot spell, must get increasingly difficult for them to locate water , probably having to fly a lot further to source it leading to more fatigue, our ponds dried out completely and we put loads of water out for them which they duly availed of .

No such problem in Kerry today though 😀 15.1C after a low of 12.6C

1.4mm since midnight giving a total of 17.4mm including yesterdays rain, ponds well full again and birds very busy on the lawns feeding off worms.

• Registered Users Posts: 246 ✭✭littlema

Bucketing rain in Sligo Town this 20 mins but NOTHING on radar nor anything promised. 😑

Raintoday showing slight echoes but radar readings not great at best of times

The rainfall predictive app on my phone has fairly widespread showers over Sligo today

yr.no has 0.5mm predicted though they got yesterday badly wrong. They predicted 12mm I think and there was 32mm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

Storm Evert has been named by the UK met office. Gusts of 55 to 65mph and possibly 75mph in exposed coastal areas of Cornwall. Nothing of note for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

And that's worthy of getting named? Ok, let's not go down that road again...

• Advertisement

What was the heatwave named?

Advertisement