Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your gardening photos

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 683 ✭✭✭FlipperThePriest

DeadSkin wrote: »
    Hi - what camera do you have?

TP Link Tapo Camera from Amazon

• Registered Users Posts: 13,694 ✭✭✭✭ctrl-alt-delete

I have not had much chance to get done what I wanted to do with the main piece of garden this year (yet...) We have had some great shows from our old reliables and the front entrance to the main Garden turned out quite well.

We have two magnolia trees, the main one had the most flowers it has ever had this year, but they were damaged by an unexpected two day frost just as they were starting to open.

557330.jpg
    557331.jpg

It is nice to see the burst of colour that Summer is bringing, the two photo's below show the contrast.

557329.jpg
    557332.jpg

Our Rhodedendron's did well this year, they are showing some growth now after flowering. The pink one is years old and potted, the red is about 2 years and planted in that raised bed and the yellow is a year with us in a pot.

3aOhqdm.jpg
    pNApktf.jpg
    SGNcq4i.jpg

Finally the roses, these were covered in aphids at one stage, but they seem to have gone now thankfully. Two climbers around that entrance pergola.

TPrYgEL.jpg
    sHkP3Cm.jpg
    w0i1A9C.jpg
    LduHVDe.jpg

We have had some casualties this year after a harsh Winter and Spring here in Northern England. The fuscias are still tiny shoots, the Hydrangea has just stopped after having growth and our Peony flowers seem to have become deformed.
    Apologies for the plethora of images.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭SnowyMuckish

Even on the most sodden miserable evenings the vibrancy of the Vipers Bugloss brightens the dullest corners. My stop and smile moment of the day as the rain dollops down.

557568.jpeg

557569.jpeg

I managed to grow just one successfully from seed a few years ago, now they’ve finally taken over. Bees are slowly beginning to cluster.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,513 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

I often wonder why thalictrum are not more popular.

Great job, lovely plant!

Post edited by SnowyMuckish on

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

be still my beating heart😍

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Harris8855

Love my colourful meadow - bursting with colour, bees and butterflies

Love seeing all of your photos too!

Thanks for the thread!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,248 ✭✭✭Gloomtastic!

^ Lovely! The emergence of wild flower meadows along public highways in Dublin is a joy to behold. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,183 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

@Harris8855 that's stunning, how did you achieve that?

Post edited by Leg End Reject on

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

My little bit of heaven first thing in the morning sitting amongst the plants and flowers. Two pics last week in the sun and this morning after the rain. Lovely fresh air after a night of rain.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭galaxy12

Garden transformation - Tree Birch /betula jacquemontii and shrub - osmanthus fortunei

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

what's going on with my raspberries??

• Registered Users Posts: 4,513 ✭✭✭Xander10

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭galaxy12

• Registered Users Posts: 1,042 ✭✭✭Mr.Wemmick

Not sure about everyone else's garden, but due to the wet cold spell early Summer, everything was delayed and is only now bursting into life. I usually stick to three main colours in the garden: white, purple, some orange and the odd red from Crocosmia Lucifer (first pic) as I dearly love that plant. Lock down over 2020 meant I no longer cared and planted all the plants and the clash of colours have come into their own this Summer, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 135 ✭✭Zxc01

lovely but are only lasting a day😥

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Apologies for posting this here as it's not a photo of mine, but I can't seem to find a generic chat thread. This looks like a great idea:

The ‘cultivated’ wildflower meadow is in full swing now. Almost all annuals this year so hoping the perennials will make a show next year.

I love the history behind the corn marigold. I got this from ’Seedaholic’:

”The corn marigold was probably introduced with the introduction of agriculture and has certainly been around since the Iron Age. It was once so common and damaging to crops that its destruction was required. During the 13th century in Scotland as a law of Alexander II states that if a farmer allows so much as a single plant to produce seed in amongst his crops then he will be fined a sheep.”

According to ‘wildflowers of Ireland’:

“This species is classed as NEAR THREATENED in the Red Data List of Vascular Plants 2016.... it was an enormous pest as it grew in among the native cereal crops and it was not until the 1970's when an effective herbicide joined the battle, that the plant started its decline.”

Very sad really considering how brilliant it is for pollinators. I’ve been watching the corn marigold closely over the past few weeks and I’ve been amazed by how many pollinators it attracts. The field is full of them and each one has up to 5 insects vying for a spot inside one.

This one has me a bit demented. I’ve been trying to determine if it’s Mayweed or Chamomile. But maybe someone with a better eye can help!

As for my ‘wild’ wildflower garden, ie the area left to Mother Nature herself... it’s definitely holding it’s own!

Anyone know what this grass is? It has very fine brown/red bits growing at the end

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 76,210 Mod ✭✭✭✭New Home

Tall fescue, festuca arundinacea, perhaps?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,491 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

Looks more like pheasant grass to me

Yes I think you’re right after a bit more research. Pheasant tail grass or New Zealand wind grass. Saw it yesterday, fantastic delicate flowers on top. Thanks RA!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,729 ✭✭✭Bawnmore

Not even close to the same as others here, but cut the grass yesterday after seeding and it's the first time we've had an actual back garden since we bought the house a year ago. Lots of digger work etc to get it level(ish) that we had put off with other things. It's not much, but it's a starting point for sure.

Post edited by Bawnmore on

• Registered Users Posts: 3,115 ✭✭✭Ms2011

echinacea purpurea

Pumpkin

Peony

Penstemon

I only took to vegetable gardening last year to keep my head afloat during the lockdown. I learned a lot in the first year and although my space is small it's productive enough for me. Last year 80% of my garden was potatoes, this year I've managed to wiggle that down to about 30% with an early and late crop and added more beds and veg to the menu.

So far this year I've harvested bout 4kg of new potatoes 30 onions, 20 carrots and four cabbages (which were eaten by caterpillars and slugs so they went in the brown bin) and two freezer bags full of runner beans.

I picked up a small greenhouse and made a small raised bed beside it where I've got tomatoes and salad stuff, onions and lettuce and I added an herb border behind the veg patch too. I don't know why my pictures are sideways but I'm hopefully going to get some healthy marmande tomatoes this year.

And this little fella stayed with me for the whole thing.

• My garden in the rain last Saturday.

The only photo of what it looked like before we started, after the builders left, in August 2019.

The front garden last spring.

And then a few weeks ago...

Shaded 'exotic' bed I planted a few weeks ago.

Side bed I did last August.

Same bed 11 months on with lots of additions.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭secman

A few photos of our rural garden, enjoy.

Advertisement