Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Summer 2021 General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Was the same here all afternoon but once the cloud cleared a couple of hours ago the temp shot up to nearly 19c!

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,996 ✭✭✭mcburns07

Not great at all in East Cork. Could be late September early October today.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,524 ✭✭✭✭sryanbruen

I also found this interesting (last post on UK related stats for now I promise). June/July 2021 were the 4th warmest June/July combo since 1884 but this was largely down to minimum temperatures (Tmin) rather than maximum temperatures (Tmax) away from Scotland and Northern Ireland. England only had its 12th warmest June/July since 1884 for Tmax instance but second warmest for Tmin.

Very odd summer.

Warmer than Arklow and we had a fair bit of sun at times

High 17.6c here

Currently 15.4c

• Registered Users Posts: 1,570 ✭✭✭Tyrone212

That's interesting Sryan. It has been a weird summer here, June was poor sunshine wise, not overly wet but a good bit more compared to other parts of the country when some places only had 1mm if I remember right.

July was mixed before and after the record breaking heat here. Overall a great month though IMO, after that spell I can't really complain.

Hopefully August picks up for us all.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭zisdead

Only another 55.8 C more to go to equal Verkhoyansk's annual temperature range of 105.8 °C :)

Ha. Their climate is brutal, I just had a look.

Met office thunderstorm warning for all of the North on Friday 10am to 23.59. There would be exceptional flooding if the 80 to 100mm came to pass especially in that time frame.

"However, where the showers do occur there is potential for 20-30mm of rain in a short space of time and during the course of the day there is a chance that some places could see as much as 80-100mm build up."

• Registered Users Posts: 1,779 ✭✭✭snowgal

Lovely eve here near Trim. Out in the sun.... ok not hot but warm enough for sunbathing

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Great video here by Alex Deacon of the UK Met Office. Talks about how models are used in forecasts and he pretty much disses the idea of deterministic runs post day 4 or 5 and that 'probabilistic' .. or ensemble charts, are a much better tool to use. He also speaks of how the press just make up ridiculous weather stories and headlines ('35c sizzler on the way' for example) on dodgy data.

Gets into the model talk around 17 mins into the video.

New Moon

• Advertisement

He's right

I see he's presenting the weather on the GB news channel now...

Meanwhile, yesterday was a decent dry day in Arklow and today has continued nice for the 4th day in a row (with the exception of a brief 6pm heavy shower Saturday)

Its a pleasure 16c currently

• Registered Users Posts: 6,903 ✭✭✭pauldry

Surely there should be weather warning out for heavy rainfall for Thursday and Friday.

Some places certain to get over 40mm

• Registered Users Posts: 33,730 ✭✭✭✭RobertKK

One can see the inland south east was particularly dry in July, which I posted about before. Also around Cavan.

yr.no keeps the Friday Rainfall prediction for Sligo at 58mm.

It had downgraded to 36mm. Also 20mm tomorrow too and 10 to 15mm on Saturday and Sunday.

My rain gauge is at 100mm at present since I put new batteries in.

Wonder what it will be at Sunday evening.

200mm?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,678 ✭✭✭SleetAndSnow

Says 2.1mm for my location on Friday! Mad how much heavier the rain will be up there, hopefully there won't be too much flooding!

• Registered Users Posts: 890 ✭✭✭alentejo

Looks like the next 2 days are a write off!

Well I guess isnt August the annual monsoon season

Status Yellow - Thunderstorm warning for Ireland

Met Éireann Weather Warning

Thundery spells of rain with the risk of lightning and local hail. Locailsed flooding and hazardous driving conditions.

Valid: 06:00 Thursday 05/08/2021 to 19:00 Thursday 05/08/2021

Warning up here for tomorrow as well 1pm to 10pm.

Persistent rain in the morning will clear eastward in the afternoon with more scattered heavy and thundery showers breaking out. These will be slow moving with accumulations of 10-20mm in an hour and 30-40mm in 3-4 hours, with a few locations potentially seeing 40-50mm in 6-9 hours. Some localised flooding and disruption to the transport network is possible. Showers will continue through the evening and overnight, but easing in intensity.

With a seperate rain warning for Friday 20 to 30mm in short time and some areas possibly seeing 80 to 100mm by the end of the day. There could be some severe flooding.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,075 ✭✭✭✭namloc1980

Always amazed each year at the amount of people who take time off in August and stay at home or holiday in Ireland. August is almost always rubbish here weather wise, yet huge numbers of people where I work are off on their stay at home holidays this week and next. They'll all be complaining about the crap weather they had when they come back as well no doubt.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

The next 7 to 10 days is looking very grim indeed with up to 130mm of rain expected in some places. August is starting to look like a complete and utter write off. Even the signals for warm and settled conditions later on are starting to weaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 913 ✭✭✭JPup

At least that chart’s not too bad for Dublin and Cork cities as well as the south east which has the biggest concentration of holiday homes in the country.

Clutching at straws a bit maybe! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭External Association

I take leave in May and September. You won't get 30C but in general get better weather.

In September I usually get a fortnight of 19-22C. Light from 7 am until 7.45 pm ish and can do lots of activities in Ireland.

I know a scientific reason has been put forward for our poor recent Augusts. We're a long way from the heatwaves of August 1995 and 2003. 2010 was good. 2016 passable in the south Midlands.

Yeah it rains a lot here in Sligo.

Probably about 80 to 100mm a month on average so to see over 100mm in a week will cause bad floods if it happens.

Of course the atmosphere can hold more moisture around August hence it spits it all out in one go most years.

As for rest of August I wouldnt write it off Gonzo.

Remember the heatwave was 15th to 25th July and a lot of people were sick of it so even a week of fine weather will lift our moods.

My bet is on the Week of August 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Gaoth Laidir

Greece is 5-6 degrees cooler today than it was yesterday (up 46 °C). The heatwave is moving off east of there as the westerly flow spreads over more of the Mediterranean.

A few showers in Arklow earlier

But sunny now and in-between

Its a lovely 19.1c atm

• Registered Users Posts: 2,303 ✭✭✭Dazler97

Heavy thundery showers in the North, rainfall was easily 40mm/hr showers lasted around 10 mins

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

Not totally writing off the whole of August but definitely the first half is looking grim. The hope of more settled and warmer conditions seems to be delayed day by day and now we may be looking at the 3rd week of August before we see a serious improvement in the weather. I am also expecting fairly dry and settled conditions for the first half of September as is usually the case most Septembers. Despite the past week being cool and wet, today was a very welcome break from the rain and cool conditions. A lovely aftternoon here in Meath and it got close to 22C earlier with very warm sunshine.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Weather has been fine in Dublin the past few days. Been out and about each day and nothing more than one short shower. As I said before this summer already delivered with June and July so nice. It was always going to be a stretch to get all three months good. Even this week while cloudy it has been mostly dry. Coming days look grim enough but who really knows what next week will even have in store, I never trust forecasts past 4-5 days

Advertisement